Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Superbowl
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 16, 2022 21:20

Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa
Taylor1
Musically, they sounded flat. Plus Rough Justice is a snoozer, the best song from their worst album.Tumbling Dice, Let's Spend the Night Together, She Was Hot would have been better choices. If they played Street Fighting Man like they did in 1973 or Jumping Jack Flash like they did in 1989, that would have been awesome.

I was really disappointed that they were not 40 years younger and Brian Jones was not with them. I want my money back.

- Doxa

Brian quit?! When was this??

You know, I once went to see Bob Dylan. I was expecting this protest singer playing just by himself acoustic guitar and harmonica once in a while, but oh shit, there was this loud rock and roll band called Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers backing him up. And the dude even was singing like I couldn't recognize the bloody songs. They didn't even give my bloody money back.

- Doxa

I had exactly the same experience in Rotterdam. By themselves Tom Petty's band did fine and so was Roger McGuin, but Bob Dylan was a load of crap. 50 minutes of totally uninspired "singing", bored to death ... and I also didn't get my money back. Shame on you, Bob.

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 17, 2022 14:53

georgie48
Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa
Taylor1
Musically, they sounded flat. Plus Rough Justice is a snoozer, the best song from their worst album.Tumbling Dice, Let's Spend the Night Together, She Was Hot would have been better choices. If they played Street Fighting Man like they did in 1973 or Jumping Jack Flash like they did in 1989, that would have been awesome.

I was really disappointed that they were not 40 years younger and Brian Jones was not with them. I want my money back.

- Doxa

You know, I once went to see Bob Dylan. I was expecting this protest singer playing just by himself acoustic guitar and harmonica once in a while, but oh shit, there was this loud rock and roll band called Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers backing him up. And the dude even was singing like I couldn't recognize the bloody songs. They didn't even give my bloody money back.

- Doxa

I had exactly the same experience in Rotterdam. By themselves Tom Petty's band did fine and so was Roger McGuin, but Bob Dylan was a load of crap. 50 minutes of totally uninspired "singing", bored to death ... and I also didn't get my money back. Shame on you, Bob.

I may lack some reading ability. For I seemed to register some kind of irony in Doxa's post. He did not obtain what he expected, far from it. But I read you, Doxa, to have been very much pleased all the same. Both by what you gained, and by having the unexpected.

Added: Now don't tell me, georgie48, that you were ironic, too. The possibility suddenly struck me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-17 15:01 by Witness.

Re: The Rolling Stones Superbowl performance
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 17, 2022 15:32

Sorry Witness, I wasn’t. In fact I was very annoyed. I saw some mid 60s performances by Bob lately and they were really good. But the Rotterdam “performance” I mentioned was a total total rip off, to say the least.
Sh*t happens grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 21, 2022 17:47

Of course the Stones would play promote their new album with Rough Justice. Start Me Up and Satisfaction, big hits for the biggest audience.

It was a great performance but the horrible sound made it seem not so great.

I think it was the best versions of Satisfaction since....

I wish I had a perfect copy of the Super Bowl Satisfaction. There were many intricacies which really made that performance great!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 21, 2022 17:48

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 21, 2022 18:14

15 minutes are long enough for more than three songs! My Stars on 45 has 25 songs on it including stuff like Take It Or Leave It, Tell Me and Under the Boardwalk. And there'd be Star Star for the scandal necessary on American tv.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 21, 2022 19:59

I investigated being part of the on-field crowd for the Superbowl Stones performance. Basically you had to show up for multiple lengthy rehearsals and draft 6-8 friends to be with you, all of whom had to show up for rehearsals, too, in the weeks before the Superbowl. When it was done they loaded everybody onto busses, drove them up Woodward and essentially abandoned them in an unheated building at the Michigan State Fairgrounds. They all got t-shirts though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2022 21:43

I seem to recall Mick saying he was dissatisfied with the overall performance and vibe, but I could be mistaken...he could have been referring to the entire ABB tour itself.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 21, 2022 22:20

ha wherever could the stones' superbowl live set be ditched if not on iorr...

and they even played a new song back them, in a three songs setlist... 33%

one could think they'd get some credit for that, from some fans at least

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 22, 2022 00:10

Gave it their best shot ... did it LIVE ....
Not their fault for the shitty sound of Superbowel

Maybe they shoula dimmed the lights
and mimed like Dylan did with Shadow Kingdom .... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2022 01:37

Hairball
I seem to recall Mick saying he was dissatisfied with the overall performance and vibe, but I could be mistaken...he could have been referring to the entire ABB tour itself.

I don't see your point in saying something like that. Generally speaking and also because Mick was filmed right after doing it telling Keith he did a fantastic solo for some reason. Obviously it could be he just had to say that being aware of the camera and in reality thought that it sucked like they just hide how they suck all the time

Date: April 22, 2022 01:51

Nikkei
Hairball

I don't see your point in saying something like that. Generally speaking and also because Mick was filmed right after doing it telling Keith he did a fantastic solo for some reason. Obviously it could be he just had to say that being aware of the camera and in reality thought that it sucked like they just hide how they suck all the time

I said I seem to recall, meaning I can't be sure.

