Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Article: Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Box Set Remains Unequaled
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 3, 2022 05:51

Sound Labs Box Set Remains Unequaled
APR 02, 2018 by DONALD SCARINCI

There are new remasters of the Rolling Stones album collection, but no current remaster is as good as the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs box set released in 1984.

f you want the best sounding stereo versions of the Rolling Stones hit albums, the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Box Set is the best.

Rolling Stones MFSL box set RC-1

According to Mobile Fidelity Sounds Labs, the original master Rolling Stones tapes, from which the music in the collection was transferred, were meticulously tracked-down in both England and America. Altogether, more than 60 boxes of recording tapes were examined and auditioned, until the genuine original masters were discovered.

Rolling Stones Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Box Set Remains Unequaled
APR 02, 2018by DONALD SCARINCIin MUSICRolling Stones Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Box Set Remains Unequaled

There are new remasters of the Rolling Stones album collection, but no current remaster is as good as the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs box set released in 1984.

If you want the best sounding stereo versions of the Rolling Stones hit albums, the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Box Set is the best. Released in 1984, the limited edition collectors’ albums are only available in vinyl, although bootleg copies have been ripped and are sometimes seen sold on eBay on CD.

According to Mobile Fidelity Sounds Labs, the original master Rolling Stones tapes, from which the music in the collection was transferred, were meticulously tracked-down in both England and America. Altogether, more than 60 boxes of recording tapes were examined and auditioned, until the genuine original masters were discovered.

The box set includes:

“The Rolling Stones”
“12 x 5”
“Out Of Our Heads”
“Aftermath”
“Between The Buttons”
“Their Satanic Majesties Request”
“Beggars Banquet”
“Let It Bleed”
“Get Yer Ya’s Ya’s Out”
“Hot Rocks”

The first three albums (“The Rolling Stones”, “12×5”, and “Out Of Our Heads”) were originally recorded in the mono format, while the next six albums were recorded in true stereo. According to Mobile Fidelity Sounds Labs, “Hot Rocks” was a compilation of mono and stereo tracks that they “transferred from the original master tapes…carefully spliced together by MFSL’s engineers.”

Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs used the original (British) Decca master recording tapes, except for “12×5” and “Out Of Our Heads”, which were originally recorded in America and first released by London Records. The albums were pressed on “JVC Super Vinyl” for optimum sound. They come housed in an attractive hard box with “The Rolling Stones” engraved in red and a nice ball-lock closure. The box set comes with large full color book with 3-D cover and all artwork from the LP’s and more. All LP’s house in thick individual red sleeves with thick inner sleeves.

he box set can be purchased in new and used condition on sites like Amazon.com and Discogs.com. A box set in very good condition is currently selling for around $750 to $1,000. While the albums are a significant investment, the sound quality is truly unparalleled.

[donaldscarinci.com]

Re: Article: Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Box Set Remains Unequaled
Posted by: downagain ()
Date: March 3, 2022 13:54

While I would certainly love to have or at least hear these, I am quite pleased with the Mono Box I picked up a few years ago. I know purists will not like that the recordings entered the digital domain but they wound amazing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 3, 2022 16:48

downagain
While I would certainly love to have or at least hear these, I am quite pleased with the Mono Box I picked up a few years ago. I know purists will not like that the recordings entered the digital domain but they wound amazing.

I concur, the mono box set on cd is revelatory.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 3, 2022 21:35

treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

but then i got a original us mono version of between the buttons on vinyl in very good condition

and that blew me away all over again

Date: March 4, 2022 17:40

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

but then i got a original us mono version of between the buttons on vinyl in very good condition

I have to admit I have all those old Decca's and London's in mono and stereo and haven't play tested them side by side yet (with the exception of LIB mono...don't have it!).

The Decca's are supposed to be the best versions, but with the new mono box set my understanding is that you're hearing things on there for the first time, never even identifiable on the originals.

Date: March 4, 2022 21:43

treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

I have to admit I have all those old Decca's and London's in mono and stereo and haven't play tested them side by side yet (with the exception of LIB mono...don't have it!).

The Decca's are supposed to be the best versions, but with the new mono box set my understanding is that you're hearing things on there for the first time, never even identifiable on the originals.

that maybe true all i know is i prefer the sound of my original mono btb vinyl whether or not it's more detailed it's just more pleasant to listen to for me

but i admit the mono boxset sounds really good!

also you have mono copies of beggars and satanic?

lucky you

maybe pull out satanic and give it a listen with the mono box version

see which you prefer

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 4, 2022 23:54

exilestones
The first three albums (“The Rolling Stones”, “12×5”, and “Out Of Our Heads”) were originally recorded in the mono format, while the next six albums were recorded in true stereo. According to Mobile Fidelity Sounds Labs, “Hot Rocks” was a compilation of mono and stereo tracks that they “transferred from the original master tapes…carefully spliced together by MFSL’s engineers.”
I have some doubts ... from what I know, they started recording in stereo in the late 60's.

Date: March 5, 2022 16:55

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

that maybe true all i know is i prefer the sound of my original mono btb vinyl whether or not it's more detailed it's just more pleasant to listen to for me

lucky you

see which you prefer

Yes I have Mono & Stereo DECCA's of B.B. and TSMR. I'll have to do that.

