Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
wyman bass on 81/82 tour
Posted by: DirtyT ()
Date: February 23, 2022 08:42

So good. just saying. really swings, he never looked into it but the proof is in the pudding.

Re: wyman bass on 81/82 tour
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 23, 2022 10:11

Best ever bass player for The Rolling Stones. Unique.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 23, 2022 10:26

He really came into his own in the late 70s, through the late 80s. Miss You, Start Me Up, Harlem Shuffle were tops. Not many bass players can say their contributions to a record are the lead instrument. If he had jumped around, called attention to himself, danced, made it seem like what he did took great effort, he might have been more recognized. He could be pumping out the funkiest lines and look like somebody else must be playing bass.

Amazing that five great talents found each other. Bill wasn't even part of the Alexis Korner scene. Don't know if he ever went there before joining up. Check out the DVD of him playing with Muddy Waters, Junior Parker, and Buddy Guy at Montreaux in 1974. Drinkin' TNT and Smokin' Dynamite. Bill sounds completely different, backing up those blues greats. He was so versatile.

Date: February 23, 2022 15:27

IMO Bill Wyman was the biggest loss in the Stones camp. Everyone else was replaced well. But once Wyman left, they lost the swing.
His playing was awesome in 89/90. Only issue I had, he was using that damn Steinberger, 22 fret.

Date: February 23, 2022 15:57

I have heard several isolated bass tracks played by Bill. He's indeed better than one might think. For the Stones he was the perfect man on the bill.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 23, 2022 16:17

He was always great

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: February 23, 2022 18:05

Yeah, I listened to Wembley 82 in the other day and Wyman is blowing folks away with that base line. I know things always change but he was a way bigger part of their success than some seem to acknowledge. He was/is a force.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 23, 2022 20:38

timmyj3
Yeah, I listened to Wembley 82 in the other day and Wyman is blowing folks away with that base line. I know things always change but he was a way bigger part of their success than some seem to acknowledge. He was/is a force.

Absolutely. One of the best aspects of the last 10 years of Vault/live releases is rediscovering just how perfect Bill was with the band.

Wembley '82 a good example, listen to Bill and Charlie lay down such groovy, swinging rhythms.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: February 23, 2022 21:52

Listen to his playing on L.A. Friday . Just brilliant !!

Date: February 23, 2022 21:58

IrelandCalling4
timmyj3

Absolutely. One of the best aspects of the last 10 years of Vault/live releases is rediscovering just how perfect Bill was with the band.

Wembley '82 a good example, listen to Bill and Charlie lay down such groovy, swinging rhythms.

When he first left, and I heard Voodoo Lounge, I thought well, maybe they'll be okay. His replacement was keeping pretty close to the Wyman style, like Keith did on Happy. Then Bill's stand in drifted away and all was lost. Once that happened it felt like something was missing in the guts of the band, and it never came back.

I find it strange that Keith played bass on the studio Live With Me. Bill's live version is ten times better.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 23, 2022 22:22

Bill made the music sound dangerous.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 24, 2022 13:58

One aspect of Bill's playing I always loved was how his bass lines were often also very musical and interesting harmonies...with a beautiful rise and fall as they underpinned the groove in that unique way with Charlie & Keith.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: February 24, 2022 18:08

Yes, Bill Wymans bass playing with the Stones was an important contribution.
His swinging, warm, melodic and unconventional playing can be heard in so many songs. And his live playing was also swinging.
But times are changing and Darryl Jones is different but also a very good bass player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 18:39 by micha063.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 24, 2022 18:45

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-24 18:57 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: February 24, 2022 21:37

"IMO Bill Wyman was the biggest loss in the Stones camp.'

So true, until Charlie died. They should just stop now.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 24, 2022 22:01

Spodlumt

Why? They still kick ass live. Millions of people love them and still see them in concert. There is nothing better.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: February 24, 2022 22:18

More Hot Rocks
Spodlumt

Why? They still kick ass live. Millions of people love them and still see them in concert. There is nothing better.

