Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Under My Thumb live versions
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 21, 2022 18:06

Austin 2006

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 21, 2022 23:28

From Leeds in 1982, with all six members on stage:

UMT, Leeds 1982

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: April 21, 2022 23:39

Love the '81/'82 versions.

Date: April 22, 2022 05:08

After 82 it was never the same.

They did play it in St. Louis I believe just recently.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2022 10:30

AntoineParis
1969 the best
What a groove! Stax without horns

I like also this one from the 1967 european tour
[www.youtube.com]

Yep, that's a keeper. I hope ABKCO gets it together and releases the '67 concerts. I'm sure new technology could give them some punch if they're all recorded in mono.

Re: Most people don’t dig 1969’ Under My Thumb version, but it’s my favorite
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: April 22, 2022 10:41

Doxa
Don't worry about the 'most people'. Little they know. Just enjoy a great version of a great tune.

- Doxa

Word!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 22, 2022 10:44

Nothing beats the 1981/82 version.
The fanfare of my life.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 12:24

1981 version is the best imho.

Under My Thumb, Still Life, first few chords....it's what turned me onto the Stones many decades ago

Hampton Roads version is also amazing. In fact most '81 versions i have heard are all great !!!

I thought in '82 it wasn't quite as good. Possibly too fast and a bit clunky in places.

1969 version is super cool n groovy. Very of it's time as well.

Recent versions are good, but not quite as meaty and guitary as i would like

Date: April 22, 2022 13:09

exilestones

Austin 2006

"Additional guitars by Pierre de Beauport and Dave Rouze" sad smiley

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 22, 2022 14:00

My YouTube from Edinburg 2018

[youtu.be]

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 22, 2022 15:02

DandelionPowderman
exilestones

Austin 2006

It's so weird watching this video when you hear a guitar playing a bunch of licks in the right channel but Keith is barely playing at all when you look at his hands haha.

Would be interesting if they re-released the full Austin 2006 without any overdubs.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: April 22, 2022 15:38

Under My Thumb was a fantastic opener in the 1981/1982 tours! Film-wise nothing beats the breath-taking beginning of Hal Ashby's concert movie:

Arizona 1981

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 22, 2022 17:54

I like this 1997 version, Mick's vocals are really strong, Charlie builds a nice laid back groove, Keith plays some reggae style licks.
Overall a more mature sound than the somewhat hysteric 1981/82 versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 17:54 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 22, 2022 18:24

The definite best Under My Thumb, IMO, is Altamont 1969. Even the November 1969 versions comes to short compared to Altamont. But it was a great choice for opening the 1981/1982 concerts - unexpected and great.
Meanwhile I'm not comparing with the 1966-1982 "Under My Thumbs" - it was surprisingly good in the early stages of the Bridges To Babylon tour.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 21:06

yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman
exilestones

Austin 2006

It's so weird watching this video when you hear a guitar playing a bunch of licks in the right channel but Keith is barely playing at all when you look at his hands haha.

Would be interesting if they re-released the full Austin 2006 without any overdubs.

I remember there was discussions about this here when the dvd was released. I assumed it was Blondie playing the other guitar lick on the main stage. I remember being surprised at how much guitar he played when I saw them in 06 in Vancouver.

Date: April 22, 2022 22:25

DGA35
yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman
exilestones

Austin 2006

I remember there was discussions about this here when the dvd was released. I assumed it was Blondie playing the other guitar lick on the main stage. I remember being surprised at how much guitar he played when I saw them in 06 in Vancouver.

The guitar techs were credited on the dvd...

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 23, 2022 00:01

DGA35
yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman
exilestones

Austin 2006

Blonde never played any licks he just strummed an acoustic and electric guitar. Nothing more

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2022 00:29

I read somewhere that when they were rehearsing for Knebworth, they played a really long version of this song. I would love to hear what that sounded like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-23 00:36 by ryanpow.

Date: April 23, 2022 02:04

Cooltoplady
DGA35
yeababyyea
DandelionPowderman
exilestones

Austin 2006

Blonde never played any licks he just strummed an acoustic and electric guitar. Nothing more

True. The only time I heard more was on The Nearness Of You (acoustic).

Posted by: erad ()
Date: April 23, 2022 08:02

Blondie is a seriously talented musician, and his talents were kinda wasted just strumming and singing backup. He really could have filled out the sound if he was allowed to. A shame, and a missed opportunity.

Anyways, as to the topic. The best for me are the 1981 versions, what an absolute great opener - great energy right out of the gate coupled with the announcement of 'Ladies and Gentlemen would you welcome please...'. Great! I always used to play a 1981 concert at parties, the setlist was just perfect imo.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home