Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: RIP Gary Brooker (Procol Harum) 1945 - 2022
Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:08

Very sad news :-(
Besides the Stones, Procol Harum is a very big part & influence.....

Procol Harum Frontman Gary Brooker Dead at 76 (RollingStone.com)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 18:15 by bv.

Re: OT: Gary Brooker (Procol Harum) 1945 - 2022
Date: February 22, 2022 17:19

Supposedly, it's a hoax.

On Monday (February 21) the musician's reps officially confirmed that Gary Brooker is not dead. “He joins the long list of celebrities who have been victimized by this hoax. He's still alive and well, stop believing what you see on the Internet,” they said.

[en.mediamass.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 17:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:22

DandelionPowderman
Gary Brooker is not dead.

"He hath awakened from the dream of life"?

Re:
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 18:17 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:29

This is serious business. Before you declare someone dead check it and double-check it. In this case a quick googling is enough. You need a) a credible source and b) other credible sources acknowledging the fact.
In these days of "fake news" I thought people were aware of these obvious facts.

Re: OT: RIP Gary Brooker (Procol Harum) 1945 - 2022
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:30

DandelionPowderman

Websites & Twitter regarding Procol Harum hacked - [ProcolHarum.com] , [Twitter.com] , [www.YouTube.com] ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 19:00 by Irix.

Date: February 22, 2022 17:33

Irix
DandelionPowderman

Websites & Twitter regarding Procol Harum hacked - [ProcolHarum.com] , [Twitter.com] ?

It's not me who says that he's not dead. I pointed to an alleged hoax, but the website might be dubious.

Date: February 22, 2022 18:10

DandelionPowderman

Gary Brooker isn't anymore - [www.RollingStone.com] , [www.TheGuardian.com] , [UltimateClassicRock.com] , [Variety.com] , [www.BBC.com] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 19:05 by Irix.

Date: February 22, 2022 18:15

[www.YouTube.com]

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale - live in Denmark 2006:

[www.YouTube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 18:35 by Irix.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 22, 2022 18:20

Mediamass...jeez, isn't it the crap website that announced the release of a new Stones album a few years ago with tons of fake details ?

Anyway, RIP Gary Brooker, I was impressed (again) by his musicianship when I watched the Concert for George, he made it look so easy. A shame he didn't maintain mainstream interest, but at least he had it at one time and wrote one of these timeless tracks.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 18:51 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 22, 2022 18:36

RIP

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 22, 2022 19:22

A Whiter Shade Of Pale is clearly one of the best pop songs ever written (although it was a Bach "loan"). It kind of encapsulates the sixties. Perhaps the best psychedelic pop song written also. Rest In Peace, Gary.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 22, 2022 19:26

...With the Paramounts a companion of the Stones at the begining....Sad...

Date: February 22, 2022 19:35

RIP! Thanks for the music.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 22, 2022 19:42

This won't get the news it should but this is truly huge and so sad. Procol Harum are a fantastic band. While the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame means nothing, and I never actually thought Harum deserved to be in, I know they sometimes flip their stances when someone dies and finally induct them. If they did, so sad that literally the one guy that SHOULD be there to accept it is now gone. 76 is far too young. I will blast Simple Sister in his honor, and also of course A Salty Dog. That vocal performance never fails to bring me to tears.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 22, 2022 20:06

Procol Harum is perceived as a one-hit wonder by many--even Rolling Stone cites "A Whiter Shade of Pale" in the headline--but there are so many excellent songs (and albums) in their catalog.

Gary Brooker was an epic talent that has been overlooked and under-appreciated for too many years.

We have lost one of the greats.

RIP Gary.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: February 22, 2022 20:53

Gary also played with Bill Wymans Rhthym Kings for a while.A true talent.May God bless you.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 22, 2022 20:59

Very sad news.....

RIP Gary Brooker

Posted by: EggersBand ()
Date: February 22, 2022 22:30

I Saw the rythm Kings play in Aarhus. Bill was maybe a Little under stress . When his amp failed with smoke and sparks. Bill left the stage and was really pissed off. Gary Broker and a alto sax player look at each other and played a beautyfull version of whiter shade of pale. Fantastic performance . Then they played a jazz song : maling wuppies. And Bill came on stage again . He was sorry about his acting and explained - it was like you had Found a Nice woman and you could not get in the mood. Gary , Bill and rest of the band played fantastic.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 23, 2022 02:05

How I always loved to hear "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and, a little later on, "Homburg" in those now distant days!

Then it was so sad news to read yesterday!

