Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: How is the money divided now?
Date: March 18, 2022 12:10

dead.flowers
Concerning the backing musicians on tour, I read on this forum some time ago, they'd be having free travel and accommodation plus a mere 500 or 1000 Dollars per gig. With a view to the principals, it doesn't really sound generous.

No way the backup musicians only earn 7000 dollar for 3/4 months work.

Just no way.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 18, 2022 13:36

NashvilleBlues
No disrespect intended. I was wondering how the band’s money is divided now that Charlie has died. How was the money for the 2021 US tour divided? How will it be done for the Sixty Tour? Do Darryl and Steve get the same amount of money? How is Charlie’s part divided or does it continue to go to his family? Again, no disrespect intended. Just curious.

Presumably they have some kind of pension/investment arrangement that would pay out, at least in part, to their partner in the event of a death. But I'm not sure about payments from the tour after death. That would be like expecting my employer to keep paying my salary to my wife when I kick it. IDK.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 18, 2022 14:13

dead.flowers
Concerning the backing musicians on tour, I read on this forum some time ago, they'd be having free travel and accommodation plus a mere 500 or 1000 Dollars per gig. With a view to the principals, it doesn't really sound generous.

I only have a vague idea how this works but chances are they are part of the musician's union and at the absolute minimum getting union scale, whatever that is.

We're not talking about Faster Pussycat replacement members here.

And with only 2 gigs a week and rehearsals, they are more likely getting weekly salary as opposed to a per gig payment.

These guys have families, bills, mortgate payments, health insurance etc so likely can't go broke just to say they played with the Stones.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 18, 2022 15:00

And the importance of some of these musicians. If Chuck wouldn't tour with them again, I guess it would be over...

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 18, 2022 16:20

That’s what they said about Charlie.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: March 18, 2022 16:32

vertigojoe

I don't mean it on an emotional level. Chuck is the one in control. He knows all the songs and has kept record of them. He leads the rehearsals and I would even say he's the one trying to get the best out of the guys. Keith doesn't play much guitar in between the tours anymore and only someone who's been with them for a long time and who's build a deep connection to the personalities in the band can call guys like Keith out and say "we have to do that one again". A new guy at the keys couldn't just do that.
Like him or not, I think as far as getting a show together ahead of the tours and having a deep knowledge of the songs, Chuck would be even harder to replace than Charlie. But I'm just talking on technical levels and I don't mean it emotionally.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 18, 2022 17:46

Between Rolling Stones it used to be Mick 35%, Keith 35%, Charlie 20% and Ronnie 10%.
At least that's what someone who works for LiveNation once told me.
No idea what her sources were.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 18, 2022 17:55

PaintMonkeyManBlack
dead.flowers

Just no way.

Someone told me about 10-12 years ago that the back up band gets 500-250k each on every tour.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 18, 2022 18:03

georgelicks
PaintMonkeyManBlack
dead.flowers

Just no way.

Someone told me about 10-12 years ago that the back up band gets 500-250k each on every tour.

If not more. Chuck makes probably a million plus

Date: March 18, 2022 18:11

georgelicks
PaintMonkeyManBlack
dead.flowers

Just no way.

Maybe that's why they are touring 5 years under the NoFilter name.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 18, 2022 19:26

Cooltoplady
georgelicks
PaintMonkeyManBlack
dead.flowers

Just no way.

If not more. Chuck makes probably a million plus

That would make sense, I seem remember that Doyle Bramhall was getting paid $600k for a tour with Clapton nearly 10 years ago, that became public during some filings for his divorce.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: March 18, 2022 19:39

More Hot Rocks
gustavobala
when john entwitle died, in a pre-tour who´s tour, his family don´t get anything

all the money stays with pete tonswhend and roger daltrey

and the tour was happening because john's finances were pretty bad...

But yet he had a collection of about 500 basses and who knows what else.

Pete said he was completely broke before the 2002 tour, which was made possible by this financial hardship. pete didn't want to tour

sold everything, according his son

and sold yet his mansion, this one:

[en.wikipedia.org]

"....John Entwistle and his wife Alison bought the property as a weekend retreat in 1976, and Entwistle occupied the house until his death in 2002. In 2004 his son Christopher offered the house for sale at a price of £3.75 million (equivalent to £5,890,000 in 2020). Entwistle's ashes were buried in the grounds.The house is currently owned by Piet Pulford...."

"....Entwistle's mansion, Quarwood, and some of his personal effects were later sold off to meet the demands of the Inland Revenue; he had worked for the agency from 1962–1963 as a tax officer before being demoted to filing clerk, prior to joining the Who......"

Date: March 18, 2022 19:49

gustavobala
More Hot Rocks
gustavobala
when john entwitle died, in a pre-tour who´s tour, his family don´t get anything

Pete said he was completely broke before the 2002 tour, which was made possible by this financial hardship. pete didn't want to tour

[en.wikipedia.org]

"....John Entwistle and his wife Alison bought the property as a weekend retreat in 1976, and Entwistle occupied the house until his death in 2002. In 2004 his son Christopher offered the house for sale at a price of £3.75 million (equivalent to £5,890,000 in 2020). Entwistle's ashes were buried in the grounds.The house is currently owned by Piet Pulford...."

"....Entwistle's mansion, Quarwood, and some of his personal effects were later sold off to meet the demands of the Inland Revenue; he had worked for the agency from 1962–1963 as a tax officer before being demoted to filing clerk, prior to joining the Who......"

