Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Brian Jones Multi-Instrumentalist facet
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 8, 2022 17:46

retired_dog
Rocky Dijon
This is all silliness. All of them needed one another at the start as much as they needed management and promotion and opportunity and hunger and talent and luck. To speculate one member could have achieved the same with others or found their way on their own is ridiculous. They weren't Beethoven or Mozart. They were an R&B cover band that made good. Yes, they're amazing and yes, they deserve all that came their way, but the alignment of so many factors - musical chemistry, timing coming after The Beatles, just the right management & promotion, finding their way as performers and then songwriters. It is a one in a million chance or even greater to make it out of the pub circuit and then to have staying power. The factors that explain it are never about one or two people, it's all of them and everything that supported them and when and where they were in history. Change any of those factors and it would never be the same outcome.

Yep. So true. It's like the development of the universe after the Big Bang.

Didn’t you know? There never was a Big Bang … (according to some bright minds). Our Universe apparently evolved from a huge Black Hole. And that BH was just one of many others, creating other Universes which we will never see. Difficult to imagine, so it’s easier to stick to the Big Bang … or, as the Stones proclaimed “Biggest Bang” grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 8, 2022 17:48

Taylor1
what does he play on JJFlash[/quote

Just some rhythm guitar, right? The only thing still up in the air is whether Bill plays that cool little organ riff at the very end.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 8, 2022 17:51

Taylor1
what does he play on JJFlash

Guitar wise, most likely nothing that is audible. Which leaves us with percussion or the double tracked B harmonica blast which sounds like horns.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 8, 2022 17:53

Jagger and Richards would have been hugely successful in any band, just as Lennon and McCartney. They all are such huge intrinsic talents they would have become stars anyhow.

And I do not see Brian really as a multi-instrumentalist. To me a multi-instrumentalist is someone who really masters multiple instruments, whereas Brian only mastered one -the harmonica. He was fantastic at creating sounds and soundscapes, pushing ordinary songs into fantastically new directions. To me, someone like Paul McCartney is much more of a multi-instrumentalist, being one of the best bass players and singers ever, and being a very accomplished guitar and piano player.

Mathijs

Date: March 8, 2022 18:01

While it's debated whether the Stones individually would have been successful, something that's obvious is the look of the band. Brian was the sharp dresser while the others, minus Charlie, looked like whatever smelled fresh in the laundry hamper. As the band progressed they look like they took cues from Brian. Keith and Mick did with scarves and jewelry that followed, influenced by Anita Pallenberg, Brian's former couturier.

Date: March 8, 2022 18:23

There is only what happened. Debates about what ifs etc is just silly and meaningless.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 8, 2022 18:42

24FPS
While it's debated whether the Stones individually would have been successful, something that's obvious is the look of the band. Brian was the sharp dresser while the others, minus Charlie, looked like whatever smelled fresh in the laundry hamper. As the band progressed they look like they took cues from Brian. Keith and Mick did with scarves and jewelry that followed, influenced by Anita Pallenberg, Brian's former couturier.

After Brian, they may have been more stylish, but according to reports, they definitely didn't "smell fresh," at that time.

Posted by: lean2323 ()
Date: March 8, 2022 20:06

His Majesty
lean2323

- Sitar "Ain't Nothin' Wrong With That"&"My Little One" (Hendrix)

- Dulcimer ´"Citadel"´´2000 Light Years From Home´´

- Koto “Take It or Leave It.”"Ride On, Baby"

- Concert Harp "On with the Show"

- Sarod "Gomper"

- Organ "Back Street Girl"

- Mellotron"Gomper" ¨Degree of Murder¨ (movie soundtrack)

- Harpsichord ´´Ruby Tuesday´´

- Soprano Saxophone "Sing This All Together""On with the Show"´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´ " "Basement Flat"&"Summer with Monica" (McGough and McGear)

- Trumpet ´´She’s a Rainbow´´

- Oboe ´´Dandelion´´

- Tuba ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´

- Trombone ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´

- Shehnai "Gomper""Sing This All Together"

- Recorder ´"Back Street Girl"

- Euphonium "Is This What I Get For Loving You?" (Marianne Faithfull)

- Ocarina ´´Yellow Submarine´´ (Beatles)

- Marimba "Yesterday's Papers"

- Theremin ´´2000 Light Years From Home´´ "Sing This All Together"

These are all incorrect.

Thanks, I made a few corrections, but few things:

In “Take It or Leave It” & "Ride On, Baby" Brian plays Koto, in ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´ Brian plays an entire brass section for sure.