I didn't expect it but their last tour was pretty good. They trusted in Steve Jordan and he made it on his personal way. The result was a powerfull sound.
They let themselves go and enjoyed it obviously. And this was not for sure. So they had the courage do go and try it. They had much to loose.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: February 24, 2022 23:04

micha063
More Hot Rocks
Spodlumt

I didn't expect it but their last tour was pretty good. They trusted in Steve Jordan and he made it on his personal way. The result was a powerfull sound.
They let themselves go and enjoyed it obviously. And this was not for sure. So they had the courage do go and try it. They had much to loose.

But its not not the same. I don't think anyone would claim they sound the same.

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: February 25, 2022 09:31

Listen Just My Imagination live version. Bill played just like boxer dances in the ring. It could be 20 min. long song and never boring. Bill is on the top of my favourite bass players. The other two are John Entwistle and Macca.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 25, 2022 09:58

Bill provided an unrivalled groove to the Stones' music - on stage. It's sadly also true that many of his recorded studio contributions were finally overdubbed by Keith or Ronnie. On stage he just made it. He'd given the Stones' sound also that certain something which is missed since he has left.

Date: February 25, 2022 10:09

I certainly wouldn't say the Stones have to quit. There's still money to be made from people that have them on their bucket list. Just because I wouldn't go to a Stones concert doesn't mean I would deprive anyone else of seeing whatever is left. They lost one-fifth of the magic sound, maybe more, when Bill left. (I know Ronnie is good, but not particularly distinctive.) They lost another fifth when Charlie passed. That's the entire Stones rhythm section. Bill already made studio recordings after he left less than they should have been. I have a hard time seeing them getting any better.

The whole thing was chemistry. Five guys, a golden circle. More than the sum of their parts. You don't replace that sound. That's why Mick's solo tour flopped. And no, it won't sound better with Steve and Darryl. It's still good enough for a Greatest Hits Band. That's what they should announce now as they go on: 'Ladies and Gentlemen, the Greatest Hits Band in the World......the Rolling Stones!'

Take that, Journey.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: February 25, 2022 15:36

Bill Wyman's playing in '81 was brilliant. I dont know whether its the Still Life mix, but his sound and playing is so prominent - Just My Imagination is incredible for example, and i spent loads of time in my youth just listening to the bass on Still Life.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 26, 2022 16:14

My 1st Stones show was the recently released Wembley show . I was down in the crush as usual in those days of GA stadiums and I always remember what struck me first was the bass. It literally rattled your chest.They certainly lost something when Bill left and now without Charlie it's gone . Replaced with something surprisingly good but it's gone . Hats off to Steve and Daryll but it will never be the same now.

sc uk

Date: February 26, 2022 23:01

Just listening to Hampton second night, he sounds really good on 20 Flight Rock playing a boogie pattern.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 26, 2022 23:12

Yes, after Darryl Jones he is the best bass player for the Stones ever.

Date: February 27, 2022 01:10

Troll toll.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 27, 2022 04:28

MartinB
micha063
More Hot Rocks
Spodlumt

But its not not the same. I don't think anyone would claim they sound the same.

Definitely not the same - not even similar. Tough shoes to fill for Steve Jordan, but he's done an adequate job in the same way Darryl has.
A majority in attendance probably can't tell the difference and/or don't seem to care about who plays drums or who plays bass anyways.
For many the Stones are Keith and Mick first and foremost, while the others on stage are simply sidemen...including Ronnie.

Date: February 27, 2022 05:43

A majority in attendance probably can't tell the difference and/or don't seem to care about who plays drums or who plays bass anyways.
For many the Stones are Keith and Mick first and foremost, while the others on stage are simply sidemen...including Ronnie.[/quote]

Sad but true. I was at a Stones concert where Mick Taylor played in 2013. They started Midnight Rambler and one girl said to her friend, "That's Mick Taylor!" The other girl said, "Who?"

Date: February 28, 2022 16:35

Yep...and I suspect that most of the audience that day would have been similarly unenlightened.sad smiley

Date: February 28, 2022 16:43

...in fact there'd probably be a few saying who's Keith Richards ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home