Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Did Rock and Roll Circus inspire The Beatles Rooftop Concert?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 9, 2022 13:05

Rockman
Lennon would do anything for her ....
She influenced his life so much ....

Yoko was the best thing that happened to John artistically. He left the pop group and started making more interesting, mature stuff.

- Doxa

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 9, 2022 13:13

Doxa
Rockman

Yoko was the best thing that happened to John artistically. He left the pop group and started making more interesting, mature stuff.

- Doxa

You have a point there, I do also appreciate John Lennon's solo outputs a lot, but I rarely listen to the Beatles.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 9, 2022 13:16

Erik_Snow
Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

You have a point there, I do also appreciate John Lennon's solo outputs a lot, but I rarely listen to the Beatles.
I am the opposite.Nothing Lennon did solo is anywhere as great as his best Beatles work.Please Please Me, Hard Days Night, Day in the Life.I think most of his solo music has aged badly and is depressing

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 9, 2022 13:23

his solo music has aged badly and is depressing ....YEP

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: April 9, 2022 13:48

There seemed to be plans by early October 1968 by the Beatles for a live tv special...so more or less these ideas were in the air for both bands.
Also One Plus One with the studio footage of SFTD premiered at the end of November. And btw Godard was the one filming Jefferson Airplane on the rooftop in New York.
And in 1967 we had the Beatles live broadcast of All You Need Is Love with Mick and Keith attending.
So I wouldn't conclude if the one inspired the other, but tv specials, live broadcasts, filming while rehearsing or recording, all seemed to be ideas kicked around back then by both bands (and others)

Date: April 9, 2022 13:56

Erik_Snow
Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

Same here. I probably haven't listened a Beatles song willingly for 30 years. I did my best at my youth to discover a Beatles fan in me, but I find it a mission impossible, and I finally gave up. But I find Lennon's solo work inspiring, and the older I get the more and more I seem to like it, and I listen it rather often. To me Lennon leaving the Beatles is like Abba member transforming to Bob Dylan. But that's just me, I know I belong to the minority here, and I do understand why people love the Beatles and their sweet and catchy pop melodies, although they bore me to death. Same with Abba. Had Lennon met Yoko earlier, and left the pop group earlier, some cool Lennon tunes, such as "A Day in the Life", might have been saved.

Probably we should give some kudos to the Stones, too. They gave John a template to perform solo (or outside the pop group) for the first time.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-09 13:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 9, 2022 14:00

the run off after A Day in the Life
was me fave ... use ta make me break me collar an chain ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 9, 2022 14:41

CaptainCorella
georgie48
CaptainCorella
georgie48

Didn't Something Happened To Me Yesterday "do" something in connection to the creation of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heartsclub Band?

That's news to me. Can you provide a good source for that assertion? Thanks.

Hi CC. Some years ago I also mentioned that "story". I remember seeing an extensive interview with John Lennon and somewhere "in the middle" he talked about what inspired him listening to SHTMY, in particular the horn section. I spent hours and days trying to figure out which interview it was and in the end I managed to persuade the (then) chairman of a Dutch Beatles fanclub to help me out. But nothing turned up then. Like I said, I remember it was an extensive interview, so one would have to listen to all of it. Who knows, one day?

So. The "authority" for this claim is that you think you remember an interview in which Lennon brings it up. And, despite the help of someone well versed in Beatles history you've NEVER (so far) been able to verify the claim.

Word of advice. If you have a claim like that to make, then don't simply drop it in a posting - qualified at most by a question mark at the end - make sure you point out how tenuous the claim is.

Fake Memory is interesting. I have a very firm FAKE MEMORY of a BBC radio broadcast of The Beatles playing "Ticket To Ride" on a particular programme. So firm is the fake memory that I enlisted Mark Lewisohn to try and find the origin, and he - in turn - got Kevin Howlett to check the entirety of the BBC's contracts with The Beatles to see if it happened. It didn't.

