Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stones price levels
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 15, 2022 20:16

NashvilleBlues
georgie48
NashvilleBlues
Stoneage
It's mainly the prices on concert tickets that have skyrocketed. In 1990, for example the price for a concert ticket was about 1,5 that of an LP. In other words affordable for most.

You got that right. In 1994, I bought a pit ticket for Pearl Jam for $19.

Pearl Jam ????? Jeeeeeeez*s, this isn't even comparing apples with pears. We're talking about a proud, beautiful Siberiaan tiger next to a poodle dog. They're okay, Pearl Jam (I know them well because one of my daughters used to be a fan), but get real here.

smileys with beer

You totally missed the point, I was talking about how high ticket prices have gone. I was not comparing Pearl Jam to The Rolling Stones. That said, Pearl Jam is one of the biggest, most respected, most successful acts in rock history, not to mention the last 30 years. Your analogy is way off.

Its everywhere. Used to see the Grateful Dead WITH Jerry Garcia for $20 at the same venue where the TM fees more than twice what it cost to get in then without Jerry and Phil. If one doesn't want to pay, then one doesn't go. I am not going.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 15, 2022 20:19

Yes, it pretty much is everywhere. Very few exceptions. Pretty sad state of affairs. I definitely contribute to it, though. Those days are coming to an end, however. Diminishing returns at this point. Pretty much no one left on my bucket list, and how many times do I need to see the same band?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 16, 2022 01:01

NashvilleBlues
24FPS
Isn't it strange? The less you get, the more you pay. I'd pay $300 USD to see the '72 Stones in concert. I wouldn't pay $100 USD to see the current version. I didn't go near the bloated prices at Sofi when they played Los Angeles. Just like I won't go near there for the upcoming McCartney concert next month. Paul's voice is just about gone, but you'll pay exorbitant prices to hear it.

It's all relevant. Someone paid $5,300,000 for a copy of Superman Comics #1. Not the first appearance, which was Action Comics #1, but a book that was a reprint of early Superman stories.

The Rolling Stones no longer have relevance. They're a commodity. There's no novelty, no surprise. You don't even get what you paid for. All these vintage acts are just vacuuming up all the money they can before retirement.

Not all. Bob Dylan and his band still bring it. The Ryman show was sublime.
Bob Dylan still brings it? His voice was shot loooong ago. Some people think that's art. Each to his own. I think he just completely lost his voice.

Date: April 16, 2022 01:05

daspyknows
slewan
in fact it's hard to say what I hate more – people singing along or people filming/taking selfies

both
I like people singing along - as long as it blends in nicely with the sound. But then there's always that one guy with that voice that's louder than anything else screaming his lungs out while singing totally flat.

Date: April 16, 2022 07:22

StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
Isn't it strange? The less you get, the more you pay. I'd pay $300 USD to see the '72 Stones in concert. I wouldn't pay $100 USD to see the current version. I didn't go near the bloated prices at Sofi when they played Los Angeles. Just like I won't go near there for the upcoming McCartney concert next month. Paul's voice is just about gone, but you'll pay exorbitant prices to hear it.

It's all relevant. Someone paid $5,300,000 for a copy of Superman Comics #1. Not the first appearance, which was Action Comics #1, but a book that was a reprint of early Superman stories.

The Rolling Stones no longer have relevance. They're a commodity. There's no novelty, no surprise. You don't even get what you paid for. All these vintage acts are just vacuuming up all the money they can before retirement.

Not all. Bob Dylan and his band still bring it. The Ryman show was sublime.
Bob Dylan still brings it? His voice was shot loooong ago. Some people think that's art. Each to his own. I think he just completely lost his voice.

I could understand every word, honestly. And, when has Dylan ever been about his voice?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2022 08:26

And, when has Dylan ever been about his voice?

Hey yeah thats right .....
Next album Tiki-bar instrumentals

ROCKMAN

Date: April 16, 2022 09:12

NashvilleBlues
I could understand every word, honestly. And, when has Dylan ever been about his voice?
I know that's how people try to justify it but at the end of the day Dylan is a singer. Otherwise he would write poems.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2022 09:25

Dylans vocals had actually seemed to improve in the last 10 -15 years or so vs. the 10-20 or so years prior.
There was a lengthy period when he sounded really bad - croaking like a frog bad, but evidently he had some serious throat issues that had since been taken care of about a decade or so ago.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 16, 2022 10:16

Hairball
Dylans vocals had actually seemed to improve in the last 10 -15 years or so vs. the 10-20 or so years prior.
There was a lengthy period when he sounded really bad - croaking like a frog bad, but evidently he had some serious throat issues that had since been taken care of about a decade or so ago.

well, his Sinatra exercises surely did help. They helped him to develop a new voice.

Date: April 16, 2022 14:36

StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues
I know that's how people try to justify it but at the end of the day Dylan is a singer. Otherwise he would write poems.

He does write poems. And he is known for his phrasing, cadence, and lyrics way more than his vocal range. Why am I telling you this? You should already know, unless you’re playing dumb. It’s hard to tell.

Have you seen him on his current tour? I’ll bet you haven’t.

Date: April 16, 2022 14:39

Rockman
And, when has Dylan ever been about his voice?

Hey yeah thats right .....
Next album Tiki-bar instrumentals

Haha! You know what I mean. He’s never been Mariah Carey. It’s not about vocal gymnastics.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 16, 2022 14:48

About Dylan: I heard an interview with a back-up singer working on one of his albums. She sang beautifully but Dylan reprimanded her on her performance so she started to sing like him, kind of mocking him.
Then Dylan praised her and told her how good she sounded...

