Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: Pearl Jam. Kings of Interesting Setlists
Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 9, 2022 18:00

RaiseTheKnife
Well most of their songs are pretty interchangeable anyway so I don't think the audience cares as long as they play Alive, Even Flow and a few others.

Yep, heavy handed, simple minded, grunge rock without any intricacies. What a boring band.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 9, 2022 18:02

Man not when I saw PJ in the late 90s. Worked at a radio station from 98-08. I've even seen Pearl Jam shows at Alpine Valley on the Yield tour that clocked in at an hour and 40 minutes long. The Mule at the same time were playing 3 hour shows with different sets nightly. Yes, Binuaral came out in 2000. Typing on a phone at work with 46 year old fingers. Sometimes 2000 comes out as 2020. And I saw Govt Mule in 1998.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 9, 2022 18:04

RaiseTheKnife
Well most of their songs are pretty interchangeable anyway so I don't think the audience cares as long as they play Alive, Even Flow and a few others.

Interchangeable? Not if you know the songs. They aren't AC/DC (who I like).

Date: June 9, 2022 18:09

TumblinDice76
Man not when I saw PJ in the late 90s. Worked at a radio station from 98-08. I've even seen Pearl Jam shows at Alpine Valley on the Yield tour that clocked in at an hour and 40 minutes long. The Mule at the same time were playing 3 hour shows with different sets nightly. Yes, Binuaral came out in 2000. Typing on a phone at work with 46 year old fingers. Sometimes 2000 comes out as 2020. And I saw Govt Mule in 1998.

Looking at the late 90's setlists, PJ still mixed it up. Please provide proof. [www.setlist.fm]

Date: June 9, 2022 18:26

EasterMan
RaiseTheKnife

Yep, heavy handed, simple minded, grunge rock without any intricacies. What a boring band.

Not liking them is fine, but it sounds like you're uninformed on the variety of their music. It varies as much as The Rolling Stones music, although they're no radiohead or David Bowie. They're among my least favorite PJ albums, but Binaural and Riot Act are a departure from Ten and Vs.

Date: June 9, 2022 18:29

Saw PJ 7 times in the late 90s. Don't care to look each one. If I rember right they had some sort of formula or rotation where you didn't get the same set in back to back nights. However it was very possible to see a duplicate setlist. On the other hand Widespread Panic and Phish actually kept spreadsheets of setlists so they never played rhe same songs in suspension more than once which seems a bit much.

Date: June 9, 2022 18:38

TumblinDice76
Saw PJ 7 times in the late 90s. Don't care to look each one. If I rember right they had some sort of formula or rotation where you didn't get the same set in back to back nights. However it was very possible to see a duplicate setlist. On the other hand Widespread Panic and Phish actually kept spreadsheets of setlists so they never played rhe same songs in suspension more than once which seems a bit much.

C'mon man. Just say you were wrong. It's ok. I do it all the time. It didn't kill me. "I'm still Alive!" winking smiley

Date: June 9, 2022 18:45

Nashville, if it makes you feel better "I was wrong Pearl Jam are the KINGS of setlists" Cometely unique setlists every night from day One. They even inspired such noted touring roadwarriors like The Grateful Dead and Phish to copy their touring setlist template". On a serious note your obviously a bigger PJ fan then I am. I still have an unopened bottle of their Faithful Ale. If you were interested I'd be willing to part with. I still hVe a friend who has the Best Buy exclusive live album from 1998 that ended up getting pulled before it was released and a few went "missing" before they were returned. Don't think he'll part with that but...maybe in a few years.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 9, 2022 18:47

NashvilleBlues
TumblinDice76

C'mon man. Just say you were wrong. It's ok. I do it all the time. It didn't kill me. "I'm still Alive!" winking smiley

He's certainly wrong, PJ has been doing this for MANY years, and hence why they sell tons of 'official bootlegs', even from the 90s, because die hard fans (I am not one, I just enjoy them - only saw them live once) know they are getting variety w/ each one.

