Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Live Aid 85
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 4, 2022 19:17

treaclefingers
Stoneage
Sure, whatever. I just feel Live Aid, and not performing for seven years in the eighties, was a missed opportunity for them.
I "discovered" them in 1981 so their leave for most part of the eighties was a bit aggravating to me.

I started the journey a year earlier. I think the best way to look at it is because it was such and important, watched event, can you imagine the fallout from a less than spectacular performance?

Could have been catastrophic. As bad as the Dylan, Richards, Wood performance was we could at least slag it off as 'well, they're not actually a band' or whatever.

I think they dodged a bullet on that one, not that Mick was going to let it happen in any case.
Disagree , to me as the Stones are bigger than any one off performance and they have withstood worst gigs in there history .

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 4, 2022 20:25

timmyj3
My opinion is that U2 stole the show. They planted their flag as one of the all time great bands. I think the Stones could have been a tour de force if they would have been on stage as the Stones.

I also heard that that jackoff Geldof blew off The Kinks who were interested in perfroming. Could be BS but have read it a few different time.

I was 18 back then and watched the whole show from start to finish. While there's no doubt that U2 performed very well and greatly raised their profile, the consensus is that it was Queen who stole the show with their well rehearsed set.

The event was certainly not without its technical hitches - the Who were cut off mid set and footage of their complete set only resurfaced about 3 years ago.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 4, 2022 22:31

TheGreek
treaclefingers
Stoneage
Sure, whatever. I just feel Live Aid, and not performing for seven years in the eighties, was a missed opportunity for them.
I "discovered" them in 1981 so their leave for most part of the eighties was a bit aggravating to me.

I started the journey a year earlier. I think the best way to look at it is because it was such and important, watched event, can you imagine the fallout from a less than spectacular performance?

Could have been catastrophic. As bad as the Dylan, Richards, Wood performance was we could at least slag it off as 'well, they're not actually a band' or whatever.

I think they dodged a bullet on that one, not that Mick was going to let it happen in any case.
Disagree , to me as the Stones are bigger than any one off performance and they have withstood worst gigs in there history .

It's hard for me to imagine the Stones playing Live Aid. The 81-82 iteration would have been out of place there. The 89-90 Stones would have fit in, but didn't exist yet. They would have had to re-invent themselves on the spot. Not saying it couldn't have been done, it's just hard to imagine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-04 22:32 by ryanpow.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2022 22:49

I doubt that ALL the Stones were there at Live Aid in Philadelphia. People like to say they were ALL there when it's only 3/5ths of the band with Ronnie, Mick and Keith. Just like they sell the Muddy Waters DVD as being WITH the Rolling Stones and Bill and Charlie were nowhere to be found, forty percent of the group.

Yes, Live Aid was great. I remember Prince doing a bit, maybe pre-filmed(?) that didn't make it to the DVD set. If you want a little more flavor, go on YouTube, or get the DVD set, of Live 8 from 2005. Madonna's set is electric, and Lisa Fischer sings backup.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 5, 2022 04:30

TheGreek
treaclefingers
Stoneage

Well except and for the fact that they were in a very bad place at that point, Charlie on smack and WWIII just around the corner. IF they had done the gig and it had blown up, it's not that they weren't big enough to get past it, (of course they would) but whether they'd be even willing to.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 5, 2022 11:11

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-05 13:04 by Stoneage.

Date: April 5, 2022 13:15

I think no matter what issues the Stones had/ have once that red light pops on and it's showtime it's like instinctive and intuitive, not saying auto pilot . These guys are the pros pro as they have been through hell and back from all the days back from Brian Jones and Mick Taylor . They would have blown away Philly or Wembley and been the toast of the town . This would have been an easy gig for them , no matter what set list they used . I will go out on a limb and say they could have pulled this off probably with little practice as well . All the time spent making Undercover to Dirty Work , I bet they had plenty in the proverbial tank to craft a performance worthy of a worldwide telecast .

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: April 5, 2022 14:42

grzegorz67

The event was certainly not without its technical hitches - the Who were cut off mid set and footage of their complete set only resurfaced about 3 years ago.

I have not seen or heard the full set, is it available?

Date: April 5, 2022 15:50

Valeswood
grzegorz67

The BBC1 The One Show showed it a week or 2 before the Who played the new Wembley in 2019. It might have been a private video rather than BBC footage. But definitely their complete set from 1985, a 1 off show because the band were officially split up at the time. Kenney Jones on drums.

Date: April 5, 2022 18:16

Hope someone recorded it!

Date: April 6, 2022 01:41

TheGreek
I think no matter what issues the Stones had/ have once that red light pops on and it's showtime it's like instinctive and intuitive, not saying auto pilot . These guys are the pros pro as they have been through hell and back from all the days back from Brian Jones and Mick Taylor . They would have blown away Philly or Wembley and been the toast of the town . This would have been an easy gig for them , no matter what set list they used . I will go out on a limb and say they could have pulled this off probably with little practice as well . All the time spent making Undercover to Dirty Work , I bet they had plenty in the proverbial tank to craft a performance worthy of a worldwide telecast .