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 23, 2022 03:35

Such a sad new, Procol and the Stones are tje soundtrack of my life. For those that havent heard Procol, go and listen the whole catalloge. A true treasure. Amazing lyrics, great songs and musicianship, and one of the most beautiful singing ever heard. Homburg, A salty dog, As strong as Samson, Gary's ouevre is full of marvels.
A sand so white...and sea so blue: no mortal place at all. Sadly, I'm sad, but my tears are tears of joy. Shine on brightly, mighty Gary

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 23, 2022 03:49

"As Strong As Samson" is a favorite for Procol Harum fans... and for everyone else, a gem flying under the radar waiting to be discovered.

[www.youtube.com]

I think it might have inspired Elvis Costello when he recorded Imperial Bedroom.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 23, 2022 06:17

Thanks for the great memories.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 23, 2022 08:01

I am deeply saddened by this news. Procol is near the top of the list of my favorite groups ever. I was enthralled by their music back in the day. Gary’s phrase in A Salty Dog where he sings “Across the strait, around the horn” has always moved me, so beautiful and pure. I was fortunate to have seen them perform live in 1969 a few times, and in recent years as well.

The irony: this morning I was watching a 1970 documentary on Procol Harum on YouTube.
A Whiter Shade of Pale is timeless, inspired by Bach’s Air on the G String, thought by many to one of the most beautiful, moving pieces ever composed.

RIP Mr. Brooker. The world of music has lost a giant.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 23, 2022 08:36

DaveG
I am deeply saddened by this news. Procol is near the top of the list of my favorite groups ever. I was enthralled by their music back in the day. Gary’s phrase in A Salty Dog where he sings “Across the strait, around the horn” has always moved me, so beautiful and pure. I was fortunate to have seen them perform live in 1969 a few times, and in recent years as well.

Very lucky to have seen them back then, I'm very jealous. I saw Gary and the band maybe 5 years ago, and they were great but it was nothing like the original thing.

You hit on something though: when Gary sang A Salty Dog, I think it gets me every time. And honestly, watch pretty much any video on YouTube, he ALWAYS nails it. He could be a little worse for wear at times, but someone he ALWAYS pulled off A Salty Dog. He was a great singer, but particularly that song was a showcase I feel he nailed every night it seemed. And specifically the line you mention also moves me and I think thats in no small part also because of when BJ Wilson's drums kick in so perfectly. So simple, but its perfectly placed and timed and both of them together elicit the emotion I imagine we both feel every time.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 23, 2022 08:37

I only know the one song, but it’s a good-un. My late father loathed it, though.

Rest in peace, Gary Brooker

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: February 23, 2022 08:45

Was Music For The Marsden, the all-star charity event at the O2 Arena, March 3, 2020, his last public appearance and performance on stage?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 23, 2022 08:53

RollingFreak
DaveG

Very lucky to have seen them back then, I'm very jealous. I saw Gary and the band maybe 5 years ago, and they were great but it was nothing like the original thing.

You hit on something though: when Gary sang A Salty Dog, I think it gets me every time. And honestly, watch pretty much any video on YouTube, he ALWAYS nails it. He could be a little worse for wear at times, but someone he ALWAYS pulled off A Salty Dog. He was a great singer, but particularly that song was a showcase I feel he nailed every night it seemed. And specifically the line you mention also moves me and I think thats in no small part also because of when BJ Wilson's drums kick in so perfectly. So simple, but its perfectly placed and timed and both of them together elicit the emotion I imagine we both feel every time.

Yes, you’re absolutely right. And, though over time, his voice had gotten a bit gravelly, he could still deliver that line in A Salty Dog.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: February 23, 2022 09:55

Gone too soon.

Thank you for the music.

God bless you. Safe journey.

d.f

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: February 23, 2022 10:07

A Whiter Shade of Pale was one of the soundtracks to my teenage years, a song - like Homburg- where we sang along to the lyrics but didn't understand them. I still listen to Homburg regularly but Salty Dog, although my favourite, is just too sad and achingly beautiful.

I saw Gary with the Rythmn Kings a few years ago, the first time Bill had been back to my home town since the Stones performed there in 1965, and I was at that gig too.

It's the mark of a truly great musician that he is so respected by his peers that he is invited to join with other such people to make music just for the fun of it, just like the Wilburys and , in Gary's case, the Rythmn Kings.

Another good man gone to the great gig in the sky. We should cherish Chris Farlowe, Georgie Fame, Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne and other while we still have the chance.

I'm so sad today.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home