Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Critically Acclaimed Albums You Don't Like, At All
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 25, 2022 12:29

RisingStone
RaiseTheKnife
slewan
'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out' – I just don't get what people see in it! That record just sounds bad, muffled sound etc.

True, it sounds dated and lacks punch. I think it's often praised because of sentimental value. "Stripped" and "No Security" features tighter playing in perfect sound quality but are overlooked by fans.

Generally I tend to concur. As of now, it feels more like a period piece. I once posted here, great live album but tad overrated presumably because of the mythical status of the 1969 US tour, Altamont, the Stones’ answer to Live’r Than You’ll Ever Be etc. Overall, I’d rate the 1972 tour higher. Whether Stripped or No Security is “better” than GYYYO is debatable, though.
The guitar playing on Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out blows away those albums in my opinion.But it’s mostly subjective

Re: OT: Critically Acclaimed Albums You Don’t Understand
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 25, 2022 13:08

GasLightStreet
PET SOUNDS.

One of the absolute worst albums I've ever listened to.

The opinion of a few here, I think. I tried again recently, and still I was stumped. I like Wouldn't It Be Nice, though think God Only Knows is a little overrated. The rest is a snooze-fest. Oh, Sloop John B is OK, I suppose. As I've said in the past, I enjoy their hits and well-known numbers throughout their career, but album-wise, Pet Sounds just isn't 'me'

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 25, 2022 14:27

Nebraska is such a highly praised album but I simply can't connect to it. It doesn't speak to me. Always liked The Ghost Of Tom Joad; other Springsteen albums: some more, some less, some I don’t know well enough or don’t know at all.

Most/all of Radiohead except OK Computer, which touched me immediately and I still like.

Astral Week - I tried hard, I really did but that’s a taste I can’t acquire. What I know of the rest of Van Morrison isn’t really my cup of tea either (exception: there is a live EP that I found pretty OK, can’t recall its title).

Brothers In Arms and Making Movies - I really love the first two Dire Straits albums, so when Making Movies came out I bought it without checking it out before. Big mistake. Brothers In Arms may be a perfect album, but only for the rest of the world.

Frampton Comes Alive! - Super-hype album in my youth but I just didn’t get the hype (still don’t).

And a few more.

I'll say nothing about The Wall. First, it's not that I don't understand it, and then whatever I said, Hairball would outargue me ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Re: OT: Critically Acclaimed Albums You Don't Like, At All
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: April 25, 2022 15:30

bakersfield
I don't understand the Red Hot Chilli Peppers appeal. It might be the way that they record - I can hear the instruments but i can't hear the room. Consequently it sounds lifeless to me....I don't hear songs, just jams with words on top... and the guy doesn't have a very strong singing voice. Sorry don't get it.
No offense but that's a weird thing to say. The Chili Peppers obviously have many songs that are structured like songs with a verse, chorus, bridge etc...
But I do agree that Anthony's singing can be a little suspect at times.

Date: April 25, 2022 16:29

METAL MACHINE MUSIC - LOU REED

Date: April 25, 2022 16:32

HopeYouGuessMyName

When was that critically acclaimed?? grinning smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 25, 2022 18:56

FYR another bunch of musicians who were enamored with Pet Sounds back in the day is Eric Clapton and Cream:

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 25, 2022 18:56

DandelionPowderman
HopeYouGuessMyName

When was that critically acclaimed?? grinning smiley

exactly my initial thought!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 18:19

Dark Side of the Moon
Joni Mitchell's Blue

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: May 10, 2022 18:43

Polka party 5 - James Last. Don’t understand the hype.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 10, 2022 19:55

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Desert or Destruction or whatever its called.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home