Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Freejack - 30 years
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 21, 2022 14:33

Freejack a futuristic look at ... A bunch of stuff in hindsight.

Do you remember the Theatrical Release (very limited) or the VHS, where it found it's audience. I was luck enough to find a DVD copy in the early 2000's ..

What are your memories in hindsight, too me it's hilarious

It was Directed buy a bloke I met,Geoff Murphy. Geoff was a Journeyman/Clean Up Director whose career was book ended by Peter Jackson using him as a Second Unit Director on the Lord Of The Rings project

[en.wikipedia.org]

Re: OT: Freejack - 30 years
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 21, 2022 14:51

I, too, have the DVD, but to be honest, I don't believe I've ever watched it!

Date: March 21, 2022 15:40

I won't buy the superdeluxe edition winking smiley

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: March 21, 2022 16:15

I watched this at a drive-in movie theater in Oakland with my dad, I was 16.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 21, 2022 16:29

terrible film although it was prophetic in regards to cars. compare the cars in the movie to the prius. yuck!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 21, 2022 16:31

30 years is long enough.
FREEJACK now.

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: March 21, 2022 18:10

average film

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 21, 2022 19:45

Seems to me Commander likes sci-fi flicks. With a bit more luck he could have ended up in Alien or Blade Runner. Instead he ended up in b-movies. YCAGWYW I guess...

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 21, 2022 19:46

Very corny and fun

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 21, 2022 20:36

I've always loved Freejack. The sets, the action sequences, the characters, the humor, Mick, Estevez, all the other actors -- an exhilarating ride into the "future" (2009!)

Drew

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 21, 2022 21:13

dumb fun elevated by mick's presence

definitely on the short list for a future episode of mst3k

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2022 21:24

Doubt it'll ever make the
Criterion Collection list .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 21, 2022 21:39

Date: March 21, 2022 21:40

Rockman
Doubt it'll ever make the
Criterion Collection list .....

ahh but i need the 30 page essay by martin scorsese about how it revolutionized the film industry

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 21, 2022 22:18

A couple of weeks ago I bought the mediabook blu ray version at Amazon.de (Germany). I didn't watch it yet, but the book looks great. They have a lot of different cover versions, I chose the one with the original artwork.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 21, 2022 22:22

Some silly facts about the film:
Georgia Jagger was conceived during filming in the month of May.
Anthony Hopkins said he had nothing to do at the time and always wanted to meet Mick Jagger (though both being English they had not met before).
The race scenes were done at "Road Atlanta" circuit (Baselton/Georgia) though the race is titled something like Grand Prix of New York.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 21, 2022 22:35

I already posted this sometime before. When Mick paid a visit to Japan for the promotion of Freejack, he stated at the press conference or in an interview that as a teenager he was an avid science fiction fan, subscribing a science fiction magazine and waiting eagerly for its postal delivery. He mentioned on some occasion that he read all the works by Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke. He also once revealed that the Steel Wheels stage set was inspired by Bladerunner as well as Neuromancer, the seminal cyberpunk novel by William Gibson. There you go.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2022 22:53

30 page essay by martin scorsese about how it revolutionized the film industry

Hey yeah be cool if Marty shone a light on it ....

The guy sees things in films that others don't .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 21, 2022 23:35

Funny enough I saw it on opening night, which was my birthday (and Mick Taylor's).
1/17. I went with two friends, one of whom fell asleep during the movie.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2022 00:03

Interesting that while Mick was working on this ridiculous dud of a movie, Keith was working on the highly excellent Main Offender.
I recall seeing Freejack in a theater, and it was doomed from the start mostly due to the terrible acting skills of both Mick and Emilio Estevez - they should have called it Upchuck.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 22, 2022 01:01

One of my favorite interviews with Mick (done by Kurt Loder) was on the set of Freejack in Atlanta.

