Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The 1972 Tour - 50 years now - Do we finally get the live album?
Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: February 26, 2022 14:05

There are endless great bootlegs from the time period.

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: February 26, 2022 14:06

johnh
why doesn't "Ladies and Gentlemen" count?

Interesting read about the film and quad sound
[aadl.org]

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 26, 2022 16:28

JMARKO
ProfessorWolf
Erik_Snow
CS Blues is just like Dylan's Renaldo & Clara from the 1975 tour; extremely boring apart from the concert footage. Both should had been edited with 70%-80%, then it would be a terrific 20 minute watch.

right i agree but how much footage did franks shoot that was left out that would make for a more interesting document of the tour

i'm thinking like the recent footage of them rehearsing in texas

how much more like that is sitting around somewhere?

someone should be able assemble the footage franks shot into something more intersting

and even if they just released franks version how many of you would like to have a hd remastered video and audio blu ray (if for nothing else then just the live footage) as opposed to a 40 year old vhs transfer?

being able to see it that way might very well change the way many of us view it

That may not be Texas. I was just reading/hearing that they originally rehearsed in a very cramped space in L.A. area before moving to the Burbank location.I can’t for the life of me remember where I heard/read this. Any help?

i recall that too but couldn't tell you where

but just goes to prove my suspicion that franks filmed a lot more then we know about or was included in cb

given the access he had there has to be enough to make something great out of his footage provided its survived for 50 years

Date: February 26, 2022 16:32

Father Ted
ProfessorWolf
slewan
maybe well get something at the end of this year – otherwise all (unreleased!) 1972 recording become public domain

well what exactly should we expect?

ghs session outtakes?

what about the 40 or so minute video of pittsburgh?

or extra footage from msg that that was shot by the dick cavett show?

and isn't there a uncirculated soundboard recording from the winterland or la forum or something like that?

besides these pretty much everything has been released or bootlegged to death

and any copyright extension release they would just release the bootleg audio like abcko did in 2019 right?

Crossfire Hurricane has quite a few clips from 1972 shows that have never appeared officially. Maybe there’s an opportunity to do a 1972 tour package with live video clips plus an audio CD of one of the shows?

absolutely

but where did all this footage come from?

l&g outtakes, franks, cavett, local news?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 26, 2022 18:33

kevinkamphuis
johnh
why doesn't "Ladies and Gentlemen" count?

Interesting read about the film and quad sound
[aadl.org]

That's a hell of an article on that link.

Read the review of IORR that follows. It's a great window to the perspective of 1974. Most of these issues are now forgotten, but some are still being kicked around almost 50 years later.

An excerpt:

Rock is supposed to be alive and flexible. Then why haven’t we added a new star in years? The once clear stream has become a stagnant pond, clogged with faded superstars like Leon Russell and Steve Stills and Grace Slick. Once a creative source dies, it ceases to be useful and should have the sense to get out. We retire baseball players when they can’t hit, why not recycle worn-out rock stars every five years or so? “Get out of the new road if you can’t lend a hand.” It might be vicious, but it might save the field. Meanwhile we, the old guard, hold our collective breath whenever a new rumor that the Beatles are reforming hits the street. We are becoming rock & roll reactionaries, and many younger people don’t know any better. No wonder Rock has reached a standstill; the industry knows we’ll buy. Why encourage excellence when the same old thing will do just fine?

Jagger owes us more than this. He’s taken millions and given us shit. Jimmy and Janis may be the lucky ones--their memories are hallowed because they never had a chance to grow stale. Maybe in time, we would have discovered that they, too, had feet of clay. Conjecture is pointless. Dylan didn’t die in that motorcycle crash, but perhaps his impact would have remained undimmed if he had. The point is that too much is too much.

Whatever happened to the community spirit that imbued rock in the 60’s? Quicksilver, the Dead and Jefferson Airplane were as much a part of and result of Haight Ashbury as marijuana and Kesey. Liverpool ‘63, New York ‘66. Los Angeles, Detroit, even Ann Arbor in the early ‘70’s --all of these were communities which produced music and musicians that served the community. Today the music barely serves itself.

