Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Steve Marriott April 20 1991
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 20, 2022 19:13

Steve Marriott died 31 years ago today- one of the premiere frontmen of the 60's and 70's with the Small Faces and Humble Pie until the lifestyle got the better of him...the man knew how to rock!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Steve Marriott April 20 1991
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 20, 2022 19:52

roryfaninva
Steve Marriott died 31 years ago today- one of the premiere frontmen of the 60's and 70's with the Small Faces and Humble Pie until the lifestyle got the better of him...the man knew how to rock!

video: [www.youtube.com]

1 of my favorite lead singers. RIP

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: April 20, 2022 20:01

Incredible guitar player too.

This cd box set "Watch Your Step: Final Performances Live 91" is very recomendable.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 20, 2022 22:05

I've always thought I'd go deeper on him as an artist. I really liked his work with the Small Faces, and 'Black Coffee' on his own. I've got to made the effort to dive into Humble Pie.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 20, 2022 22:58

What a loss. A really great singer, lots of soul, great songwriter and a great guitar player. RIP Steve.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 21, 2022 08:46

Of all of those (non-Stones) who left us too early, I miss him most and wonder how much more he could have achieved. Paul Kossoff close second.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 21, 2022 08:59

One of Britain’s premier rock ‘n roll and soul vocalists. Along with Steve Winwood, he was, in my opinion, the finest British vocalist in the 60’s.

I’ve always really enjoyed the Small Faces’ music. Their singles and handful of albums are equally terrific: Watcha Gonna Do About It, Hey Girl, Tim Soldier, Lazy Sunday... even b-sides, like What’s A Matter Baby. I don’t particular care for the Humble Pie or The Faces, though.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 21, 2022 11:49

The Small Faces was another favorite band of mine: Steve Marriot vocals and guitar, Humble Pie at the Fillmore live is a killer album and Steve playing in the smaller clubs I really enjoyed.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: April 21, 2022 12:50

I agree. Steve Marriott and Steve Winwood were the two most soulful vocalists of the 60s. Perhaps Terry Reid is up there too.

Check out the Lane-Marriott song You Spent it from the Legendary Majic Mijits album. It has the drive and feel of Start Me Up.

Date: April 21, 2022 13:28

Let's not forget that Marriot's vocals on You Need Loving inspired a young Robert Plant's later approach on Zep's recording of Whole Lotta Love. The vocal-style is, in fact, arguably, a direct lift, even. I was quite taken aback when hearing The Small Faces' recording, actually. Where have I heard this before, exactly?? grinning smiley. Oh yeah, Led Zeppelin II!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 21, 2022 13:31

GHS and Rockin' the Fillmore were my first 2 LPs - bought on the same day in 1973. I still play both a lot......

Ian Dury is another who died too soon..........sad smiley

Date: April 21, 2022 13:33

His vocals aside, Steve Marriott is quite the underappreciated guitarist, too. With The Small Faces being so keyboard-driven, I think it understandable that his guitar-playing during this period is not focused upon so much, but later on, he displayed his guitar-chops more frequently. He was quite the competent blues guitarist.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 21, 2022 13:49

Steve Marriot's Packet of Three + interview. I love this:

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 22, 2022 02:12

What a voice. What a character.

His career kept going in circles.

From a couple of solo singles to Small Faces...then to Humble Pie (initially with Peter Frampton), then a solo album...

Then a full Small Faces reunion on TOTP, followed by two Small Faces albums (minus Ronnie Lane)...

Then another stab at Humble Pie (with Jerry Shirley and two new guys), followed by some solo gigs...

And then a reunion album with Ronnie Lane (that was unreleased for years)

And then right before he died, a reunion with Peter Frampton!

Had he lived, maybe he would have ended up doing musicals in the West End, like he did as a kid playing the Artful Dodger in Oliver!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 02:16 by loog droog.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 22, 2022 02:23

I liked Small Faces

Date: April 22, 2022 08:41

Big Al
Let's not forget that Marriot's vocals on You Need Loving inspired a young Robert Plant's later approach on Zep's recording of Whole Lotta Love. The vocal-style is, in fact, arguably, a direct lift, even. I was quite taken aback when hearing The Small Faces' recording, actually. Where have I heard this before, exactly?? grinning smiley. Oh yeah, Led Zeppelin II!

The lyrics are more or less the same, too smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home