Can you confirm if Brian plays all this instrumetns (sitar, organ, recorder, autoharp, dulcimer, clarinet, harmonica) in Degree of Murder?

And the last one, from what I find Brian plays saxophone on Mcgear second album is this correct and ocarina in Beatles Yellow Submarine, can you confirm this?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 8, 2022 22:01

His Majesty
lean2323

- Sitar "Ain't Nothin' Wrong With That"&"My Little One" (Hendrix)

- Dulcimer ´"Citadel"´´2000 Light Years From Home´´

- Koto “Take It or Leave It.”"Ride On, Baby"

- Concert Harp "On with the Show"

- Sarod "Gomper"

- Organ "Back Street Girl"

- Mellotron"Gomper" ¨Degree of Murder¨ (movie soundtrack)

- Harpsichord ´´Ruby Tuesday´´

- Soprano Saxophone "Sing This All Together""On with the Show"´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´ " "Basement Flat"&"Summer with Monica" (McGough and McGear)

- Trumpet ´´She’s a Rainbow´´

- Oboe ´´Dandelion´´

- Tuba ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´

- Trombone ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´

- Shehnai "Gomper""Sing This All Together"

- Recorder ´"Back Street Girl"

- Euphonium "Is This What I Get For Loving You?" (Marianne Faithfull)

- Ocarina ´´Yellow Submarine´´ (Beatles)

- Marimba "Yesterday's Papers"

- Theremin ´´2000 Light Years From Home´´ "Sing This All Together"

These are all incorrect.

I was waiting for you to chime in. Yes, embarrassingly so!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 8, 2022 22:10

24FPS

Brian’s former ‘couturier’? Did you recollect the Daily Mail’s pics of her, circa late 2000’s? Whatever she had; she lost. I suspect she had some influence, certainly, but Mick and Keith need add no debt of gratitude to Brian and his entourage. My opinion only, of course.

Date: March 8, 2022 22:18

Big Al
24FPS

Brian’s former ‘couturier’? Did you recollect the Daily Mail’s pics of her, circa late 2000’s? Whatever she had; she lost. I suspect she had some influence, certainly, but Mick and Keith need add no debt of gratitude to Brian and his entourage. My opinion only, of course.

Doesn't matter. We're talking Brian's lifetime with the Stones, not some poor junkie's denouement 40 years later. Look at the way Brian is dressed in '66, '67, right before his downfall. These are looks Mick, and especially Keith, took up after Brian's spiral and death. Of course they owed that to Brian. Brian was a dandy. His look epitomized the swingin' 60s. He became more important to the Stones visually, than he did musically. I don't want to over or under emphasize Brian's contributions, just acknowledge what was real.

Date: March 8, 2022 22:48

24FPS
Brian was a dandy. His look epitomized the swingin' 60s. He became more important to the Stones visually, than he did musically.

Quite the opposite of Mick Taylor then.

Date: March 9, 2022 00:23

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
Brian was a dandy. His look epitomized the swingin' 60s. He became more important to the Stones visually, than he did musically.

Yes. Another aspect of why he never fit in. He was less mobile than Bill.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 9, 2022 02:27

Brian was instrumental as much as the Glimmer Twins in creating the sound of The Rolling Stones.It’s his most important achievement in the band.It’s interesting even His Majesty is not certain what he played on JJ Flash

Date: March 9, 2022 13:31

lean2323

In “Take It or Leave It” & "Ride On, Baby" Brian plays Koto, in ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´ Brian plays an entire brass section for sure.

Can you confirm if Brian plays all this instrumetns (sitar, organ, recorder, autoharp, dulcimer, clarinet, harmonica) in Degree of Murder?

And the last one, from what I find Brian plays saxophone on Mcgear second album is this correct and ocarina in Beatles Yellow Submarine, can you confirm this?

Despite owning a koto, there are thus far no known recordings of Brian playing one.

What many think is koto on Take It Or Leave It is actually a harpsichord with lute stop/string dampener engaged. The same setting was used on I Am Waiting and later on In Another Land and On With The Show, in this instance some think it's concert harp.

Brian or Keith played autoharp on Ride On Baby. No koto on the track.

The strings and brass on Something Happened To Me Yesterday were played by session musicians, arranged and conducted by Arthur Greenslade.

For his soundtrack Brian played sitar, organ, recorder, autoharp, dulcimer, harmonica and possibly the brief bits of slide guitar on a melobar. Despite one being present at atleast one session, there is no mellotron on the soundtrack.

