Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'SHE's SO COLD' - Best Live?
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: April 8, 2022 05:37

I liked Ian McLagan's boogie piano played on the 1981 tour a lot but Mick kept forgetting the words.

Besides Hamption, any other recommended soundboards of this track?

Thx,
Steve

Re: 'SHE's SO COLD' - Best Live?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 8, 2022 06:16

Its crap live. They never got the boogie or even the rhythm right. Stick with the studio version...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2022 06:17

Munichhilton
Its crap live. They never got the boogie or even the rhythm right. Stick with the studio version...

My top ten of all Stones songs, and I don't want to hear it live again.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 8, 2022 06:20

Live - a disaster.

Studio - perfection.

This is no good live version.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2022 06:56

Agree. It's a fun, rubbery song that has never worked live. And with the bass being such a prominent part of the song, it's guaranteed not to work now.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 8, 2022 07:39

24FPS
Agree. It's a fun, rubbery song that has never worked live. And with the bass being such a prominent part of the song, it's guaranteed not to work now.

“Rubbery”…lol. But correct. It’s like Sway I think. Slightly off kilter in the studio. WAY off kilter live. They’ve never completely nailed that one on stage either.

Rod

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 8, 2022 08:50

Austin....2006 I believe.....

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: April 8, 2022 09:01

Posted by: erad ()
Date: April 8, 2022 09:53

The version from Light the Fuse is pretty good actually. Maybe the best live one I've heard, '81 and '82 it was a trainwreck. Too fast, sounded like the band just wanted to get it over and done with.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: April 8, 2022 10:21

The version on the Let's Spend The Night Together movie is outstanding. I really like the KBFH version from Largo too.

Date: April 8, 2022 10:25

erad
The version from Light the Fuse is pretty good actually. Maybe the best live one I've heard, '81 and '82 it was a trainwreck. Too fast, sounded like the band just wanted to get it over and done with.

It was not a trainwreck, but rather a different song with a different groove.

I don't understand why Keith chose not to play the proper intro in standard tuning back then, instead of making the tune another Brown Sugar/JFF.

That sneaky groove of the original is something the Stones never managed to re-create live, unfortunately.

However, the Roskilde 2014-version was pretty good, except for Mick @#$%& up the lyrics in the very first verse smiling smiley

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 8, 2022 10:52

Were those who slag off the 81/82 version there in person? It was incredibly exciting at the time (I was there the first night, and thus I was spared the infamous train wreck) Pure adrenalin. The revved-up punky version went down a storm at Wembley.

On record it underachieves - it's so restrained that it's almost lifeless. Ariel Swartley reviewing Emotional Rescue for Rolling Stone said the music on the record sounded like it came from a deep freeze and 'She's So Cold', no pun intended, is a good example.

I heard it again in Sheffield 2006 and it was dire. The pace was slower but there was no groove. The guitars didn't weave, they clunked off each other discordantly.

82 live rules! smiling smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 8, 2022 10:57

Paul Kersey
The version on the Let's Spend The Night Together movie is outstanding. I really like the KBFH version from Largo too.

Even though it's speeded up even further & edited and all, I really agree. When I got the Hampton broadcast on VHS (!) it was a disappointment in comparision, Ah, those were the days..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 11:15 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 8, 2022 11:31

DandelionPowderman
erad

It was not a trainwreck, but rather a different song with a different groove.

I don't understand why Keith chose not to play the proper intro in standard tuning back then, instead of making the tune another Brown Sugar/JFF.

That sneaky groove of the original is something the Stones never managed to re-create live, unfortunately.

However, the Roskilde 2014-version was pretty good, except for Mick @#$%& up the lyrics in the very first verse smiling smiley

A similar argument can be said of "Shattered" and "Let Me Go" as well. They really pushed the gas-button when decided to perform those tunes live in 1981/82 (probably almost to the stage in where it says 'punk'). In each case I probably like more the funnily sleazy and slow but groovie studio originals. They sound like 'let's see how slow we can play a rocker'. "Shattered" sounds like it almost drags, and like if they pull a bit of gas off, it will fell apart. Each also gives Jagger a great template to shine (like he does in each of them).

But I like the idea that songs are performed differently live. Makes the live shows more original and artistic-like. The 1981/82 tour had an unique musical identity that sets it apart in Stones history (although the punk-inspired 1978 was already pretty close in many ways). But yeah, the over-tempo versions sound a bit one-dimensional and autopilot-like sometimes.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-08 11:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 8, 2022 16:45

I rather enjoyed the version from the 2nd O2 show, 2007.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 8, 2022 16:57

I enjoyed it in Arnheim (at least I assume it was Arnheim)

Date: April 8, 2022 17:19

bakersfield

On record it underachieves - it's so restrained that it's almost lifeless.

Wow...you are in a serious minority.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 8, 2022 17:20

Roskilde 2014 not because I was there but because it verifiably cooked

Date: April 8, 2022 17:23

DandelionPowderman

If you call that one messing up the lyrics you should re-evaluate what it means to mess up on guitar

Date: April 8, 2022 17:23

Nikkei

OK.

Provide your verifiable evidence!

Date: April 8, 2022 17:28

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman

If you call that one messing up the lyrics you should re-evaluate what it means to mess up on guitar

Well, he started with "she's so cold", instead of 'I'm so hot for her', and I loved the look on his face when he noticed it, too smiling smiley

Good version, though.

Date: April 8, 2022 17:30

treaclefingers
Nikkei

OK.

Provide your verifiable evidence!

Who am I, the link man? Here's a link [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 8, 2022 17:33

I always liked '81 Hampton! That was a great boot to get at the time, I still have it, 3x LP!

Date: April 8, 2022 17:37

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
DandelionPowderman

Well, he started with "she's so cold", instead of 'I'm so hot for her', and I loved the look on his face when he noticed it, too smiling smiley

Good version, though.

Actually, we have a guitar messup too. At 1:37 there's an almost-bridge coming too early but to me it's all the more amazing how they keep it on the tracks

Posted by: cwalters ()
Date: April 8, 2022 17:56

jp.M

Totally agree. They nailed that performance.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: April 8, 2022 18:29

cwalters
jp.M

Totally agree. They nailed that performance.

Yes because it's Pierre who made guitars winking smiley

Date: April 8, 2022 18:31

LeonidP
I always liked '81 Hampton! That was a great boot to get at the time, I still have it, 3x LP!

If it's me you're referring to; I was only speaking of "She's So Cold" there

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 8, 2022 18:34

treaclefingers
bakersfield

On record it underachieves - it's so restrained that it's almost lifeless.

Wow...you are in a serious minority.

Well, that's how it was received when it came out,'Could have been truly great' is what Nick Kent said in the NME and I agree with him. I don't dislike it,I'm just saying it's played every tentatively...not exactly the confident balls to the wall approach that make the 81/82 live version so much more exciting..the guitars bubble away quietly but they never let rip. Each to their own smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 8, 2022 19:59

Erik_Snow
LeonidP

If it's me you're referring to; I was only speaking of "She's So Cold" there

Nope, I was just saying where I liked She's So Cold from, and then adding that it is a great bootleg altogether!

Date: April 8, 2022 20:08

Aha, yes it is great, that's true

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home