Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stufish stage design
Posted by: artedm ()
Date: April 21, 2022 19:42

Stufish Reflects On Rolling Stones Stage Designs Ahead Of ‘Sixty’ Tour
[news.pollstar.com]

Re: Stufish stage design
Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 21, 2022 19:45

I have really enjoyed the No Filter stage. So will be interesting to see what they bring up for the Sixty tour!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 21, 2022 20:04

This is sad…Charlie always had a lot to do with the stage design.

It will be interesting to see if the new stage is entirely new, or just has slight changes. Rumours are always flying - this is the last tour, they’ll be touring for another 5 years … If it’s a substantially new stage it might give hope for future tours. If they really are slowing down or thinking of packing it in, they likely won’t invest a lot of money now in a new stage.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 21, 2022 21:00

tiffanyblu
I have really enjoyed the No Filter stage. So will be interesting to see what they bring up for the Sixty tour!

I like the No Filter stage, too, because it was a no bullsh*it stage design. No gimmicks, just video screens (plus the usual plastic roof for the band, of course)

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 21, 2022 21:05

slewan
tiffanyblu

I like the No Filter stage, too, because it was a no bullsh*it stage design. No gimmicks, just video screens (plus the usual plastic roof for the band, of course)

Just like No security, Zip Code, Licks and just about everything else except A Bigger Bang or Steel wheels People find the littlest thing to bitch about

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2022 21:29

Exciting.
Always nice to have some change, though I did enjoy the sleekness of the No Filter stage design which was really No Bullshit - one of my favorites of all time from the Stones.
Loved all the other massive monstrosities built for stadiums throughout the years, and also like the 50 and Counting indoor tongue design.
Least favorite was 14 on Fire/Zip Code tour which seemed a but busy with no rhyme or reason...a bit gaudy looking...

Wild guess (though perhaps not too creative)- maybe there will be three giant towering screens - one on the left being six shaped, one in the middle tongue shaped, and one on the right zero shaped...
If they had a new album, they could have built the stage theme around that, but...at this point it's really all about 60, nostalgia, oldies but goodies, and living in the past....

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: April 21, 2022 21:52

Hairball
Exciting.
Always nice to have some change, though I did enjoy the sleekness of the No Filter stage design which was really No Bullshit - one of my favorites of all time from the Stones.
Loved all the other massive monstrosities built for stadiums throughout the years, and also like the 50 and Counting indoor tongue design.
Least favorite was 14 on Fire/Zip Code tour which seemed a but busy with no rhyme or reason...a bit gaudy looking...

Wild guess (though perhaps not too creative)- maybe there will be three giant towering screens - one on the left being six shaped, one in the middle tongue shaped, and one on the right zero shaped...
If they had a new album, they could have built the stage theme around that, but...at this point it's really all about 60, nostalgia, oldies but goodies, and living in the past....

14 on fire is my least favourite in the 89+ era as well. Seemed "cheap" and the design did not feel like Stones.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 21, 2022 22:03

I loved the No Filter Stage. My least favorite have been 14 on Fire and Licks Stadium tour.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 10:03

slewan
tiffanyblu

Except the little plastic canopy over the band hinders views from up in the side-on stands I reckon. Seen a lot of YouTube taken from those areas and that canopy is a bloody (viewing) nuisance. It should be higher

Rod

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2022 10:27

They've kind of slid downhill in stage design since No Security, which was really cool, though minimal. When I saw them in 2006 the stage itself was so loud and overwhelming that I could hardly hear if the band was any good. 2013 wasn't bad. The No Filter stages have been kind of blah.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 22, 2022 11:05

24FPS
They've kind of slid downhill in stage design since No Security, which was really cool, though minimal. When I saw them in 2006 the stage itself was so loud and overwhelming that I could hardly hear if the band was any good. 2013 wasn't bad. The No Filter stages have been kind of blah.
The stage was too loud?

Date: April 22, 2022 11:11

So a new stage. Nice!

Did not like the No Filter stage a lot. I prefer one or two big screens.

Date: April 22, 2022 12:05

24FPS

The No Filter stage was way better than 14 On Fire, don't you think?

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 12:10

Voodoo Lounge was my favourite. Possibly because it was my first gig. That fire-breathing cobra blew my 14 year old mind!

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: April 22, 2022 12:55

Yeah, same here. It was my first gig and it still is my favorite to date.

I like the big screens of the No Filter stage, but I kinda miss the gimmicks and I miss the pyro too.. The explosions when the Stones hit the stage on the SteelWheels/Urban Jungle and Bridges to Babylon tour really added something.

