Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Did they ever play or rehearse "Highwire"?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 25, 2022 17:02

Taylor1
gotdablouse
Or the Wandering Spirit sessions since we now know thanks to Jimmy Rip that it was ready in 1988 !

But yes, it's a Mick song as he explained to RS when it was released in 1991. I'm sure the full quote is on "Timeisonmyside" ;-)
But the Gulf War didn’t happen until 1990-1991?.So the lyrics were not written in 1988

"According to Jagger, the music for “High Wire” dates back to pre-Steel Wheels days: “It was one of those things that I played for people, but no one seemed to pick up on it.” The tune got a new lease on life when the Stones decided to record a brand-new studio track for the live album. “I didn’t know if it was going to come off,” Jagger admitted, “whether it was anything that anyone would want to hear. But it really just sounds like the Rolling Stones.”
Jagger wrote the lyrics at the end of December, as talk of an impending gulf war started to heat up, and the Stones cut “High Wire” during the second week of January, shortly before the bombs started falling in Baghdad"

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: March 25, 2022 19:58

Gazza

The song wasnt 'banned' for the sentiment. Songs were temporarily banned at the time for having lyrics that might be insensitive. Even old songs like 'Rock The Casbah' and (believe it or not) Phil Collins' 'In The Air Tonight' were removed from radio playlists for the duration of the war.

'Rhythm of My Heart' (written by Marc Jordan and John Capek), which was recorded by Rod Stewart and released in 1991, was another one, as noted here.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 26, 2022 01:27

Taylor1
gotdablouse
Or the Wandering Spirit sessions since we now know thanks to Jimmy Rip that it was ready in 1988 !

But yes, it's a Mick song as he explained to RS when it was released in 1991. I'm sure the full quote is on "Timeisonmyside" ;-)
But the Gulf War didn’t happen until 1990-1991?.So the lyrics were not written in 1988

They could have been, It's a recurring theme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-26 06:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 26, 2022 12:20

ryanpow
Taylor1
gotdablouse

Or maybe re-written like 'Ghost Town' ?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 26, 2022 15:04

KRiffhard
Taylor1
gotdablouse

"According to Jagger, the music for “High Wire” dates back to pre-Steel Wheels days: “It was one of those things that I played for people, but no one seemed to pick up on it.” The tune got a new lease on life when the Stones decided to record a brand-new studio track for the live album. “I didn’t know if it was going to come off,” Jagger admitted, “whether it was anything that anyone would want to hear. But it really just sounds like the Rolling Stones.”
Jagger wrote the lyrics at the end of December, as talk of an impending gulf war started to heat up, and the Stones cut “High Wire” during the second week of January, shortly before the bombs started falling in Baghdad"

[www.rollingstone.com]

That’s it! Still remember where I was when I read that article in RS on a Friday night in early 1991 …he didn’t have any reason to mention that unreleased solo album at the time of course, now Jimmy…how much for that tape ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 26, 2022 17:02

Irix
ryanpow
Taylor1
gotdablouse

Or maybe re-written like 'Ghost Town' ?

I just watched the interview earlier this thread and looked up the lyrics again.. Yeah it was at least re-written later.

After revisiting this song, I'm impressed by it. It's a pretty blistering commentary but not done in way that's preachy. It has a feel good sound and captures the era in the way that only the Stones can. It could have been a big hit. Maybe it wasn't promoted right, or the audience wasn't receptive to it, or some combination of the two.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-26 17:26 by ryanpow.

Posted by: lelandsundries ()
Date: March 26, 2022 21:51

I love this tune! Back in '94 when I only had a couple of Stones of albums (my folks vinyl plus the then-new Voodoo Lounge CD), I found this album for cheap on tape (well before I acquired all the albums and start pickup bootlegs) and played it endlessly and felt like this tune was one that showed that the Stones were still vital.

Are we sure the lyric is "cold, cold knives?" I've always heard it as "cold, cold lies," which seems to make more sense given Mick's interview (thanks for posting that!).

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 26, 2022 21:55

lelandsundries

Are we sure the lyric is "cold, cold knives?"

Should be: "cold, cold nights" - [Keno.org] .

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home