Date: June 9, 2022 18:48

NashvilleBlues
EasterMan
RaiseTheKnife

Not liking them is fine, but it sounds like you're uninformed on the variety of their music...
Agree, totally moronic comment and certainly by someone that has never listened to them, obviously (other than maybe a couple radio hits).

Date: June 9, 2022 18:53

LeonidP I was referring to pre 2000. I didn't disagree that for the last 22 years they have. I've seen PJ multiple times post 2,000 and each show is unique (not always a good thing) My point that seems to be lost was that they were simply following the jam bamd template for setlists that the Dead, Phish, and WSP was doing long before PJ was. That is not debatable. Last time I ever comment in a PJ thread good Lord.....

Date: June 9, 2022 19:09

TumblinDice76
Nashville, if it makes you feel better "I was wrong Pearl Jam are the KINGS of setlists" Cometely unique setlists every night from day One. They even inspired such noted touring roadwarriors like The Grateful Dead and Phish to copy their touring setlist template". On a serious note your obviously a bigger PJ fan then I am. I still have an unopened bottle of their Faithful Ale. If you were interested I'd be willing to part with. I still hVe a friend who has the Best Buy exclusive live album from 1998 that ended up getting pulled before it was released and a few went "missing" before they were returned. Don't think he'll part with that but...maybe in a few years.

No ill-will here. Just trying to get the facts straight. I appreciate the offer on the ale. You seem to be pretty down-to-earth. Thanks for not taking it to a hateful level.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 9, 2022 19:14

NashvilleBlues
Take a gander at what more bands should do with their setlists:

[www.setlist.fm]

Keeps the band and crowd interested. Plus, gives fans more of a reason to follow them on tour.

I know Dead and Co. do this, who else, of note, currently does this?

Why not more bands?

Because most people aren't bringing spreadsheets to concerts. Most people just go to one show. Most bands aren't selling every concert and even the ones who do, most people aren't buying (but having different setlists helps sell).

At least the show I saw had several songs from their first album, the only one I remember.

And is it just the way he comes across or is Eddie Vedder really as dumb as he sounds?

Date: June 9, 2022 19:18

NashvilleBlues. Drive By Truckers are another one that mix it up a bit too. Kind of a bit of a rotating formula for them setlist wise. Even if your not familiar with their music their great live. No hate because no need for hate. For 10 years I got to see just about every bamd that came through, IL, IN, WI and IA and a few in MI. Saw a lot of eclectic bands. Some shows I liked some I didn't. But never passed up free tix for a concert. Logged a lot of miles on the road, lost a lot of brain cells and met a LOT of interesting people.

Date: June 9, 2022 19:28

TumblinDice76
NashvilleBlues. Drive By Truckers are another one that mix it up a bit too. Kind of a bit of a rotating formula for them setlist wise. Even if your not familiar with their music their great live. No hate because no need for hate. For 10 years I got to see just about every bamd that came through, IL, IN, WI and IA and a few in MI. Saw a lot of eclectic bands. Some shows I liked some I didn't. But never passed up free tix for a concert. Logged a lot of miles on the road, lost a lot of brain cells and met a LOT of interesting people.

I'm jealous. Which little-known live bands impressed you most?

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: June 9, 2022 19:36

Yes, I would partly agree, PJ does a pretty good job in mixing up the setlists. But I would not say kings of setlist changes or anything. Still play Even Flow every night, good bathroom break, i guess.

The last ten years or so, same old closers though, but still enjoyable. The set list variation is the reason I've seen them 62 times since 1994. However, I have lost a lot of interest in the last few years, getting too old!

Date: June 9, 2022 19:40

Cross Candaian Ragweed was really good. A 90s rock band out of LA called UPO stuck with me. As far as big bands go seeing Radiohead of the Hail to the Thief tour stood out. Seeing Page & Plant was awesome because I never got to see Zeppelin so that was as close as I'll get. The Who when Entwhistle was still alive. Iggy Pop blew me away too. The ones I missed out on were The Replacements with the original four and The Kinks.