I like your sense of enthusiasm and dedication but will point out that Mick had just put out She's The Boss, so tensions were high, and a few months later we get Dirty Work, so if you were going to pick the absolute nadir of their career, that was it. Oh, and did we mention Charlie was on smack.

Still anything is possible, and I'm rather glad we'll never know!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 6, 2022 02:50

Love watching the Live Aid DVDs - the Dylan set is awful - for the clothes and hairstyles of the day.

Yeah, I was a proud mullet wearer......

Date: April 6, 2022 02:51

Elmo Lewis
Love watching the Live Aid DVDs - the Dylan set is awful - for the clothes and hairstyles of the day.

Yeah, I was a proud mullet wearer......

The Philly finale had nothing on the London one.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2022 07:08

TheGreek

You feel and think what you do - but they thought completely otherwise. That's life. They were in no position to play, period. No matter what you think, they were not able.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 6, 2022 07:45

I was there in Philly. It was a really really hot day. By the end of the day, I can’t tell you how many people were horribly sunburned. But it was a great day of music. The lines for the restrooms were super long during Black Sabbath’s set.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 08:20

I remember recording the concert on a few VHS tapes. In my town near Vancouver we got MTV on cable so that's what I recorded. Biggest thing I hated until seeing on Youtube was cutting to commercial during Queen's performance (and others) and cutting to the idiot VJ's singing and dancing along instead of sticking to the bands.
I remember reading afterwards that after LiveAid, many of Queen's albums re-entered the British charts. Definitely boosted their career. Even right now, during Vancouver Canucks hockey games, they play the Day-o singalong that Freddie got the crowd doing.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: April 6, 2022 09:41

Valeswood

This is the missing song

[www.youtube.com]

17 mai 2019 Never seen before performance of The Who at Live Aid in Wembley Stadium, London on the 13th July, 1985. A massive technical failure famously led to a breakdown in the TV transmission just as the band was opening their set with "My Generation". Component parts of the performance were discovered amongst the archived b-roll film rushes and edited together by the Trust's production team. The audio was sourced from the cameras' microphones.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 6, 2022 15:24

This is awesome ! Thanks

Didn't Springsteen decline an invitation due to him thinking the show wasn't worth the effort?

Re The Stones...think they were past giving a powerful show like Queen...sure it would have been entertaining and bloody good (like the Jagger show) but they were past blowing neutral crowds away by then - that's if they were together then...who knows.

Date: April 6, 2022 18:14

AntoineParis
Valeswood

This is the missing song

[www.youtube.com]

17 mai 2019 Never seen before performance of The Who at Live Aid in Wembley Stadium, London on the 13th July, 1985. A massive technical failure famously led to a breakdown in the TV transmission just as the band was opening their set with "My Generation". Component parts of the performance were discovered amongst the archived b-roll film rushes and edited together by the Trust's production team. The audio was sourced from the cameras' microphones.

Most of My Generation was missing, so this is great. All of Pinball Wizard is missing and I think the cameras cut back in at the beginning of Love, Reign O'er Me.

Date: April 6, 2022 20:45

Valeswood
AntoineParis
Valeswood

This is the missing song

[www.youtube.com]

Most of My Generation was missing, so this is great. All of Pinball Wizard is missing and I think the cameras cut back in at the beginning of Love, Reign O'er Me.

Well done for finding that AntoineParis. I was watching live on BBC1 at the time, aged 18 and well remember that balls up and what a performance we all missed, apart from those lucky enough to be there.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 7, 2022 07:13

TheGreek
treaclefingers
Stoneage

What do you think of 12-12-12?

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: April 7, 2022 13:09

Valeswood
grzegorz67

Full set - [we.tl]

My Generation (part SB, part audience)
Pinball Wizard (audience)
Love, Reign O'er Me
WGFA

Date: April 7, 2022 13:16

GasLightStreet
TheGreek
treaclefingers
Stoneage

What do you think of 12-12-12?
I went to the Brooklyn show at the then new Barclay's center , and the following week at the Prudential Center for the PPV show . The one and only gripe I have for 12/12/12 was that it was a quickie couple of tunes and then it was done . I know it was a charity event with multi bands/ artist . The thing that most impressed was the comeback of Keith's playing after the Bigger Bang Tour . So it was like an Epiphany seeing the Stones live again after 6 long years without them . These shows were so good that we went to the Vegas show at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and also to Philly at the Wells Fargo Center . One of the highlights of these shows with the exception of Barclay's Center was Mick Taylor . Mark me down as Very Impressed and also I loved the Tongue stage design which I thought was really cool . ( P.S. Thank You Buddy and you mean the world to me ! )

