Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Critically Acclaimed Albums You Don’t Understand
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 22, 2022 22:53

Another thread made me think about this. A few stick out in my mind:

Anything by The Eagles (Never resonated for some reason. Seems like soul-less white boy fluff. No heart. Great musicians though. I kind of like Joe Walsh)

Stone Roses- Stone Roses (Doesn’t offer anything interesting or exciting to my ears. I like their attitude, though)

Funeral- Arcade Fire (Too busy and theatrical. Combine that with lo-fi, and it is an audible mess)

Forever Changes- Love (Boring, pretentious, the lyrics make me queasy. Easily one of the worst albums I have ever heard)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-24 23:12 by NashvilleBlues.

Re: OT: Critically Acclaimed Albums You Don't Like, At All
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 23, 2022 00:13

Nirvana and R.E.M. for starters

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 23, 2022 00:26

James Brown LIVE AT THE APOLLO (1963).
Aretha Franklin AMAZING GRACE.
Marvin Gaye WHAT'S GOING ON.
Pink Floyd THE WALL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-23 00:26 by Witness.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 23, 2022 01:15

OK Computer by Radiohead. Mostly anything by Mr. Jack Johnson, while I have no intention to insult any of those artists.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 23, 2022 02:59

I think there was a similar thread on here some years ago. Anyway. ..

Another vote for Love's "Forever Changes." I listened to it three times, and just didn't get the appeal.

Pretty much anything by Radiohead. I bought five cd's from a friend and couldn't find much to like. I liked Creep and one instrumental song.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 23, 2022 03:00

JMARKO
Nirvana and R.E.M. for starters

Love Nirvana!

But agree w/ REM, pretty much anything by them. RHCP too, not sure how anyone can like them.

I could also never get into anything by the Boss or Billy Joel, maybe about 3 songs from each that I can tolerate.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 23, 2022 03:09

Rolling Stone magazine gave Goddess in the Doorway a 5 star review back when it was first released!!??!!
What were they thinking?!!!!

I'll stick with Keith's simple review - "Dogshit in the Doorway".

I think they might have given ABB 5 stars as well (or maybe 4?), but at least there's a bit of Stonesiness on that album - I give it 2 of 5 stars.

Outside of Stonesland, never liked much of anything from Radiohead ...same with Green Day...Dave Matthews Band... Kings of Leon...and on and on...but critics seemed to fawn over them at one point or another.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 23, 2022 07:24

I don't understand the Red Hot Chilli Peppers appeal. It might be the way that they record - I can hear the instruments but i can't hear the room. Consequently it sounds lifeless to me....I don't hear songs, just jams with words on top... and the guy doesn't have a very strong singing voice. Sorry don't get it.

Another classic I can't listen to all the way through is Astral Weeks. There are GREAT tracks on it like 'Madame George' but whenever I put the album on, I think it's the second track, 'Beside You', I find it unlistenable caterwauling and i dash for the off switch. I much prefer 'No Guru No Method No teacher'.

Also, anything by Rush. Obviously skilled players of their instruments but the music sounds turgid to me. I can't detect passion, joy, swing or any of the things I go to music for. But then some people don't get Bruce.... taste is a weird thing...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 23, 2022 07:55

This is difficult, as there are countless acclaimed releases that I wouldn’t check-out, simply because I don’t like the act, or, perhaps, the genre, itself. I think what’s best is if I give examples of some disappointments. Well, despite liking them at the time, I was often disappointed with the White Stripes’ albums: White Blood Cells and Elephant, in particular. They’re both perfectly okay, but the adulation and fawning by the likes of the NME was quite over the top. Also, Queens of the Stone Age. I really liked No One Knows, so bought the album that features it. Again, the British music press were overhyping the group. It simply didn’t resonate with me. Any other examples? Well, I suppose I was disappointed with Coldplay’s Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head. Both highly acclaimed, but both were rather boring to me.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 23, 2022 08:08

I completely understand the following are massive and couldn’t care less about my taste grinning smiley But

Anything by The Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2022 12:32

Pet Sounds. I can't get through more than 2 minutes.

Mathijs

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 23, 2022 12:35

'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out' – I just don't get what people see in it! That record just sounds bad, muffled sound etc.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 23, 2022 12:38

ALL Radiohead. Self absorbed crap

ALL Pink Floyd. Pretentious crap

Rod

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 23, 2022 12:52

Springsteen albums, Plastic Ono Band, Purple Rain, ,rap music

Date: April 23, 2022 13:00

Paddy
I completely understand the following are massive and couldn’t care less about my taste grinning smiley But

Anything by The Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles.

I'm a little sympathetic towards your view on Springsteen. Whilst I do, genuinely, enjoy some of his individual recordings, I seem to have a mental block when it comes to exploring his work further. I wonder if it's because he's so American? I don't mind Americana, and yet, as an Englishman, I find the deep substance of his material to be a little unrelatable. There's so much emphasis placed on the lyrical themes, but it isn't my life. They're the experiences of the blue-collar 'joe' from New Jersey. I'm from Kent, England. Worlds apart.

