Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Buddy Guy and Colin James
Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 17, 2022 07:49

I went to see Buddy Guy the other night. Pre-show, the venue was playing Stones music, which was really enjoyable. The opening act was the Colin James Band and they were on fire! They rocked the house hard. I was not familiar with Colin James. Great guitarist! I was impressed with the harp playing by the bassist while he played the bass. Not many musicians can do that. Does anybody know the name of the song Colin opened with? I really liked it.

I was in the front row and was the only person there wearing a Buddy Guy t-shirt and a Stones tongue necklace. Buddy noticed and threw me his towel mid-show and a pick at the end. I was wondering if he’d skip his usual walk through the audience because of COVID, but he just put a mask on and did it anyway.

Even though he plays less and less guitar at his concerts, what he does play is gold and it was a night of fabulous music. Buddy Guy is a treasure. Go see him if you possibly can.

I wanted to post this in the “what concerts have you been to lately” thread, but I couldn’t find it.

Re: OT: Buddy Guy and Colin James
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 17, 2022 09:19

JadedFaded
I went to see Buddy Guy the other night. Pre-show, the venue was playing Stones music, which was really enjoyable. The opening act was the Colin James Band and they were on fire! They rocked the house hard. I was not familiar with Colin James. Great guitarist! I was impressed with the harp playing by the bassist while he played the bass. Not many musicians can do that. Does anybody know the name of the song Colin opened with? I really liked it.

I was in the front row and was the only person there wearing a Buddy Guy t-shirt and a Stones tongue necklace. Buddy noticed and threw me his towel mid-show and a pick at the end. I was wondering if he’d skip his usual walk through the audience because of COVID, but he just put a mask on and did it anyway.

Even though he plays less and less guitar at his concerts, what he does play is gold and it was a night of fabulous music. Buddy Guy is a treasure. Go see him if you possibly can.

I wanted to post this in the “what concerts have you been to lately” thread, but I couldn’t find it.

Did see him open for the Stones, in Los Angeles, at what I think was the Voodoo Lounge Tour?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 17, 2022 09:57

Was this the Saban? I was there! But I got in maybe during the second song (last minute decision)

My friend was inside and flipping out because she bought his records in the 1980's and had no idea he was opening.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 17, 2022 11:41

JadedFaded

He's a national treasure. I had the pleasure of hanging out with him once before a show & having a drink. He had his pre-show libation & told stories. Very nice man. Yes, go see him while you have a chance.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: March 17, 2022 19:12

Colin James is great! I think he got "discovered" by Stevie Ray Vaughn out in western Canada back in the early/mid-80's, he put out some great stuff with his Little Big Band, really cool!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 17, 2022 20:12

Buddy Guy great!Enjoyed him at the National music day gig in London many years back.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 18, 2022 01:05

ShaTurd
Colin James is great! I think he got "discovered" by Stevie Ray Vaughn out in western Canada back in the early/mid-80's, he put out some great stuff with his Little Big Band, really cool!

He opened for Stevie in Regina Saskatchewan in 1984 when the scheduled opener didn't show. Stevie invited him to open the rest of the tour. His first album came out in 1988, my favourite on that album is Five Long Years. He lives in Vancouver.

Posted by: DirtyT ()
Date: March 18, 2022 01:24

Colin opened for Keith and Winos in Boston 1988..

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 18, 2022 05:52

Dan
Was this the Saban? I was there! But I got in maybe during the second song (last minute decision)

My friend was inside and flipping out because she bought his records in the 1980's and had no idea he was opening.

California Center for the Arts in Escondido, CA. Lovely theater.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 18, 2022 05:58

I saw him early on this tour in St. Louis, had to take my kid to see one of the last living blues legends. He didn't do the audience walkthrough, but I did catch a pick too!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2022 06:01

ShaTurd

He is great. Saw him in 88 at the Commodore in Vancouver. His voice wasn't quite the blues then, but has improved with age. Canadian icon. Hell, blues icon.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 18, 2022 14:47

I saw Colin James maybe 5 years ago and was really impressed. This fellow used to be his sax player (or may still be…)

[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home