Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Brian Jones Multi-Instrumentalist facet
Date: March 14, 2022 10:02

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
I wonder what Andrew Loog Oldham contributed to As Tears Go By and other Jagger - Richards songs that he got a writers credit. Were they for the lyrics?Whereas Brian got none for songs like Ruby Tuesday and 2000 Light Years

Didn't he change the title - from as years go by - to as tears go by?
By that logic Ringo should have gotten writerscredit for A Hard Day’s Night, because Lennon said he came up with the phrase

Indeed. But I think that's all Oldham did with the track.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 14, 2022 13:59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-15 08:58 by His Majesty.

Posted by: lean2323 ()
Date: March 14, 2022 18:01

lean2323
His Majesty
There is no dulcimer or autoharp on Take It Or Leave It. There is a harpsichord with and without the lute stop engaged. Lute stop engaged for most of the song, disengaged for the chords heard during the la la la la sections.

It was correct first, in the chorus its harpsichord with stop and in the la la la part is nornal. Take it or leave it and Sittin on a fence would be the two songs that Brian record Harpsichord.

On Ruby Tuesday its Brian on the final recording playing main piano (apart of recorder)? Would be the only song that Brian recording on piano.

Im talking always on recording not if Brian plays in sessions. Its know that Brian plays piano on Between the Buttom & Stanic Majesties sessions, but did he record a piano on a Stones released song if Jack and Nicky were the piano respective designed to record? Beyond that, at least on Ruby Tuesday, could be 2 piano lines on the recording (one line recorded of Brian and one of Jack)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-14 18:03 by lean2323.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 14, 2022 18:46

Rocky Dijon

Now, what about I'd Much Rather Be with the Boys?

Didn't Andrew The Poet wrote the lyrics to that one? Did like, say, Mick's job.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-14 18:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 15, 2022 01:00

Mick said in an interview that he started learning to play the harmonica with Cyril Davies before the Stones formed.

Cyril Davies & His Rhythm & Blues All Stars - Preachin' The Blues - 1963

At about 2:20 Mick misses his que for his harmonica part on Little Red Rooster.

Cyril Davies, Charlie Watts and Alexis Korner

Rolling Stones perform onstage at the Angus pub in Soho, London, 1963. Visible are Mick Jagger (left)
and Charlie Watts (1941 - 2021), on drums. (Photo by Mark and Colleen Hayward)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-15 01:19 by exilestones.

Date: March 15, 2022 01:44

Charlie Watts in Blues Inc. with Cyril Davies (standing) and Alexis Korner (with guitar)

Date: March 15, 2022 01:45

Date: March 15, 2022 06:50

'Rolling Stones': Guitar, harmonica and percussion

'Rolling Stones 2': Guitar, keyboards and harmonica

'Out of Our Heads': Guitar, harmonica, organ and percussion

'Aftermath': Guitar, harmonica, marimba, bells, Appalachian dulcimer, sitar, koto, keyboards, percussion

'Between the Buttons': Guitar, piano, organ, electric dulcimer, percussion, harpsichord, kazoo, recorder, theremin, trumpet, trombone, tuba, saxophone, harmonica and sitar.

'Their Satanic Majesties Request': Mellotron, keyboards, electric dulcimer, recorder, percussion, theremin, concert harp, sitar, saxophone, flute, brass, bass guitar

'Beggars Banquet': Guitar, harmonica, mellotron, stiar, tamboura

'Let it Bleed': Autoharp, percussion.

So I make it 26 in total, or 28 if you count electric, acoustic and slide guitars as separate instruments. He is also credited with doing baking vocals on most of the above albums.

Date: March 15, 2022 08:57

These are wrong re what is on the album releases.

exilestones

'Rolling Stones 2': keyboards

'Aftermath': koto,

'Between the Buttons': theremin, trumpet, trombone, tuba, saxophone, and sitar.

'Their Satanic Majesties Request': theremin, concert harp, sitar, brass, bass guitar

The recurring errors forever. I give up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-15 13:05 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 15, 2022 09:07

exilestones

'Aftermath': Guitar, harmonica, marimba, bells, Appalachian dulcimer, sitar, koto, keyboards, percussion

'Between the Buttons': Guitar, piano, organ, electric dulcimer, percussion, harpsichord, kazoo, recorder, theremin, trumpet, trombone, tuba, saxophone, harmonica and sitar.

'Their Satanic Majesties Request': Mellotron, keyboards, electric dulcimer, recorder, percussion, theremin, concert harp, sitar, saxophone, flute, brass, bass guitar

So I make it 26 in total, or 28 if you count electric, acoustic and slide guitars as separate instruments. He is also credited with doing baking vocals on most of the above albums.

Sorry these credits are just about all bullshit.

Mathijs

Date: March 15, 2022 15:17

[www.youtube.com]

The opening soundtrack for the film Mord Und Totschlag/A Degree Of Murder.

At 1:16, Brian is playing the marimbas.