I have a MONO Decca of Aftermath that is in NM condition. That's one of my collections prizes, just cause it looks so good.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 5, 2022 18:54

I've had the set since it was new and augmented it with the Mobile Fidelity Sounds Labs, “Some Girls" and "Sticky Fingers." Factory pops and clicks were/are audible throughout all the titles but tended to dissipate after several plays. The MFSL set was good enough that I didn't find much improvement with the ABKCO SACDs issued in 2002.I rarely play anything from it but I wouldn't part with it for less than the high-side price mentioned above.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 5, 2022 19:39

The MFSL set is a true must-have.
I never understood the reason why they didn’t go on with more RSR albums.
I believe they could have done miracles for Black And Blue.

Date: March 5, 2022 21:05

treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

I have a MONO Decca of Aftermath that is in NM condition. That's one of my collections prizes, just cause it looks so good.

please do i'm curious which you'll prefer

i also have a mono aftermath but it's in let's say more typical shape

but my btb is in nm condition i got it from a libarin in her 70's who bought in new listened to it once didn't like it and it sat on her shelf unplayed for 50 years

she just gave it to me knowing my love for the stones and vinyl she thought i would appreciate it

and i do!

Date: March 6, 2022 21:35

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

but my btb is in nm condition i got it from a libarin in her 70's who bought in new listened to it once didn't like it and it sat on her shelf unplayed for 50 years

she just gave it to me knowing my love for the stones and vinyl she thought i would appreciate it

and i do!

cool...do you have London releases, or Decca?

Date: March 7, 2022 01:19

treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

and i do!

London

the only decca i have is a worn copy of no.2

Date: March 12, 2022 02:42

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

and i do!

London

Decca's were considered creme-de la-creme. Deep groove and heavyweight vinyl.

Date: March 13, 2022 10:16

treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

and i do!

London

yes i've heard that before

that's why i keep an eye out for affordable copies

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 13, 2022 10:27

Hey yeah still got Mobile set ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 13, 2022 12:18

It remains unequaled only if you possess a $100.000,00+ HiFi equipment. Mine is only $40.000,00+, so a poor sucker like me must pass.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: March 13, 2022 13:13

Now if I could turn down my tinnitus distorting the high end...actually it's ok as long as I forget about it.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 13, 2022 23:02

I could not compare the original MFSL releases (Sticky Fingers and Some Girls not included) to any other releases. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

They officially released the MFSL mixes on CD. This has been a topic of discussion since I was born!

The Stones started recording in stereo in at least 1964, maybe earlier. They recorded the Chess Sessions in stereo in 1964.

Maybe someone knows the first recording session that was in stereo?

Here's a small sample between the different mixes of a Stones song; mono, MFSL wide stereo, DSD 2002.

[wetransfer.com]

MONO vs STEREO: Benefits (& Drawbacks) of Stereo Audio
[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 14, 2022 03:17

retired_dog
It remains unequaled only if you possess a $100.000,00+ HiFi equipment. Mine is only $40.000,00+, so a poor sucker like me must pass.

mine was pieced together from thrift stores and garage sales and whatever carts i could get cheap off ebay

but just out of curiosity what does a $100k sound system look like?

Date: March 14, 2022 04:19

Well yad nearly knock out a fair chunk
of that if ya got yaself a Goldmund's Reference II turntable

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2022 06:11

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

and i do!

London

I've been spending time going through the collection, rating and listing them on DISCOGs. It's almost shocking how much some of those DECCAs are worth now. There was a period of time about 15 years ago I was buying several copies of each one of these albums, DECCA Aftermath's, Beggar's, I, II, Out of Heads, and everything in MONO & Stereo.

You really start getting knowledgeable after awhile with all the label variations and matrix numbers. It's geek fun.

Sort of wild having some of these records totally thrashed and some in NM condition, almost 60 years later. Some with names of probably teenagers carefully written on the cover, or on the record label.

Anyway, a fun hobby.

Date: March 14, 2022 07:01

treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

and i do!

London

I've been spending time going through the collection, rating and listing them on DISCOGs. It's almost shocking how much some of those DECCAs are worth now. There was a period of time about 15 years ago I was buying several copies of each one of these albums, DECCA Aftermath's, Beggar's, I, II, Out of Heads, and everything in MONO & Stereo.

You really start getting knowledgeable after awhile with all the label variations and matrix numbers. It's geek fun.

Sort of wild having some of these records totally thrashed and some in NM condition, almost 60 years later. Some with names of probably teenagers carefully written on the cover, or on the record label.

Anyway, a fun hobby.

it really is fun even if your poor like me

speaking of discogs i just got a sealed original copy of dirty work for $20

so your right about the prices but i generally bide my time and eventually i'll find something reasonable

and if you think the price of records have gone up a lot the price of good vintage carts (which i prefer and collect) are insane

Date: March 14, 2022 07:02

Rockman
Well yad nearly knock out a fair chunk
of that if ya got yaself a Goldmund's Reference II turntable

nope my main table is a much more humble pioneer pl-560

Date: March 14, 2022 07:11

....yep Pro thats humble ...... hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2022 07:19

ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

and i do!

London

Anyway, a fun hobby.

so your right about the prices but i generally bide my time and eventually i'll find something reasonable

and if you think the price of records have gone up a lot the price of good vintage carts (which i prefer and collect) are insane

Hey, good for you. That's a pretty good price. I think I've manage to nab 3 of those sealed over the years. I'm probably going to start 'lightening the load'...way too many duplicates over the years!

Date: March 14, 2022 08:10

treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
ProfessorWolf
treaclefingers
downagain

i know i like mine

lucky you

see which you prefer

and i do!

London

Anyway, a fun hobby.

Hey, good for you. That's a pretty good price. I think I've manage to nab 3 of those sealed over the years. I'm probably going to start 'lightening the load'...way too many duplicates over the years!

thanks

good luck with that hope you get a good price and they go to a good home

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home