Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Liverpool 1971
Posted by: Jaymitchell2001 ()
Date: April 27, 2022 14:15

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and it’s regarding a possible university project I’m doing. I was wondering if any of you were at The Stones’ last Liverpool show or know anyone that was? If so would you be willing to answer a few a questions about it?

Re: Liverpool 1971
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 27, 2022 14:21

Jaymitchell2001

If so would you be willing to answer a few a questions about it?

Maybe it's helpful to post your questions here as well - the replies will then come automatically ....

Date: April 27, 2022 14:31

Irix
Jaymitchell2001

Maybe it's helpful to post your questions here as well - the replies will then come automatically ....

That would make most sense, however any quotes/answers I take from it will be flagged as plagiarism through the University automatic checking system as it’s then in the public.

Anyone willing to help is able to contact me via email which is jaymitchell2001@gmail.com

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 27, 2022 15:22

1971 ..... Liverpool. A hystoric year of my life. But ... bad news. I didn't see the Stones in Liverpool that year, because I had arranged with friends to see them in Bristol (Colston Hall, March 9). No regrets whatsoever, because it was a great concert.
Back in Liverpool I heard that there had been some problems, because the Stones arrived (about an hour or so) late. Fans became impatient and some riots occurred, meaning that the mood during the concert wasn't as it should be.
An insider told me some things I can't tell here. It had to do with Bill Wyman laughing on stage when "somebody" suddenly appeared from behind an ran across the stage, disappearing as quickly as he came.
I remember like if it were yesterday, that I bought Sticky Fingers as soon as it arrived in the stores that year. I was fascinated by the difference of the logos. One was an inlay (turned out to be John Pasches original, where I thought at the time it was Andy Warhol's) and the other, very small, was on the backside of the sleeve and looked quite different. Many decades later I learned that it came from the USA (where the sleeves had been produced. But that's another story, right Irix?).

I did see other acts though in Liverpool in 1971. How about LED Zeppelin and The Who? Real hot shots that year. If you have any questions, just let me know.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: April 27, 2022 16:00

georgie48

Back in Liverpool I heard that there had been some problems, because the Stones arrived (about an hour or so) late.

As described in the article by [www.RollingStone.com] , April 15, 1971.

Date: April 27, 2022 16:24

georgie48
1971 ..... Liverpool.

Some useful information there that I’ll look into, thanks for that! Unfortunately the piece I’m writing is just about the Stones and their return to Liverpool so the other bands won’t be too useful, I appreciate the offer though!

Date: April 27, 2022 20:09

Jaymitchell2001
georgie48
1971 ..... Liverpool.

Some useful information there that I’ll look into, thanks for that! Unfortunately the piece I’m writing is just about the Stones and their return to Liverpool so the other bands won’t be too useful, I appreciate the offer though!

Are you going to see them on June 9?

Date: April 27, 2022 21:11

georgie48

Are you going to see them on June 9?

Yeah I saw them back on their last European tour in 2018 for the first time, and as a Liverpool fan I couldn’t miss the chance to see them at Anfield.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 27, 2022 22:52

Irix
georgie48

Back in Liverpool I heard that there had been some problems, because the Stones arrived (about an hour or so) late.

They won't let your read the article without subscribing.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: April 27, 2022 23:04

There’s a nice book telling much about the tour and Liverpool as well.
Robert Greenfield’s if I remember well.
Bye,

Date: April 27, 2022 23:25

24FPS

They won't let your read the article without subscribing.

No problem here to read the article for free (without subscribing). Try to empty your Browser-Cache (probably too many RS-articles were read for free).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-27 23:35 by Irix.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 27, 2022 23:40

No problem here either, though I do have the book as well

Date: April 28, 2022 00:40

Thank you all, for the information!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 28, 2022 00:41

An insider told me some things I can't tell here. It had to do with Bill Wyman laughing on stage when "somebody" suddenly appeared from behind an ran across the stage, disappearing as quickly as he came.

oh come on give us a little more

short of murder it's been 50 years think the statute of limitations is up by nowgrinning smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 28, 2022 04:36

georgie48
I did see other acts though in Liverpool in 1971. How about LED Zeppelin and The Who? Real hot shots that year. If you have any questions, just let me know.

I’m interested in your firsthand account of Led Zeppelin in Liverpool 1971. Can you please share your story with us IORRians?

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: April 28, 2022 17:43

Yeah, and The 'Oo as well!

Date: April 28, 2022 18:51

RisingStone
georgie48

I’m interested in your firsthand account of Led Zeppelin in Liverpool 1971. Can you please share your story with us IORRians?