He might have said it after the fact vs. right after....maybe even a year or more later during an interview.
Long time ago, but there seemed to be some general dissatisfaction w/the overall vibe and performance that I seem to recall.

Date: April 22, 2022 03:51

I thought Prince's halftime show the following year in 2007 was maybe the best of all time:

>>>> Prince - Super Bowl Halftime Show 2007 FULL SHOW

Including the press conference in the days prior to the Super Bowl:

Read all about it. > Prince Superbowl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 03:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 22, 2022 05:33

i’m feeling loose and lusty.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 22, 2022 07:26

Hairball

Keith: Quite honestly, I don't like (football). I think it's a spectacle, not a sport. When you've got the team on the run, you don't give 'em timeout for a bloody ad. But the NFL is sort of that icon thing. It's fun. I don't consider it to be any sort of major highlight of my career.

Mick: It is hilarious to think about these very serious men sitting around and discussing whether the word cocks could be broadcast or not... It was fantastically mad. You had to be so on immediately. Then as soon as you're on, you're off.

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2022 07:37

JJHMick
15 minutes are long enough for more than three songs! My Stars on 45 has 25 songs on it including stuff like Take It Or Leave It, Tell Me and Under the Boardwalk. And there'd be Star Star for the scandal necessary on American tv.

HA! I own that too.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2022 08:54

treaclefingers
JJHMick

HA! I own that too.

Haha, me too. Actually that was my first introduction to some of their songs, such as "Sympathy For The Devil"... That was early 1982, and although I was busy purchasing their catalogue, I didn't have yet BEGGARS BANQUET (Nor EXILE, because I bought those two at the same token by mail. Now WHAT A POST PACKAGE THAT WAS!).

Well, to be honest, I bought the Stars on 45 record a year or two later (cost next to nothing by then), since I recorded the medlay initially from a radio to a cassette. But I listened that a lot!

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 09:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 22, 2022 11:09

Doxa
treaclefingers
JJHMick

HA! I own that too.

Haha, me too. Actually that was my first introduction to some of their songs, such as "Sympathy For The Devil"... That was early 1982, and although I was busy purchasing their catalogue, I didn't have yet BEGGARS BANQUET (Nor EXILE, because I bought those two at the same token by mail. Now WHAT A POST PACKAGE THAT WAS!).

Well, to be honest, I bought the Stars on 45 record a year or two later (cost next to nothing by then), since I recorded the medlay initially from a radio to a cassette. But I listened that a lot!

- Doxa

That Stars on 45 thing might be 'credited' too for something the Stones intended to do already in 1972: Side A of the long player are the Stones, side B is Stevie Wonder!

Date: April 22, 2022 12:22

"It sounded good to me - it sounded fantastic"...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 22, 2022 13:54

That game crushed my soul. I had just gotten out of the hospital from getting my hip replaced. My team (Seahawks) were playing in their first Super Bowl & the Stones were playing half time. What could possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2022 14:21

Witness
georgie48
Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa
Taylor1

- Doxa

- Doxa

I may lack some reading ability. For I seemed to register some kind of irony in Doxa's post. He did not obtain what he expected, far from it. But I read you, Doxa, to have been very much pleased all the same. Both by what you gained, and by having the unexpected.

Added: Now don't tell me, georgie48, that you were ironic, too. The possibility suddenly struck me.

Yeah, to make it clear, I was ironical. But the thing is that gig was Bob's first gig ever in Finland, so it was a kind of big cultural thing here. Lots of casual fans or tourists there to see the legend live. And many hadn't known anything about him since the legendary 60's folkie days when he made the biggest impact in popular music. So naturally there was a lot disappointment in the air. He was so different than many people expected (including those being familiar with his 70's masterpieces). This was before the Never Ending Tour, with which he has taught his fans to his routines and scared the tourists away (still some ignorant pop up occasionally). I think in CHRONICLES he summed up those times very well: 'My name can fill up a stadium, but I can't'.

Well, I was a fan already (although I didn't even own his whole catalogue yet), but I kinda knew what to expect. There were many songs that I didn't recognize, but that was not to due his singing or odd arrangements, but because I simply didn't know the songs. But about all of them sounded damn good. Now to think of it, I guess that gig sealed my fanhood, and very soon I completed my collection and started collecting bootlegs and all that crazy fan stuff. That Bob released about his two worst albums ever, KNOCKED OUT LOADED and DOWN IN THE GROOVE and was many ways like a has-been, didn't bother me one bit. He was - and still is - a number one to me (but thankfully he released soon a masterful OH MERCY).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-22 14:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 22, 2022 19:15

I've always wondered why this performance wasn't tacked on as a bonus on some video release. It should be somewhere.

Also, I saw Dylan on tour with Paul Simon ages ago, and he was just horrible. Couldn't understand a damn word he said and boring as hell, but hey I've seen him. That's all that mattered, but Paul Simon blew him away that night.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home