Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones Superbowl performance
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: April 15, 2022 01:58

I have always thought that a great opportunity missed was the Superbowl halftime performance. Yes - they played three great songs...
In the time allotted they could have done a great version of Midnight Rambler.
That would have been very cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-15 20:59 by bv.

Re: Superbowl
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2022 02:09

It was a weak performance.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 15, 2022 03:37

It was fantastic.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2022 06:33

You're playing to an even more strict crowd than their stadium sets. People want hits. The most daring thing they did was play Rough Justice.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 15, 2022 10:43

I was up all night to see that Super Ball live and recorded the whole lot. Good thing about watching it in Europe was that there were no silly bleeps! Does that mean my recording is worth a fortune to Americans? (kidding winking smiley).

I actually was in shock watching that unique stage being build up in 6 or so minutes right in front of my eyes !!!! And then the real fans surfacing from under the tongue ... wow. And great that they followed my idea (winking smiley) to use that concept on a following tour. I would have loved to be at that Super Ball half time concert, but it almost felt so when I entered the tongue pit in London cool smiley
I do have a "sky picture" of that Super Ball stage on the wall. Every time I watch it, I can't help but smile.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: April 15, 2022 13:04

The real fans? I always thought they were 'rent-a-fans'. Like the girls in the Beacon Theatre shows...

Date: April 15, 2022 14:24

ribbelchips
The real fans? I always thought they were 'rent-a-fans'. Like the girls in the Beacon Theatre shows...

I heard that, but I also saw interviews with real fans selected on age! Because of the 6 minutes in which all had to be set up (including running to the pit under shelter of the segments) they didn’t want to take a risk with “old” fans (I hate that idea because at almost 74 I think I can still compete with Mick grinning smiley)

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 15, 2022 14:32

Hairball
It was a disappointment.

Date: April 15, 2022 19:43

Taylor1
Hairball
It was a disappointment.

Gentlemen, what did you expect? It's only 15 minutes, right? 3 songs is all they could bring.
I suppose it's not about cheerleaders showing their t*ts were missing? (Sorry, no intention to provoke #MeToo).
Let me know what you think would have been special ...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 15, 2022 20:21

Musically, they sounded flat. Plus Rough Justice is a snoozer, the best song from their worst album.Tumbling Dice, Let's Spend the Night Together, She Was Hot would have been better choices. If they played Street Fighting Man like they did in 1973 or Jumping Jack Flash like they did in 1989, that would have been awesome.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 15, 2022 21:29

Taylor1
If they played Street Fighting Man like they did in 1973 or Jumping Jack Flash like they did in 1989, that would have been awesome.

How are they supposed to do this?

Re: The Rolling Stones Superbowl performance
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 15, 2022 21:41

I was a show fir the masses not Stones fans

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 15, 2022 22:17

Taylor1
Musically, they sounded flat. Plus Rough Justice is a snoozer, the best song from their worst album.Tumbling Dice, Let's Spend the Night Together, She Was Hot would have been better choices. If they played Street Fighting Man like they did in 1973 or Jumping Jack Flash like they did in 1989, that would have been awesome.

I was really disappointed that they were not 40 years younger and Brian Jones was not with them. I want my money back.

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2022 22:58

georgie48
Taylor1
Hairball
It was a disappointment.

Gentlemen, what did you expect? It's only 15 minutes, right? 3 songs is all they could bring.
I suppose it's not about cheerleaders showing their t*ts were missing? (Sorry, no intention to provoke #MeToo).
Let me know what you think would have been special ...

Haha. I sometimes think in what kind of alternative or fantasy world some fans live in. What they actually were expecting? Some sort of miracle to happen that goes beyond anything the band's been like for years?

They played their most recent single and two classics everyone knows in a very special show with probably the biggest live audience in their life. And they played them about like they had played them during the tour, no better, no worse. The band just not happen to be any better than that. Take it or leave it.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-15 23:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: April 15, 2022 23:08

The Stones is one of the few bands to have played the Super Bowl without any backing tracks, that in itself makes me a proud fan, here's Eddie Trunk talking about it a few years ago:

Date: April 15, 2022 23:39

RaiseTheKnife
The Stones is one of the few bands to have played the Super Bowl without any backing tracks, that in itself makes me a proud fan, here's Eddie Trunk talking about it a few years ago:

Think about if the Stones had been playing with backing track, probably just Mick singing live like in some 60's tv shows... The negative boys have had a field day. Now just their live performance sucks...

