Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Micks Voice...
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: February 27, 2022 13:43

I can't figure out, after listening to live at the Fonda theater. Micks voice sounded exactly the same as in 1972! Maybe better, I just don't understand it. Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Rod Stewart, and the worst, Elton John. There voices changed so must over time. He must really take care of that voice box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-27 13:45 by sonyzzz.

Re: Micks Voice...
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: February 27, 2022 13:46

can't figure out, after listening to live at the Fonda theater. Micks voice sounded exactly the same as in 1972! Maybe better, I just don't understand it. Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Rod Stewart, and the worst, Elton John. There voices changed so must over time. He must really take care of that voice box.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 27, 2022 14:22

While I don't agree he sounds exactly like 1972 I agree that he preserved his voice pretty much. His technique is better as it ever was. Surely he sings very clean now and has dropped any of the distortion he used in the past to guarantee his voice will work for years to come. Also stopping smoking in yhe early 80s certainly helped a lot. Smoking is the worst long-time enemy of every singer.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2022 16:03

I imagine his discipline with regards to exercise carries on to most things in his life including voice management.

Bar anything else I would suggest that discipline is why you see this band still on tour 60 years on.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 27, 2022 16:53

his voice is far from where it was in 1972 but it has aged very well

when you have a look at how his contemporaries voices have aged we're very lucky

that being said i personally prefer keith's modern voice

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: February 27, 2022 17:01

To my ears, what has changed in the last twenty years is that Mick uses only one vowel, an 'a',so Brown Sugar has became 'Braan Shaggar', HTW is 'Hanky Ta nk Wamman' and now and then we hear 'you're so ras-pac-tab-aal', except he has thrown in the occasional weird variation such 'Goomie Shaltar'

Seriously I think the fear of losing his voice has led Mick to be much more conservative, to shy away from letting loose. 'Crazy Mama' just wasn't the same without its outrageously growly vocal. Same for 'Memory Motel' and the last part of 'Moonlight Mile.'

We're lucky to have Mick in the incredible well preserved state that he exists.Poor Roger Daltrey lost his act as soon as he was too old to run on the spot so he's only got the microphone swinging to remind us of who he used to be. Contrastingly, I was amazed in 2018 at what Jagger, at his age could still do. Truly remarkable.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 27, 2022 17:08

Bakersfield
Mick uses only one vowel, an 'a',so Brown Sugar has became 'Braan Shaggar', HTW is 'Hanky Ta nk Wamman' and now and then we hear 'you're so ras-pac-tab-aal', except he has thrown in the occasional weird variation such 'Goomie Shaltar

Isn't that just his normal "American" voice?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 27, 2022 17:14

On the subject: His voice went horribly nasal in the late 90's. And weaker. I guess he has learnt to deal with that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 27, 2022 17:39

I like the way he sings now but he doesn't sound like 1972 he is more nasally and I hate the way he sings the titel to Beast Of Burden. But overall he is great

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 27, 2022 17:39

I like the way he sings now but he doesn't sound like 1972 he is more nasally and I hate the way he sings the titel to Beast Of Burden. But overall he is great

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 27, 2022 19:14

slew

Like Beerst of Boidon?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 27, 2022 22:21

Cooltoplady
slew

Like Beerst of Boidon?
I'll never be you pizza burning

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 28, 2022 01:19

An incredibly strong voice this man still has.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 28, 2022 01:23

Just listening to "Eazy Sleazy" and wondering if there is any voice on earth that sounds so good in singing a rock and roll tune?

- Doxa

Date: February 28, 2022 02:41

Doxa
Just listening to "Eazy Sleazy" and wondering if there is any voice on earth that sounds so good in singing a rock and roll tune?

- Doxa

no

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 28, 2022 04:10

ProfessorWolf
Doxa

- Doxa

no

Every once in a while we get the 'Mick sings nasally' crowd. I'm blessed not to hear it so I get to enjoy. No, of course he doesn't sound like 1972. But he sounds good. And 'Eazy Sleazy' showed he can still pull off a rocker. I thought there were times in the past he sounded worse, like he was just barking out the song.

