Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: Pearl Jam US Tour 2022
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 5, 2022 15:09

NashvilleBlues
Funny how those who think their songs sound the same do not have more than an album or 2. Delve deeper! Try Riot Act and Binaural. Glad you love them live though!

Eddie used to jump from high places all the time. Here’s a great clip from their PJ20 documentary. Check at 1:55 when the crowd collapsed. That’s how packed it was at my first ever rock show. PJ 1994 Murfreesboro.

[m.youtube.com]

You hit the mark, I only have two albums — Vs. and No Code. Haven’t played them for ages.

That YouTube footage freaks me outeye popping smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-05 15:46 by RisingStone.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 5, 2022 15:29

Have fun RisingStone! I haven’t seen PJ since 2003. I’ll be seeing them September 16 (Nashville) and 17 (Louisville). Can’t wait!

Please detail your next PJ shows here. I’d like to hear what you think! Thanks!

I love Red Mosquito on No Code. Nice guitar work.

Date: July 5, 2022 15:45

Bit surprised you haven’t seen them since 2003 — same as me.

I felt No Code more garage than grunge — that was intentional, I guess.

What do you make of the setlists of the Osaka shows, especially 2003? I’m not knowledgeable enough to judge them, obviously.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 5, 2022 16:03

Not the US, but seeing them in Krakow on the 14th. Looking forward! Great to be catching up with paulywaul too while in town.

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: July 5, 2022 16:13

Anyone here going to the Pearl Jam / Pixies pop up shop on Thursday? Trying to get a skate deck if anyone can help me out?

Date: July 5, 2022 16:15

RisingStone
Bit surprised you haven’t seen them since 2003 — same as me.

I felt No Code more garage than grunge — that was intentional, I guess.

What do you make of the setlists of the Osaka shows, especially 2003? I’m not knowledgeable enough to judge them, obviously.

They haven’t come to Nashville since 2003 (not counting at a tiny show at Jack White’s Third Man Records). I don’t travel much for shows.

Good call on No Code. I agree.

The 1995 setlist was similar to my 1994 show. Probably a very high energy gig. The 2003 one was heavy on Riot Act and Binaural (ones I listed for a change of sound and vibe), so that show probably had more of a below-the-surface tension as opposed to a full on energy blowout like your 1995 show, just based on the setlists.

Date: July 5, 2022 16:16

Topi
Not the US, but seeing them in Krakow on the 14th. Looking forward! Great to be catching up with paulywaul too while in town.

Gnarly. Let me know how the show goes please!

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: July 5, 2022 16:44

Hello Nashville Blues, I saw PJ this year in Berlin. In Berlin - Waldbühne - the show was short like verytime in Berlin because of the curfew.PJ played 2hours. In Frankfurt they played also 2 hours. But the setlist was amazing.One of the best. For the European Tour I can say short is good. But 2h is short for PJ.;-) Now I am waiting for the both Hyde Park Shows.

Date: July 5, 2022 16:57

NashvilleBlues
The 1995 setlist was similar to my 1994 show. Probably a very high energy gig. The 2003 one was heavy on Riot Act and Binaural (ones I listed for a change of sound and vibe), so that show probably had more of a below-the-surface tension as opposed to a full on energy blowout like your 1995 show, just based on the setlists.

Hi, thanks.

I think your observations re. Osaka shows are right. 2003 was more like a “deep cut night” and Eddie concentrated on singing rather than physical action.

Date: July 5, 2022 18:12

Mirko
Hello Nashville Blues, I saw PJ this year in Berlin. In Berlin - Waldbühne - the show was short like verytime in Berlin because of the curfew.PJ played 2hours. In Frankfurt they played also 2 hours. But the setlist was amazing.One of the best. For the European Tour I can say short is good. But 2h is short for PJ.;-) Now I am waiting for the both Hyde Park Shows.

Thanks for that! Have fun and please review the shows here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-05 18:13 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 5, 2022 20:33

Just saw them at Rock Werchter. Great show. Emotional as it waa the anniversary of Roskilde. Got a nice recording of it too.

Date: July 5, 2022 22:06

daspyknows
Just saw them at Rock Werchter. Great show. Emotional as it waa the anniversary of Roskilde. Got a nice recording of it too.

Yeah, I can imagine it was. Good to hear they’re still playing well. Like I said, it’s been almost 20 years since I last saw them. They have never disappointed me and I don’t think that’ll change this September. So looking forward to my back-to-back shows!