If it's true, then we can be sure that it will be documented in a future edition of Mark's books.

So, please be more careful with your claims.

Hi CC.
Memory is memory. It can be from a dream, for instance. But just check my first mail. It has a question mark at the end. Also, I have a very active life and go for things intensively if I think it's worthwhile. So sometimes certain aspects get less attention, but they are still in the back of my mind. So if anything triggers them, I tend to give it another try.
The nice thing about being on IORR is that sometimes someone comes up with something not quite sure and then out of the blue someone else comes up with proof. So like many others on IORR, I also tackle something that surfaces from the back of my mind. No big deal, I'd say. No bad intentions winking smiley
People inspire people, and those who claim that "this person, or this band" is/are the first to come up with something are basically fooling themselves.
Just like all those scientists that say it all started with "the Big Bang". Interesting is that over the past decades, lots of modifications have surfaced on that BB theory. So maybe it's rubbish after all. It's still a theory. Maybe "our" Big Bang was merely a revival of a massive super Black Hole (one of other massive black holes, that created other Universes invisible to us minor creatures cool smiley)
My "theory" on John Lennon's horn section story is so far back in time, that maybe it's proven right one day, but until then, anyone can reject it as rubbish.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 9, 2022 16:00

ukcal
Long live Yoko?...she is having a good go , will be 90 next Feb

It would be something if she outlives Paul and Ringo.
The last Beatle standing.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 9, 2022 16:19

I thought Paul was already dead.......

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 9, 2022 17:56

Elmo Lewis

You are right! So it’s down to Ringo and Yoko. I bet if Ringo wasn’t married, Yoko would marry him. What a great finale to the popsters.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 9, 2022 18:48

MKjan
Elmo Lewis

You are right! So it’s down to Ringo and Yoko. I bet if Ringo wasn’t married, Yoko would marry him. What a great finale to the popsters.

grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2022 02:28

No, but U2 stole the Beatles rooftop concert idea for the Where The Streets Have No Name video.

For me, the first chink in the armour, followed by Rattle & Hum.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 10, 2022 03:36

Irix
The Joker

Could the Stones Rock and Roll Circus ( 11–12 December 1968) have inspired the Beatles rooftop concert (30 January 1969) ?

It doesn't look like. The original intention behind the Beatles' Get Back project was for the band to make a return as live performers with a special one-off TV-special performance.

For the venue they were considering e.g. the Roundhouse in Camden, the Royal Albert Hall or the Tate gallery. Other ideas were e.g. a gig at an orphanage, at the Houses of Parliament, at an Airport or in front of an audience made up solely of dogs.

Filmmaker Michael Lindsay-Hogg had the idea to take a cruise ship to Libya and play in the ruins of amphitheatre in Sabratha, an ancient Roman city in Libya. John Lennon was enthusiastic about this idea, Paul McCartney was also up for it, while Ringo Starr didn't say no and George Harrison dismissed the "very expensive and insane" idea, adding that he didn't want to be "stuck with a bloody big boatload of people for two weeks".

The band eventually nixed the idea of a TV-special and in the end the Fab Four, joined by Billy Preston, performed an unannounced concert from the rooftop of their Apple Corps headquarters at London's 3 Savile Row on 30 January 1969.

[en.Wikipedia.org] , [NYpost.com] , [www.GoldRadioUK.com] .

The circus may have inspired the beatles (or just John) to want to play live but certainly not the roof top specifically.

The new 8 eight hour documentary sheds alot of light on this. The rooftop idea came very randomly. They were contemplating all those other ideas to cap off the film and playing a live show was the focus whether it be on a cruise ship or in the street. They were determined to make it happen. During the documentary both Paul and John reminisce about the Hamburg club days.

We have to remember what was going on in the rock scene. Many bands were playing live and touring and the Stones and beatles really seemed to be on the sidelines during this time, again in terms of performing. Jimi, Cream, the Who, many American bands, etc etc were doing it so I think the Stones and beatles were looking around and were inspired by the live rock scene.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 10, 2022 04:30

“Why don’t we do it on the roof?”

