Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Airbnbs - Staying in them the vs hotels
Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: April 1, 2022 13:12

I'm planning on going to Europe & the UK for the first time to see the Stones. I have booked hotels, but got to thinking about staying at an Airbnb instead of hotels. They are cheaper. I haven't heard anything on Airbnbs on IORR & want to get your opinion/experiences with Airbnbs. It seems like most fans book hotels. Thank you!

Re: Airbnbs - Staying in them the vs hotels
Date: April 1, 2022 13:15

I booked Airbandb in Amsterdam in 2017. Cheap, close to the gig - worked nicely.

Date: April 1, 2022 13:18

DandelionPowderman
I booked Airbandb in Amsterdam in 2017. Cheap, close to the gig - worked nicely.

Thank you. Do you live in Europe?

Date: April 1, 2022 13:51

Yep.

Date: April 1, 2022 15:25

Sockers56
I'm planning on going to Europe & the UK for the first time to see the Stones. I have booked hotels, but got to thinking about staying at an Airbnb instead of hotels. They are cheaper. I haven't heard anything on Airbnbs on IORR & want to get your opinion/experiences with Airbnbs. It seems like most fans book hotels. Thank you!

Very much to the dismay of the local authorities and people living in Amsterdam. Too many tourists already. Always travelling strangers in any floor of the houses.

Stones fans are welcome though, as far as I'm concerned. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-01 15:38 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 1, 2022 17:33

We rented an Airbnb in the center of Dublin a few years ago (I’m from the US). It was an apartment on a relatively quiet street and had a secure entrance. It worked perfectly for us and friends from London. But I always read the reviews carefully and dialogue with the host and, if possible, see if the host is on social media. Of course, there is always the possibility of getting ripped off, but our experience was very good.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 1, 2022 18:31

I prefer Airbnb if I am staying multiple nights. Cleaning fees spread over 3 or 4 days makes sense. I always do Airbnb's in London and have one booked for a few days by Hyde Park for each show. Had a really nice flat in Prague for last Europe tour. Also have one booked for Bruges when I am there for the Cactus Festival. Benefits of Airbnb are kitchen, washing machine and more space when on a longer trip. Brussels is one day so doing a hotel walking distance from stadium.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 1, 2022 20:54

I think the secret of AIRBNBs is to simply read the description thoroughly and if there are obvious uncertainties, then message the host and get your questions answered BEFORE making the booking. I have never had a bad AIRBNB experience yet .....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: April 1, 2022 23:32

I did an AirBnB for the recent Stones Marseilles show, everything was fine, much more fun than a boring and expensive hotel!

Date: April 2, 2022 03:42

Any particular website do any of you use to Find AirBnBs in Europe & the UK?

Date: April 2, 2022 04:03

Sockers56
Any particular website do any of you use to Find AirBnBs in Europe & the UK?

airbnb.com

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2022 04:56

Get yaself a cowboy tent
with a solar powered air-con ...... cheaper

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 2, 2022 04:58

I also travelled from South America to the UK for the first time to see the Stones in 2018 and booked AirBnBs in Coventry, Manchester and Edinburgh all great expieriences and results.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-02 04:59 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 2, 2022 07:22

spend a night in a coffin. for real.

Greater London, England, United Kingdom

[www.airbnb.com]

Date: April 2, 2022 15:43

DeanGoodman
spend a night in a coffin. for real.

Greater London, England, United Kingdom

[www.airbnb.com]

"DG" = Dracula Goodman.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: April 2, 2022 16:20

I've been a member of HomeExchange for a couple of years now. Personnally, I won't travel using any other way anymore. I found an apartment in Paris for two nights (and for free) for the Stones' show of July 23rd.

Daniel

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 3, 2022 06:20

TheflyingDutchman
Sockers56

Very much to the dismay of the local authorities and people living in Amsterdam. Too many tourists already.

I recent concern in some US cities. It supposedly destroys neighbourhoods and upsets the tax base.

Which I find laughable. Especially the tax part.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: April 3, 2022 07:41

Have stayed in quite a few airbnbs in the U.S. in the past, no more tho, we're done with them.

Many/most add on ridiculously high cleaning fees on top of telling you you have to clean the place before you leave, and the additional rules can get strange as well, the pendulum has swung as we've found hotels end up cheaper with fewer rules, and way easier to deal with overall if issues arise.

My experience only, others obviously love them.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 3, 2022 08:57

snoopy2
Have stayed in quite a few airbnbs in the U.S. in the past, no more tho, we're done with them.

Many/most add on ridiculously high cleaning fees on top of telling you you have to clean the place before you leave, and the additional rules can get strange as well, the pendulum has swung as we've found hotels end up cheaper with fewer rules, and way easier to deal with overall if issues arise.