Date: April 16, 2022 19:36

NashvilleBlues
StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues

He does write poems. And he is known for his phrasing, cadence, and lyrics way more than his vocal range. Why am I telling you this? You should already know, unless you’re playing dumb. It’s hard to tell.

No honestly I haven't but I have listened to all of his more recent albums. I liked the last original one quite well, also because he was able to write the songs in a way that fit his speech-like singing.
The Sinatra one, I really didn't get the point. He obviously tried to do well but in the end his singing was like some old man in a Karaoke bar covering Sinatra.

Each to his own. But you answered "Bob Dylan is still bringing it" to somebody claiming the Stones are not bringing it anymore. Mick Jagger is working is ass off, working on his vocal ability, on his body and on his dancing for months before the tour, delivering a performance like an athlete. In comparison to what the Stones bring Bob Dylans performances these days are quite week. I spoke to several people visiting desert trip. Everyone agrees he was the weekest link in the line-up.

Of course Dylan is not about vocal athletics but he doesn't have the ability to get out all the different expressions and moods that are in his lyrics anymore. Especially in his older songs for example there are sentenced that are supposed to be shouted out in a higher register then other sentences are supposed to be sung in a really relaxed manner. But Dylan nowadays can sing it all in one rather speaking-sounding voice, also not being able to sing faster phrases effortlessly anymore nor holding longer notes. It's not about being a vocal athlete or not, he doesn't even has the basic range of human expression in is voice like higher, lower, quieter, louder. But he lost his vocal abilities a looong time ago, so I guess people got used to it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-16 19:42 by StonedRambler.

Re: Prices
Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: April 16, 2022 21:10

calipachangero
I think the Stones themselves do not decide retail or concert prices. These kind of things seem to be part of contracts with promoters, record companies etc.
And these people realize that the band soon, maybe very soon, will be gone and that means no more tours, and a steady decrease of music sales, because the main target group for physical products will be gone pretty soon too. Just saying.

On the other hand I think that once you've become rich, greed to a certain degree will be a constant part of your life. Doesn't matter if you're inclined so or forced to act accordingly.

I do also draw a line when it comes to prices. As for the expenses you've mentioned, I will stick with the CD version of El Mocambo (20.80 Euro) and lucky dip tickets for concerts in Bern and Gelsenkirchen (~60 Euros per ticket).
Might end up in the pit and if its just a seat with poor visibility I'll still get the sound, because that is the main thing.

Re: Prices
Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: April 16, 2022 21:21

Come on guys, the Stones are no saints... If they want it the Rolling Stones can control the price of tickets.They are free to include whatever they want in contracts.They love the big money.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 16, 2022 21:35

StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues
StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues

No honestly I haven't but I have listened to all of his more recent albums. I liked the last original one quite well, also because he was able to write the songs in a way that fit his speech-like singing.
The Sinatra one, I really didn't get the point. He obviously tried to do well but in the end his singing was like some old man in a Karaoke bar covering Sinatra.

Each to his own. But you answered "Bob Dylan is still bringing it" to somebody claiming the Stones are not bringing it anymore. Mick Jagger is working is ass off, working on his vocal ability, on his body and on his dancing for months before the tour, delivering a performance like an athlete. In comparison to what the Stones bring Bob Dylans performances these days are quite week. I spoke to several people visiting desert trip. Everyone agrees he was the weekest link in the line-up.

maybe you should do some 'empirical research' => [www.youtube.com]

Beside all that: Desert Trip wasn't Dylan strongest perforance AND it has nothing to do with what he did in 2019 and 2021/22.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2022 23:02

I was at both Desert Trips, and Dylan's performances were great both weekends. That said, I think the massive atmosphere of an enormous outdoor festival in the desert didn't suit his performance very well - he's much better in smaller intimate venues where he can be better appreciated. Leave the giant stadiums and outdoor festivals to circus acts like the Stones and McCartney where visuals on a big screen are a major factor of the show, but let Dylan perform in his element in a smaller setting such as a theater and he's still amazing.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 18, 2022 21:40

Dylan is doing three nights at the Pantages Theatre in June, a 2,700 seater. That should be much better for a Dylan concert. I saw him at the Wiltern, which seats 1,850 a few years back and it was great. A balcony seat is fine. It's not like you have to see his face close up. Or Jagger's.

Sadly that's also the kind of theater where the Stones sound best, too. Compressed, like Sticky Fingers at the Fonda. I'm not that fond of the latter day Stones, but that was an exemplary performance.

I will never see the Stones in a stadium again. Especially at these prices.

Date: April 18, 2022 21:45

StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues
StonedRambler
NashvilleBlues

Of course Dylan is not about vocal athletics but he doesn't have the ability to get out all the different expressions and moods that are in his lyrics anymore. Especially in his older songs for example there are sentenced that are supposed to be shouted out in a higher register then other sentences are supposed to be sung in a really relaxed manner. But Dylan nowadays can sing it all in one rather speaking-sounding voice, also not being able to sing faster phrases effortlessly anymore nor holding longer notes. It's not about being a vocal athlete or not, he doesn't even has the basic range of human expression in is voice like higher, lower, quieter, louder. But he lost his vocal abilities a looong time ago, so I guess people got used to it.

Again, go see him on this tour, then get back to me...

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home