Date: July 9, 2022 12:30

Pearl Jam at Hyde Park #1. They took the stage at 20:08 and finished the show at 22:22 if I checked the time correctly. Approximate show length 2hrs and 15 mins.

The previous two times I saw PJ were at the 2400 seater. Last night it was Hyde Park. You couldn’t expect intimacy under such circumstances. Instead we got a huge stadium rock show and PJ was very good at that. A high-energy performance from beginning to end. As a nod to the UK punk legacy, they performed a snippet of God Save The Queen (“no future for you”) and a cover of Public Image, the PiL song, which stirred the crowd who remembered the days gone by.

I realized last night that there was something about Eddie Vedder that reminded me of Springsteen — the characteristics I didn’t feel or didn’t exist when I saw him umpteen years ago. Not sure if my view is justified, though. The difference is that the guitar is more prominent on the PJ show than on the Springsteen show, obviously.

The funniest moment came during the closer of the main set before the encore. Like Osaka 1995, the band launched into a long, intense jam. Eddie walked towards the massive, gigantic artificial tree that stands on the left side of the stage looked from the audience, its top reaching high up to the roof of the set — an icon of the British Summer Time festival since its start in 2013 (which was headlined by the Stones). He walked around it, looking it up. I thought, “this chap is trying to climb this monster!” His reckless attempt, however, ended in vain after he tried a few times and found there were no handholds he could hang on to.

One thing I noticed is that the event organizers oversold tickets for the Stones shows way too many. It seems to me that the number of the audience last night was about two thirds of the Stones, maybe even less. My rough guessing is Pearl Jam = 40,000/Stones = 6-70,000. No wonder the Stones days were so crammed with people.

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-09 13:25 by RisingStone.

Date: July 9, 2022 14:17

RisingStone
Pearl Jam at Hyde Park #1. They took the stage at 20:08 and finished the show at 22:22 if I checked the time correctly. Approximate show length 2hrs and 15 mins.

The previous two times I saw PJ were at the 2400 seater. Last night it was Hyde Park. You couldn’t expect intimacy under such circumstances. Instead we got a huge stadium rock show and PJ was very good at that. A high-energy performance from beginning to end. As a nod to the UK punk legacy, they performed a snippet of God Save The Queen (“no future for you”) and a cover of Public Image, the PiL song, which stirred the crowd who remembered the days gone by.

I realized last night that there was something about Eddie Vedder that reminded me of Springsteen — the characteristics I didn’t feel or didn’t exist when I saw him umpteen years ago. Not sure if my view is justified, though. The difference is that the guitar is more prominent on the PJ show than on the Springsteen show, obviously.

The funniest moment came during the closer of the main set before the encore. Like Osaka 1995, the band launched into a long, intense jam. Eddie walked towards the massive, gigantic artificial tree that stands on the left side of the stage looked from the audience, its top reaching high up to the roof of the set — an icon of the British Summer Time festival since its start in 2013 (which was headlined by the Stones). He walked around it, looking it up. I thought, “this chap is trying to climb this monster!” His reckless attempt, however, ended in vain after he tried a few times and found there were no handholds he could hang on to.

One thing I noticed is that the event organizers oversold tickets for the Stones shows way too many. It seems to me that the number of the audience last night was about two thirds of the Stones, maybe even less. My rough guessing is Pearl Jam = 40,000/Stones = 6-70,000. No wonder the Stones days were so crammed with people.

[www.setlist.fm]

You saw Breath? Lucky! One of my favorites. If they play that or Leash when I see them (both long shots, I know), it’ll be outstanding.

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: July 9, 2022 21:17

daspyknows

Could you imagine sharing it with us, daspy? I was at their Frankfurt (indoor) show which was also great and intimate. First time I had the chance to see them.

Date: July 10, 2022 14:19

NashvilleBlues
RisingStone

[www.setlist.fm]

You saw Breath? Lucky! One of my favorites. If they play that or Leash when I see them (both long shots, I know), it’ll be outstanding.

Breath one night then Leash the next? You guys hit the jackpot!

Date: July 11, 2022 04:26

I didn’t attend HP2. They played 22 songs both nights. And they changed whoppin’ 21 songs between two shows! Porch, the closer of the main set, was the only duplicated song.

Did anybody else here see the show(s)? yorkshirestone (and Mirko, perhaps?) posted that they would attend both. Hope to see their comments.

