Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo to be released
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 4, 2022 15:12

dcba
TheGreek

This is a great point and goes with Experience Hendrix as well. Very few non-Boomers will buy these rarities physical deluxe packages, and that’s where the companies make their money. It’s like they don’t understand the market.

Exactly , as if they don't understand they are leaving $ behind !

Jagger must have come to the realisation that compared to a 5?-8? million gig it's peanuts. And it's a lot of work for him : revisiting the past - sth he never was confortable with - choosing the best outtakes, writing new lyrics, adding musical parts and... facing disappointing sales.

Nah planning a bunch of gigs is the better option.

Sadly the best times to release these outtakes or live shows from the vaults are way down the past, about 20-25 years too late,

The sales now for vintage acts are almost zero, over 60-70% of the buying public interested is dead and the tourists going to Stones shows now could care less about shows from 50 years ago or outtakes, they know a couple of warhorses and that's it.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 4, 2022 17:00

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 4, 2022 23:23

retired_dog

Basically yes, but due to my old age I'm tempted to say "f**k these rules" and give us whatever you want to give us,

Agree!! Bring on MSG 2003.

Or did you perhaps mean 'Give me what I want, and give it now' ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-04 23:42 by GhostTown2021.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 5, 2022 10:09

GhostTown2021
retired_dog

Basically yes, but due to my old age I'm tempted to say "f**k these rules" and give us whatever you want to give us,

/quote]

Why? Don't you already have it?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 5, 2022 10:21

El Mocambo from the days when the guys were dangerous.Really looking forward to this release!

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 5, 2022 10:58

24FPS
GhostTown2021
retired_dog

/quote]

Why? Don't you already have it?

I do smiling smiley But I thought that that is what they want to give us.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 5, 2022 12:34

GhostTown2021
retired_dog

Or did you perhaps mean 'Give me what I want, and give it now' ?

My quote is taken out of context... Someone mentioned Keith's Toronto 1977 session as a bonus for El Mocambo while others claimed that these were solo recordings and as such against the "no solo recordings on a Stones release - rule" or thematically unfitting.

MSG 2003 is meh, or let's say a release for the more adventurous amongst us...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 5, 2022 12:35

stargroover
"Mocambo from the days when the guys were dangerous... and in danger!

Would have made a nice promo phrase back in the 80's!

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: March 5, 2022 18:36

the official announcement will be on monday there will be a version of carnaby or it is not likely

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 5, 2022 19:46

mick64
the official announcement will be on monday there will be a version of carnaby or it is not likely
Can you explain what your'e saying? Do you know for a fact that there will be a announcement, or is this qualified guessing?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2022 19:48

The first info about the announcement was that it will be on March 11. I also heard it could be next Wednesday (9 March).

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 5, 2022 20:05

Cristiano Radtke

The first info about the announcement was that it will be on March 11.

But there's currently no "preview-link" for the CD/LP-release on Amazon or other Online-Stores?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2022 20:16

Irix
Cristiano Radtke

The first info about the announcement was that it will be on March 11.

But there's currently no "preview-link" for the CD/LP-release on Amazon or other Online-Stores?

You are correct. I couldn't find anything about this release on many online stores including Amazon. At least not yet.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 5, 2022 21:17

From an iHeart radio station. No source cited. Perhaps it's this very thread:

Keefer

REPORT: THE ROLLING STONES PREPPING 1977 CLUB GIG FOR RELEASE

Mar 4, 2022

REPORT: THE ROLLING STONES PREPPING 1977 CLUB GIG FOR RELEASE (03/04/2022)

Industry and fans whispers put the Rolling Stones' 1977 El Mocambo Tavern gigs as the band's latest vault release. Although four selections from the famed Toronto club gigs found their way onto that year's double concert album, Love You Live, the tapes of the show in varying quality have made the rounds on the underground for decades. According to sources, an announcement regarding the release is coming as soon as next week.