Date: June 9, 2022 19:47

TumblinDice76
Cross Candaian Ragweed was really good. A 90s rock band out of LA called UPO stuck with me. As far as big bands go seeing Radiohead of the Hail to the Thief tour stood out. Seeing Page & Plant was awesome because I never got to see Zeppelin so that was as close as I'll get. The Who when Entwhistle was still alive. Iggy Pop blew me away too. The ones I missed out on were The Replacements with the original four and The Kinks.

Thanks! thumbs up

Re: OT: Pearl Jam US Tour 2022
Date: June 9, 2022 20:30

Odd merge.

Date: June 10, 2022 06:06

TumblinDice76
LeonidP I was referring to pre 2000. I didn't disagree that for the last 22 years they have. I've seen PJ multiple times post 2,000 and each show is unique (not always a good thing) My point that seems to be lost was that they were simply following the jam bamd template for setlists that the Dead, Phish, and WSP was doing long before PJ was. That is not debatable. Last time I ever comment in a PJ thread good Lord.....

Yes, Tumblin, it was clear what you were saying. We're just saying you're wrong, they did similar in the 90s too. And why would you say you won't comment anymore? you can still say what you wish, we can point out if it is not accurate.

Posted by: Pearl66 ()
Date: June 19, 2022 01:24

PJ just played Street Fighting Man at Pinkpop festival, the Netherlands. I was soooo hypedsmiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 19, 2022 02:03

Pearl66
PJ just played Street Fighting Man at Pinkpop festival, the Netherlands. I was soooo hypedsmiling bouncing smiley

Gnarly! How was it? About to look for it now…

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: June 19, 2022 11:36

NashvilleBlues
Pearl66

Gnarly! How was it? About to look for it now…

This is what Eddie said ;

" We rehearsed for a day in the Ziggo Dome, and heard that they had cancelled. They will still play in the Netherlands in July, but we will play one so you don't have to wait that long.'

Date: June 19, 2022 13:57

I’ve posted 5 vids of the song on my instagram. But not that good quality: [instagram.com]

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: June 19, 2022 16:06

Pearl66
I’ve posted 5 vids of the song on my instagram. But not that good quality: [instagram.com]

Can you post them here? Don't have I stagram.

Date: June 19, 2022 17:12

video: [instagram.com]

I am trying, just don’t know how because I somehow can only post URLS to youtube or something

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2022 17:12

EasterMan
RaiseTheKnife

Imho they died when they parted with the only drummer that gave them some (much needed) swing : Dave Abbruzzese.

The current one - Matt Cameron - has as much swing as a hearse going to the cemetery.

Date: June 19, 2022 17:29

dcba
EasterMan
RaiseTheKnife

Imho they died when they parted with the only drummer that gave them some (much needed) swing : Dave Abbruzzese.

The current one - Matt Cameron - has as much swing as a hearse going to the cemetery.

Saw them with Dave A. Immeasurable energy that show. But that was 1994. Matt Cameron, like him or not, is highly acclaimed. His work with Soundgarden is sublime. That said, Vs is my favorite PJ album. Mainly because I love Stone Gossard’s writing over Eddie Vedder’s. But Dave A’s drumming was a big part of the crazy energy.

Example: Leash live at Pinkpop.
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 5, 2022 10:24

My Stones trip is over. HP 1 & 2, just two attendances. The former damn fine show and the latter just fine. Wish I could do more, like a number of other folks on this board. So envious of them but you can’t always get what you want.

That does not mean the end of my concert-going, though. The Stones are gone from Hyde Park, but in coming are Pearl Jam. They will take the festive stage of BST this weekend, Friday and Saturday. Let me tell you about my rather limited PJ experiences.

Pearl Jam toured Japan only twice, in 1995 and 2003. I caught them both times, in Osaka. The venue was the Koseinenkin Kaikan, a 2400 seater, on both occasions.

I am by no means a keen fan — can’t bring myself to get my hands on their entire catalogue. Their songs often sound samey to my ears, and to some degree I can understand someone’s comment above that most of their songs are pretty interchangeable.

