Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: New Mick Jagger Song "Strange Game" out April 1
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2022 05:10

Funny how his voice cracks at about 2:30 when he says "a Million To One".

They obviously liked that and left it in.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 2, 2022 05:11

Doxa
Haha, "All The Rage"... I don't know what Mick was thinking with that one, but let's say, if there is any Stones track that is almost unlistenable due to vocals, that's pretty close... Singing out of tune and with some sort of thin drunk parody voice... If that was not a some sort of joke, I question Mick's artistic judgment...

But dammit, listening those TY bonus tracks with recent vocals, they are incredibly strong. Just listened "It's A Lie" and I can't believe how 'perfect' and fresh Mick sounds with that unique tone of his. Works for me and I feel like the young kid listening once a brandnew TATTOO YOU and being totally stunned by that odd and distinctive voice I never heard anything like before.

- Doxa

It's A Lie is excellent.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 2, 2022 06:06

Saw the first two episodes of the show tonight after listening to the song. It’s a great TV theme song, and I like it ok as a song, too. It fits the show perfectly.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 2, 2022 06:33

Mick's voice sounds really good on this track.

Great track for a TV show or movie.

It's a different type of song, not really R&R or blues which is nice change.

Well done Sir!

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 2, 2022 08:53

Mick is overdoing it, to my taste

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2022 09:35

.... maybe youd be better off with Macca's choir boy vocals ...HHHHaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 2, 2022 10:27

I think one has to accept that between tours the group is disbanded. Instead they can concentrate fully on their solo work. Like painting, doing movie scores, sunbathing or whatever.
That has been their main artistical direction for decades now. Good for them I guess. It is called personal development.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-02 10:38 by Stoneage.

Date: April 2, 2022 10:30

It is called personal development.

Yep!! ... that's it ....
I'm workin' on it all da time .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 2, 2022 12:15

Great track, would love an album of songs like this.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 2, 2022 12:56

Rockman
Play six times before you listen ........

True I've heard it twice and honestly can't say anything yet

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 2, 2022 15:00

WorriedAboutYou
Great track, would love an album of songs like this.

His former fiancee did it in 1996 with some Brecht/Weill classics

I'd love to see Mick moving in that direction

That would be a duet I would not complain about! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Listened many more times to the song, it is a good one, a very nice uturn from the eazy sleaze muscolar stuff. though I agree with whom say the vocals are a bit too forced and the lirycs far from the genious wit mick is capable of, i like it
production wise it is very close to the B&L tracks, imo

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: April 2, 2022 15:50

Are there any informations about a physical release?

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: April 2, 2022 16:11

Good tune!Keep it comin...

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: April 2, 2022 16:29

Doxa
There was a timme when I thought that Mick hides the weaknesses of his voice with his theatrics (and nasal, too), but as you pointed out, especially from BLUE & LONESOME on, he has shown that he can sing differently ('naturally' if you like) and strongly without those 'tricks'. Now I think using that voice is purely an artistic choice: he tuned his instrument to get a certain effect. Mick might not be a very good actor, but the way he acts with his voice is pretty phenomenal.

But the last verse, oh man, he pushes his voice to limit, and especially the broken word "one", is totally unhearable before. I've been studying this dude's way of singing for ages, and that totally came out of blue.

Let's say I am pretty impressed by the results.

- Doxa

That verse jumped out at me too. It is a bit different for Mick, and I love it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 2, 2022 18:46

Rockman
.... maybe youd be better off with Macca's choir boy vocals ...HHHHaaaa

smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 2, 2022 18:58

Doxa
StonedRambler
Big Al
Its ‘okay’ It is what it is. Knowing it’s a theme for a television show, I can’t view it as any more than that.

I’m curious as to whether I’m alone with this: is anyone else here unsure about Jagger’s present-day recording-vocals? He sounds so very effected; almost unnatural. It’s as if he’s ‘putting on’ a voice.
Yes, it's a style of him that was very present in the early 2010s (on the Exile and SG Bonus tracks for example) but from Blue and Lonesome on he sung more natural and laid back again. Usually prefer the more natural, laid back style but on this particular track I think it's quite fitting.

Yeah, he hasn't sang like this for some time. For example, in "Slow Walking" track last year his delivery was more 'natural' (not a good word, because I don't know if there even exist a kind of thing as Mick's 'natural voice') , probably his most strong, deep, and soulful interpretation for ages. Now he put another gear, and plays with the sharp edge of his voice with full of little tricks (especially his unique phrasing). I also think that kind of theatrics fits very well to this song (that has not always been the case). If a guy has an unique voice of that caliber, and still that strong and sharp, go ahead, use it!

There was a time when I thought that Mick hides the weaknesses of his voice with his theatrics (and nasal, too), but as you pointed out, especially from BLUE & LONESOME on, he has shown that he can sing differently ('naturally' if you like) and strongly without those 'tricks'. Now I think using that voice is purely an artistic choice: he tuned his instrument to get a certain effect. Mick might not be a very good actor, but the way he acts with his voice is pretty phenomenal.

