Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Brian Jones Multi-Instrumentalist
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 6, 2022 06:49

Rockman
Without being in the Stones, Mick and Keith might have never had the chance to realize their songwriting potential- they might have been relegated to being a small time Chuck Berry/blues covers pub band

Yep without the Ark Moses would
probably have just ended manager of The Animals ....

Noah’s number one hit was the Ark and Moses number one hit was parting the Red Sea. However, being manager of “the Animals” would probably have been a a less stressful gig for either of them. Though managing Eric Burdon might
have presented some challenges - probably no worse than parting the red sea or ark building though…HaHa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 6, 2022 07:30

Hairball
Versatile, experimental, and innovative - he probably would have been successful even without the Rolling Stones, while the same can't be said of the others in the band.

Except for Dick Taylor and Mick Avory who did alright for themselves.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 6, 2022 11:43

Moses number one hit was parting the Red Sea.

Always though it would been pretty wild
to have been there body surfing on that day ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: March 6, 2022 17:22

MKjan
Had Brian and Stu not formed the Rolling Stones, it's doubtful that Brian would have the success he had with the Stones. It's more likely Mick and Keith would have done better. Look at how the Stones have done without Brian. And then there is the songwriting...... Mick and Keith would have been fine.

I totally agree. Who knows, if Mick and Keith had started playing with someone other than Brian back then, they may have had twice as many hits by this point. We will never know, but I do know no one's been able to touch the Mick/Keith writing combo or the Mick/Keith live performances. I do think Brian was very talented, though, and it's sad he died so young before being able to reach his full potential.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 6, 2022 18:27

TrulyMicks1
MKjan
Had Brian and Stu not formed the Rolling Stones, it's doubtful that Brian would have the success he had with the Stones. It's more likely Mick and Keith would have done better. Look at how the Stones have done without Brian. And then there is the songwriting...... Mick and Keith would have been fine.

I totally agree. Who knows, if Mick and Keith had started playing with someone other than Brian back then, they may have had twice as many hits by this point. We will never know, but I do know no one's been able to touch the Mick/Keith writing combo or the Mick/Keith live performances. I do think Brian was very talented, though, and it's sad he died so young before being able to reach his full potential.

I suggest that you take some time to read stuff about the Stones' early days, check interviews (!!! YouTube for instance, or His Majesty's site mentioned above) done with all Stones members, including Ian Stewart, as well as some others very close to them in those early days (Dick Taylor, Phil May, even Andrew Oldham for that matter, etc., etc., and you will find that without Brian's strong will to make a success of "his" band Mick and Keith would never have been the succesful great songwriters they became. Brian was the brilliant teacher, both instrumentally (both Mick and Keith learned a lot from him in the early days) and image wise. Mick and Keith were the willing and potentially (as turned out very) talented students. Brian was the teaser on stage and Mick (an extrovert and energetic person himself) picked up on that very quickly (and later James Brown became his inspiration). My guess is that Mick may have become a succesful business man, and Keith ??? (I vagely remember he said something about what he possibly would have done, if music would not bring success. Sure not very exiting stuff).

Chemistry is what it was and Brian (shortly after supported by Ian Stewart) was the one who started the chemical reaction winking smiley
No Brian Jones, no Rollin(g) Stones. Just as simple as that.
Later on, no songwriting talented Mick and Keith, no more Rolling Stones, despite the great input by Bill and Charlie (and later off course Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood). I feel blessed the way things turned out. 60 amazingly enjoyable years (so far grinning smiley).

I can't wait to see the guys this summer! cool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 6, 2022 20:31

The real chemistry began at the Dartford train station.

Date: March 6, 2022 20:56

MKjan
The real chemistry began at the Dartford train station.

