Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 10, 2022 09:14

dcba
StonedRambler
Maybe he just didn't care that much anymore since it was clear he was bound to stay with the guys

Freebasing put him down.

I truly believe that and Jo Wood alluded to that in her book.

Date: May 10, 2022 12:42

chevysales
dcba
StonedRambler
Maybe he just didn't care that much anymore since it was clear he was bound to stay with the guys

Freebasing put him down.

I truly believe that and Jo Wood alluded to that in her book.

I read somewhere -long ago- that Keith got very upset about it and insisted that Ron Wood should stop it, which he luckily did.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 10, 2022 14:51

"I've just been listening to Rory Gallagher's brother on the radio. He says that when Rory went to Rotterdam to jam with The Stones, he was in the studio with Mick Jagger. Jagger spilt coffee over his hand and Rory said "Hot stuff" and added "There's a title for you"!

[www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 10, 2022 14:54

I´m not so excited about the new tour - I got tickets for only one show - but I´m VERY excited about this release. I will try hard to make peace with that ugly reverb as the setlist and playing is Stones at their peak. There will be no better release ever (maybe a more dry mixed update)

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 17:19

Taylor1
The Stones have never sounded as great without Bill. You can hear what he brought to the band on this El Mocambo release

That's right! He sounds swinging, warm, groovy and in in top shape on this release!
And it's the greatest release in years! We've been waiting for 45 years for this. I'm one of those, who liked LYL from its release. But this is outstanding. Why the hell didn't they release this Mocambo show in 1977? We will never know it...

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: May 10, 2022 17:22

deardoctor
There will be no better release ever (maybe a more dry mixed update)

I guess you are right. Maybe Paris 76. But the new tour will blow our minds, I am sure of it.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 10, 2022 17:52

TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
Well, he is playing live as opposed to Mandel in the studio.But I also love Mandel on Hot Stuff.Wood sounds great on this release.Compared to how he mostlyplayed in 1997-2006

It has not so much to do with live or studio playing. Mandel's solo on Hot Stuff is well-thought-out as opposed to Ron's solo that is more based on traditional/cliche licks, or even Mick Taylor whose solo's are based on melodic intuition and also traditional blues licks. I think Mandel's approach probably was too "intellectual" for the Stones. Maybe one of the reasons why Jagger didn't want him for the Stones. Keith: I don't know what he thought about it.

Jagger wanted Mandel, Richards did not. “Too many effect boxes” or something like that.

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: May 10, 2022 17:57

keith is a wood´s friend

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 17:58

chevysales
The guitars on Hot Stuff sound great. Bob Clearmountain did a fantastic job bringing them out in all there glory. Clean sounding
He sure did. Too bad he didn't do the same for Ladies and Gentlemen 1972. Or maybe give him the Philly 1972 shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 18:03 by Taylor1.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 18:18

I do really want the coloured vinyl of this one!!! One day will add to the collection LOL

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 10, 2022 18:24

TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
Well, he is playing live as opposed to Mandel in the studio.But I also love Mandel on Hot Stuff.Wood sounds great on this release.Compared to how he mostlyplayed in 1997-2006

It has not so much to do with live or studio playing. Mandel's solo on Hot Stuff is well-thought-out as opposed to Ron's solo that is more based on traditional/cliche licks, or even Mick Taylor whose solo's are based on melodic intuition and also traditional blues licks. I think Mandel's approach probably was too "intellectual" for the Stones. Maybe one of the reasons why Jagger didn't want him for the Stones. Keith: I don't know what he thought about it.

Jagger wanted Mandel, Richards did not. “Too many effect boxes” or something like that.

Nobody wanted Mandel as he was way to freaky for the Stones, and an American. Wayne Perkins came really close to getting the job, but in the end they decided he was too much like Mick Taylor (a virtuoso lead guitarist and not much of a rhythm player), and that the band was a British band.

Mathijs

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 10, 2022 18:28

VoodooLounge13
I do really want the coloured vinyl of this one!!! One day will add to the collection LOL

20% off at UDiscovermusic when you give them your email address. I got the colored 4 LP for $131 after taxes, etc. with the 20% off.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 10, 2022 18:58

I'm not usually that big on live albums but this sounds amazing so far, Hot Stuff in particular. Looking forward to the full album.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 10, 2022 19:31

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

20% off at UDiscovermusic when you give them your email address. I got the colored 4 LP for $131 after taxes, etc. with the 20% off.
What a bargain! 131$ for a 4 LP album is a steal.