As for the Beach Boys: I like their surf-era recordings, though don't 'get' Pet Sounds.

The Eagles? Well, that's just a big, fat, NAH!

Date: April 23, 2022 13:06

bitusa2012

Well, they're both self-absorbed and pretentious, truthfully. Whether they're 'crap' is debatable. I like some of the music released by both group's, though, again, like with Springsteen, there's a mental block at play.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 23, 2022 13:12

Plastic Ono Band, Purple Rain, Springsteen albums, rap music

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 23, 2022 14:35

Astral Weeks - although I love lots of Van's output
Nevermind - Grunge in general. Ditto rap. Ditto prog rock.
Clapton's album with J. J. Cale
Pink Floyd, although Dave is a great guitarist
Tommy
Rastaman Vibration - my least favorite by Bob

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 23, 2022 14:50

-Hmm, "Forever Changes" - Love. It`s still on my shelf, but don`t want to play it.

Closer - Joy Division.
Layla - Derek & The Dominoes.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 23, 2022 15:41

slewan
'Get Yer Ya-Yas Out' – I just don't get what people see in it! That record just sounds bad, muffled sound etc.
I can relate to that. I guess when it came out it was truly spectacular because it was one of the first times you could listen to a whole rock concert on record. And this was the best the Stones have been yet at the time. But I also feel like from todays point of view it's not like you would expect a live recording to sound like.
So while I like to listen to it now an then for me it's not the holy grail that people claim it to be.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 23, 2022 15:46

The Clash - London Calling. But I won´t answer.
The Strokes, their debut.
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger.
Red Hot Chilipeppers. Help.
Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver. But who does? cool smiley

Date: April 23, 2022 15:57

- Let's Dance by David Bowie

- Imagine by John Lennon (even though the Title track and some songs are great, there's also a lot of junk on it, with the last song "Oh Yoko" being the worst of all)

- Purple Rain by Prince is something I try to listen to now and then but I got the feeling I didn't get it yet

- A lot of Albums by ACDC - while I like a lot of the songs listening to a whole album where every songs sounds kinda similar is kinda dreary after some time. I also went to an ACDC concert once and while they performed amazing it was really lacking in variety. It was all one energy. But kinda guess that's what you want from an ACDC concert.

- Shine A Light the Movie. While it got a lot of positive critics I think it's one of the worst Stones concert films. Great setlist, Mick and Charlie also great, but the guitar work is really week. And the mix where what's in the image jumps out also sonically points all the weaknesses in their playing out.

- White Album by The Beatles (or The Beatles by The Beatles). A lot of great songs on it but also a lot of so-so songs on it. It really sounds like they just threw everything they recorded over a year on that record. Doesn't have a flow really. I mean it's okay and I don't really dislike it but sometimes I wish they listened to George Martin and made it a single album only with the best songs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-23 16:09 by StonedRambler.

Date: April 23, 2022 16:04

Mathijs
Pet Sounds. I can't get through more than 2 minutes.

Mathijs
Yeah now and then I try to hear it because I always think it's supposed to be a good album and I want to be open minded but I just don't get through it

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 23, 2022 16:08

Bjorn

So, no chance I run into you at the RHCP/Strokes show this August? Haha!

Date: April 23, 2022 16:18

Bjorn

INSTANITY! That album influenced me like no other. Is This It is, inarguably, the most important record of my life. Then again, it's all subjective!

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: April 23, 2022 16:31

Neutral Milk Hotel. Not for me.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 23, 2022 17:20

Big Al
bitusa2012

Well, they're both self-absorbed and pretentious, truthfully. Whether they're 'crap' is debatable. I like some of the music released by both group's, though, again, like with Springsteen, there's a mental block at play.

You say Springsteen is “too” American. Yet his writing about unemployment issues, immigration, police brutality, welfare, love, dreams, violence, cars, veterans affairs, industrialisation, politics, gangs, sentimentalism .. to me, even as an Australian, they’re universal. I hear and feel everything he writes about. He’s from New Jersey. I’m from Perth. As far away as it’s possible to be geographically.

Rod

Date: April 23, 2022 17:52

Cool, haha! So happy for you NashvilleBlues and Big Al! Strokes! Keep the record close to your hearts! smiling smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 23, 2022 18:54

bitusa2012
Big Al
bitusa2012

You say Springsteen is “too” American. Yet his writing about unemployment issues, immigration, police brutality, welfare, love, dreams, violence, cars, veterans affairs, industrialisation, politics, gangs, sentimentalism .. to me, even as an Australian, they’re universal. I hear and feel everything he writes about. He’s from New Jersey. I’m from Perth. As far away as it’s possible to be geographically.

Bruce Springsteen - the most self absorbed and pretentious crap

Date: April 23, 2022 19:20

We all need to be self absorved and pretentious at times! Love all his albums - but not his first. All those words...cool smiley

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home