Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Richard Houghton's Book On The Stones 1972 Tour
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 21, 2022 22:55

Was anyone here approached by Richard to contribute their personal story about the Rolling Stones 1972 tour of America? I posted a few brief paragraphs on a thread that appeared here on IORR about 8 months ago & he contacted me via email and requested a longer version of my story. I submitted it and apparently it will be included in his book due out this Spring/Early Summer. I was just curious to see if any of you wrote a portion of this book.

Re: Richard Houghton's Book On The Stones 1972 Tour
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 22, 2022 11:20

some how i missed this was happening

very exciting

i'm too young to have been there

but i know someone who was at the 2nd seattle show

he remembers being disappointed by the stones performance after stevie wonder quote "blew em' off stage"

and him and a couple of his friends from school brought gas masks in case of tear gas

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 22, 2022 13:39

I doubt Stevie Winder blew the Stones off the stage

Date: February 22, 2022 14:37

to be fair i've never heard a recording of stevie's set from that show (or any from the tour) but from the stones recordings i've heard they where a tad rusty compared to later on in the tour those first 3 shows

and i can imagine that wonderlove probably wasn't

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:47

ProfessorWolf
to be fair i've never heard a recording of stevie's set from that show (or any from the tour) but from the stones recordings i've heard they where a tad rusty compared to later on in the tour those first 3 shows

I agree they were better later on the tour, but IMO , no band in 1972 could blow them off the stage

Date: February 22, 2022 17:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 18:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 22, 2022 17:55

Taylor1
ProfessorWolf

I agree they were better later on the tour, but IMO , no band in 1972 could blow them off the stage

i agree but not the band in those first 3 shows

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 22, 2022 21:50

Always interesting with more '72 literature. Hope it'll be good! smiling smiley

As for who blew who off stage, it's usually a silly and subjective comparison (except in some cases where the "big" band was going downhill and the "small" one was truly special and full of energy, maybe like Sabbath and Van Halen in '78 or so).

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 22, 2022 22:11

ProfessorWolf

very exciting

he remembers being disappointed by the stones performance after stevie wonder quote "blew em' off stage"

and him and a couple of his friends from school brought gas masks in case of tear gas

My uncle was at the 1972 Texas show where they played Sweet Black Angel for the only time live. He also mentioned that Stevie Wonder impressed him more than the Stones.

Date: February 23, 2022 09:03

NashvilleBlues
ProfessorWolf

very exciting

My uncle was at the 1972 Texas show where they played Sweet Black Angel for the only time live. He also mentioned that Stevie Wonder impressed him more than the Stones.

see and this was well into the tour with the band at there peak

boy did they know how to pick there openers back then

makes me think sighunts next campaign should be to get that lost stones/stevie wonder live album out

but as for what my friend told me

keep in mind

this is the memory shared with me by a guy who was 16 at the time 50 years ago

also worth mentioning he taped the show too (but is not willing to share though i've asked and it's not circulating)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 23, 2022 18:03

Yes, LieB, I hope this book turns out to be a special tribute to the Stones and that 1972 Tour. I wish more folks from this board were participating. I don't recall Stevie Wonder being that fabulous...he is always very good but it's doubtful that he " blew the Stones off the stage"...and for the fans, we were not there to see Little Stevie Wonder...especially after thinking the show might be canceled, we were very excited to see Mick & Company! I remember being fascinated with Mick Taylor's playing...it was my first time seeing the Stones and I was taking in EVERYTHING! My journal recorded many details, which is why Richard contacted me, I'm assuming. Anyway, I can't wait to read this book!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 23, 2022 20:53

I think it is important to remember that while Stevie Wonders band was indeed a great opening act, in no way could they touch what the Stones brought on that tour. I was 19 at that time and saw 2 shows. Chicago and Denver. The Rolling Stones were a seriously powerful band on the 1972 tour.

Date: February 23, 2022 21:39

filstan
I think it is important to remember that while Stevie Wonders band was indeed a great opening act, in no way could they touch what the Stones brought on that tour. I was 19 at that time and saw 2 shows. Chicago and Denver. The Rolling Stones were a seriously powerful band on the 1972 tour.

for what its worth i personally agree with you

though i can't say i was luck enough to see them in 72 not being born for 20 years but having heard recordings from the tour its seems hard to imagine any band at any time in history playing better

still its all a matter of opinion isn't it

but getting back to the topic

i have high hopes for this book and maybe a couple other good books on the stones this year

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 23, 2022 21:47

It's possible someone blew them off the stage. I witnessed on opening night in '89 at the Los Angeles Coliseum when Guns and Roses made the Stones look like creaky old men. I also was there for the closing 4th night and the Stones blew them away. It happens in showbiz. On another thread I mentioned the Stones not sounding so great on the non-Toronto Love You Live cuts. I thought they sounded better at Knebworth. It happens. Every performer/band can have an off night.

Date: February 23, 2022 22:28

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-23 22:29 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 23, 2022 22:41

ProfessorWolf

That's no surprise, as the Seattle shows were the definite weakest concerts of 1972, not at all comparable with how they played later on

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: February 24, 2022 00:22

Saw them msg in 72. I like stevie wonder alot. Did he blow them off the stage?Hell no!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2089
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home