It was on February 27th, 1977, while in Toronto for the 500-seat El Mocambo dates, that Keith Richards was arrested for possession of heroin. Richards was awakened by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who found five grams of cocaine and 22 grams of heroin in his room, among other substances. Richards was charged with "possession of cocaine and heroin with intent to traffic."

Although Richards was eventually released on $25,000 bail, due to the trafficking charge, he faced a minimum seven-year prison term if found guilty. Richards, who due to his growing and public drug use had been on the wrong side of the law since 1967, was now facing the most serious criminal charge of his life.

He eventually received a suspended sentence after the court concluded that Richards did not bring the drugs into the country, but rather purchased them while in Canada.

Songs performed by The Stones on March 4th & 5th, 1977 at Toronto's El Mocambo Tavern:

"Honky Tonk Women"

"All Down The Line"

"Hand Of Fate"

"Route 66"

"Fool To Cry"

"Mannish Boy"

"Crackin' Up"

"Melody" - live premiere

"Dance Little Sister" - live premiere

"Around And Around"

"Star Star"

"Worried About You" - live premiere

"Let's Spend The Night Together"

"Little Red Rooster"

"Crazy Mama" - live premiere

"Tumbling Dice"

"Happy"

"Hot Stuff"

"Worried Life Blues" - live premiere

"It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It)"

"Rip This Joint"

"Luxury"

"Brown Sugar"

"Jumpin' Jack Flash"

[kbco.iheart.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2022 21:45

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that as an addition to all those great R&B standards, they gave live premiere for four originals. An exciting set list indeed.

I recall that there was some talk at the time that they were planning to release "Worried About You" as a single from the set. The song didn't even made LOVE YOU LIVE, so they probably weren't that happy with their performance of it.

- Doxa

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 5, 2022 21:49

smileys with beer "Melody" - live premiere

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 5, 2022 21:51

GhostTown2021
24FPS

I think in general the closer in time the Stones were to the songs they wrote, the better they were performed.

So 1978 tour must be high on your list of tours?[/quote'

I love the Some Girls Blu Ray. It probably helps that is was a small theater gig. Most of these songs are still great on the 81/82 tour. They hadn't played them for that many people on the short 14-date U.S. tour in '78. Miss You still has its funk. (Though it never lost it completely while Wyman was still on bass). Keith is on the comeback and playing great. (Which might have been the problem with the LYL material from Paris. He was deep into junk.)

I was watching a recent performance of Street Fighting Man. Mick just sorts of hollers the words out there with no emotion. Their songs used to feel connected to their lives. Even though Ghost Town is a bit of a Specials ripoff, it's still grounded in current events. And Easy Sleazy is easily the best non-Stones Stones song in decades.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 6, 2022 00:21

bye bye johnny
From an iHeart radio station. No source cited. Perhaps it's this very thread:

Keefer

REPORT: THE ROLLING STONES PREPPING 1977 CLUB GIG FOR RELEASE

Mar 4, 2022

REPORT: THE ROLLING STONES PREPPING 1977 CLUB GIG FOR RELEASE (03/04/2022)

Industry and fans whispers put the Rolling Stones' 1977 El Mocambo Tavern gigs as the band's latest vault release. Although four selections from the famed Toronto club gigs found their way onto that year's double concert album, Love You Live, the tapes of the show in varying quality have made the rounds on the underground for decades. According to sources, an announcement regarding the release is coming as soon as next week.

It was on February 27th, 1977, while in Toronto for the 500-seat El Mocambo dates, that Keith Richards was arrested for possession of heroin. Richards was awakened by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who found five grams of cocaine and 22 grams of heroin in his room, among other substances. Richards was charged with "possession of cocaine and heroin with intent to traffic."

Although Richards was eventually released on $25,000 bail, due to the trafficking charge, he faced a minimum seven-year prison term if found guilty. Richards, who due to his growing and public drug use had been on the wrong side of the law since 1967, was now facing the most serious criminal charge of his life.

He eventually received a suspended sentence after the court concluded that Richards did not bring the drugs into the country, but rather purchased them while in Canada.