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: April 10, 2022 15:59

Imagine if the Beatles had toured in 1969. After watching the Jackson documentary I feel it would have been awful. And awfully boring. Macca would want all his cheesy songs, John would want Yoko onstage, George would have left after two weeks and Ringo would just be drunk and asleep. The Stones live in 69 would have wiped them off the map.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 10, 2022 16:34

Doxa
Erik_Snow
Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

Same here. I probably haven't listened a Beatles song willingly for 30 years. I did my best at my youth to discover a Beatles fan in me, but I find it a mission impossible, and I finally gave up. But I find Lennon's solo work inspiring, and the older I get the more and more I seem to like it, and I listen it rather often. To me Lennon leaving the Beatles is like Abba member transforming to Bob Dylan. But that's just me, I know I belong to the minority here, and I do understand why people love the Beatles and their sweet and catchy pop melodies, although they bore me to death. Same with Abba. Had Lennon met Yoko earlier, and left the pop group earlier, some cool Lennon tunes, such as "A Day in the Life", might have been saved.

Probably we should give some kudos to the Stones, too. They gave John a template to perform solo (or outside the pop group) for the first time.

- Doxa

I often agree with you, but this made me chuckle... First, I never heard ABBA doing something like Yer Blues or Revolution#9. Second, as a musician myself I can tell you that it's easier to write tons of "meaningful" music than a single catchy pop tune that's still remembered 10, 20, 50 or even 100 years after the event.

For me, the artist John Lennon got drowned in increasing self-importance after he left the Beatles, and Yoko may have a lot to do with it. Definitely not saying that there aren't a handful of excellent solo tunes that stood the test of time, but almost nothing that he could not have done within the Beatles.

There is a reason why a mere 4 years of the Beatles disbanded, Lennon just went back to the roots with the Rock'n'Roll album - and that not much more came after it.

Date: April 10, 2022 17:37

retired_dog
Doxa
Erik_Snow
Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

- Doxa

I often agree with you, but this made me chuckle... First, I never heard ABBA doing something like Yer Blues or Revolution#9. Second, as a musician myself I can tell you that it's easier to write tons of "meaningful" music than a single catchy pop tune that's still remembered 10, 20, 50 or even 100 years after the event.

For me, the artist John Lennon got drowned in increasing self-importance after he left the Beatles, and Yoko may have a lot to do with it. Definitely not saying that there aren't a handful of excellent solo tunes that stood the test of time, but almost nothing that he could not have done within the Beatles.

There is a reason why a mere 4 years of the Beatles disbanded, Lennon just went back to the roots with the Rock'n'Roll album - and that not much more came after it.

Haha, and I thought no one picked up that line...

There is no reason to deny the absolute genious of Lennon/McCartney as song-writers (nor the one of Abba dudes). They are brilliant. Also taken how popular their music still is, their catalogue has aged very well. But I am not talking about that, but just my personal taste. For some reason the music of the Beatles just don't work for me and I find it boring (so I don't willingly listen that ever. Why to waste bullets, since there are so much exciting music in the world to listen and discover). And for some other reason Lennon's solo stuff works for me. A certain kind of chemical reaction, or the lack of it. But opinions are like arseholes, they say...

What goes for "Yer Blues", oh man I dig the Dirty Mac version of it. Lennon has a damn great band there.

Generally my favourite period of the Beatles is the early Beatlemania years (1963/4), you know, all those catchy and eternally fresh-sounding pop hits "She Loves You", "Wanna Hold Your Hand", "Hard Day's Night", etc. But when they started being more 'experimental' and a studio trick band, they lost that appeal to me. No denying their significance, but by the time of people like Hendrix popping up, I think an exciting and actually innovative music was to be found from somewhere else. No matter what Beatlelogists claim...