Date: February 28, 2022 04:14

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
Doxa

- Doxa

no

Every once in a while we get the 'Mick sings nasally' crowd. I'm blessed not to hear it so I get to enjoy. No, of course he doesn't sound like 1972. But he sounds good. And 'Eazy Sleazy' showed he can still pull off a rocker. I thought there were times in the past he sounded worse, like he was just barking out the song.

yeah eazy sleazy was really a really good performance from him

start me up on lost and found was also really great

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 28, 2022 12:45

bakersfield
Seriously I think the fear of losing his voice has led Mick to be much more conservative, to shy away from letting loose. 'Crazy Mama' just wasn't the same without its outrageously growly vocal. Same for 'Memory Motel' and the last part of 'Moonlight Mile.'

I think it's perhaps 15 or 20 years ago now that Mick spoke about his voice and how he'd taken singing lessons for how to use it properly and preserve it.

Had he persisted with all that shouting and growling from the 70s and 80s , he probably wouldn't have a voice at all by now.

Now Rock N Roll vocals aren't necessarily judged in the same way as "singing" ...but Mick probably sings better in recent years than he ever did.

It's just that some folks prefer the cave man Mick grinning smiley

[Edited for dyslexic fingers ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-28 16:36 by Spud.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: February 28, 2022 16:20

Laughing out loud grinning smiley... Beerst of Boidon and Goomie Shaltar...

Mick sometimes has a funny pronunciation.. 'baby' = 'biebéh' is another one...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 28, 2022 19:10

Its not the exact same voice but he is in the club, maybe leading it, of guys who's voices have aged remarkably well. John Fogerty, Steven Tyler, Sammy Hagar and Neil Young are the 5 I usually think of in that group.

Oh, and Bob Dylan of course grinning smiley

Date: February 28, 2022 19:46

RollingFreak
Its not the exact same voice but he is in the club, maybe leading it, of guys who's voices have aged remarkably well. John Fogerty, Steven Tyler, Sammy Hagar and Neil Young are the 5 I usually think of in that group.

Oh, and Bob Dylan of course grinning smiley

i would add graham nash and david crosby too

poor stephen stills though

oh and i guess tom jones as well

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 28, 2022 19:48

I've heard shows where Bernard is mixed so high you can argue he is the actual lead singer.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 28, 2022 20:43

Doxa

- Doxa

mmmh so maybe the problem is not the voice but the tune spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: February 28, 2022 22:04

Personally, I prefer the growl of the 75-76 tours.
Currently, Only the nasal sound he has on Honky Tonk Women is somewhat bothersome to me , although the 2021 version sounds like he did lower his tone in that song, not sure if it was intentional.
Either way I’m glad he’s still singing, I love it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2022 22:18

Dan
I've heard shows where Bernard is mixed so high you can argue he is the actual lead singer.

And I've heard Chuck embellish Keith's guitar riffs with his keyboards to the point you can argue he is the actual rhythm "guitar" player.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2022 23:41

Its a wonder Macca doesnt get someone
like Bernard to help him out on live/studio vocals

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 1, 2022 00:04

I went to see Art Garfunkel some years ago at that Carnegie Hall tribute to the Rolling Stones.

Talk about terrible, not knowing when to give it up...painful to listen to him attempting the high notes
he used to sing.

I think a combination of training his voice, and Mick knowing what he is doing helps, and also, as people
have said, not needing a perfect-sounding voice in the first place. He selects songs to sing live in line with
what he thinks he can do well. As Keith says, if the singer can't sing it, we don't play it.

I like the way he sounds now--amazingly good. I don't hear much of the barking thing these days.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-01 00:07 by angee.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 1, 2022 00:18

angee
I went to see Art Garfunkel some years ago at that Carnegie Hall tribute to the Rolling Stones.

Talk about terrible, not knowing when to give it up...painful to listen to him attempting the high notes
he used to sing.

I think a combination of training his voice, and Mick knowing what he is doing helps, and also, as people
have said, not needing a perfect-sounding voice in the first place. He selects songs to sing live in line with
what he thinks he can do well. As Keith says, if the singer can't sing it, we don't play it.

I like the way he sounds now--amazingly good. I don't hear much of the barking thing these days.

Art sang Ruby Tuesday. And he kicked ass. There was nothing wrong with voice. You can find the recording on Youtube and other places.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 1, 2022 00:35

Rockman
Its a wonder Macca doesnt get someone
like Bernard to help him out on live/studio vocals

The drummer sings on most songs. Guess Paul is too cheap is to pay for both.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: March 1, 2022 01:10

I love Mick but listen to Tumblin Dice from '72 or even the live in Texas version from '78 then listen to any live version from the 2000's. Big change in both pitch and delivery but still great just different to me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home