Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Blackberry Smoke - "Stoned"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 15, 2022 22:52

November 2021 Record Store Day release now streaming:

[twitter.com]

--

Tracklisting:

- All Down The Line

- Sway

- Can't You Hear Me Knocking

- Tumbling Dice

- Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)

- I Got The Blues

- Street Fighting Man

--

Links to a couple of services:

[open.spotify.com]

[music.apple.com]

Re: Blackberry Smoke - "Stoned"
Date: April 15, 2022 23:13

One of the most faithfull stones covers Ive ever heard. Good work, pleasant listening!

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 15, 2022 23:35

I got the vinyl, great covers.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2022 00:50

I saw them open for ZZ Top back in 2015 at the L.A. County Fair, and they were just ok...a bit average really...nothing more, nothing less, though they dressed the retro '70's look quite well.
Their cover tunes of other bands in the past are generally better than their originals, but not so sure about these Stones covers...sort of mediocre...similar to the Black Crowes covering Stones tunes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-16 00:51 by Hairball.

Date: April 16, 2022 02:01

there covers are really good, but check out the live ones on youtube. even better live, TD, SFTD, CYHMK

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: April 16, 2022 05:45

I bought it but it was scraped. Enjoyed it

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 16, 2022 17:49

Luv these guys!
Charlie Starr is the real deal.

Just My Imagination

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-16 17:53 by spikenyc.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: April 17, 2022 00:33

spunky
...so side A of your copy is in good shape? never heard of anyone having it in good condition so far.... all scraped

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 01:22

Yes, that RSD release was a disaster. But a great great band and they obviously love The Stones.

Date: April 17, 2022 01:48

padre69
Yes, that RSD release was a disaster. But a great great band and they obviously love The Stones.
I have no doubt about both questions:
- the vinyl release was a disaster
- a great great band

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-17 01:49 by Ricky.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 14:24

Too rote to my ears. Almost note perfect. Just interchanged the singers. They haven’t put their own spin on these tracks. Just played them AS The Stones as best they could. Just my Imagination. A cover of a cover.

Rod

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 17, 2022 14:45

Very cool! Their album the whippoorwill is one of the best albums ever recorded in the genre.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 16:00

“This album was recorded, mixed and mastered live to a vinyl master, in one take, on the evening of November 6th 2020 at Welcome To 1979 studio in Nashville. There were no overdubs, edits, punch-ins, remixes or remastering. This type of recording is very rare due to the technical and creative difficulty associated with it. Once the recording has started it cannot stop until the end of the side. You are hearing one complete take per side of the record, which is no easy feat for all involved!”

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 16:06

I’ve seen them twice, on the recommendation of a friend of mine. They are a very good live band. Each time they’ve walked on the stage to the riff of The Rolling Stones ‘Slave,’ which made me instantly like them. The singer, Charlie Star, also takes most of the lead guitar work and their keyboard player is their secret weapon. The other two guitarists, Paul and Benno both consistently have some of the best gritty tones on stage.

They are a fun concert, they enjoy playing together and being in front of an audience.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: April 17, 2022 23:05

It’s a great effort I feel. It would be technically really tough to perform under that pressure
They do a better job today than the current guitars (oops) to recreate the sounds

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: April 18, 2022 18:38

I saw them this past Thursday in Louisville, KY (The Palace).
Definitely a tight band, Charlie Starr is really impressive all the way around IMO.They played about two hours & twenty. My only knock is that their setlist could've rocked out a bit more - they really have a nice r'n'r sound/feel. I hope to see them again in the near future.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2022 20:57

They seem to be more of a modern country rock band ala Zak Browne Band than a southern rock band ala Allman Brothers and the like.
That said, they dress more like southern hippie/hillbillys vs. urban cowboy/country stars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-18 20:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 18, 2022 22:22

I have seen Blackberry Smoke several times most recently opening for Gov't Mule before Covid and they rock more live than they do on their studio albums.

A fair amount of their music crosses over into modern country but with more of and edge I think.

Very talented band and Charlie Star is an underrated vocalist and guitar player.

He was a guest vocalist at the recent Allman Family Revival tour hosted by the Allman Betts Band. This photo is from the Boston Orpheum Theater

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: April 19, 2022 12:51

midimannz
It’s a great effort I feel. It would be technically really tough to perform under that pressure
They do a better job today than the current guitars (oops) to recreate the sounds

I fully agree. Great sound, very well done.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 19, 2022 15:17

This is an interesting release. The songs are almost like for like covers with very little alteration to the arrangements. Very well played indeed and you can tell their love of the Stones by how well they know and play these songs.

I love Blackberry Smoke and have seen them live a couple of times. The Whippoorwill is one of my favorite albums of all time.

But I have to question the point of this release. Why not come up with your own arrangements? It seems very odd, but perhaps it was just a bit of fun in which case fair enough.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 19, 2022 15:23

sjs12
This is an interesting release. The songs are almost like for like covers with very little alteration to the arrangements. Very well played indeed and you can tell their love of the Stones by how well they know and play these songs.

I love Blackberry Smoke and have seen them live a couple of times. The Whippoorwill is one of my favorite albums of all time.

But I have to question the point of this release. Why not come up with your own arrangements? It seems very odd, but perhaps it was just a bit of fun in which case fair enough.

Yes. I'm a huge Blackberry Smoke fan, but this release is a bit by numbers. They probably enjoy playing these songs and why not release them for record store day. They add nothing, but ok.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 19, 2022 17:55

Ricky
spunky
...so side A of your copy is in good shape? never heard of anyone having it in good condition so far.... all scraped

Mine skipped, waiting on a new copy which are apparently coming?

Date: April 21, 2022 21:13

TravelinMan
Ricky
spunky

Mine skipped, waiting on a new copy which are apparently coming?

I never heard of a copy in good condition, except for spunky (see the 3rd commentary above).
...only 2,500 copies.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: April 21, 2022 22:18

sjs12

Even The Rolling Stones can’t play these live like this

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home