- Doxa

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 10, 2022 18:30

Doxa
retired_dog
Doxa
Erik_Snow
Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

- Doxa

Haha, and I thought no one picked up that line...

There is no reason to deny the absolute genious of Lennon/McCartney as song-writers (nor the one of Abba dudes). They are brilliant. Also taken how popular their music still is, their catalogue has aged very well. But I am not talking about that, but just my personal taste. For some reason the music of the Beatles just don't work for me and I find it boring (so I don't willingly listen that ever. Why to waste bullets, since there are so much exciting music in the world to listen and discover). And for some other reason Lennon's solo stuff works for me. A certain kind of chemical reaction, or the lack of it. But opinions are like arseholes, they say...

What goes for "Yer Blues", oh man I dig the Dirty Mac version of it. Lennon has a damn great band there.

Generally my favourite period of the Beatles is the early Beatlemania years (1963/4), you know, all those catchy and eternally fresh-sounding pop hits "She Loves You", "Wanna Hold Your Hand", "Hard Day's Night", etc. But when they started being more 'experimental' and a studio trick band, they lost that appeal to me. No denying their significance, but by the time of people like Hendrix popping up, I think an exciting and actually innovative music was to be found from somewhere else. No matter what Beatlelogists claim...

- Doxa

Yeah, I'm aware that you spoke about personal taste, and maybe our obvious age difference leads to different viewpoints. I mean you seem to look back on the 60's like something in the past since you first discovered music while I actually lived through it - the sheer explosion, every few weeks a new Stones and Beatles single, at least one album every year by your favourite artists, you had Dylan, The Who, Hendrix & loads of others great artists, musical styles coming and going within a mere couple of years - not much time to dissect anything, because the next great single or album was just around the corner.

Just look at the amount of output from both Stones & Beatles alone and the development and different styles they went through within a mere couple of years during the 60's and it still looks like they were creatively burning like a candle, possibly even from both sides which explains why these years are simply unparalleled until now. And Hendrix was burnt and gone after a handful of years already.

The artists had to evolve and adapt to the quickly changing times at neckbreaking speed, and only those who were creatively capable to do this survived in the long run. Stones & Beatles appearing on the scene in 1969 with "Come On" and "Love Me Do" would have been lost - like the Knickerbockers in 1965 or 1966 already with a tune like "Lies", sounding like early Beatles, but already out of time...

Yet, even in 1969, shortly before their end, the Beatles, without much studio trickery, were still able to come up with something of

this

eternal beauty (although not young & rebellious sounding anymore, I give you that!).

But, of course, not all fans following every artistic change in direction - that occasionally happened. Just remember the "Dylan goes electric"-drama... Or "Stones go psychedelic". Or...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-10 18:43 by retired_dog.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 10, 2022 22:30

After 1967 there was some "silence". The Beatles had to come up with something spectacular again (by demand of the fans and the media) after SPLHCB. Don't misunderstand me, I occasionally enjoy listening to that album, but it was lifted beyond itself by the media. Epstein had died, leaving a gap.
The Rolling Stones had a traumatic year with three of its members even briefly jailed. They had to come up with something new too. Known already as the best live act around, they were searching for new options, but times were against them.
Then, after a Musical Express mini concert, the R 'n R Circus idea surfaced. Although not really so, but it gave them a chance to play sort of live again. Sadly Brian went downhill and chances of playing really live became even slimmer.
For the Beatles playing live was even more difficult due to the cult status. But really, they, like all musicians off course also wanted to play live together. They managed in the end to get as far as that rooftop concert and that was it.
The Stones had to dump Brian in order to have any chance to play really live again. Well, with Mick Taylor and "Hyde Park" they found that all important entry and off they went, becoming the Greatest Rock and Roll band on the planet (and possibly "our" Galaxy(winking smiley).
The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and the three cousins ... who could have thought that cool smiley
Amazing ...
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home