Date: March 22, 2022 05:06

RisingStone
I already posted this sometime before. When Mick paid a visit to Japan for the promotion of Freejack, he stated at the press conference or in an interview that as a teenager he was an avid science fiction fan, subscribing a science fiction magazine and waiting eagerly for its postal delivery. He mentioned on some occasion that he read all the works by Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke. He also once revealed that the Steel Wheels stage set was inspired by Bladerunner as well as Neuromancer, the seminal cyberpunk novel by William Gibson. There you go.

wow didn't know that about mick

but i do remember reading an interview with mick from the late 60's where he talks about seeing 2001 in a theatre and a girl stood up in the middle of the film and shouted that the monolith was a big brick of hash

i'm also a big sci fi fan and love asimov and clarke's work (though not them as people)

really love to see this press conference or interview from japan if anyone's got it

Date: March 22, 2022 05:44

ProfessorWolf
RisingStone

wow didn't know that about mick

but i do remember reading an interview with mick from the late 60's where he talks about seeing 2001 in a theatre and a girl stood up in the middle of the film and shouted that the monolith was a big brick of hash

i'm also a big sci fi fan and love asimov and clarke's work (though not them as people)

really love to see this press conference or interview from japan if anyone's got it

I don’t have the article that contained his statement at hand now, but that impressed me so much then I remember it well as it was quite a contrast from the image of Mick as the epitome of sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll. Another testimony of his upbringing as a well-educated, urban middle class young boy perhaps.

I also remember his statement in the 60’s that he was a fan of Thunderbirds.

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 22, 2022 09:49

ProfessorWolf

I always thought Asimov was a nice guy, though I haven't read a biography or anything...

Less said about Clarke, the better.

And definitely interested in the press conference, if anybody can post a link.

Date: March 22, 2022 10:20

GhostTown2021
ProfessorWolf

I always thought Asimov was a nice guy, though I haven't read a biography or anything...

sadly asimov was well known for groping women

a lot of women

and he did nothing to hide it he was even proud of it

heck in the early 70's he wrote a book about called "the sensuous dirty old man"

great writer not great person

and as a even bigger fan of clarke's work

your right the less said about his activities in sri lanka the better

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 22, 2022 10:33

ProfessorWolf
GhostTown2021
ProfessorWolf

a lot of women

heck in the early 70's he wrote a book about called "the sensuous dirty old man"

Oh, ok, I didn't know that about Asimov. Thanks for the info, though it does kinda make me feel sad sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-22 10:35 by GhostTown2021.

Date: March 22, 2022 10:48

GhostTown2021
ProfessorWolf
GhostTown2021
ProfessorWolf

a lot of women

Oh, ok, I didn't know that about Asimov. Thanks for the info, though it does kinda make me feel sad sad smiley

yeah i know the feeling i've been reading asimov since i was nine

i'm just glad i can separate his work from him

i'm re reading foundation right now with the new series coming out

so happy hard sci fi is starting to become more common in movies and tv

Date: March 22, 2022 14:54

GhostTown2021
ProfessorWolf

AFAIK the press conference report (or the interview) is not put on the internet — it was published in a Japanese magazine back in the day. And I live a long, long way from home now...

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: March 22, 2022 15:18

I was 13 when Freejack was released. I didn't see it in a cinema, but I rented it at my local videostore shortly after its release. As a kid I kinda liked it. Mainly because my hero Mick Jagger played in it. But when I bought the DVD years later, I saw how bad it actually is, despite its decent cast. The plot is very thin, Estevez is acting poorly and the production value is rated 'B' at best.

I like Micks acting actually and his role too. A big step forward from Performance, Ned Kelly and especially Running Out of Luck smiling smiley

Date: March 22, 2022 23:40

RisingStone
GhostTown2021
ProfessorWolf

AFAIK the press conference report (or the interview) is not put on the internet — it was published in a Japanese magazine back in the day. And I live a long, long way from home now...

oh ok

thanks that clarifies things nicely

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home