Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did Rock and Roll Circus inspire The Beatles Rooftop Concert?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 8, 2022 11:32

Could the Stones Rock and Roll Circus ( 11–12 December 1968) have inspired the Beatles rooftop concert (30 January 1969) ?
Pros
. Unconventional private concert
. John Lennon acts in both events

Cons
. The R’n’R circus was meant to be a TV show. Don’t know about the rooftop gig until the Disney release (2022)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 12:25 by bv.

Re: Did Rock and Roll Circus inspire Rooftop Concert?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2022 11:44

Definitely ....

ROCKMAN

Re: Did Rock and Roll Circus inspire The Beatles Rooftop Concert?
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 8, 2022 12:32

No it did not.The Beatles we’re planning a live concert at an entertainment venue like an arena or even a cruise ship , but then just settled on the roof top because George ,particularly did not want to do the former.I see no connection between the two other than the director

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 8, 2022 13:36

Taylor1
No it did not.The Beatles we’re planning a live concert at an entertainment venue like an arena or even a cruise ship , but then just settled on the roof top because George ,particularly did not want to do the former.I see no connection between the two other than the director

You don't, Taylor1, others do. The Rolling Stones and the Beatles have always(!) looked at eachother and not only that. They discussed all kind of potentially interesting musical options from time to time with eachother (mostly on idividual level).
Didn't Something Happened To Me Yesterday "do" something in connection to the creation of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heartsclub Band?

Rubbish circulated that The Rolling Stones always "copied" the Beatles (must have been Beatles fans saying that grinning smiley). F.i. HSMR would have been a "copy" of SPLHCB. However, The Rolling Stones were already experimenting in late 1966 with music that evolved into HSMR (documented report by Ian Stewart). And how about "Hear it" (1964, Beatleish composition by Brian and Keith) f.i.?
So Yes, the Beatles' rooftop mini-concert was surely in part inspired by R 'n R Circus.
They were friends, remember ...

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: April 8, 2022 14:03

Thanks Mick great idea ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 8, 2022 14:10

The Joker

Could the Stones Rock and Roll Circus ( 11–12 December 1968) have inspired the Beatles rooftop concert (30 January 1969) ?

It doesn't look like. The original intention behind the Beatles' Get Back project was for the band to make a return as live performers with a special one-off TV-special performance.

For the venue they were considering e.g. the Roundhouse in Camden, the Royal Albert Hall or the Tate gallery. Other ideas were e.g. a gig at an orphanage, at the Houses of Parliament, at an Airport or in front of an audience made up solely of dogs.

Filmmaker Michael Lindsay-Hogg had the idea to take a cruise ship to Libya and play in the ruins of amphitheatre in Sabratha, an ancient Roman city in Libya. John Lennon was enthusiastic about this idea, Paul McCartney was also up for it, while Ringo Starr didn't say no and George Harrison dismissed the "very expensive and insane" idea, adding that he didn't want to be "stuck with a bloody big boatload of people for two weeks".

The band eventually nixed the idea of a TV-special and in the end the Fab Four, joined by Billy Preston, performed an unannounced concert from the rooftop of their Apple Corps headquarters at London's 3 Savile Row on 30 January 1969.

[en.Wikipedia.org] , [NYpost.com] , [www.GoldRadioUK.com] .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 8, 2022 14:39

"The original intention behind the Beatles' Get Back project was for the band to make a return as live performers with a special one-off TV-special performance."

But doesn't that sound like some certain other band was thinking alike a bit earlier? A return as live performers with a special one-off TV-special performance (and I guess the director in question was thought to be the same one, and of which John Lennon already had experience of). A total co-incidence?

But interesting those ideas about the Roman amphiteathre gig. The certain other band was thinking later Colosseo, with the same director. Seemingly the (crazy) ideas were pretty shared or 'in the air' at the time.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 14:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 8, 2022 14:41

georgie48

Didn't Something Happened To Me Yesterday "do" something in connection to the creation of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heartsclub Band?

That's news to me. Can you provide a good source for that assertion? Thanks.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 8, 2022 14:50

And then in 1975 the Stones used a trailer. To promote their new tour or guitarist. I cannot remember.

Date: April 8, 2022 15:10

Doxa

A total co-incidence?

Maybe John (& Yoko) saw in Rock'n'Roll Circus that a one-off live-performance for a TV-special was doable ....

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 8, 2022 15:44

Date: April 8, 2022 15:53

Cristiano Radtke

Google tells me... "On the morning of November 19th, 1968, midtown Manhattan got a very rude awakening when Jefferson Airplane, one of the most potent rock acts that emerged from the San Francisco scene of the 1960s, started a free concert atop the roof of one of the older hotels in the neighborhood."

So, assuming that The Fabs knew about that, it (Jefferson's concert) is far far far more likely to have influenced the events at Apple than the R&R Circus.