(sorry, couldn't resist. It's still fckng extensive but with this album I can understand to pay it)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 10, 2022 20:09

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-11 13:50 by schillid.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 21:30

Gonna wait and see what happens.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2022 21:47

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

In less than a year there will be massive discounts of up to 50% off or more just as there is with all these exclusive/deluxe releases.
Outside of the diehards, doubt there's many people who actually will give a crap about this release - especially as an overpriced colored vinyl set.
The minimal two cd set itself is overpriced at apprx. $30 (wtf!), so sales overall for this release will be quite slim, and doubt it will dent any music charts.
That said, looking forward to the cd set....arena sound and all, and in the meantime will wait patiently for the massive discounts that are bound to happen eventually.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 21:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 10, 2022 21:50

Mathijs
TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

Nobody wanted Mandel as he was way to freaky for the Stones, and an American. Wayne Perkins came really close to getting the job, but in the end they decided he was too much like Mick Taylor (a virtuoso lead guitarist and not much of a rhythm player), and that the band was a British band.

Mathijs

Nobody wanted Mandel yet he was specifically invited to play on the sessions? I think you need to read the interview he gave on the topic.

Richards wanted Perkins because they got along great, and Jagger wanted Mandel because he was more experimental. That’s why they were invited to the sessions. In the end, they compromised with a British guy.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 10, 2022 22:04

I didn't realize Howie Mandel played on Hot Stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 22:37 by ryanpow.

Date: May 10, 2022 22:27

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

Mathijs

Nobody wanted Mandel yet he was specifically invited to play on the sessions? I think you need to read the interview he gave on the topic.

Richards wanted Perkins because they got along great, and Jagger wanted Mandel because he was more experimental. That’s why they were invited to the sessions. In the end, they compromised with a British guy.

In my personal opinion the Stones would musically have been best off with a variety of professional session players over the years, both live and in the studio.
I have read several statements from Jagger and Richards on Taylor's replacement and they are full of contradictions. The rest is history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 22:58 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: May 10, 2022 22:56

Hairball
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

In less than a year there will be massive discounts of up to 50% off or more just as there is with all these exclusive/deluxe releases.
Outside of the diehards, doubt there's many people who actually will give a crap about this release - especially as an overpriced colored vinyl set.
The minimal two cd set itself is overpriced at apprx. $30 (wtf!), so sales overall for this release will be quite slim, and doubt it will dent any music charts.
That said, looking forward to the cd set....arena sound and all, and in the meantime will wait patiently for the massive discounts that are bound to happen eventually.

Are you sure? Most of these colored release are now overpriced
[44AAOSwJ~didZi9&pageci=95f39e4d-25dc-4d7d-acd3-f22eb91164fa&redirect=mobile" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-10 23:01 by 5strings.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 10, 2022 22:59

Mandel also played the electric guitar on Memory Motel.Inever knew Mick wanted him , although Iknew Keith wanted Perkins if Mick agreed which he did not.But I would think since they both played on tracks which were released on the album they were considered for the position

Date: May 10, 2022 22:59

5strings
Hairball
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Are you sûre?
[44AAOSwJ~didZi9&pageci=95f39e4d-25dc-4d7d-acd3-f22eb91164fa&redirect=mobile" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

People can list anything on ebay at any price, and it does not reflect the actual value.

Date: May 10, 2022 23:11

Taylor1
Mandel also played the electric guitar on Memory Motel.Inever knew Mick wanted him , although Iknew Keith wanted Perkins if Mick agreed which he did not.But I would think since they both played on tracks which were released on the album they were considered for the position

Ron Wood was the logical choice. Not a big musical ego, easy to work with and a showman, looking like a Rolling Stone. Very important.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 10, 2022 23:56

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2022 00:25

Thanks .... just what i thought

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2022 00:26

rogerriffin

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: May 11, 2022 02:10

hot smiley
Rip it up!!!

Date: May 11, 2022 03:55

Looks like Bill didn't make it in to any of the pics whatsoever - not even any of the pics in the booklet. A shame....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2022 08:07

Hairball
Looks like Bill didn't make it in to any of the pics whatsoever - not even any of the pics in the booklet. A shame....

He was never exciting or engaging. He just kinda stood there.

Seems reasonable.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home