Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones - Country Songs (Alt Versions) HQ
Posted by: gostonesforever ()
Date: March 22, 2022 00:10

I love it, hope you do too. God bless the Stones...

Re: Rolling Stones - Country Songs (Alt Versions) HQ
Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 22, 2022 10:52

gostonesforever
I love it, hope you do too. God bless the Stones...

Looking at the track listing I'm not surprised you love it. So would I. It's amazing!

Is this a 'real' album? As in it actually exists in physical form somewhere? Or is it a download? I know all these tracks have been released at one time or another. But they straddle both the Decca/London era and the Rolling Stones Records years! So I take it that it's some kind of bootleg...

Posted by: gostonesforever ()
Date: March 22, 2022 12:51

Looking at the track listing I'm not surprised you love it. So would I. It's amazing!

Is this a 'real' album? As in it actually exists in physical form somewhere? Or is it a download? I know all these tracks have been released at one time or another. But they straddle both the Decca/London era and the Rolling Stones Records years! So I take it that it's some kind of bootleg...[/quote]

Not a "real" album in physical form as far as I know. The link popped up on my you tube page. Sometines one gets lucky with that. Glas ya liked it. Cheers.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 22, 2022 15:50

Sweet Virginia?
Far Away Eyes?

Date: March 22, 2022 16:26

Yes you could indeed include Sweet Virginia and Far Away Eyes in any compilation of country-leaning Stones material. Down-Home Girl, Silver Train and All Down The Line would fit in nicely too. In addition you could also consider Indian Girl, Jigsaw Puzzle, Let It Bleed, Prodigal Son, Love In Vain, You Gotta Move, The Worst...

There are umpteen tracks by The Stones that incline towards being country. And many more that could easily be rearranged to become so. Not all of those I have suggested are fully country - some are more blues, or country blues. But they have a country heart a-beatin' in there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-22 16:42 by GerardHennessy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 22, 2022 16:28

GerardHennessy
Yes you could indeed include Sweet Virginia and Far Away Eyes in any compilation of country-leaning Stones material. Down-Home Girl, Silver Train, All Down The Line. In addition you could consider Indian Girl, Jigsaw Puzzle, Let It Bleed, Prodigal Son, Love In Vain, You Gotta Move, The Worst...

There are umpteen tracks by The Stones that incline towards being country. And many more that could easily be rearranged to become so. Not all of those I have suggested are fully country - some are more blues, or country blues. But they have a country heart a-beatin' in there

I made a CD of stones country music about 15 years ago. Fabulous stuff.

Don't forget High and Dry from Aftermath, their first country excursion.

Date: March 22, 2022 16:54

treaclefingers
GerardHennessy
Yes you could indeed include Sweet Virginia and Far Away Eyes in any compilation of country-leaning Stones material. Down-Home Girl, Silver Train, All Down The Line. In addition you could consider Indian Girl, Jigsaw Puzzle, Let It Bleed, Prodigal Son, Love In Vain, You Gotta Move, The Worst...

Yes indeed. A top class addition to the list. Thank you. Personally I would submit that Down Home Girl was their first country excursion. But one of my best friends disagrees and would side with you. Either way it does not really matter. They are both excellent songs.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 22, 2022 17:09

I too put together my own Stones country mix CD a few years back. It had more songs on it than this and was probably before the Exile and Some Girls bonus material came out which added significantly to their country cannon. (Especially Some Girls era when they seemed to be doing quite a bit of country stuff.)

In relation to this specific compilation, very obvious omissions appear to be We Had it All, Far Away Eyes and Torn and Frayed. But then again it is a compilation of alternative versions which may explain it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 22, 2022 20:17

Blinded By Love is a great Stones country song. I think it's lyrics are a bit too complex for your average country song.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 23, 2022 11:17

You got the Silver with Mick on vocals?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 23, 2022 12:55

Dear Doctor: Mick Jagger's vocal technique on that number is fantastique! What he does with his voice is really good, the inflections, the accentuation, the stretching of the words, pushing his voice to the limits of his higher range etc... Top job Mick!!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 23, 2022 13:03

GerardHennessy
treaclefingers
GerardHennessy

Yes indeed. A top class addition to the list. Thank you. Personally I would submit that Down Home Girl was their first country excursion. But one of my best friends disagrees and would side with you. Either way it does not really matter. They are both excellent songs.

Both great songs.. but I would also side with your friend and treacles winking smiley

In terms of a country cover.. no tongue in cheek, their live cover of Bob Wills Is Still The King, is the best I've heard in terms of them playing straight up country music.

Date: March 23, 2022 13:06

ukcal

It's just as much country blues with Keith on vocals smiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 23, 2022 13:49

DandelionPowderman
ukcal

Plus the topic of this compilation is "Country Songs (Alt Versions)", so including Silver with Keith on vocals would not have made the brightest sense imo (unless there's an alternate Keith vocals version out there that I don't know of).

Date: March 23, 2022 14:12

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
ukcal

Plus the topic of this compilation is "Country Songs (Alt Versions)", so including Silver with Keith on vocals would not have made the brightest sense imo (unless there's an alternate Keith vocals version out there that I don't know of).

I think the compilation went from alternate takes to originals some 10 posts ago winking smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 23, 2022 14:23

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
ukcal

I think the compilation went from alternate takes to originals some 10 posts ago winking smiley

Yeah, maybe it's because people don't properly read before they post...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 23, 2022 23:59

Odd... In Dead Flowers, after the guitar solo, Mick sings "Take me down, Little Lucy..." (3rd chorus).

[youtu.be]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2022 03:55

24FPS
Blinded By Love is a great Stones country song. I think it's lyrics are a bit too complex for your average country song.

Agreed, love that song.

Date: March 24, 2022 13:52

schillid
Odd... In Dead Flowers, after the guitar solo, Mick sings "Take me down, Little Lucy..." (3rd chorus).

[youtu.be]

I always thought he sang 'Take me down little Suzy'... Either way its fabulous song! Sadly I have never attended a concert where they played it.

Date: March 24, 2022 13:55

GerardHennessy
schillid

[youtu.be]

I always thought he sang 'Take me down little Suzy'... Either way its fabulous song! Sadly I have never attended a concert where they played it.

He does, but in this alternate version he slips out "Lucy" in the third chorus. Maybe one of the reasons they didn't keep that vocal take smiling smiley

Posted by: ebalm ()
Date: March 24, 2022 15:53

Great playlist. I got me thinking and listening to other stones country. Realized some of the best Stones country can be found on the Some Girls bonus disc. Great collection. Always been one of my favorites, new vocals and all.

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: March 24, 2022 18:57

I can’t see any track listings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home