Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Midnight Rambler: do you prefer live or studio?
Posted by: KeefFan2003 ()
Date: April 5, 2022 21:53

Live. No question. They could play rambler as the only song every night and I'd pay to go as long as it's got the power it has had every time I heard it live.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2022 21:57

Love the studio version, love all Mick Taylor versions (including 2012-14), and love most other latter era versions though most of the time Ronnie's brash guitar playing is a chaotic cacophony that doesn't really work.
And still not too sure of the recent versions without Charlie...something sounds off about it all, but I guess that could be said about all the recently played tunes without Charlie. He's missed hugely in more ways than one.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: April 5, 2022 21:58

Erik_Snow
Like dcba wrote, I also love the 1975 version (apart from the one in the "video-show". They're insane. But if I had to pick just one version, it would stilll be 1st show in Brussels 1973.

Agreed although I really like the 'video show' version.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:08

Midnight Rambler alone is worth to go to a Stones Show. My alltime live favorite. It makes me dance and scream everytime, they play it..

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:09

Each has its own magic.

Isn't there editing trickery in the studio cut during the first transition going from the main song into the middle "don't do that" section? Sounds like a blend in editing--especially when you focus on Charlie.

For that, I give the point to the live version when they have to execute all the changes without any help.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 5, 2022 22:58

VoodooLounge13
I personally just find this song to be sooooooooo overrated.

I should have another listen mate!

'Beast of Burden among their worst songs? Are you serious? Please name your favourites, I'm fascinated smiling smiley)

I like the '71 version (roundhouse?) that starts with a jam btw.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: April 5, 2022 23:15

"opéra blues" as Keith said.
Everytime my favorite song.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 5, 2022 23:26

VoodooLounge13
For me it took a really long time and lots of live versions to get it. It's not really about the songwriting with this one, it's about the mood it creates and the journey it takes you on.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 5, 2022 23:35

JMARCOU
"opéra blues" as Keith said.
Everytime my favorite song.

Yeah, that's the song they always can do no wrong. In my book the development of the song from tour to tour until 1973 it's beyond anything - the dudes were creative and into something novel everytime - but still the versions since then are spectacular, although they lost that creative spark to invent new readings and dimensions. A sure show highlight everytime.

That said, when I finally got to hear it live (it wasn't any kind of war horse before 2012), they managed to screw it up (El Ejido 2007). Still it was great to hear it, no matter the @#$%& ups. And then, a few years later how wonderful it was to hear it in its whole glory (with no @#$%& ups) with Taylor in Hyde Park, 2013.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-05 23:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 6, 2022 00:23

Justin
Each has its own magic.

Isn't there editing trickery in the studio cut during the first transition going from the main song into the middle "don't do that" section? Sounds like a blend in editing--especially when you focus on Charlie.

For that, I give the point to the live version when they have to execute all the changes without any help.

haha you make it sound like a chore. don't know if Steve really found a way into it but the tempo changes are almost ceremonial especially the last one with Keith in the role of grandmaster tempo

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 6, 2022 00:27

Live (with Charlie). Any time.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 6, 2022 02:20

Nikkei
Justin
Each has its own magic.

haha you make it sound like a chore. don't know if Steve really found a way into it but the tempo changes are almost ceremonial especially the last one with Keith in the role of grandmaster tempo

??

My point was that in the original track the switch to this section appears to be spliced together. Listen closely to the hi-hat. At 2:25 there appears to be two different hi-hat patterns crashing into one another for a split second before the new pattern finally starts off the section.

[www.youtube.com]

It's not a chore on stage--they obviously have perfected it. Keith has always initiated the changes, we know this. On this last tour tho, Steve made the call for the final change instead of Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-06 02:21 by Justin.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 6, 2022 02:39

I do not rank between studio and live versions.

Among live versions, two of them stand out for me, and I don't want to rank between those either:
- the LIVER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE version,
- the version from Brussels, 1st show, 1973, included in my NASTY SONGS vinyl boot.

Even if it was great to experience it in Hyde Park 2013 with Mick Taylor back in the band, I - probably rather controversially - feel that "Midnight Rambler" live belongs to tours before, say, 1978. I fully understand that fans, who had or have not experienced it live before, passionately need to have it in setlists. Myself, I personally would have preferred it dropped, because for to me it belongs so much to another phase in their career. When I hear "Midnight Rambler on live albums from before 1978, I still love or at least do like to listen to it, but not so much on later albums.

Date: April 6, 2022 02:45

Justin
Nikkei
Justin
Each has its own magic.

??

My point was that in the original track the switch to this section appears to be spliced together. Listen closely to the hi-hat. At 2:25 there appears to be two different hi-hat patterns crashing into one another for a split second before the new pattern finally starts off the section.

