Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Old Mixes of 100 years ago and Heartbreaker - Thoughts?
Posted by: TurnerP ()
Date: March 7, 2022 06:40

Yeah, this is gonna look bad to those from Rocks Off. Its alright, I'm just trying to figure out what these are.

I apologise these clips are short, I have the full versions but as of now I believe these are enough to hear what I'm wondering about. I came across these and transferred them to digital and I can't decide if they're old mixes or not. They were on cassette originally and it sounds like there is another vocal track aside from the average two. What do you guys think? Am I correct on this?

-100 years ago
[we.tl]

-Heartbreaker
[we.tl]

Re: Old Mixes of 100 years ago and Heartbreaker - Thoughts?
Posted by: jcstone47 ()
Date: March 7, 2022 07:11

So you have my full attention. Of all the shows I've seen, it adds up to 99 different songs from their catalog. I just noticed this year that Heartbreaker was missing from my list. I have some deep track requests like Salt of the Earth, Jigsaw Puzzle and Memo from Turner. I wouldn't have guessed Heartbreaker would be so elusive.

Love 100 years ago. LOVE GHS.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: March 7, 2022 07:45

There is an additional vocal track on both songs. It doesn't sound real to me to be honest and I have my doubts, because both versions are completely finished, as far as I can hear that on these snippets Did they really ad another vocal track? I might of course be totally wrong. Thanks for sharing.

Date: March 7, 2022 09:51

"Of all the shows I've seen, it adds up to 99 different songs from their catalog. I just noticed this year that Heartbreaker was missing from my list. I have some deep track requests like Salt of the Earth, Jigsaw Puzzle and Memo from Turner."

I hear what you're saying but I'm not quite understanding it. So what you're telling me is you've never heard Heartbreaker on a live show? They've done it on L.A forum most notably among others. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, also are you having a hard time finding those other three songs or you just haven't heard them until recently? Guess I'm reading into this wrong but let me know whatever the case may be.

"There is an additional vocal track on both songs. It doesn't sound real to me to be honest and I have my doubts, because both versions are completely finished, as far as I can hear that on these snippets Did they really ad another vocal track? I might of course be totally wrong. Thanks for sharing."

I thought the same thing. Its odd they sound finished, perhaps this is something done that was finished but scrapped? Or maybe someone was playing around with it? I know when they did finish songs back then (like rocks off although an earlier example) they would play around with the volume of the backing tracks etc. And even that would sound, or could've sounded like the finished song if they had finished it that way. Sounds confusing but if you've ever seen the clip of that fan that got to partake at that one exhibition or what have you of what it was like to mix rocks off, he got to hear what seemed like all kinds of different versions just by playing with the mixing board. So maybe someone was somehow mixing this up and finalising it themselves using the final version we know while using some other type of backing track and brining it to the foreground or something.

Date: March 7, 2022 10:44

jcstone47
So you have my full attention. Of all the shows I've seen, it adds up to 99 different songs from their catalog. I just noticed this year that Heartbreaker was missing from my list. I have some deep track requests like Salt of the Earth, Jigsaw Puzzle and Memo from Turner. I wouldn't have guessed Heartbreaker would be so elusive.

Love 100 years ago. LOVE GHS.

Did you miss the VL-tour?

If they'll play Memo From Turner it would have to be the demo-version from Metamorphosis, as the other version is Mick solo. It's highly unlikely that this would happen. Would have been great, though smiling smiley

Date: March 7, 2022 11:02

Absolutely didn't miss voodoo lounge no - I see what you mean now. Yes it would have been everything to get a live memo from Turner. My name isn't Turner Purple for nothing. I pleaded it would be done this year but instead I got the excerpt from the movie, oh you know "you'd better come on, in my kitchen.." during midnight rambler which is side by side at the top of my list in songs along with memo. I couldn't agree more. There is 3 versions of Memo however, if you didn't know that already

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: March 7, 2022 11:21

Can these be after the recent new version of Down/Meet me in the bottom another pair of Fully Finished Studio Outtakes?

Date: March 7, 2022 11:21

TurnerP
Absolutely didn't miss voodoo lounge no - I see what you mean now. Yes it would have been everything to get a live memo from Turner. My name isn't Turner Purple for nothing. I pleaded it would be done this year but instead I got the excerpt from the movie, oh you know "you'd better come on, in my kitchen.." during midnight rambler which is side by side at the top of my list in songs along with memo. I couldn't agree more. There is 3 versions of Memo however, if you didn't know that already

First, welcome aboard! thumbs up

It was jcstone47 that missed Heartbreaker in concert, methinks.

The clips of 100 Years Ago and Heartbreaker sound like bad takes of double-tracked lead vocals.

There are only two officially released versions of MFT. However, it would really have been out of left field fun if the Stones did a bootleg-version live in concert smiling smiley

Date: March 7, 2022 12:51

"First, welcome aboard! thumbs up
It was jcstone47 that missed Heartbreaker in concert, methinks.
The clips of 100 Years Ago and Heartbreaker sound like bad takes of double-tracked lead vocals.
There are only two officially released versions of MFT. However, it would really have been out of left field fun if the Stones did a bootleg-version live in concert smiling smiley"

Yes thank you for the welcoming! It took me quite some time to get in here and it happened to be a major feet to some extent so I'm glad to've finally made it.

Ah right he meant list of the songs he got to experience live not what he's heard live from recordings like videos etc. that had me jumbled up for a minute - Yes only two officially but then you've got the third version as in the one outside of the track in the movie and the other on meto. Personally speaking three holds a special place but the original is ever enchanting.