- Doxa

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 16, 2022 00:19

Taylor1

Rough Justice was on Undercover? I thought the best song on that album was UOTN.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2022 00:23

Doxa
Taylor1

I was really disappointed that they were not 40 years younger and Brian Jones was not with them. I want my money back.

- Doxa

Brian quit?! When was this??

Date: April 16, 2022 00:38

treaclefingers
Doxa
Taylor1

- Doxa

Brian quit?! When was this??

You know, I once went to see Bob Dylan. I was expecting this protest singer playing just by himself acoustic guitar and harmonica once in a while, but oh shit, there was this loud rock and roll band called Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers backing him up. And the dude even was singing like I couldn't recognize the bloody songs. They didn't even give my bloody money back.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-16 00:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: April 16, 2022 01:08

How can they do "Midnight Rambler" if you only have 15 min. to play songs? During a concert and they play "Midnight Rambler, Y C A G W Y W and Sympathy that's almost +/- 25 minutes of a gig!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 16, 2022 01:13

I love the Stones super bowl show because everyone else makes a huge spectacle out of it with fireworks, one special effect after another, big choreographies with dozens of dancers... The Stones just played three usual songs like they didn't give a damn at all. Like it was just another gig. It was totally underwhelming and that's what I love about it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 16, 2022 01:19

Yeah. Great idea. Play a 12 minute song that hardly any of the worldwide audience knows and then walk off leaving 70,000 people bewildered. ABC would probably have vetoed that song anyway. If they can't cope with words like 'cum' and 'cocks' in the 3 songs they DID play, they'd have had a shitfit about a song apparently glorifying a serial killer who raped most of his victims.

They had a new album and a tour to promote so you could pretty much have predicted the setlist. One rocker off the new album and two classics. Job done. Not the greatest Superbowl set in history (that's still Prince) but a rock solid effort. And, as pointed out above, it was all live.

Date: April 16, 2022 01:39

Probably using a slot like that while about the whole world watching ya.. Well, being drunk, take two pals wasted as well, pick up a guitar, and a song like "Hollis Brown" might do.... (and, of course, don't tell your pals the song before hand) grinning smiley

Those were the days, my friend. smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-16 01:45 by Doxa.

Date: April 16, 2022 02:04

At least there were no wardrobe malfunctions.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 16, 2022 02:29

Great garage-y Satisfaction on this, love it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2022 03:12

....not the easiest dump ta play ...
Most of those half-time shows end up dead
Crowd are there for game and some rock band comes
on while their stuffin down a hot-dog and takin a slash...

check out Meatloaf and Angry Anderson at the MCG ....HHHaaaa

Stones did damn good comin out with the throttle wide open ....
No foreplay ....straight to throat churners .... And YEAH
super dirty garage grit grinding Satisfaction .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2022 03:18

Midnight Rambler mighta worked if Mick hadda been
allowed ta crawl inta the main Superbowel audience
an whip a few of them there gals .... HHHHHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2022 06:52

Taylor1

Your odd opinion about worst album aside, it was the album they were touring at the time. And Rough Justice was the shortest and best song they could do.

And they would they play a song from the past like they did in the past?

It's one thing if Mick were to sing "It's a honky tonk, honnnnky tonk, woman" opposed to "it's a honnnnnnnnnnnn" etc. Same with Jumpin' Jack Flash.

It's ridiculous to think they'd play them like 1973 or 1989 whatever.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2022 07:00

RaiseTheKnife

Wow.

I had no idea they were in their 70s when they played Super Bowl 40.

Sorry.

Super Bowl XL.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 16, 2022 19:34

I liked it. The energy was great. I’m a bit disappointed they didn’t do JJF, but I guess they had to do Satisfaction

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home