If you have equity which he did he wasn’t broke it’s part of your net worth.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 18, 2022 20:09

MonkeyMan2000
vertigojoe

I don't mean it on an emotional level. Chuck is the one in control. He knows all the songs and has kept record of them. He leads the rehearsals and I would even say he's the one trying to get the best out of the guys. Keith doesn't play much guitar in between the tours anymore and only someone who's been with them for a long time and who's build a deep connection to the personalities in the band can call guys like Keith out and say "we have to do that one again". A new guy at the keys couldn't just do that.
Like him or not, I think as far as getting a show together ahead of the tours and having a deep knowledge of the songs, Chuck would be even harder to replace than Charlie. But I'm just talking on technical levels and I don't mean it emotionally.
You're right about Chuck but I think if he would quit or anything they would just play the warhorses. Without him and his songbooks they maybe couldn't do that one rare song per show anymore. But to play JJF or HTW they don't necessarily need him. Any other piano player would do.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2022 20:14

Cooltoplady
gustavobala
More Hot Rocks
gustavobala

[en.wikipedia.org]

If you have equity which he did he wasn’t broke it’s part of your net worth.

It's all about liquidity...cash flow. He'd have had to sell his partnership in the Who, to the other members and become a hired hand.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 19, 2022 03:42

gustavobala

Sure they were bad... Pete and Roger's lives were in jeopardy, murdered in cold blood is what they're meant to be. They ain't been home since that night and John's wives were coming after them!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 19, 2022 06:20

MonkeyMan2000
vertigojoe

It's more likely they just cruise with that. It's easier to have someone with that kind of attention but Mick ultimately makes the decisions. Even Keith has acknowledged that. They'd be just fine without Chuck. It would just be different. It's The Rolling Stones, after all.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 19, 2022 09:12

georgelicks

This sounds absolutely reasonable and goes with what I was told that "2 years touring with the Stones equals to 5-6 years good income & financial safety".

I'm talking about the 2 year world tours that ended with A Bigger Bang, of course. The financial arrangements for the short tours since 2012 may very likely be different, though, but obviously still good enough that nobody must starve.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: March 20, 2022 03:06

Ron Wood has been a 25% partner since 1993 when he was given Bill’s share.
I heard a while back that the backing singers receive low 5-figures per week, bass and keys receive mid 5-figures per week.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 20, 2022 07:18

jiggysawdust
Ron Wood has been a 25% partner since 1993 when he was given Bill’s share.
I heard a while back that the backing singers receive low 5-figures per week, bass and keys receive mid 5-figures per week.

Yeah, I believe tour money is split evenly. That helps make up for the others not sharing in the Jagger/Richards songwriting pile. That was the problem in the late 60s. Jagger/Richards were filthy rich from song royalties, while Bill and Charlie were practically broke with only their mechanical royalties. Which is why they needed/wanted to get out on the road, and Brian was an impediment.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 20, 2022 11:41

dead.flowers
Concerning the backing musicians on tour, I read on this forum some time ago, they'd be having free travel and accommodation plus a mere 500 or 1000 Dollars per gig.

Can't be.
Iirc Dylan gave 10K to each of his sidemen per night and he asked promoters 120K per gig.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 20, 2022 15:03

BowieStone
Between Rolling Stones it used to be Mick 35%, Keith 35%, Charlie 20% and Ronnie 10%.

Why should Charlie's share in the Stones' companies be different to Mick's and Keith's? Any difference in their fortunes comes from composer's royalties (and Keith's drug addiction expenses...).

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 20, 2022 15:06

JJHMick
BowieStone

Why should Charlie's share in the Stones' companies be different to Mick's and Keith's? Any difference in their fortunes comes from composer's royalties (and Keith's drug addiction expenses...).

… not to forget their investment strategies

Date: March 20, 2022 15:09

Regarding the Who, I once wrote on a fan board that I wondered how Keith Moon would be worth something like 20 or 30 million Dollars (I don't remember the exact figure) as he was dead for 30 years and hereby missed the big "Last" tours. The Who rarely released records with old Moonie material after his death, don't think they have that much air play too. So how come, his estate is still that rich? And the answer was that his family had inherited his company seat.
(Please, don't blame me if someone starts a Mick Taylor discussion over this.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-21 13:34 by JJHMick.

Date: March 20, 2022 15:12

slewan

… not to forget their investment strategies

Don't you think that Prince Rupert and Joyce Smyth advise(d) all members?

Date: March 20, 2022 19:17

I wonder how many posts on IORR start with "Somebody told me'. Or "I have a reliable source"?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 20, 2022 19:49

Havent checked yet but me mate
Eric said its more than he'd want to repeat ...............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: March 20, 2022 23:46

In a documentary about sidemen, Bernard Fowler says he can only afford take a few weeks off after a Stones tour before he has to start pounding the pavement again. Who knows what kind of lifestyle he lives, though.

When asked if he feels like a Rolling Stone, he replied:"No, I don't make Rolling Stones kind of money". Ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-20 23:47 by mosthigh.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: March 21, 2022 00:19

According to Bill Wyman the Urban Jungle European Tour accountants where making more money than him and Charlie.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 21, 2022 00:54

What’s Bill’s financial arrangement with the Stones?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home