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 11, 2022 09:26

RisingStone
I didn’t attend HP2. They played 22 songs both nights. And they changed whoppin’ 21 songs between two shows! Porch, the closer of the main set, was the only duplicated song.

Did anybody else here see the show(s)? yorkshirestone (and Mirko, perhaps?) posted that they would attend both. Hope to see their comments.

[www.setlist.fm]

Was at HP2. Brilliant gig. In addition to Porch they also did Alive both nights. Academically I’d have preferred a few more post-Yield tracks, and it’s a bit odd that in the 2010 Hyde Park show they managed 8 more songs than this time. But when you’re there at the gig, none of the Trainspotting matters.

Date: July 11, 2022 10:59

You are right, I overlooked Alive. So they changed 20 songs between night 1 and 2. Impressive number, isn’t it? Can’t imagine the Stones doing the same.

PJ is certainly future Glastonbury headliner material.

[N.B. I checked setlist.fm and they played 27 songs at HP 2010, i.e. 5 songs more, not 8, than this time, if the information is correct — here comes a Trainspottergrinning smiley]

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-11 12:01 by RisingStone.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 11, 2022 23:32

Hello,

I was lucky enough to be at both Hyde Park nights...wow! Still processing the whole deal and in my usual long-winded way, am struggling to write anything coherent so here's a ton of photos instead. And yes, I am aware that they are a bit 'samey' but that's what happens when you only take the odd burst here-and-there!

Hyde Park...a mix of the two shows. Where to start, eh? Okay then, what did they play?

First night...

1. Better Man/Save It For Later
2. Low Light
3. Breath
4. Mind Your Manners
5. Save You
6. Quick Escape/God Save The Queen
7. In Hiding
8. Retrograde
9. Light Years
10. Even Flow
11. Unthought Known
12. Daughter/Good Woman
13. Superblood Wolfmoon
14. Given To Fly
15. Public Image
16. Once
17. Porch

Encore...

18. I’m The Answer with Simon Townshend
19. Jeremy
20. Indifference
21. Alive
22. Rocking In The Free World with Johnny Mac

So that's alright I suppose, right? Bit of a change for the next night...

1. Corduroy
2. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
3. Why Go
4. Deep
5. Wishlist/Waiting On A Friend
6. Garden
7. Throw Your Hatred Down with Johnny Marr
8. Do The Evolution
9. Animal
10. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
11. Not For You
12. Rats
13. Faithful
14. State Of Love And Trust
15. Eruption
16. Black
17. Porch

Encore...

18. River Cross
19. Leash
20. Alive
21. Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing
22. Baba O’Riley with Johnny Marr

These were my fourth and fifth PJ shows and it's safe to call me a tourist: I only owned a couple of their albums...Ebay has since seen to that sitch!
Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that if it's a really special live band or artist that you're watching and there's clearly some kind of bond between them and their audience then somehow it doesn't seem to matter so much whether you know all the songs or not.

That's not to say that the fans around me weren't knocked-out by the song choices: apparently their ace geetahrist Mike McCready was out mingling with the diehards as they queued to get on the rail and asked them what numbers they wanted to hear. He made a point later that night by pointing to them and throwing them picks and wristbands. Similarly EV dispensed with a few tambourines to a lucky few. The customer is king, right?

Certainly when it comes to PJ they do have a bond and shared history with their fans that few others could claim: Roskilde, the TicketMaster stand-off are part of their story. EV also is aware of the responsibility that he has but also that the crowd shares for looking-out for one another. Mind you, seeing as how it was a festival show in a Capital, you got your fair share of entitled, pissed-up c**ts and event junkies. I'm pretty sure the proportion would be a lot less at a regular show...

EV did stop the second show early to allow someone who had fainted to get exoress medical attention, imploring the crowd to move aside to let the paramedics in, pronto. Once the okay was given then we're up and running again. Bueno!

Guest spots are sometimes a double-edged sword but it was a brilliant and bizarre surprise getting Johnny Mac on for an always welcome 'Rockin' In The Free World'…he was in dreamland as well as wearing a Who tee shirt. Good behaviour, John.

Eddie still channels his hero PT with the odd windmill and leap as well as a few impassioned speeches, notably on gun control, Ukraine and so-called Leaders spreading lies and disinformation. Ed speaks for me.

He knows how to pace a show alright, both in terms of songs and mood. He paid tribute to Alan Rogan who had worked with...well, who hadn't he worked with? There was also an English PJ lifer called Donna who had passed away due to cancer and whose mates were in the crowd- EV did what he could to make that moment matter. Blimey.