Cleaning fees are indeed ridiculous, though I've never had anyone tell me to clean the place before I leave eye popping smiley (which I wouldn't do, that's insane). I still find them much cheaper than hotels, though there's less choice these days. It probably depends on the area.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 3, 2022 11:41

I prefer to stay at hotels. They are regulated by the authorities, you may have breakfast in the morning, and there might even be a restaurant on the premises.

AirBnB and other apartment rental services are nice for the end user, but they are killing local city culture. Just take a walk in any tourist place like Manarola in Cinque Terre, or Barcelona, and take a look at the people living in the apartments. They are not locals, they are tourists from Asia, Europe, USA, wherever, moving in and out every 2-3 days, and locals have left because housing is way too expensive. Check the door bells, they have names of rental companies. Local culture is dead and all you see around you is rental tourists. Money rules.

Bjornulf

Date: April 3, 2022 11:44

Aquamarine
snoopy2

Cleaning fees are indeed ridiculous, though I've never had anyone tell me to clean the place before I leave eye popping smiley (which I wouldn't do, that's insane). I still find them much cheaper than hotels, though there's less choice these days. It probably depends on the area.

I plan on doing some of both on the upcoming tour. If I am staying 3 days or more its usually an airbnb with a kitchen, washer and fast internet to upload recordings. A $40 cleaning fee is $10or $13 a day. That's not terrible. Also more people can stay together. Not usually finding hotels with 3 rooms/beds unless booking multiple rooms.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: April 3, 2022 13:10

I am with BV here.
AirBnB was a nice idea at the beginning but has become an evil monster with devastating effects for the neighbourhoods.
So a No-Go for me.

Date: April 3, 2022 13:51

Amsterdam, rules etc:

[www.airbnb.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-03 14:38 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 3, 2022 19:05

Papo
I am with BV here.
AirBnB was a nice idea at the beginning but has become an evil monster with devastating effects for the neighbourhoods.
So a No-Go for me.

thumbs up

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 3, 2022 21:34

Get an extension for your browser called Staysavr. It allows you to see the host's contact details - phone, email and usually their own website - so you can contact them directly, avoiding VRBO's outrageous fees which can double the cost of the rental. If a particular listing doesn't show that, if the host's full name is listed, you can usually find them on social media.

But if you go outside the platform, remember you lose payment protection, so only do it if they have a lot of reviews and have been there for awhile.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 5, 2022 05:24

bv
I prefer to stay at hotels. They are regulated by the authorities, you may have breakfast in the morning, and there might even be a restaurant on the premises.

AirBnB and other apartment rental services are nice for the end user, but they are killing local city culture. Just take a walk in any tourist place like Manarola in Cinque Terre, or Barcelona, and take a look at the people living in the apartments. They are not locals, they are tourists from Asia, Europe, USA, wherever, moving in and out every 2-3 days, and locals have left because housing is way too expensive. Check the door bells, they have names of rental companies. Local culture is dead and all you see around you is rental tourists. Money rules.

My thoughts exactly. AirBnB take rental property out of the rental market for a quick buck and exacerbate the housing shortage leading to more homelessness. People need to start thinking of the consequences of their accommodation choices.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 5, 2022 10:19

Choosing to stay in a private apartment can just be a matter of practicality, especially for a group or family. To have every meal, every drink or cup of coffee, in a restaurant or bar can be very expensive. Additionally, right now there is a high risk of Covid in enclosed places, and you are safer in a private space.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 6, 2022 12:58

bv

I agree 100% for the reasons that BV cites. If you kill local culture, all you have left is a tourist trap which has become a parody of its past self.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 7, 2022 15:12

Lots of negative effects on the local population, their living quality, the environment e.g. in Amsterdam.

See here [www.theguardian.com] The Guardian on subject matter on Thu 6 Oct 2016.

Sito Veracruz lives in the centre of Amsterdam. Some years ago, he enthusiastically rented out a room on Airbnb. “At first I thought it was a great idea,” he recalls. “But I now realise there are side-effects that we didn’t foresee. Airbnb can be a threat for cities.”

Veracruz, an urban planner, witnesses daily how the large number of apartments rented out on Airbnb and other short-stay rental websites are bringing more and more tourists to the central areas of Amsterdam. He says this has a negative effect on life in these neighbourhoods – and he’s not only talking about the nuisance that noisy, partying tourists can create for the local residents.

“I think it’s obvious that Airbnb contributes to gentrification,” Veracruz says. “It drives up real estate prices that are already searing in Amsterdam. Neighbourhood business that create ties between residents are replaced by businesses that only focus on tourists. Bike rental companies replace local grocery shops. And apartments that are continuously rented out to tourists are lost to people who want to actually live here.”

Fortunately local Amsterdam government and administration have since passed strict regulations for airbnb, for the better of the city and her people.

Better stick with hotels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-07 19:22 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 4, 2022 17:29

In US I like motels.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home