I've learned a lot about Thomas Tull since spring 2019... given lots of "listens" into his world to try to discern who TF this guy is, and am sure I now know more about this billionaire than I've ever known (or will ever want to) about any other.
He comes across well in most contexts. By "well" I mean, while of course sufficiently ruthless to become a self-made billionaire to begin with, also being someone with a functioning conscience, who leans towards doing the right thing in a range of areas. (With a predeliction for what's cool and grandiose. A freshman dorm hallmate of mine whose musings I enjoyed when we were both 17, geneticist George Church, is trying to de-extinct wooly mammoths. Tull, the financier of Jurassic World, is helping him with $.) So either that -- he's overall one of the "good guys" -- or he's just smooth and has duped me. But I'm going with the former. Here, give a listen to this particularly favorable impression given by the builder, owner, songwriter, absolute czar, and 2nd guitarist of Gho$t Hound$, from Feb. 2021: [finance.yahoo.com
]. He is brilliant
at making money. (Writing great songs? IMO not so much.)
So I continue to wonder why he doesn't grasp how wrong it is to be pushing his way onto Rolling Stones stages that his band hasn't earned, thereby taking valuable opportunities from bands that both have earned it, and are simply better. Why this blind spot?
Thursday in Amsterdam Thomas Tull, IMO, should
close their set by saying, "Thank you. This [his 10th] is the last of these Rolling Stones opening slots we'll be taking up."
And then go have as much fun with his band as he wants to. But getting onto stages the way others must: by earning and deserving them.
But, Tull shows no signs of such an epiphany yet.
SO, in the meantime:Dear Rolling Stones Inc.:
For your only remaining support act spot still open, Berlin, I urge you to chooseDREAM WIFE
On this thread I've not just argued at length against the mediocre-musically Hey-Everybody-Look-At-Me-With-The-Rolling-Stones-I'm-Not-JUST-A-Billionaire-I'm-THE-COOLEST-Billionaire!!!
stunningly selfish vanity project which goes by the name of Gho$t Hound$.
I've also advocated for
real, no-shit, properly-paying-their-dues, BETTER bands and acts that, in contrast to Gho$t Hound$, actually dare to tour on only their own music, and actually deserve
this once-prestigious opportunity, on merit, but are unable to just buy it away from the super-rich.
I've advocated this tour for
Amyl and the Sniffers
St. Paul and the Broken Bones
...and indicated approval of 2022 openers
War On Drugs
2019, 2020, and 2021 I also advocated for Dream Wife, and somehow neglected to bring them up again this year on this thread. Shame on me.
Only a couple of days ago I was surprised and very pleased to see something I hadn't even realized happened. That, while Dream Wife wasn't booked for it initially and wasn't approached for Hyde Park 1 until it looks like about June 21, they got an unexpected call to appear on the small stage June 25th. And of course they jumped on it.
Their post:Dream Wife
Ignivik [which has to be Icelandic for "June"] 22 at 06:20
Unexpected turn of events: supporting the The Rolling Stones this Saturday !! Amazing! Yes all of our parents, grandparents & their book clubs have been notified & are freaking the fuuuuuu out! We’re very excited for this!
[and gaga-eyes, tongue out emojis]
A few of the replies (leaving the many emojis out)
* Immense! What a massive step in your journey
* Wow! When Maneskin supported them Keith Richards said to them he hadnt a clue who they were but they must be good to be booked as support to RS. So take some [new?] music to give the band!
* Oh my god. U really have made it. Awesome awesome time u guys
* OMG! I was considering buying tickets for the Stones, but this settles it! Can’t wait!!
* What the hell!? That's insane!! Congratulations
* Do you have a stage time? You’re not yet mentioned in the lineup on the BST app and we don’t want to miss you.
* Some very fortunate Rolling Stones' fans
* [from a transit unionist I assume:] no strike on this day. I'm gonna sell my soul and come down.
* you are in for a treat, dream wife are AMAZING, especially live
* Good gig for exposure. Watch that Ron Wood, he likes the young girls
* WOWSERS… The Rolling Stones fans are in for a treat.. we’ll done!!
* COOL! If you read one of my early FM messenger messages to the band, I compared DW to the early Stones and compared Rakel's stage presence to Mick Jagger. I am sooo happy for the band!
* Just reminds me of the days when Iggy and Prince got booed off the stage opening for the Stones in the 80s. Hope the audience can handle it.
* [the Wives celebrate "bad bitches". someone posted an audio link to "Bitch"]
end of fan reply samples
So apparently somebody inside the RS machine figured the HP1 line-up could use a shot of girl punk energy and relevance, maybe one of their daughters(?) pointed them to the Wives, and somebody championed them on the inside. Whoever that was, THANK YOU!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-07 07:40 by TheBluesHadaBaby.