Interesting thing to have found out about! :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 8, 2022 15:58

I purchased a VCR tape of the Rock n Roll circus in 1996. I thought it was great! I always could not understand why the Stones did not release is earlier.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 8, 2022 16:58

CaptainCorella
Cristiano Radtke

Google tells me... "On the morning of November 19th, 1968, midtown Manhattan got a very rude awakening when Jefferson Airplane, one of the most potent rock acts that emerged from the San Francisco scene of the 1960s, started a free concert atop the roof of one of the older hotels in the neighborhood."

So, assuming that The Fabs knew about that, it (Jefferson's concert) is far far far more likely to have influenced the events at Apple than the R&R Circus.

Interesting thing to have found out about! :-)
+1 . Plus the Beatles got to play longer before 50 showed up .

Date: April 8, 2022 17:05

Rocknroll1969

I purchased a VCR tape of the Rock n Roll circus in 1996. I thought it was great! I always could not understand why the Stones did not release is earlier.

"Jagger was reportedly so disappointed with his and the band's performance that he cancelled the airing of the film and kept it from public view. [...] The project was abandoned until director Michael Lindsay-Hogg attempted to edit the film in 1992 but, due to missing principal footage, the project was put on hold. Some of the footage of the concert was thought to be lost or destroyed until 1993, when it was discovered in a bin in the Who's private film vault by the director/producer team Michael Gochanour and Robin Klein. Subsequent to their discovery, Gochanour and Klein completed the unfinished film in autumn 1996" - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 8, 2022 18:32

CaptainCorella
georgie48

Hi CC. Some years ago I also mentioned that "story". I remember seeing an extensive interview with John Lennon and somewhere "in the middle" he talked about what inspired him listening to SHTMY, in particular the horn section. I spent hours and days trying to figure out which interview it was and in the end I managed to persuade the (then) chairman of a Dutch Beatles fanclub to help me out. But nothing turned up then. Like I said, I remember it was an extensive interview, so one would have to listen to all of it. Who knows, one day?

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 18:33 by georgie48.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 9, 2022 00:34

georgie48
CaptainCorella
georgie48

Hi CC. Some years ago I also mentioned that "story". I remember seeing an extensive interview with John Lennon and somewhere "in the middle" he talked about what inspired him listening to SHTMY, in particular the horn section. I spent hours and days trying to figure out which interview it was and in the end I managed to persuade the (then) chairman of a Dutch Beatles fanclub to help me out. But nothing turned up then. Like I said, I remember it was an extensive interview, so one would have to listen to all of it. Who knows, one day?

I always have difficulties with abbreviations what is SHTMY

Date: April 9, 2022 00:37

Something Happened To Me Yesterday

ROCKMAN

Date: April 9, 2022 00:39

georgie48
CaptainCorella
georgie48

So. The "authority" for this claim is that you think you remember an interview in which Lennon brings it up. And, despite the help of someone well versed in Beatles history you've NEVER (so far) been able to verify the claim.

Word of advice. If you have a claim like that to make, then don't simply drop it in a posting - qualified at most by a question mark at the end - make sure you point out how tenuous the claim is.

Fake Memory is interesting. I have a very firm FAKE MEMORY of a BBC radio broadcast of The Beatles playing "Ticket To Ride" on a particular programme. So firm is the fake memory that I enlisted Mark Lewisohn to try and find the origin, and he - in turn - got Kevin Howlett to check the entirety of the BBC's contracts with The Beatles to see if it happened. It didn't.

If it's true, then we can be sure that it will be documented in a future edition of Mark's books.

So, please be more careful with your claims.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2022 01:25

Sounds like a bit of desperation from certain Stones fans to steal some credit from the Beatles who were always a step ahead and more innovative, and blazed trails for all bands that followed.
If anything, they might have been inspired by the Jefferson Airplanes rooftop performance as mentioned above, but even that's a stretch.

Date: April 9, 2022 01:52

The untold truth is that it was Yoko's
love of The Drifters-Up On the Roof
that drove Lennon to push for a roof top concert .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 9, 2022 02:21

Rockman
The untold truth is that it was Yoko's
love of The Drifters-Up On the Roof
that drove Lennon to push for a roof top concert .....

Yoko...push... roof...??

Let's not go there.

Date: April 9, 2022 02:31

Lennon would do anything for her ....
She influenced his life so much ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 9, 2022 02:37

Lennon climbing the ladder
to see Yoko's art work YES
also played played a massive part
in Lennon pushing for rooftop concert .....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 9, 2022 06:51

Rockman
Lennon climbing the ladder
to see Yoko's art work YES
also played played a massive part
in Lennon pushing for rooftop concert .....

If that was true, which is possible, then Lennon would have spent the entire time of the concert looking through a magnifying glass.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 9, 2022 07:12

Yoko pushed Lennon to greater heights ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 9, 2022 10:29

Of course - everything Stones did, Beatles did later... grinning smileycool smiley

Date: April 9, 2022 11:22

Yep Mick got a monkey Hair coat
in 68 ... Lennon had ta upstage
him with a human hair coat in 69 ..... HHHHaaaaaaaa ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 9, 2022 12:48

It was all downhill for the Beatles after I Want to Hold Your Hand.
Long live Yoko.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: April 9, 2022 13:02

Long live Yoko?...she is having a good go , will be 90 next Feb

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home