I could just spend my days with Aftermath and Sergeant Pepper but nostalgia is the cheapest of escape routes. We need new directions with the old energy, new faces with some of the old ideal. Dylan, Lennon, McCartney and Jagger were all poor boys who stumbled into easy living and decided to stay. Once they were vital and revolutionary, now they clip coupons. I could live for five years on what McCartney makes from one single; the millions Dylan glommed out of his tour could set up twenty free clinics. The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our Rockstars, but in the system that hallows mediocrity and substitutes Product for that elusive real thing. They serve us shit, and we think it’s steak.

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: February 26, 2022 18:49

ProfessorWolf
JMARKO

That may not be Texas. I was just reading/hearing that they originally rehearsed in a very cramped space in L.A. area before moving to the Burbank location.I can’t for the life of me remember where I heard/read this. Any help?

i recall that too but couldn't tell you where

but just goes to prove my suspicion that franks filmed a lot more then we know about or was included in cb

given the access he had there has to be enough to make something great out of his footage provided its survived for 50 years

Re: the tour rehearsals, after the Rialto Theater rehearsals in Montreux, they practiced in "a small back room on Santa Monica Boulevard [...] on the door to the room hung a small sign that said, "Extra Terrestrial Funk 4-11 PM" (as per Robert Greenfield's STP book). They moved over to Burbank after that, which Robert did shoot and is shown in the beginning of CS Blues. The Texas rehearsals were later in the tour - not sure why they never used any clips of that in Crossfire, but they showed up in the 1971 Apple series.

All of Frank's footage has been digitized/preserved - that's where nearly all the Crossfire concert clips come from.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: February 26, 2022 19:36

we should keep on hoping
at least on the book market something is planed ....

Jim Marshall & Joe Selvin
The Rolling Stones 1972 50th Anniversary Edition
Label / Brand: Chronicle Books

scheduled for release end May 2022

Re: 50 years now. Do we finally get the live album?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 26, 2022 19:42

xke38
Rockman
Still waitin for the 1792 shows ....

The 1789 version of Street Fighting Man was even better (more topical).

Yeah but the end was always truncated (sound of a guillotine blade hitting a neck...) smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 26, 2022 19:46

automaticchanger

All of Frank's footage has been digitized/preserved - that's where nearly all the Crossfire concert clips come from.

Yes I'm pretty sure it's been transfered... the question is : is it useable? I mean given the sonic level the P.A. was at in 72, a live sound capture with a hand-held mike and a Nagra must have been pretty overloaded...

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: February 26, 2022 20:43

dcba
automaticchanger

Yes I'm pretty sure it's been transfered... the question is : is it useable? I mean given the sonic level the P.A. was at in 72, a live sound capture with a hand-held mike and a Nagra must have been pretty overloaded...

I'm not sure if he actually shot the concerts with sync audio - in CS Blues all of the concert clips feature audio from different shows (i.e. Brown Sugar visual = LA, audio = Houston), and there isn't any sync for the clips used in Crossfire.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 27, 2022 10:58

ProfessorWolf
Father Ted
ProfessorWolf
slewan
maybe well get something at the end of this year – otherwise all (unreleased!) 1972 recording become public domain

ghs session outtakes?

and isn't there a uncirculated soundboard recording from the winterland or la forum or something like that?

and any copyright extension release they would just release the bootleg audio like abcko did in 2019 right?

Crossfire Hurricane has quite a few clips from 1972 shows that have never appeared officially. Maybe there’s an opportunity to do a 1972 tour package with live video clips plus an audio CD of one of the shows?

absolutely

Not 100% on the sources. Some did look like L&G outtakes. Possibly Montreal?

VideoJames said there was an hour of so of Boston footage somewhere.

Date: February 27, 2022 16:38

Father Ted
ProfessorWolf
Father Ted
ProfessorWolf
slewan

ghs session outtakes?

absolutely

Not 100% on the sources. Some did look like L&G outtakes. Possibly Montreal?

VideoJames said there was an hour of so of Boston footage somewhere.

an hour of boston?

now that i have never heard of!

any more info?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 27, 2022 16:46

The Cavett show filmed All Down the Line at MSG in addition to Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: February 28, 2022 18:26

A STP box set makes so much sense. Please! Don't wait! Do it now! eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home