Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fresno
Posted by: reed johnson ()
Date: November 18, 2005 22:06

I was amazed to see they're playing Fresno this Sunday. The one and only time they played there was in the spring of 1965! For those of you outside the US, Fresno is town of about 100,000 north of Bakersfield (Faraway Eyes) in the Central Valley of California. How they came to agree to this gig, in a small, backwater town, is a complete mystery to me. It will obviously be the biggest event to hit Fresno in its history. Perhaps the band was waxing nostalgic about the early days and wanted to revist some of the old venues. The same can probably be said of Omaha, Nebraska where they played, on the first tour, in 1964, to 600 or so. In any event, it's great the band will occasionally venture out of the standard,large metropolitan areas to put on the show.

Re: Fresno
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 18, 2005 22:16

Fresno has been a frequent stop for some high-profile acts in recent years since the SaveMart Center opened.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 18, 2005 23:16

No one cares about this show.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: November 18, 2005 23:24

Actually, Fresno's population has grown to nearly half a million, with numerous additional populations in surrounding towns.

However, to basically agree with reed johnson's point above, I've been there, and Fresno is literally a 'cow town' (as in, the place really and truly smells like cow crap!).

Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:36

Watch, they'll play a half dozen tunes never done live before

Posted by: southboundtrain ()
Date: November 19, 2005 04:27

The population of Fresno is 427,652 as of the 2000 census.
Scaffer is correct.

The population of Omaha is 390,007 as of the 2000 census.

I don't think the Stones play cities with 100,000 people.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: November 19, 2005 09:10

WOW....let's start slamming Fresno now !....unless you have lived there or spent some time there, I don't know how you could have any real opinion....the Stones would have probably played there in past tours except that there was no large arena...since they have built their new arena, many of the top acts in the world perform there now...Fresno is not SF...but Phoenix, Tucson, Salt Lake City aren't much different except for the college student population...Fresno was part of my territory when I was promoting records for A&M years ago...I always had a great time there...the locals there party big time...you would be surprised how worldly many of the local folks are...Fresno may lack world class restaurants & hotels but that's not a sin...hook up with some locals at the show & you might be surprised how much fun you have...I decided to go to Fresno instead of Vegas which has become a bloody expensive hassle...I understand that Tony Roma's restaurant on Shaw Ave. will host a pre party on sunday...after the show, the Elbow Room in Fig Garden just might be the place to go.....Peter Stupar, SF

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 19, 2005 09:43

I have no idea why anyone in CA would go to Vegas instead of Fresno. The ticket prices are great in Fresno, and it's closer to LA than Vegas. I picked up 11th row dead center on the catwalk for slightly above face value (or about the same as top face price in Vegas!).

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:33

Ticket prices are very good in Fresno - saw Bob Dylan at Save Mart Center last year (Oct. 2004) and the sound was good - hoping for good sound or better when the Stones play there tomorrow night....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:44

saw Dylan there too last year, swsfo....looking forward to manana!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:48

I'm seeing Dylan "manana" myself Tod - in fact, I'm seeing him "this evening".. better get to bed...have a plane to catch

Have fun in Fresno!

Date: November 20, 2005 03:48

enjoy - tell him to cool it on the upsinging!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:50

we already have a banner prepared for that purpose!!!

Date: November 20, 2005 03:55

lol

Posted by: MrEdway ()
Date: November 20, 2005 04:15

They've played Fargo....

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: November 20, 2005 09:57

To the 2 Dylan fans (and more) - hope you all enjoy the show - I assume it is of the London ones?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 20, 2005 11:44

It's 2:00 a.m. on the coast, can't sleep. Looking forward to Fresno . . .just so psyched. I feel sorry for Fresno State, they came very very close to beating USC today (american football, for you EU types).

I was driving in Palo Alto, CA (college town about 30 minutes from SF) late last night . . . had my windows open, blasting the intro to Cant you hear me knocking, and a bunch of people on the street started cheering. Pretty cool moment.

Fresno will rock.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home