That wasn't chemistry but a unique reunion of two old school friends ...
If there could have been any chemistry, it was Keith loving Mick's icecream. Loving the same kind of music doesn't neccesarily create a band. Brian knew Mick and Charlie (who joined "much" later) loosely from his work with Alexis Korner's band. Keith only came later (with Mick and Dick Taylor) to admire (as Keith said himself) Brian's magic slide guitar work. Brian Knight and Geoff Bradford didn't cause any chemistry needed for the future Rollin' Stones to surface and Brian "kicked" them out. Mick and Keith were then given a chance and something started to happen between the three/four (Ian) of them. But first Bill and Charlie had to join to the full, before the band-chemistry came to full growth winking smiley

smileys with beer

Date: March 6, 2022 21:17

It was more than a reunion, it was a bigger bang. Respect for Brian, but he was very lucky when Mick and Keith showed up.smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 6, 2022 21:33

MKjan
It was more than a reunion, it was a bigger bang. Respect for Brian, but he was very lucky when Mick and Keith showed up.smileys with beer

In some respects, though perhaps success was his ultimate undoing?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2022 21:57

georgie48
TrulyMicks1
MKjan

I suggest that you take some time to read stuff about the Stones' early days, check interviews (!!! YouTube for instance, or His Majesty's site mentioned above) done with all Stones members, including Ian Stewart, as well as some others very close to them in those early days (Dick Taylor, Phil May, even Andrew Oldham for that matter, etc., etc., and you will find that without Brian's strong will to make a success of "his" band Mick and Keith would never have been the succesful great songwriters they became. Brian was the brilliant teacher, both instrumentally (both Mick and Keith learned a lot from him in the early days) and image wise. Mick and Keith were the willing and potentially (as turned out very) talented students. Brian was the teaser on stage and Mick (an extrovert and energetic person himself) picked up on that very quickly (and later James Brown became his inspiration). My guess is that Mick may have become a succesful business man, and Keith ??? (I vagely remember he said something about what he possibly would have done, if music would not bring success. Sure not very exiting stuff).

Chemistry is what it was and Brian (shortly after supported by Ian Stewart) was the one who started the chemical reaction winking smiley
No Brian Jones, no Rollin(g) Stones. Just as simple as that.
Later on, no songwriting talented Mick and Keith, no more Rolling Stones, despite the great input by Bill and Charlie (and later off course Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood). I feel blessed the way things turned out. 60 amazingly enjoyable years (so far grinning smiley).

I can't wait to see the guys this summer! cool smiley

Nice post georgie. thumbs up

"No Brian Jones, no Rollin(g) Stones. Just as simple as that".

Indeed very true on every level.

Hope you get to see whats left of the Stones at a stadium near you this summer georgie, and I know you'll be thinking of (and thanking) Brian for the band he started all those years ago.
Without him, no Stones whatsoever.

60 years and counting...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 6, 2022 22:16

All speculation about Brian, and we will never know.

He was a big part of the band, and The Rolling Stones haven't done too bad musically with all the members since his passing at such a young age.

Date: March 6, 2022 23:23

All speculation about Brian, and we will never know.

Yep all pure fairy talk ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2022 03:17

From day one until today, if there was no Mick or Keith, there would be no Rolling Stones. Just that simple.

Date: March 7, 2022 04:38

Yep totally correct ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2022 14:57

MKjan

It depends on how you look at it winking smiley
The band that Brian created (off course without the others it might have been a different blues band) eventually (partly "thanks to" Mick and Keith - they both admitted their not always very nice behaviour toward mentally weak Brian in interviews!) became his downfall. So his luck was short lived.
Not ours though cool smiley

Amsterdam Arena is rumoured, Hairball! But I will try to go to some other places too cool smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 7, 2022 17:25

MKjan

Fact is, nobody can say that. In music industry as in all other creative arts success depends on so many factors that with all the talent it was a good portion of good luck for the Stones to become and remain successful. They could have vanished after the first string of hits in 1966/67 if they had not managed to revitalize the success with 'Jumpin' jack flash', 'Honky tonk women' and 'Brown sugar'. There were many great bands with high potential that never were really successful, or they disappeared from the scene after one massive hit.