Posted by: django ()
Date: April 7, 2022 13:33

Here is my little Live Aid story. It was the time when there was very few live music on German TV. We had the Rockpalast twice a year (I hoped for years that the Stones would play there) and that was it. And MTV of course. So we were very enthusiastic when the event was announced. I watched the whole show together with a friend. First we met at his flat for breakfast and later, during the Queen performance, we switched to my apartment. We both felt Queen were pretty lame and so we could miss the gig. To be honest, we thought Queen was sh*t. However, later I had to revise my opinion. The performance was indeed sensational. When we got to my place, it must have been late in the afternoon, the first bottles of beer were opened and it became a great evening. As a die-hard Stones fan, I almost freaked out when "the transcendent Bob Dylan” (quote Jack Nicholson) announced Keith and Ronnie. Later I had to realize that it was quite a terrible performance. My favourites that day were The Style Council, Elvis Costello, Sade, U2, David Bowie, Tom Petty, The Pretenders, Neil Young, CSN+Y and Jagger.
A friend's father kindly recorded everything on VHS tape and we put together a seven hour "Best Off" from it. We celebrated it with some buddies at a pretty good party in the ”Partykeller” (named “Taubenschlag”) in my parents’ house, who were on vacation (see invitation below). Good old days! I still have an sealed original Live Aid t-shirt but I doubt I would fit in it.

Date: April 8, 2022 06:42

jigsaw69
Remember...the artists who got the most praise at Live Aid and are best remembered to this day for their performances etc, were the ones who decided to play their greatest hits and not their new single or album track.

You can just say 'Adam Ant' if you really want to, haha.

Date: April 9, 2022 00:11

Bol
Valeswood
grzegorz67

Full set - [we.tl]

Love, Reign O'er Me
WGFA

Thanks very much for this Bol. I have wanted a recording of the full set for a long time.

You don't have the BRIT Awards show from 1988 do you? The last Who performance with Kenney Jones.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 9, 2022 11:04

Revolution
Day Tripper
While My Guitar with Clapton appearing
Get Back
All You Need is Love

Interesting thoughts...but you bet McCartney would never have a setlist played in which among 5 is only 1 Macca number (Get Back)....

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: April 12, 2022 13:50

Valeswood
Bol
Valeswood
grzegorz67

Full set - [we.tl]

Love, Reign O'er Me
WGFA

Thanks very much for this Bol. I have wanted a recording of the full set for a long time.

You don't have the BRIT Awards show from 1988 do you? The last Who performance with Kenney Jones.

Sorry, I don't have a recording of the Brit Awards show to share.

Date: April 12, 2022 14:16

On the morning of the Live Aid gig, I almost bumped into Bob Geldof and knocked him over! He lived in the next street to me at the time and as I rounded a corner he appeared in the opposite direction. I wished him good luck for the afternoon to which he mumbled a 'thanks, man' and we continued on our separate ways....

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: April 12, 2022 15:23

GasLightStreet
jigsaw69
I thought Live Aid was brilliant !!

Highlights for me were Queen, U2, Bowie, Cars, Simple Minds, with a notable mention for Clapton, Dire Straits and Status Quo

Jagger was hamming it up and trying his best to be a solo artist. Looking back it wasn't that great was it.

Can u imagine if The Stones had declared peace, got their chops together, properly rehearsed and put in a historic performance of say 5 of their classics - long before we called them War Horses etc.

What 5 do u think they would have picked back 1985.....I'll guess.....

Start Me Up
Miss You
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Satisfaction

One final thought....if John Lennon had lived, do you think The Beatles would have reformed for Live Aid....I think they would have....and what would their 5 song set list have been....

Revolution
Day Tripper
While My Guitar with Clapton appearing
Get Back
All You Need is Love

Remember...the artists who got the most praise at Live Aid and are best remembered to this day for their performances etc, were the ones who decided to play their greatest hits and not their new single or album track.

U2 is an exception to that, not the praise part but the new : they played a recent single (Sunday Bloody Sunday) and new album track (Bad) at the time from their most recent album THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE.

David Bowie played Modern Love.

The London show was, at least to my eyes and ears, way the better of the two.

U2 were meant to play 3 songs. Sunday, Bad and Pride. Bad over-ran due to Bono going into the crowd etc, so they could only do 2 songs due to time limitations. Rest of the band were raging at Bono when they came off stage as they thought he had blown their chance of playing their biggest hit to date. It was many many hours later when Edge, Larry & Adam realised that Bono's Bad antics and ad-libbing were one of the highlights of the day and almost stole the show. Their performance of Bad probably captured millions of new fans, catapulted U2 over into a whole new crossover market world, and set them up for their Joshua Tree release in '86. Hope the link plays....

[www.bing.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home