Not very shocking, but here I go.
In 1971 I off course already was a solid Rolling Stones fan for well over 7 years. The Beatles had already disappeared from the surface of the earth (not teasing you, Hairball winking smiley) and as a token of appreciation I had bought the Abbey Road album while in Liverpool (or was it a "weapon against possible danger, being a Stones fan"? grinning smiley). In the meantime Led Zeppelin had surfaced as a highly talented band and had scored big time with Whole Lotta Love. So yes, I also bought their first album. To me they sounded like a very interesting R'n B / R'n R band, so I got myself a concert ticket with high expectations.
The hall was packed at some point and I was somewhere in the middle, a bit on the right. Being tall (for those days) I could easily overlook the place. And then they started to play. Robert did a brief introduction and than ... bang. My goodness, that was a lot of power. They played very well (!), but two things gradually started to annoy me. Both Jimmy and Robert were far more interested in the ceiling than in the audience in front of them. No interaction whatsoever! And secondly the power of the sound was becoming a real burden. It was like the bass and drums were pushing my stomac to the inside. It was like I was hit continuously by heavy blows. I noticed that the fast majority of the audience was also sort of paralyzed by the sheer power of the sound. So in the end (possibly somewhat after half the concert) I decided to leave ... disappointed. Historically a bad decision maybe, but that's how it was.
(I bought several of their later albums because they really make great music, but for live concerts they should have studied ... The Rolling Stones on stage winking smiley)

cool smiley

Date: April 28, 2022 21:44

georgie48

Thank you for your recollection of the show.

And, no, your post is quite shocking, really — leaving a Led Zeppelin concert halfway through the show in 1971! In the times they were at the hight of their power! Unbelievable!

You are entitled to proudly call yourself “the man who walked away from a Led Zeppelin gig”.eye popping smiley

FYR their Liverpool show 1971 was postponed from March 16 due to Robert Plant’s laryngitis and rescheduled on May 10. The venue was Liverpool University’s Mountford Hall. I saw David Gray there in year 2000.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 28, 2022 23:53

RisingStone
georgie48

And, no, your post is quite shocking, really — leaving a Led Zeppelin concert halfway through the show in 1971! In the times they were at the hight of their power! Unbelievable!

You are entitled to proudly call yourself “the man who walked away from a Led Zeppelin gig”.eye popping smiley

FYR their Liverpool show 1971 was postponed from March 16 due to Robert Plant’s laryngitis and rescheduled on May 10. The venue was Liverpool University’s Mountford Hall. I saw David Gray there in year 2000.

well hey

my mom and dad (before they met) walked out of the zeppelin show at the kingdome in seattle in 1977 because of the terrible acoustics

they were not alone in the decision to leave

Date: April 29, 2022 00:17

Did anybody walk out of the Stones gig?eye rolling smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 29, 2022 00:18

I'm looking forward to Liverpool, 2022.Hope there's a cool poster

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: April 29, 2022 00:23

RisingStone
georgie48

I agree. From a hystoric point of view ... unbelievable. But so was my last minute decision not to go to Hyde Park on July 5th 1969. I already organized my trip to London, but Brian's sudden death (only weeks after he had left (or was kicked out, or whatever)) was so emotional for me that I couldn't think of an excuse to still go.

I didn't know about Plant's laryngitis, but for sure it didn't have an impact on his (powerful) singing that day. Ah well, I DID go and see Led Zeppelin and that should mean something to you grinning smiley
The Who was a different thing altogether. Keith Moon was very impressive! They gave a really great concert. What was funny there, was that English (British?) were always waiting in line anywhere (bus stops, shop doors (before a shop opened its doors), but ... also concert hall doors. How surprised I was when the doors opened for The Who concert. The lineup of the people was gone the very minute (second) the doors opened. I never forget grinning smiley

Date: April 29, 2022 01:20

georgie48,

Now you have gained another proud title, “the man who turned down the Stones@Hyde Park 69”. Say, “Mick who? They are finished!”

Plant had fully recovered from illness by the time of the postponed Liverpool Uni gig — in fact, LZ did play a handful of other shows between the original Liverpool date and the rescheduled one.

And I know, the British (not only English) like standing in a queue.winking smiley

Date: April 29, 2022 07:48

Irix
georgie48

Thanks Irix!

Amazing to read that story. At the time one had no idea what happened “behind the scene”. Despite all those traveling and other problems they managed to complete that historic tour and happily moved to France.
So Keith had missed a train on his way to Liverpool. Nice to know 51 years later cool smiley.
And dancing in Bristol … well that’s what the fans also did on the street after the concert! One big, happy family. Great memories!

smileys with beer

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 10, 2022 19:05

1963luca0
There’s a nice book telling much about the tour and Liverpool as well.
Robert Greenfield’s if I remember well.
Bye,

Greenfield's book is "Ain't It Time We Said Goodbye." Covers the '71 Goodbye Great Britian tour and maybe a little bit of the move to France (it's been a while since I've read it.)

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:51

Quote from the Rolling Stone article:

"“They pour through a narrow door and file back on stage into a cosmos of light and noise for their first encore in three years (not a single one on the European tour): “Sympathy For The Devil,” followed by Chuck Berry’s “Let It Rock.”"

They played "Sympathy for the Devil" on that date?!?
Along with "Wild Horses" and "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'!?!

[iorr.org]

Let us have the tape, PLEASE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 20:52 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: May 26, 2022 12:05

Hi Jay,
I'm a (Stones fan) journalist at ITV in Manchester. I'm looking for anyone who was at the Empire gig in 1971. Did you find anyone?

Liverpool Empire 1971 - looking for people who were there!
Posted by: phelge ()
Date: May 26, 2022 11:51

Hi everyone, I'm putting together a news report on the upcoming Stones gig at Anfield for ITV. I'm trying to track down anyone who was at their 1971 show at the Liverpool Empire. Anyone out there? Ta!

Re: Liverpool Empire 1971 - looking for people who were there!
Date: May 26, 2022 11:55

Same question again - [iorr.org] ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home