Therefore, it makes no sense trying to figure out what would have become of the original members of the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-07 17:27 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 7, 2022 17:31

I think this 11 minute video gives an honest opinion by Charlie and the band on what Brian was like.

Posted by: lean2323 ()
Date: March 7, 2022 19:20

Doxa
I don't think it is fair to judge a dude who died so young by the shortcomings he committed during his short life. Yeah, shit happened, and Brian was gone, but people have the ability to change. He never had that chance.

But thinking him in purely musical merits and terms (and leaving kitchen psychology and moralism aside) , and the gift and potentiality there, I could easily imagine him doing something interesting. Not probably in terms of commercial pop music, and anything close to the popularity of the Stones. He had the drive for 'world music' two decades before there was a concept for it. His natural sense for musical experimentalism and incredible understanding of different instruments and sounds offers an endless potentia. What he might have done with all the synths etc. the modern technology allows. During the 70's when progressive rock killed the formula of a three minute pop song might have freed his creative soul. In Brian's film soundtrack there are glimpses for that direction. The proposed idea of Brian Eno with a good sense of rhythm sounds funny (and Eno hasn't sold that many records, but that doesn't seem to worry anyone).

If compared to the potentiality of other Stones members, with the exception of Charlie Watts, I think he had the best potential to do something completely different than the music of The Rolling Stones. Especially Mick and Keith are like doomed to sound Stonesy no matter what they do (and this isn't criticism). They breath that stuff.

Anyway, what has always fascinated me in regard to Brian Jones is that he, despite being initially like a model boy for a 'rock star', he somehow escapes all the typical definitions belonging to the rock culture. Compared to his substitutes, he is totally an unique musician. Taylor's pretty much a typical British post-Clapton 'guitar god' and Ronnie is almost like caricature or a walking cliche of British guitar-playing rock star, 'poor man's Keith Richards'. But Brian was something else, and he unfortunately didn't live long enough, or the rock music to develop enough, to really define himself. A 'multi-instrumentalist' yeah, but that also is a bit vague definition.

- Doxa

I wonder how grow this into a discussion if Brian would be able to be success without the other stones members or if other stones members would have success for themselves! WHO KNOWS!! Who knows if Brian could overcome his internal conflicts and his autodestructive behavior! Who knows if Brian could develop a strong ability to compose more than a soundtrack ¨A Degree Of Murder¨ and make an entire album for his own/or with another band and and meet the right people to recording and promote and have success! Who knows if Mick & Keith or Charlie or Bill would have been success for their own! It was for Brian that we have The Rolling Stones or maybe (and I think better) was for Brian, Mick and Keith that we have (without neglecting Bill & Charlie)? WHO CARES! Who cares if today 60 years after the big bang chemistry we continuous to have the most wonderfull creation in music history with our loved ones Rolling Stones!!

Im only talking about Brian facet (and remark FACET) of his multinstrumentalist talent, that I think that from the many Brian facets is the facet that prevails and stood out for ages..We can have a talk of others Brian facet, for me was a trully talent in music history and its a really pitty his premature death not only for the Stones (that prove that they were able to continue after Brian death) but for the entire music industry and most important music culture.

Please feel free to considere new instruments/songs to add if I miss something!

The Honky Tonk Blues [www.youtube.com]

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

Re: Brian Jones Multi-Instrumentalist facet
Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: March 7, 2022 19:49

Well actually we know as the FACT that Mick and Keith both were capable of carrying on the band successfully through decades, and who knows about Brian. Who knows what could he have done, but from what WE KNOW he was not able to focus on anything long enough to succeed big time without Mick and Keith. The rest is either wishful thinking or speculation.