Songs performed by The Stones on March 4th & 5th, 1977 at Toronto's El Mocambo Tavern:

"Honky Tonk Women"

"All Down The Line"

"Hand Of Fate"

"Route 66"

"Fool To Cry"

"Mannish Boy"

"Crackin' Up"

"Melody" - live premiere

"Dance Little Sister" - live premiere

"Around And Around"

"Star Star"

"Worried About You" - live premiere

"Let's Spend The Night Together"

"Little Red Rooster"

"Crazy Mama" - live premiere

"Tumbling Dice"

"Happy"

"Hot Stuff"

"Worried Life Blues" - live premiere

"It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It)"

"Rip This Joint"

"Luxury"

"Brown Sugar"

"Jumpin' Jack Flash"

[kbco.iheart.com]
Dance Little Sister was played on the 1975 tour

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 7, 2022 05:56

Maybe Keith's solo recordings post-Mocambo shows will be included!?

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: March 7, 2022 07:46

Here’s two pages regarding the El Mocambo gigs from Barbara Charone’s biography of Keith. She was living with Keith & Anita while writing her book.

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 8, 2022 04:34

georgelicks
dcba
TheGreek

This is a great point and goes with Experience Hendrix as well. Very few non-Boomers will buy these rarities physical deluxe packages, and that’s where the companies make their money. It’s like they don’t understand the market.

Jagger must have come to the realisation that compared to a 5?-8? million gig it's peanuts. And it's a lot of work for him : revisiting the past - sth he never was confortable with - choosing the best outtakes, writing new lyrics, adding musical parts and... facing disappointing sales.

Sadly the best times to release these outtakes or live shows from the vaults are way down the past, about 20-25 years too late,

The sales now for vintage acts are almost zero, over 60-70% of the buying public interested is dead and the tourists going to Stones shows now could care less about shows from 50 years ago or outtakes, they know a couple of warhorses and that's it.

I have hope that the people that could care less have ventured into previous vault releases and have been pleased, regardless of buying or streaming.

For those that could not care less, well, it doesn't matter at all.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 8, 2022 11:06

A couple of years ago there was an interview with Eddie Kramer about recording the El Mocambo gigs. In this interview he stated that the first show could not be used due to malfunctioning equipment, causing crackles, pops and hiss. He was nervous for the second show recording as he knew this was the last chance to make a good recording.

Does anyone know where to find this interview?

Mathijs

Date: March 8, 2022 11:32

Looking forward to this release!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: novica ()
Date: March 8, 2022 11:49

is there any video footage taken in El Mocambo?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 8, 2022 12:06

keefgotsoul
Here’s two pages regarding the El Mocambo gigs from Barbara Charone’s biography of Keith. She was living with Keith & Anita while writing her book.

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

So it looks like we’ll be getting the second night…Dandy earlier mentioned an announcement this Friday

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: March 8, 2022 13:49

Possibly here:
[www.youtube.com]

GasLightStreet
georgelicks
dcba
TheGreek

I have hope that the people that could care less have ventured into previous vault releases and have been pleased, regardless of buying or streaming.

For those that could not care less, well, it doesn't matter at all.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: March 9, 2022 03:23

Radio silence!!!! Is it going to happen???

Date: March 9, 2022 08:41

yearsinthemaking
Radio silence!!!! Is it going to happen???

Two more days, methinks.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 9, 2022 10:14

georgelicks
dcba
TheGreek

Correct George. Their unfortunate habit of canning live releases from their best years was so counterproductive. Hampton 81 for example should have had a VHS release in the 80s, when the home rental market was strong.

The stuff everyone here wants to hear may only surface long after the band has gone, in much the same way new Hendrix msterial has been monetised.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 9, 2022 11:27

georgelicks
dcba
TheGreek

So what’s the point of the repeated mentioning of sales this and sales that? I couldn’t care less if I’m the only one who buys the treasures that come out this year.

The Grateful Dead have a subscription for their Dave’s Picks series where they release four shows per year. I believe they cap at around 22,000 physical units per release. Plus they do one or two other releases each year. I’ve never questioned their business model for doing such decisions. It’s an absolute pleasure…..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home