Date: April 22, 2022 13:03

Suprises everyone here dislikes 14 on Fire. I thought the frames were a piece of art. With those frames the stage looked already beautiful in the daylight, opposed to No Filter which looked great in action with the video content but looked a bit underwhelming in the day light.

Also while I loved the video filters of the No Filter tour during the first show in Hamburg (funny how the No Filter tour was the tour with the most filters video-wise) I got sick of them during the tour and wished they would just show the band performing on the screens.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2022 14:20

I also liked the 14 on Fire design, creative concept in terms of lighting possibilities and somehow just adequate in its oldschool almost steampunk appearance. The fact that it amounted to a standard festival stage setup actually just added to the feeling of it being something special. It was also nice how low and unobstructed the front line was, as if they had actually learned from Hyde Park

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2022 14:21

StonedRambler
24FPS
The stage was too loud?

It did kind of explode all the time

Date: April 22, 2022 14:48

Nikkei
I also liked the 14 on Fire design, creative concept in terms of lighting possibilities and somehow just adequate in its oldschool almost steampunk appearance. The fact that it amounted to a standard festival stage setup actually just added to the feeling of it being something special. It was also nice how low and unobstructed the front line was, as if they had actually learned from Hyde Park
At the coolest thing of the tour was that at some concerts you could get to the front with a normal GA ticket. At others you had the golden circle but compared to the prices now even that was quite affordable. Miss those days.

Date: April 22, 2022 15:32

Nikkei
StonedRambler
24FPS
The stage was too loud?

It did kind of explode all the time
Lol.
By the way, I never liked the 50s and Counting arena stage. It looked cool how the catwalk complimented the tongue but it always seemed to me they felt a bit lost on that half-circle catwalk. They didn't really know how to integrate it naturally into their performances. Also it felt like Mick was seperated from the band a lot of the times when he did another round on the half-circle. With the single mid-stage catwalk they had since Hyde Park it feels more cohesive. In integrates more into the natural flow of Mick's performances. I guess that's also the reason why the initial No Filter Pit (how it originally was intended - a square catwalk) was dropped.
And it makes a nice picture, Mick in the Middle and the guitarists left and right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 15:34 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 16:19

I think the 14 On Fire stage really wasn't a good choice by the band, and I think they realized it themselves later. Even if the initial design revealed in Olso looked very cool, in many concerts (For example Madrid) they couldn't even use the whole stage design, maybe because of logistics, and it looked very strange.

In 2015 and on the Australia leg of 2014 they couldn't use some of the inner frame parts due to the stage being too low to fit them, which also made the stage look incomplete if you knew the original design from the Europe tour. Just check out Hunter Valley. I think everyone would have preferred the No Filter stage at that point. The big weak point of the stage was just that it also worked with some of the parts missing, so some concerts had the Stones touring with an almost completely standart festival stage - which for me looked cheap and not suited for a concert like this.

Full stage in Paris

Arlington in 2015, on all 2015/2016 shows and some in 2014, the inner frame sides were missing

Madrid with a lot missing. Posters in the live thread were already commenting on it, some people saying this looks "low budget"

Hunter Valley, well, not much to say here...

So I really hope they will never use a standart festival stage as a backdrop again, because then something like on that tour can't happen at all. It never happened during previous tours with their own setup.

Maybe that's even why they went with the No Filter tour design being so simple, because it can't have any missing parts. I'm sure the Stones were not happy to see this happening during their tour with their own stage.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 16:21 by Stonesfan2146.

Date: April 22, 2022 17:46

Yeah, the incomplete stages looked weird but that was rather a problem of logistics than a problem with the stage. But the complete stage looked really good and interesting in my opinion. No Filter looked rather boring in comparison to that, although the stage came alive with the video content during the show.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 23, 2022 18:29

I suspect the "tongue" will be back along the lines of the Superbowl one or the first 50th shows...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2022 07:04

SomeTorontoGirl
This is sad…Charlie always had a lot to do with the stage design.

It will be interesting to see if the new stage is entirely new, or just has slight changes. Rumours are always flying - this is the last tour, they’ll be touring for another 5 years … If it’s a substantially new stage it might give hope for future tours. If they really are slowing down or thinking of packing it in, they likely won’t invest a lot of money now in a new stage.

They won't skimp. Even if they call it quits after this tour. They slowed down back in 2012. It's been figured out how many shows to do a year to make it pay.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 24, 2022 07:08

NO FILTER was brilliant.

U2's 2017 stage was probably the best ever.

[stufish.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home