Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Under The Radar
Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: November 19, 2005 01:58

Oh thanks Drake you are the man!

I CANNOT beleive they leave these off ABB? I have only downloaded UTR, but man that is great! It would be a good hit single! WTF are they doing? That is probably the best song from ABB sessions? It cooks. Great groove. Good mix. Nice picked riffs! IU hear a bit of Might as Well Get Juiced in it! Modern enough for a hit NOW! Has a liitle of an Oasis sound to it. But better! Real good. Fantastic! I will stop typing now

Posted by: drake ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:06

The tunes will be up for a few days. That is, assuming all my bandwidth doesnt get obliterated. To be honest, I wasnt expecting much out of these tunes. I loved the bsides off Voodoo Lounge but since we didnt get anything like that on Bridges I figured the bonus tracks would just be outtakes similar to what was put on 40 Licks. My dad who liked Rough Justice, Let Me Down Slow, and a few of the other 'outstanding' tunes on ABB really got a kick out of these. How LWTCDI, Dangerous Beauty and Neocon took these prime spots is beyond me. Drop those three tunes, add these new gems... we'd have the perfect 15 track ABB. I cant say that either of them shouldve been a single (I still think ONNYA should have been the first single) but they're definately up at the tops. I'm genuinely suprised by these tracks. Glad everyone (or most everyone) is diggin em. I also picked up a copy of the Rarities CD today. I'd heard everything on it before EXCEPT for the 12" version of Mixed Emotions, which kicked my ass. I cant say its necessarily better than what was put on Steel Wheels but its very interesting. In particular to hear Keith's riffs so predominant. I'm sure everyone here has already heard that track though. smiling smiley

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:08

I like the sing-along towards the end of We Dont Wanna Go Home, much fun--could be a set closer!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:10

we dont wanna go home...
we just wanna get stoned...

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:14

Chas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the sing-along towards the end of We Dont
> Wanna Go Home, much fun--could be a set closer!

yeah, especially Keith's backing vocals!!!

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:26

The two new songs sound great!

Well my choice would have been 'Under The Radar' instead of 'Sweet Neocon' on ABB -

Swapping the two about would have created a stir for the DVD and made for a better ABB CD.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:27

ohmigod, 'under the radar' sends chills up and down my spine ... an absolutely stellar track.

drake, you are the man. many, many thanks. you made a whole bunch of stones fans very happy indeed.

drew

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:31

Thanks Drake!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:32

Rumple I agree 100%

Date: November 19, 2005 02:37

We Don't Wanna Go Home is the weaker of the two. It is sort simular to ONNYA in the lyrical style. Under the Radar is a great song that should have been on the album.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 19, 2005 02:40

uz2bstoned Wrote:
> We Don't Wanna Go Home is the weaker of the two.
> It is sort simular to ONNYA in the lyrical style.
> Under the Radar is a great song that should have
> been on the album.

completely agree.

'under the radar' is gorgeous and rocking at the same time. love that keef riff, makes me glad to be alive.

drew

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 19, 2005 03:07

many thanks for these

"Radar" is an absolute gem - beautiful and nasty all at once. Great sneering vocal and oh those f*ckin guitars..... Would have been one of the top 4 songs on what is already a terrific album had they chose to include it. To leave it off is a decision breathtaking in its sheer stupidity

Ive been so knocked out by that one Ive only listened to Dont wanna go home twice. Its a solid enough track on initial hearing, better than a few of the songs on ABB but probably would have been suited best as a good bonus track on a CD single, a bit like "Jump on top of me" etc. I get the impression its a grower, however!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-19 03:09 by Gazza.

Date: November 19, 2005 03:20

I notice that "Dont wanna go home" has a reference to "grab their toupees"..

I sense some more mileage in that hairpieces thread...

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 19, 2005 03:41

Gazza Wrote:
> many thanks for these
>
> "Radar" is an absolute gem - beautiful and nasty
> all at once. Great sneering vocal and oh those
> f*ckin guitars..... Would have been one of the top
> 4 songs on what is already a terrific album had
> they chose to include it. To leave it off is a
> decision breathtaking in its sheer stupidity
>
>

Unless they were thinking of selling more albums . . . at Christmas . . . with a special edition? Of an album that's already been sold to the most hardcore fans and will now be sold twice to a portion of them as well as the value seeking public?

Doesn't sound so stupid to me.

Mercernary maybe, but stupid? Only time will tell.

Date: November 19, 2005 04:20

Unless they were thinking of selling more albums . . . at Christmas . . . with a special edition? Of an album that's already been sold to the most hardcore fans and will now be sold twice to a portion of them as well as the value seeking public?

------------

Yeah but all the hardcore collectors will buy it. No one else. Unless the songs like UTR are marketed who in the general public care for buying it? They would already have bought ABB. They would have to do a big push on UTR to sell lots more copies. No doubt in 5 years these two songs will be on the ABB album you buy at the record store anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-19 04:22 by uz2bstoned.