And yeah maybe they were bad takes sounds a bit shakey, but outtakes do have a particular charm, speaking of which in response to the above statement -

"Can these be after the recent new version of Down/Meet me in the bottom another pair of Fully Finished Studio Outtakes?"

Hmm yeah that would be cool, a possibility perhaps - and a reasonable explanation as to why it's finished

Date: March 7, 2022 13:05

Guess we'll see when more's to come, and that meet me in the bottom was great to add -!

Posted by: jcstone47 ()
Date: March 8, 2022 04:07

Yes, of my 30+ shows, I never heard heartbreaker live. Nor have I heard any from my wish list… memo, jigsaw or salt. I wouldn’t mind and of them being my 100th live tune. After years of no filter, I wish the fan vote wasn’t my best bet to hear something different. My husband thinks I’m nuts traveling from continent to continent to hear the same setlist. Chasing a dream

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 8, 2022 04:22

jcstone47
Yes, of my 30+ shows, I never heard heartbreaker live. Nor have I heard any from my wish list… memo, jigsaw or salt. I wouldn’t mind and of them being my 100th live tune. After years of no filter, I wish the fan vote wasn’t my best bet to hear something different. My husband thinks I’m nuts traveling from continent to continent to hear the same setlist. Chasing a dream

You will never hear those songs live.

With two exceptions:

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 8, 2022 19:41

Whatever those overdub vocals are sound fake to me.

Date: March 8, 2022 20:04

You're suspecting overdubs? Guess that isn't a bad guess. Maybe whomever sent this to me didn't know what they had or something but the vocals weave in and out so oddly I hardly thought of that especially with what I was told. It almost sounds like a way younger mick is in it but I don't see how that could've been possible. I think I could try asking the source what their source is instead of your guy's opinion but something tells me they probably don't know much else either. Well it'd suck if they are fake dubs but it's still interesting nonetheless, even more so if they are real lol. Maybe I'm just weird

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 8, 2022 20:11

TurnerP
You're suspecting overdubs? Guess that isn't a bad guess. Maybe whomever sent this to me didn't know what they had or something but the vocals weave in and out so oddly I hardly thought of that especially with what I was told. It almost sounds like a way younger mick is in it but I don't see how that could've been possible. I think I could try asking the source what their source is instead of your guy's opinion but something tells me they probably don't know much else either. Well it'd suck if they are fake dubs but it's still interesting nonetheless, even more so if they are real lol. Maybe I'm just weird

Not weird at all! I'd be interested too if I found something that could potentially be a new find. To me it sounds like someone recorded their own voice using a program and added it to the track. The overdub doesn't sound professional or like Mick at all.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 8, 2022 20:13

Just had a brief listen....how anybody can think that's Mick Jagger is a wonder

Date: March 8, 2022 20:53

Here's how the tape looked if it's any indication, well some people seemed to I'm not so sure hence my asking. Maybe if he was a girl perhaps am I right bwahaha

[imgur.com]

Date: March 8, 2022 20:54

Just realised the photos look like garbage after making them a collage. Oh well tape does too so meh

Date: March 8, 2022 20:57

Oh and - alot of scrapped stuff or atleast older can hardly sound professional as far as recording goes with "Windmill" as an example albeit a bootleg but ya know. Sometimes even the studio stuff on outtake compilations are nearly unlistenable aside from it being the stones

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 11, 2022 21:59

They sound like bullshit to me. Somebody with a computer and Rip-X or some other frequency separating program.

Date: March 12, 2022 01:09

Well good to know, I got it in a lot of a bunch of other weird tapes that had Zeppelin things like this as well so who knows

Posted by: okenny ()
Date: March 12, 2022 03:33

My guess is that the backing track is no different than a fully finished product, so it was processed from a state where only MJ's vocals could be extracted, like the "Let It Bleed" isolate track.
If there is no isolate track available for "Goats", then the vocals were processed and mixed with the official track using an effects processor that can extract only the vocal track. This trend is the same with "Heartbreaker" and "100 Years".

Posted by: Rambler62 ()
Date: March 12, 2022 05:07

I think that's a living room recording! Boring!!!

Date: March 12, 2022 05:23

I think that's a living room recording! Boring!!!

Living room recording as in you think someone recorded the songs by playing the song out loud on a stereo or something and then recording it into a tape recorder? If so that is pretty boring

Posted by: Rambler62 ()
Date: March 12, 2022 10:14

I think so.

Date: March 13, 2022 05:40

"My guess is that the backing track is no different than a fully finished product, so it was processed from a state where only MJ's vocals could be extracted, like the "Let It Bleed" isolate track.
If there is no isolate track available for "Goats", then the vocals were processed and mixed with the official track using an effects processor that can extract only the vocal track. This trend is the same with "Heartbreaker" and "100 Years".

I've never heard the isolated version of let it bleed and I can't seem to find it so if you could link me that'd be great. So what you're saying about the isolated vocals sounds pretty accurate as far as I'm able to hear. Maybe it's the same as what someone said about the frequencies being split, like they extracted his voice and make it higher and put it back over the original? Odd someone would do that on cassette. Maybe it was digitally put on the cassette or something and now I put it back to digital. That does cause a loss in overall quality so maybe that's why the extracted voice sounds lesser in quality than the original. It does sound complicated to have to extract a backing track so maybe that's why they did it, and then decided to put it in the foreground to hear what it would've been like if it were more prominent

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 13, 2022 12:22

okenny
My guess is that the backing track is no different than a fully finished product, so it was processed from a state where only MJ's vocals could be extracted, like the "Let It Bleed" isolate track.

My thoughts, too - I think you nailed it exactly. No genuine outtakes at all. Pure fakes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home