Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rock critic Greil Marcus on "Gimme Shelter"
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: April 5, 2022 20:37

Interesting take on "Gimme Shelter" from rock critic Greil Marcus. "The end of the 1960s for me...was when the Rolling Stones played 'Gimme Shelter'."

How Rock & Roll Provoked The 1960s To Begin & To End

Re: Rock critic Greil Marcus on "Gimme Shelter"
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 5, 2022 21:00

Indeed, interesting look at that period combined with the release of Let It Bleed. As far as The Rolling Stones were concerned, off course they has said goodbye to the sixties, the decade that was created by Brian Jones (as far as the input of the band). Sadly he almost destroyed his creation.
Mick Taylor was the all important fresh blood the band needed. Also the audience had changed from screaming and sometimes fighting youngsters (I was one winking smiley) into real listeners. And the Stones gave them something to listen to and even think about as Marcus pointed out nicely.
Personally I didn't feel anything frightening in those days, not knowing that Vietnam was on the way. There was a lot to discover in the world, beautiful nature, other cultures (!). Everything was there in abundance for us spoiled Western kids. Me, the world showed that there was a lot wrong, especially in all those poor countries. But what could a poor boy do, except to listen to a rock 'n' roll band. Those poor people needed "Shelter", not Keith for that matter. Instead they were "given" Vietnam and the likes.
Strange times indeed.
confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 18:11

Gimme Shelter could be the song that represents 2022.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 6, 2022 18:52

Rocknroll1969
Gimme Shelter could be the song that represents 2022.

Yeah, unfortunately too relevant again.

- Doxa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home