The Brian Jones on the McGough and McGear album is the saxophonist from Liverpool band The Undertakers. Brian's involvement on Yellow Submarine has often been claimed, but never confirmed even by mega Beatles heads with access to Abbey Road paperwork etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-09 13:38 by His Majesty.

Date: March 9, 2022 13:33

Taylor1
It’s interesting even His Majesty is not certain what he played on JJ Flash

Certain he isn't any of the audible guitars.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 9, 2022 17:56

Mathijs
Jagger and Richards would have been hugely successful in any band, just as Lennon and McCartney. They all are such huge intrinsic talents they would have become stars anyhow.

And I do not see Brian really as a multi-instrumentalist. To me a multi-instrumentalist is someone who really masters multiple instruments, whereas Brian only mastered one -the harmonica. He was fantastic at creating sounds and soundscapes, pushing ordinary songs into fantastically new directions. To me, someone like Paul McCartney is much more of a multi-instrumentalist, being one of the best bass players and singers ever, and being a very accomplished guitar and piano player.

Mathijs

Toatally agree.

Though Brian was the first Stone I was a fan of.
He looked great and I did know nothing about who contributed what to a song
or who is a good or is a better musician than the other.
(Saw them live for the first time in 1967. Turned 15 that year)

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: March 9, 2022 20:12

As for Brian's style, I think he looked great but not that special for those times. Look at the pictures of the crowd in Swingin' 60s, you'll see lot of young men and women wearing same style. What I thought was really a bomb, was Jagger's red military jacket in 1966. Too bad we did not see it enough in color.

Date: March 9, 2022 21:08

24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

Garbage. To me the Stones are about music, not appearance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-09 21:16 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 9, 2022 21:31

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

Rubbish. Refuse. Filth. 'Still waitin' here for a single idea. Your clothes and your hair, I wore it last year....'

Date: March 9, 2022 21:38

Mariuana
As for Brian's style, I think he looked great but not that special for those times. Look at the pictures of the crowd in Swingin' 60s, you'll see lot of young men and women wearing same style. What I thought was really a bomb, was Jagger's red military jacket in 1966. Too bad we did not see it enough in color.

Please. The crowd followed his look. There was a great article reprinted in David Dalton's book about the Stones fifty years ago. It was about Brian's style. He was the first male to wear big jewelry, necklaces, and scarves. His pinstripe suit in 1966 was the height of fashion. Don't take away from Brian what he earned.

Date: March 10, 2022 00:50

24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

Rubbish. Refuse. Filth. 'Still waitin' here for a single idea. Your clothes and your hair, I wore it last year....'

More garbage.thumbs up

Date: March 10, 2022 01:42

His Majesty
lean2323

Despite owning a koto, there are thus far no known recordings of Brian playing one.

What many think is koto on Take It Or Leave It is actually a harpsichord with lute stop/string dampener engaged. The same setting was used on I Am Waiting and later on In Another Land and On With The Show, in this instance some think it's concert harp.

Brian or Keith played autoharp on Ride On Baby. No koto on the track.

The strings and brass on Something Happened To Me Yesterday were played by session musicians, arranged and conducted by Arthur Greenslade.

For his soundtrack Brian played sitar, organ, recorder, autoharp, dulcimer, harmonica and possibly the brief bits of slide guitar on a melobar. Despite one being present at atleast one session, there is no mellotron on the soundtrack.

The Brian Jones on the McGough and McGear album is the saxophonist from Liverpool band The Undertakers. Brian's involvement on Yellow Submarine has often been claimed, but never confirmed even by mega Beatles heads with access to Abbey Road paperwork etc etc.

First of all I dont know you His Majesty (you have email hidden) but I want to really thank you for all this information and to let me undercover more relistening and researching!

From my humble opinion I heard this (excuse for the Koto mistake!):

Take It Or Leave It: Brian plays organ and can be bells (harpsichord is heard but this instrument plays Jack for what I read). This time I cant confirm the koto and neither Dulcimer or autoharp, for me are acoustic guitars.

Ride On, Baby: Brian plays Marimba and autoharp relistening again the track.

I Am Waiting: Brian plays Dulcimer, harpsichord again Jack.

In another land: Brian plays Mellotron. Piano, organ and harpsichord Nicky Hopckins.

On With The Show: Brian plays Mellotron and Concert Harp. Piano and harpsichord (can be stop/string technique) Nicky Hopckins.