[www.youtube.com]

It's not a chore on stage--they obviously have perfected it. Keith has always initiated the changes, we know this. On this last tour tho, Steve made the call for the final change instead of Keith.

Yes in that regard I do believe you're on to something there

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 6, 2022 02:47

Ya Yas is best. Studio not far behind.

Have seen some great live performances through the years.

Bored with it live now - ditto Miss You, Tumbling Dice, IORR, YCAGWYW, and Sympathy.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 6, 2022 04:00

Midnight Rambler is a song that I think works every time, including the studio version. Thats hard to find IMO.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2022 07:10

Live.

One of the few songs they've been able to improve upon the album version of.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 6, 2022 07:32

I love both studio and live, but if forced to choose one, I’d say live. I have to pick Ya-Ya’s because of the impact it had on me when I first heard it as a young teen. One of the most intriguing and powerful songs I’d ever heard. Man, the 70s were awesome musically!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 6, 2022 15:04

I could easily pick -72 July 26 MSG or Bruxelles -73 but Im gonna go with the studio, my initial crush with this masterpiece. Knowing Brian is present despite of Keith doing ”Brians part” from Two Trains (sort of) on the 12-string Rickenbacker, adds to the mystique.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-06 15:46 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 15:32

Redhotcarpet
I could easily pick -72 July 26 MSG or Bruxelles -73 but Im gonna go with the studio, my initial crush with this masterpiece. Kniwing Brian is present despite of Keith doing ”Brians part” from Two Trains (sort of) on the 12-string Rickenbacker.
Maybe there was a version with Brian on guitar but it was replaced

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 15:36

Live, any version with Mick Taylor.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 6, 2022 15:43

powerage78
Live, any version with Mick Taylor.

Of course.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: April 6, 2022 15:47

Love the song as recorded and live. It’s my favorite song in their recent set lists. I hope it remains in Sixty.

Date: April 6, 2022 16:02

I've long regarded the MSG 2002 rendition as a reference point for the modern versions. It's still great to look at

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 16:11

StonedRambler
VoodooLounge13
For me it took a really long time and lots of live versions to get it. It's not really about the songwriting with this one, it's about the mood it creates and the journey it takes you on.

Yeah I get all of that, but it doesn't do it for me. I suppose I get a similar feeling when they play Sympathy, though they only sing like half of the original lyrics. Nothing beats that live Stadium version with Jagger prancing around in the trenchcoat.

Date: April 6, 2022 16:21

bakersfield
VoodooLounge13

I should have another listen mate!

'Beast of Burden among their worst songs? Are you serious? Please name your favourites, I'm fascinated smiling smiley)

I like the '71 version (roundhouse?) that starts with a jam btw.

My Top 3 all-time favorite Stones songs are a lock:

Ruby Tuesday
The Last Time
Almost Hear You Sigh

Thereafter, it all depends on my mood, but my remaining favorites are:

Winter
Baby Break It Down
Thru & Thru
Paint It, Black
Jumpin Jack Flash
Out Of Time
Don't Stop
One More Shot
Hand of Fate
Let Me Go
Hang Fire
Too Tight
Blue Turns To Grey
Backstreet Girl
Sitting On A Fence
Jump On Top Of Me
Saint Of Me
Slipping Away
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Silver Train
Before They Make You Run
Memory Motel
Wild Horses
Gimme Shelter
Dead Flowers
One Hit
Driving Too Fast
Brown Sugar
Going To A Go-Go
Time Is On My Side
Take It Or Leave It
Try A Little Harder
Don't Wanna Go Home
Tell Me
Play With Fire
As Tears Go By
I Am Waiting
How Can I Stop
Criss Cross
Under My Thumb

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 6, 2022 17:18

I prefer both

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 6, 2022 21:10

I love both, in the studio and live. MR live is of course a killer, always red-hot and crushing, but the original LIB version still retains its cool, dark vibe that fascinates me after listening to numerous live renditions.

MR is to the Stones what Dazed And Confused is to Zep — both are pivotal to their respective live performances. A warhorse I have never been tired of — and perhaps never will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-07 15:25 by RisingStone.

Date: April 6, 2022 22:53

Yes Dazed & Confused is another one that I can't stand. I don't like a lot of Zep's loooooooooooooooong drawn out songs.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2022 07:01

VoodooLounge13
NICOS
VoodooLounge13
I can't stand either.

That's rare ;o)

Yes, I know. I'm an anomaly. Don't like Rambler. And think Shattered, Angie, and Beast of Burden are all amongst their worst songs. Not as bad as MAWGJ, but not far off.

Wow.

That's really something. Beast Of Burden, aside from its radio play, is outright brilliant.

Shattered is exceptional.

And as much as I don't like Angie, it's a killer tune.

AND you don't like Midnight Rambler?

Well, ok. But I think you're missing something elemental in regard to the Stones.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home