Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones - A Degree Of Murder (Extracts Released)
Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: April 28, 2022 14:27

This release seems to have gone under the radar somewhat. It's only extracts admittedly, but still nice to see something from Brian.
Apologies, and please delete if this has already been mentioned here - I couldn't find a similar post.

[www.roughtrade.com] ... -of-murder

Selected Extracts From The Original Soundtrack of A Degree Of Murder
Brian Jones

"In early 1967 Brian Jones found time in between Stones tours to record the soundtrack to the film Mord und Totschlag, starring his then- partner Anita Pallenberg as Marie. In the film Marie shoots her ex-boyfriend with his own gun after he attempts to beat her up. Instead of reporting this to the police she hires two men to help her dump the body in a construction site near an autobahn. Although the film was entered into the 1967 Cannes Film Festival it is known today chiefly for its soundtrack. The tracks on this EP provide you with the musical highlights from the soundtrack, which has never officially been released. Talking to Rolling Stone in 2012 collaborator Jimmy Page said "Brian knew what he was doing. It was quite beautiful. Some of it was made up at the time; some of it was stuff I was augmenting with him. I was definitely playing with the violin bow. Brian had this guitar that had a volume pedal – he could get gunshots with it. There was a Mellotron there. He was moving forward with ideas."
All music composed and played by Brian Jones on the following instruments: sitar, organ, guitar, recorder, bass, banjo, dulcimer, harmonica. Also featuring Jimmy Page: guitars; Nicky Hopkins: piano; Kenney Jones: drums; Peter Gosling: keyboards, Mellotron, vocals; Mike Leander: orchestra; Glyn Johns: engineering. Recorded January - February 1967 @ IBC and Olympic Studios, London. Broadcast on ZDF TV 1969."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-28 14:28 by Barkerboy2.

Re: Brian Jones - A Degree Of Murder (Extracts Released)
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 28, 2022 15:34

It has been discussed in the Hot Stuff section

[iorr.org]

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 28, 2022 17:46

And while nicely presented, it is not official.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: April 28, 2022 17:54

johnnythunders
It has been discussed in the Hot Stuff section

[iorr.org]

Thank you!!

Date: May 21, 2022 17:25

I hadn’t realized that this had been released officially. Is the soundtrack on the Blu-ray separate from the movie? As in a separate selection, or did someone extract the music from the actual movie and then upload it somewhere? I also didn’t realize Blu-ray’s weren’t all region free as. Thought they were. There are a few different versions of this release it seems. A region free Blu-ray, a region B one, and a 2 disc Blu-ray/DVD limited edition set.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 21, 2022 21:48

After giving this a listen, I'd say if people werent aware of/turned on by the Brian Jones (and Jimmy Page) connection up front, they'd find it pretty unremarkable. Hyped on occasion as a lost holy grail work of misunderstood genius, its fairly generic inoffensive 60's background music. Could be by anybody. "Mahoneys Last Stand" wins by a country mile...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-21 21:51 by roryfaninva.

Date: May 23, 2022 05:33

So nobody knows if the soundtrack is included as say a bonus audio portion or something on either version that was released? Apparently there’s a Blu-ray and a Blu-ray/DVD.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 23, 2022 11:11

Shouldn't people named 'William Perks' rename themselves?

- Doxa

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 23, 2022 11:13

VoodooLounge13
So nobody knows if the soundtrack is included as say a bonus audio portion or something on either version that was released? Apparently there’s a Blu-ray and a Blu-ray/DVD.

Apparently the original tapes are lost.
This release is just extracts from the movie pressed onto vinyl. It's the music you would hear in the film, not anything new.

Date: May 23, 2022 14:56

No I’m inquiring about the video release. It has been released on Blu-ray so I’m wondering if the soundtrack is a part of that?

Date: May 23, 2022 15:23

VoodooLounge13
No I’m inquiring about the video release. It has been released on Blu-ray so I’m wondering if the soundtrack is a part of that?

OK sorry. I haven't seen the Blu-Ray. But I don't think there is a soundtrack. Only bits of music from the movie itself. I hope that's not true, though, and I hope there is a soundtrack somewhere.

Date: May 23, 2022 15:26

OK thanks. When you say the tapes are lost, were they part of the Universal fire from a few years back, or they've just been misplaced somewhere?

Date: May 23, 2022 15:52

VoodooLounge13
OK thanks. When you say the tapes are lost, were they part of the Universal fire from a few years back, or they've just been misplaced somewhere?

My info only comes from the premiere of one of the recent movies about Brian in central London a couple years ago (with his grandson there and even Dick Taylor and Phil May).
I asked the director (Danny Garcia) if they had the tapes and they said no, they have been lost.
Of course, someone could still have them. Lost doesn't mean they don't exist.
But those guys who had some clout with the Jones family said they were "lost."
The movie is Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones.

Date: May 23, 2022 15:58

I saw that one. An interesting movie. Have the vinyl soundtrack, too, and buying it on Amazon, it came with the digital download. Some OK songs on it.

Posted by: willnash ()
Date: May 27, 2022 14:43

There is one roll of film that Stu shot of these sessions - Jimmy Page used a couple in his autobiography. The most significant aspect is Page’s early use of a bow on the guitar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home