But the last verse, oh man, he pushes his voice to limit, and especially the broken word "one", is totally unhearable before. I've been studying this dude's way of singing for ages, and that totally came out of blue.

Let's say I am pretty impressed by the results.

- Doxa

That new track reminded me of :
- Mick's raspy vocal delivery and microphone sound on B&L's "All Of Your Love"
- John Barry's Persuaders theme, the little "plinks" starting at 1'38" sound like a straight copy TBH, can't be an accident...
- Tom Waits, especially his Raindogs album where Keith plays on a few tracks (if memory serves Tom Waits is quoted in Keith's bio saying he showed up to the studio with his roadies and a truck full of guitars !).

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-02 19:37 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 2, 2022 19:25

bertrichards

Are there any informations about a physical release?

The Track is listed as e-Single (Download/Streaming) - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 2, 2022 20:20

It sounds a little like the Mean Mr Grinch theme song from the 1966 cartoon

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 2, 2022 21:53

Like! Not far from Cross Eyed Heart. Mature. Brilliant. The glimmers met again!

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: April 3, 2022 00:28

Taylor1

I already wrote this the third page of this thread.

Date: April 1, 2022 00:47

Sounds like "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.''

Date: April 3, 2022 00:46

Chester
Taylor1

Great minds think a like

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-03 00:46 by Taylor1.

Date: April 3, 2022 00:51

Taylor1
Chester
Taylor1

Great minds think a like

smileys with beer

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 3, 2022 06:33

MartinB

Not even sure what that means ... to say that almost says to me that you never heard Mick sing before. Isn't he overdoing it on Satisfaction, Sympathy For the Devil, Winter, etc.?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 3, 2022 07:25

This was a lot better than expected! Something about this song makes me want to listen again and again. It has a cool vibe.

Date: April 3, 2022 11:40

to say that almost says to me that you never heard Mick sing before. Isn't he overdoing it on Satisfaction, Sympathy For the Devil, Winter, etc.?

YEAH LeonidP lets hope MatinB
dont go way back and discover Stoned .... HHHHaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 3, 2022 14:25

LeonidP
MartinB

Not even sure what that means ... to say that almost says to me that you never heard Mick sing before. Isn't he overdoing it on Satisfaction, Sympathy For the Devil, Winter, etc.?
It's a different way of overdoing though. It used to be more about how he articulated the words and on this song it's more about using a lot of twang. Still I think it fits well to the song. On the Stones stuff in recent years like Blue and Lonesome or the Tattoo You Deluxe he didn't do it so it's more of an artistic choice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-03 14:28 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 3, 2022 14:38

With Winter you might have a vague case in point though 40 years have passed in between, but to compare mick's swagger in satisfaction (he was 20....) or the infinite coolness of SFTD intro, which he sings almost flat to counterpoint the ape-like humming and the screams, to this mature worked on affected vocals is very strange imo

maybe it's just to accept someone else's taste

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-03 14:40 by maumau.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2022 18:23

StonedRambler
LeonidP
MartinB

It's a different way of overdoing though. It used to be more about how he articulated the words and on this song it's more about using a lot of twang. Still I think it fits well to the song. On the Stones stuff in recent years like Blue and Lonesome or the Tattoo You Deluxe he didn't do it so it's more of an artistic choice.

Isn't this just another way of saying he modifies his style of singing to reflect the sound he wants from the song?

There are innumerable examples of it through the years...here are a few where he changes his accent. Is the 'instruction' that he shouldn't be doing this? Bowie gets the credit for being a chameleon, but vocally, it's Mick.

Far Away Eyes, Country Honk, Dead Flowers, Lovin' Cup - Faux Country
Miss You - American
Where The Boys Go - cockney
Lady Jane, New Faces - Aristocratic
Any blues cover

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 3, 2022 19:02

treaclefingers
StonedRambler
LeonidP
MartinB

Isn't this just another way of saying he modifies his style of singing to reflect the sound he wants from the song?

There are innumerable examples of it through the years...here are a few where he changes his accent. Is the 'instruction' that he shouldn't be doing this? Bowie gets the credit for being a chameleon, but vocally, it's Mick.

Far Away Eyes, Country Honk, Dead Flowers, Lovin' Cup - Faux Country
Miss You - American
Where The Boys Go - cockney
Lady Jane, New Faces - Aristocratic
Any blues cover

treaclef, very good point! Mick is an excellent mimic and does change his accents according to type of song.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 3, 2022 20:38

maumau
With Winter you might have a vague case in point though 40 years have passed in between, but to compare mick's swagger in satisfaction (he was 20....) or the infinite coolness of SFTD intro, which he sings almost flat to counterpoint the ape-like humming and the screams, to this mature worked on affected vocals is very strange imo

maybe it's just to accept someone else's taste
On Winter , I think he was emulating Van Morrison

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home