Yes its Mike Leander Orchestra on Something Happened To Me Yesterday, but! I resist to think that Brian dont play antyhing on this track, trompet or recorder maybe?

Thanks for Degree of murder instrument data!

In regard of McGough and McGear and dont find much more, I read in many places that Brian plays saxo on the album of Mike McGear called ¨McGear¨ of 1974, who knows..And about Beatles Yellow submarine the same thing but I dont have any other data of Brian using ocarina, it can be possible but...

I update all in the original post

Date: March 10, 2022 01:43

Mathijs
He was fantastic at creating sounds and soundscapes, pushing ordinary songs into fantastically new directions.

Yes, in part thanks to him being a multi-instrumentalist. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

As for the stuff about mastery...

Stupid to say someone has to master instruments to be considered a player of one or many.

Very few people truly master instruments. Not that they ever tried do so, but none of The Rolling Stones have.

Date: March 10, 2022 02:02

lean2323

On With The Show: Brian plays Mellotron and Concert Harp. Piano and harpsichord (can be stop/string technique) Nicky Hopckins.

Yes its Mike Leander Orchestra on Something Happened To Me Yesterday, but! I resist to think that Brian dont play antyhing on this track, trompet or recorder maybe?

There is no concert harp on On With The Show. Nicky doubled the piano using harpsichord with lute stop/string damper engaged. People mistake this for concert harp.

Acid In The Grass is the only known recording featuring Brian playing concert harp.

It's possible Brian played acoustic guitar or piano on SHTMY, if he did indeed play on the track. Maybe he didn't.

No known recordings of Brian playing brass, non reed instruments such as trumpet, trombone etc.

Date: March 10, 2022 02:08

Rocky Dijon
This is all silliness. All of them needed one another at the start as much as they needed management and promotion and opportunity and hunger and talent and luck. To speculate one member could have achieved the same with others or found their way on their own is ridiculous. They weren't Beethoven or Mozart. They were an R&B cover band that made good. Yes, they're amazing and yes, they deserve all that came their way, but the alignment of so many factors - musical chemistry, timing coming after The Beatles, just the right management & promotion, finding their way as performers and then songwriters. It is a one in a million chance or even greater to make it out of the pub circuit and then to have staying power. The factors that explain it are never about one or two people, it's all of them and everything that supported them and when and where they were in history. Change any of those factors and it would never be the same outcome.

thumbs up

Date: March 10, 2022 02:45

His Majesty
lean2323

There is no concert harp on On With The Show. Nicky doubled the piano using harpsichord with lute stop/string damper engaged. People mistake this for concert harp.

Acid In The Grass is the only known recording featuring Brian playing concert harp.

It's possible Brian played acoustic guitar or piano on SHTMY, if he did indeed play on the track. Maybe he didn't.

No known recordings of Brian playing brass, non reed instruments such as trumpet, trombone etc.

Thanks! Maybe Brian plays trumpet or saxo (like Citadel, Dandelion, 2000 light years from home and Beatles You Know My Name) in Sing This All Together and Sing This All Together (See What Happens)?

On SHTMY surprisingly (because much people affirm that Brian plays or trombone or trompet or saxo or clarinet even) I think that can be that Brian doesnt play anything.

In On with the show (and I think in Sittin on a Fence and in Take it or leave chorus if its not an autoharp, Jack seems to plays later in the same song too harpsichord but without lute stop/string damper engaged) can be this what happens that seems ¨like¨ a concert harp [www.youtube.com] (min 4:20)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-10 04:52 by lean2323.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 10, 2022 03:33

Keith was probably the one who started the whole "Brian as multi-instrumentalist" thing in his 1971 Rolling Stone interview where he talked about Brian having a gift to just pick up any instrument and in no time be able to make music with it.

Date: March 10, 2022 06:31

In Lennon Remembers he talked about being able to pick up just about any instrument and get something artistic out of it for a record. In a sense they were lucky Brian could glide along and use instruments current in the pop field for their singles. As mentioned before, it got unlucky when all they needed was a good second guitarist.

I'm having a hard time thinking of Brian playing on the '69 tour. Keith was definitely not the elegant lead player Mick Taylor was. We would have missed out on all that with Brian just being able to chug along on rhythm. Maybe he could have done a slide spot like No Expectations.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 10, 2022 10:06

His Majesty
Very few people truly master instruments. Not that they ever tried do so, but none of The Rolling Stones have.

Very true, Majesty.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home