Date: March 7, 2022 20:33

This is all silliness. All of them needed one another at the start as much as they needed management and promotion and opportunity and hunger and talent and luck. To speculate one member could have achieved the same with others or found their way on their own is ridiculous. They weren't Beethoven or Mozart. They were an R&B cover band that made good. Yes, they're amazing and yes, they deserve all that came their way, but the alignment of so many factors - musical chemistry, timing coming after The Beatles, just the right management & promotion, finding their way as performers and then songwriters. It is a one in a million chance or even greater to make it out of the pub circuit and then to have staying power. The factors that explain it are never about one or two people, it's all of them and everything that supported them and when and where they were in history. Change any of those factors and it would never be the same outcome.

Date: March 7, 2022 21:06

Dont forget Dick Taylors mum ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2022 21:27

Rocky Dijon
This is all silliness. All of them needed one another at the start as much as they needed management and promotion and opportunity and hunger and talent and luck. To speculate one member could have achieved the same with others or found their way on their own is ridiculous. They weren't Beethoven or Mozart. They were an R&B cover band that made good. Yes, they're amazing and yes, they deserve all that came their way, but the alignment of so many factors - musical chemistry, timing coming after The Beatles, just the right management & promotion, finding their way as performers and then songwriters. It is a one in a million chance or even greater to make it out of the pub circuit and then to have staying power. The factors that explain it are never about one or two people, it's all of them and everything that supported them and when and where they were in history. Change any of those factors and it would never be the same outcome.

Very well said, Rocky thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2022 23:52

Robert Johnson crashes into Chuck Berry. That's what ignited the Stones. Brian brought Robert Johnson, Mick & Keith brought Chuck Berry. The explosion created the unique sound. Not one, not the other, both. Of course there were plenty of Chuck Berry influenced bands. But Robert Johnson, and Jimmy Reed? That's pure Brian, and his part is in the cement foundation of the Stones sound.

You could also say he brought the darkness. His moaning slide on Little Red Rooster. His train flying off the tracks slide on the live Movin' On. If Mick and Keith hadn't written songs, and took the band to a whole new level, they would still be remembered as one of the greatest R&B bands of all time.

Date: March 8, 2022 02:45

Rockman
Dont forget Dick Taylors mum ....

True. Without Dick Taylor and Mick Avory being there at the inception, they would be another Freddie and The Dreamers.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 8, 2022 03:18

Rocky Dijon

Yep. So true. It's like the development of the universe after the Big Bang.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 8, 2022 12:59

So many errors. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 8, 2022 13:06

Weren't the Stones like a two-stage rocket?

Date: March 8, 2022 13:12

Btw, Mick played harmonica before The Rolling Stones were even formed.

Date: March 8, 2022 17:04

lean2323

- Sitar "Ain't Nothin' Wrong With That"&"My Little One" (Hendrix)

- Dulcimer ´"Citadel"´´2000 Light Years From Home´´

- Koto “Take It or Leave It.”"Ride On, Baby"

- Concert Harp "On with the Show"

- Sarod "Gomper"

- Organ "Back Street Girl"

- Mellotron"Gomper" ¨Degree of Murder¨ (movie soundtrack)

- Harpsichord ´´Ruby Tuesday´´

- Soprano Saxophone "Sing This All Together""On with the Show"´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´ " "Basement Flat"&"Summer with Monica" (McGough and McGear)

- Trumpet ´´She’s a Rainbow´´

- Oboe ´´Dandelion´´

- Tuba ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´

- Trombone ´´Something Happened to Me Yesterday´´

- Shehnai "Gomper""Sing This All Together"

- Recorder ´"Back Street Girl"

- Euphonium "Is This What I Get For Loving You?" (Marianne Faithfull)

- Ocarina ´´Yellow Submarine´´ (Beatles)

- Marimba "Yesterday's Papers"

- Theremin ´´2000 Light Years From Home´´ "Sing This All Together"

These are all incorrect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-08 17:06 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 8, 2022 17:23

what does he play on JJFlash

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home