Johnny Marr is always a top turn and the band loved having him guest…couldn’t tell what song mind, hah-hah!

HP wouldn’t be my first choice of venue but the organisation was decent, as was the sound. And I was sent away grinning as the final song played was an ecstatic (is there any other kind?) 'Baba O'Riley'...Ed and Co., you'll do for me!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-19 21:03 by SimonN.

Date: July 12, 2022 02:28

So vivid images — many thanks for that.

Note Mike McCready wearing the 2013 Stones at Hyde Park “butterfly” T-shirt on night #1. I was wearing that on both Stones at HP dates this time. To my surprise, I came across nobody in the same T-shirt, not even one on either date. Did anybody see one?

Posted by: Nellcote1971 ()
Date: July 20, 2022 20:37

Bummer. Pearl Jam in Vienna cancelled tonight "due to the extreme circumstances at the last outdoor site outside of Paris (heat, dust, and smoke from the fires)".
Hoping Mick is alright after Lyon...

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: July 20, 2022 21:17

Fingers crossed for the concerts in Amsterdam on Sunday and Monday.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 21, 2022 04:56

If there is any band that will pull the plug due to fan safety its Pearl Jam. They had the Roskilde tragedy and Eddie Vedder is acutely aware of fan safety. He stopped the set at Rock Werchter multiple times to check on whether people in the crowd were ok. He is no Travis Scott.

Date: July 21, 2022 16:57

SimonN edited his post above recently and added a review, which nicely complements my comment. It gives a clue why I felt Eddie reminded me of Springsteen — good American liberal he is.
Due to my incapability of English listening, I didn’t fully understand Eddie’s speech when a woman’s face was projected on both side screens, except that her name was Donna, 42 years old and from Bedford (if I understood correctly), but made a guess that she was a dedicated fan and no longer with us. Simon’s post confirmed that, sadly. Thought she was quite a beautiful woman. And that was a moment I felt Eddie changed a huge open-air concert to something personal. Kudos to him.

RIP Donna.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-21 17:00 by RisingStone.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 21, 2022 17:15

I had the pleasure of seeing both nights at HP (great photos above Simon, thanks). Couple of reflections -

-This was a terrific weekend for me, eurostar to see the stones on monday too
- pricing; ten club golden circle 130 quid for the two nights, that's how to look after your fans
- setlist: 42 songs over 2 nights (only Porch and ALive duplicated). INcluded some personal favouurites inc Leash and Wishlist
- support acts, some great music in particular Cat Power, Imelda May, Pixies, Johnny Marr
- GC crowd, good natured and whilst sold out, clearly not as over sold as Stones HP2 i was at the previous weekend
- PJ: wow. These were my 5th and 6th PJ gigs, whilst 2.15 hours is less than the previous ones the quality was excellent.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 21, 2022 21:12

Prague is also cancelled

[twitter.com]

So I really have my doubts for Amsterdam Sunday

Date: July 21, 2022 21:50

yorkshirestone
I had the pleasure of seeing both nights at HP (great photos above Simon, thanks). Couple of reflections -

-This was a terrific weekend for me, eurostar to see the stones on monday too
- pricing; ten club golden circle 130 quid for the two nights, that's how to look after your fans
- setlist: 42 songs over 2 nights (only Porch and ALive duplicated). INcluded some personal favouurites inc Leash and Wishlist
- support acts, some great music in particular Cat Power, Imelda May, Pixies, Johnny Marr
- GC crowd, good natured and whilst sold out, clearly not as over sold as Stones HP2 i was at the previous weekend
- PJ: wow. These were my 5th and 6th PJ gigs, whilst 2.15 hours is less than the previous ones the quality was excellent.

They played my top 2 live choices: Breath and Leash (good taste there Yorkshire!). Hoping to see at least one in Nashville or Louisville.

Here’s a funny old live Breath. Check out Eddie’s basketball passing skills! Not the best performance or recording, but cool nevertheless.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 21, 2022 23:33

Satan's Bed was the one I always got. I believe I heard back in 93 (VS is actually my favorite PJ album including Ten) Never got Breathe though. Still a top ten PJ song for me though.

Date: July 21, 2022 23:43

TumblinDice76
Satan's Bed was the one I always got. I believe I heard back in 93 (VS is actually my favorite PJ album including Ten) Never got Breathe though. Still a top ten PJ song for me though.

Vs is my favorite, too. So much energy.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home