That being said, both of the shows I attended were simply astonishing. The performance was powerful and spontaneous all the way through, keeping momentum during the show time (2 hours in 1995 and 2 and a half hours in 2003), never a dull moment. And Eddie Vedder’s star quality was beaming all around, even though he isn’t my favorite singer, admittedly. I vividly recall, during the encore of the 1995 show, while the band was launching into a long jam, Eddie began to climb the wall with bare hands, moving upwards. We all watched this unexpected stunt, holding our breath. When he eventually got to the second, top balcony and set foot on there, explosive applause and cheers erupted from the audience. If he wasn’t given a severe admonition by the promoters or the venue staff afterwords, I would be very surprised. To be honest with you, I was shocked to hear they were allowed to play at the same venue on their second Osakan visit.

There were lots of followers from abroad on the 2003 show, Aussies in particular. They were thrilled to see the band performing at such a small, intimate venue, and reported on the internet forum that the setlist of the Osaka show was full of surprises and one of the most unusual they had ever seen.

My experiences being as such, Pearl Jam is a band I feel like catching live whenever comes a chance, even though I am not keen on the albums. I am attending their BST show on Friday — the Pixies, one of my favorite bands picked for the lineup, are the icing on the cake!

PJ’s setlists from the Osaka shows:

1995: [www.setlist.fm]

2003: [www.setlist.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-05 10:36 by RisingStone.

Date: July 5, 2022 14:29

RisingStone
My Stones trip is over. HP 1 & 2, just two attendances. The former damn fine show and the latter just fine. Wish I could do more, like a number of other folks on this board. So envious of them but you can’t always get what you want.

That does not mean the end of my concert-going, though. The Stones are gone from Hyde Park, but in coming are Pearl Jam. They will take the festive stage of BST this weekend, Friday and Saturday. Let me tell you about my rather limited PJ experiences.

Pearl Jam toured Japan only twice, in 1995 and 2003. I caught them both times, in Osaka. The venue was the Koseinenkin Kaikan, a 2400 seater, on both occasions.

I am by no means a keen fan — can’t bring myself to get my hands on their entire catalogue. Their songs often sound samey to my ears, and to some degree I can understand someone’s comment above that most of their songs are pretty interchangeable.

That being said, both of the shows I attended were simply astonishing. The performance was powerful and spontaneous all the way through, keeping momentum during the show time (2 hours in 1995 and 2 and a half hours in 2003), never a dull moment. And Eddie Vedder’s star quality was beaming all around, even though he isn’t my favorite singer, admittedly. I vividly recall, during the encore of the 1995 show, while the band was launching into a long jam, Eddie began to climb the wall with bare hands, moving upwards. We all watched this unexpected stunt, holding our breath. When he eventually got to the second, top balcony and set foot on there, explosive applause and cheers erupted from the audience. If he wasn’t given a severe admonition by the promoters or the venue staff afterwords, I would be very surprised. To be honest with you, I was shocked to hear they were allowed to play at the same venue on their second Osakan visit.

There were lots of followers from abroad on the 2003 show, Aussies in particular. They were thrilled to see the band performing at such a small, intimate venue, and reported on the internet forum that the setlist of the Osaka show was full of surprises and one of the most unusual they had ever seen.

My experiences being as such, Pearl Jam is a band I feel like catching live whenever comes a chance, even though I am not keen on the albums. I am attending their BST show on Friday — the Pixies, one of my favorite bands picked for the lineup, are the icing on the cake!

PJ’s setlists from the Osaka shows:

1995: [www.setlist.fm]

2003: [www.setlist.fm]

Funny how those who think their songs sound the same do not have more than an album or 2. Delve deeper! Try Riot Act and Binaural. Glad you love them live though!

Eddie used to jump from high places all the time. Here’s a great clip from their PJ20 documentary. Check at 1:55 when the crowd collapsed. That’s how packed it was at my first ever rock show. PJ 1994 Murfreesboro.

[m.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home