Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Complicated - underrated
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 24, 2022 13:32

Good song from Between The Buttons!

Nice to re-listen to these earlier albums.

Re: Complicated - underrated
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 24, 2022 13:47

Not too keen on the sound/production for much Between the Buttons, nor the 60s pop feel...

...but there are some very good songs on it.

Date: February 24, 2022 13:49

love it. ending drags along to long though

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 24, 2022 13:52

It's not underrated, we all rate it high

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 24, 2022 13:53

Yes, as with every other Between the Buttons track, it's really good. I'm in a slight minority, I feel, but, I've always preferred Between the Buttons to Aftermath.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: February 24, 2022 14:08

Whenever I have an urge to listen to "early" Stones material, my two go two albums are Flowers and Between the Buttons.

Definitely going to listen to "Complicted" today.....smileys with beer

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 24, 2022 15:18

Great song from a pretty decent album. Far better than most people give it credit for. The Stones trying to be The Kinks.

Date: February 24, 2022 15:23

Big Al
Yes, as with every other Between the Buttons track, it's really good. I'm in a slight minority, I feel, but, I've always preferred Between the Buttons to Aftermath.

Same! Unashamedly!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 24, 2022 16:41

Love it!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 24, 2022 19:50

Great track. Between the buttons might not get the Kudos other Stones albums have, but it’s a great album.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 24, 2022 20:13

They produced enough great songs in one year, 1967, between Flowers , Buttons and Satanic for a really great album

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 21:18 by Taylor1.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 25, 2022 02:45

Another one of those Stones albums that shows the magic of the original line-up.

Date: February 25, 2022 02:49

I think 'Buttons' is a fantastic album. As great as 'Aftermath'. "Complicated" has all the elusive Stones swagger: it's not too fast; that beat, those funky organ chops in there, and the fuzz guitar, which IMO just screams out for Saxophones, it is totally irresistible.
And the 60's Jagger wordplays, hooks. All that underraaated, sophisticaated. reminds me of the Beatles on 'Revolution', for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-25 02:50 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: February 25, 2022 18:50

The album itself feels very mid 60s...which is great..feels like the first time the band had a little "arrogance' in their music/songwriting.
Good record.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: February 25, 2022 20:09

Very umderrated song. And album is great. Coverphoto is Top 3 cover

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 25, 2022 21:34

Their second worst album of the 60s, behind Satanic Majesties. Both have two or three great songs, and a lot of WTF? The production on BTB is thin. Yesterday's Papers, Back Street Girl, She Smiled Sweetly, are wonderful album cuts. Unfortunately there's no song on it that stands out at as a Stones' great single. At least the American version has Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend the Night Together on it. (But lacking the elegant Back Street Girl).

They seem a little burned out on BTB. Same on Satanic Majesties. But Satanic is worth a second listen. Someday soon I intend to sit down and really listen to Satanic. Of course there are the great She's A Rainbow, and 2000 Light Years From Home classics, but there's more to be discovered in the less appreciated cuts. A good pair of headphones will do the trick.

I judge a Stones album on its pull for me to listen to it again. BTB, excepting the three cuts mentioned, doesn't really do that.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 25, 2022 21:53

I always liked it, an nice track!

Date: February 26, 2022 09:32

Between the Buttons is far more enjoyable than Their Satanic Majesty’s Request. I don’t think it’s as awful as some consider it, nor do I resonate with gushing reappraisals that some have given it. They even ruin She’s A Rainbow, with that droning noise at the beginning. 2000 Man, Citadel, and The Lantern are both keepers, yet I’ve never truly liked 2000 Light Years From Home.

Between the Buttons is a little quirky, perhaps. 24FPS, could the album be a little too English for you? It is, admittedly, seemingly somewhat influenced by the swinging London sound of The Kinks. It’s probably their least American-influenced record. I’ve always loved it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 26, 2022 10:44

Big Al

Between the Buttons is a little quirky, perhaps. 24FPS, could the album be a little too English for you? It is, admittedly, seemingly somewhat influenced by the swinging London sound of The Kinks. It’s probably their least American-influenced record. I’ve always loved it.

Maybe. I love them as people, but never got into the Small Faces either. (Except Itchycoo Park) I just think it's not a well thought out album. Like they were up against a deadline. They usually manage to tie their albums together with something coherent. Not this time. A lot of B sides. Something Happened is a lot of fun.

Date: February 26, 2022 11:38

24FPS

Maybe. I love them as people, but never got into the Small Faces either. (Except Itchycoo Park) I just think it's not a well thought out album. Like they were up against a deadline. They usually manage to tie their albums together with something coherent. Not this time. A lot of B sides. Something Happened is a lot of fun.

Yes, I think you've mentioned that you never 'got' the Small Faces before, I recollect. I do sometimes wonder if Springsteen's Americana is, perhaps, a subconscious reason for my reluctance to fully embrace him. I do really like a lot of his songs, but he's so American.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 26, 2022 11:45

24FPS
Something Happened is a lot of fun.

Something Happened To Me is a lot like the ending song on Satanic, On With The Show; it's vaudeville entertainment music

Date: February 26, 2022 11:49

Erik_Snow
24FPS

Something Happened To Me is a lot like the ending song on Satanic, On With The Show; it's vaudeville entertainment music

Yep! I should've added earlier that I do like On With The Show a good bit. I'd say that Satanic Majesty's is half-decent, half rubbish.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 26, 2022 13:07

Big Al
Erik_Snow
24FPS

Yep! I should've added earlier that I do like On With The Show a good bit. I'd say that Satanic Majesty's is half-decent, half rubbish.

Is anyone familiar with an interview with John Lennon in which he apparently said that the Stones song Something Happened To Me Yesterday inspired him/The Beatles during the making of St. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band ?

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home