++++

Date: March 15, 2022 15:26

His Majesty
These are wrong re what is on the album releases.

exilestones

'Rolling Stones 2': keyboards

'Aftermath': koto,

'Between the Buttons': theremin, trumpet, trombone, tuba, saxophone, and sitar.

'Their Satanic Majesties Request': theremin, concert harp, sitar, brass, bass guitar

The recurring errors forever. I give up.

I'm sorry. Please do not give up. We need you!! You now better than me. I copied these errors.

His Majesty, we need you and Leandro to get everything corrected and complete. I think that is what we are doing here.

His Majesty, Please tell us which are these common mistakes. Tell us in CAPTIAL LETTERS. Tell us in BOLD print.

Please, as a favor, let's make a major issue over the common mistakes. Let's get our list correct.

I'm thinking Leandro could make a web page, one of this free web pages where there could be every song Brian played on. A photo of Brian playing each different instrument would be great to have on a web page.

His Majesty, please accept my apologies. We obviously need you! So, what are these common mistakes?

Date: March 15, 2022 15:49

Mathijs
exilestones

Sorry these credits are just about all bullshit.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs,

No apology necessary! I love when you set the record straight. You are the man! Thank you.

I'm glad to see you are on the team to get this information correct! Nice work!

Are there any issues with Leandro's list in the first post of this thread?

Thank you,
Exile Stones

p.s. OT - have you considered update your great 1973 Nasty Music aka Brussels/Wembley work. You did an awesome job. We need the updates!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: March 15, 2022 16:15

I'd say the best possible source to what Brian played is online already - namely His Majesty's "The Brian Jones Resource":

[brianjonesresource.wixsite.com]

Date: March 15, 2022 17:20

rootsman
I'd say the best possible source to what Brian played is online already - namely His Majesty's "The Brian Jones Resource":

[brianjonesresource.wixsite.com]

Wonderful page His Majesty!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-20 22:50 by lean2323.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 15, 2022 17:53

Mathijs
Oldham's credit is all about royalties, it's a business agreement. The same as Nanker/Phelge, which was setup by Oldham on orders of Allan Klein to get a more steady income out of the Stones.

I can't recall where, but somewhere it was claimed that Oldham's credit on "As Tears Go By" was for giving the song to Marianne to cut and for the title change.

Nanker/Phelge was set up nearly two years before Allen Klein became their manager and about nine months before they first had dealings with him in June 1964.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 18, 2022 22:30

His Majesty:

Great site you have, I haven't seen it before, although I've read many of your insights here over the last decade or so. Knowing you here, I believe the info on the site is quite trustworthy and well researched.

Interesting to see that you state that Brian plays acoustic guitar on Sympathy for the Devil. I've seen the pics from the '68 sessions where he has the Gibson Jumbo, but never noticed any of that on Beggars Banquet. Listening to Sympathy through headphones now (for the 100th time since I first heard it 30 years ago), I think I can hear it very faintly, for example at 1:46.

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: March 19, 2022 16:49

I think back then there were so many musicians that were playing together, experimenting and influencing Mick and Keith. It must've been such a fun time for those guys. They were like sponges and would've been successful with or without Brian. A little off topic, but if we are discussing who the greatest influences were musically and in fashion, I would have to say Mick Taylor and Bianca all the way. Those two helped separate the Stones sound and style more than anyone. No one played as beautifully or sophisticated as Mick T. and Bianca has a better sense of style than all other Stones women combined. Just my opinion smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2022 16:51

Re acoustic on Sympathy. I include it as it is something we know he played during the sessions, that it was recorded, but ultimately mixed out. It is slightly audible at times like you note.

Thanks re the site.. Note it is a work in progress and the information is open to change. It's been a while since I did anything on it. It needs tweaking and updating, but I've kind of ran out of steam in tandem with my interest in this project dropping.

The death of Charlie and later, Ian McDonald, another favourite musician of mine and one that I kind of got to know, has made me revaluate things. Better to put some time and focus on my own music and playing than that of Brian Jones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-19 17:05 by His Majesty.

Date: March 20, 2022 07:55

His Majesty
Re acoustic on Sympathy. I include it as it is something we know he played during the sessions, that it was recorded, but ultimately mixed out. It is slightly audible at times like you note.

Thanks re the site.. Note it is a work in progress and the information is open to change. It's been a while since I did anything on it. It needs tweaking and updating, but I've kind of ran out of steam in tandem with my interest in this project dropping.

The death of Charlie and later, Ian McDonald, another favourite musician of mine and one that I kind of got to know, has made me revaluate things. Better to put some time and focus on my own music and playing than that of Brian Jones.

smileys with beer

The Honky Tonk Blues [www.youtube.com]

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-20 22:51 by lean2323.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 20, 2022 22:37

His Majesty

Yeah, I can definitely sympathize with that (pun intended). We all get older and our focus move around a little even if the core interests remain mostly the same through the years. I know you have been listening to and researching '60s Stones a lot and it's not expected from anyone to do something at the same level of passion forever. But your site is still a valuable place, a good way for your findings to be shared, even if it's not updated often.

Date: March 27, 2022 09:34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home