Date: November 19, 2005 04:23

camper88 Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > many thanks for these
> >
> > "Radar" is an absolute gem - beautiful and
> nasty
> > all at once. Great sneering vocal and oh
> those
> > f*ckin guitars..... Would have been one of
> the top
> > 4 songs on what is already a terrific album
> had
> > they chose to include it. To leave it off is
> a
> > decision breathtaking in its sheer stupidity
> >
> >
>
> Unless they were thinking of selling more albums .
> . . at Christmas . . . with a special edition? Of
> an album that's already been sold to the most
> hardcore fans and will now be sold twice to a
> portion of them as well as the value seeking
> public?
>
> Doesn't sound so stupid to me.
>
> Mercernary maybe, but stupid? Only time will
> tell.
>
>

relatively few people are going to be enticed by 2 songs (which probably wont get airplay - unless theres a promo version for radio, you can only play this on a DVD player) and a couple of video clips to buy an album they werent bothered about purchasing to begin with.

It'll sell a few albums, sure - but as uz2bstoned says, it'll be the hardcore fans who are buying it.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: November 19, 2005 05:03

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 05:28 by cirrhosis.

Date: November 19, 2005 05:09

I see what you mean by I Go Wild. Good point

Its the blocked chords and the way it stops and starts, I guess

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 19, 2005 05:10

Gazza Wrote:
> camper88 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > an album that's already been sold to the
> most hardcore fans and will now be sold twice to
> a portion of them as well as the value seeking
> > public
> >

>
> It'll sell a few albums, sure - but as uz2bstoned
> says, it'll be the hardcore fans who are buying
> it.

Yup, that's exactly what I said (see above). But you can also include their friends and family members at Christmas who think they're picking up a valuable present for the Stones fans that they know.

The point is that I'd hardly consider that stupid if you're in the business of selling records (mercenary, yes). The album couldn't have received better reviews, and now it's only more "valuable."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-19 05:12 by camper88.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: November 19, 2005 05:20

I'm confused! Do you mean CD or DVD? A DVD is video not just audio so what's about to be released!? A newer version of the ABB CD with these 2 songs?

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: November 19, 2005 05:39

T&A Wrote:
> Gotta say, folks - these are better than 75% of
> the tracks on ABB. Stones decision-making must
> certainly be called into question. I had to assume
> that these tracks would be inferior to most of
> ABB....not so. These both rank with the best of
> the last 2 decades, IMO. a shame.

Why's it gotta be a shame friend? I have a tendency to feel (like some others) that this wasn't a miss, but more of a marketing strategy/ploy to enhance potential sales (excitement-whatever) as the Holiday season appraoches.

I do agree- these two tracks really embody what the Stones are about: nasty grooves, naughty lyrics and bitchin guitars! I really like both songs and I'm totally pissed off by the fact that I've been anticipating giving away my current ABB copy (and buying the ABB special) to a friend (moderate Stones enthusiast) with the expectation of blowing her away, but as I do this I have to remind myself that she's probably not going to hear a couple of the better tracks from the latest Rolling Stones recording efforts (UTR and WDWGH) unless I give that to her too!! I do like these tracks and give it up to Drake!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2005 05:50

it's a shame because virtually nobody is EVER gonna hear these. no way a casual fan is gonna buy this set and even if they do, how many are gonna bother to go to the effort of ripping them from the dvd? No, it's clear the Stones didn't think these 2 songs made the grade for the album - and they were dead wrong.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 19, 2005 06:00

drake, u rule once again! go cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey, do u go to the derby. i've been 8 of last 9 years. my buddy lives 5 blocks from churchill so we party all weekend there!

Date: November 19, 2005 06:08

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> drake, u rule once again! go
> cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!!
> hey, do u go to the derby. i've been 8 of last 9
> years. my buddy lives 5 blocks from churchill so
> we party all weekend there!

Drake's the King for sure, but the B-ball rulers are Wildcats not birdies!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 19, 2005 06:15

Damn, that was insanely good!

Date: November 19, 2005 06:17

StonesTod Wrote:
> it's a shame because virtually nobody is EVER
> gonna hear these. no way a casual fan is gonna buy
> this set and even if they do, how many are gonna
> bother to go to the effort of ripping them from
> the dvd? No, it's clear the Stones didn't think
> these 2 songs made the grade for the album - and
> they were dead wrong.

Do we assume they were wrong about these two not making the grade or is something else being said here? I hear what you're saying about the minimal exposure, but what of the other multitudes of unreleased tracks that Jagger and Richards are sitting on that could hold the same kind of magic? I'd love to peek in the vault sometime. My point is they may not even regard this in the same way you and I do- perception can be reality...

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: November 19, 2005 08:00

Thanks for sharing these. Damn, if only these were on the album in place of NEOCON, DRIVING TOO FAST, INFAMY, STREETS OF LOVE. The guitars are nice and LOUD. Not the greatest outtakes of their career, but much better than we had any right to expect.

Posted by: sunnybandyo99 ()
Date: November 19, 2005 08:21

I too want to hear that song

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 19, 2005 08:25

crossfire Wrote:
> My point
> is they may not even regard this in the same way
> you and I do- perception can be reality...

Need I remind you that the same "THEY" are the ones the deemed SOL worthy of inclusion. I rest my case.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 19, 2005 08:55

But now the big questions, that have not yet been answered. There's supposed to be two different special edition ABB's. One with a grey tongue, and one with the normal ABB cover. One is supposed to be with a DVD, one a 2CD. And then there is the mythical fanclub DVD. Anyone received it yet? What's the difference between all these things. Will they all be available worldwide?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home