Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283Next
Current Page: 82 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2022 07:20

24FPS
Testify
24FPS
I'm still listening to it. I'm not sure we'll ever get as amazing a release as El Mocambo for the Stones, ever. I can't even imagine what would be left of that magnitude. The Golden Era Stones, live, with something to prove. Now that I have it, I realize Love You Live was a big mistake. El Mocambo should have been the release.
Things must always be contextualised, in my opinion LYL was perfect in 1977, I don't know how commercially productive El Mocambo would have been.
Mind you ... I love El Mocambo, but I have always considered LYL (along with Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out) the best live ever.
It is wrong to compare LYL with El Mocambo live because they are two different albums, the first one tries to reproduce the stadium tour of those years, there is only one side of disc 2 of the concert of El Mocambo, while this live El Mocambo is the whole amazing concert.
Now I'm happy to have them both!

I thought LYL sucked when I bought it in 1977. Things had been going downhill since Exile and LYL just didn't cut it. The only good thing was the El Mocambo side 3 cuts. They really stuck out from the rest of the package. I went back and listened to LYL to make sure time hadn't changed my opinion. Maybe there were better shows they could have picked from. As it was, they were really weak. I was greatly relieved when Some Girls came out and resurrected the band's reputation.

I love LYL simply because of how bad they were, overall. Honky Tonk Women is stellar - the rest, except IORR, Star Star, You Gotta Move and YCAGWYA are brilliantly awful.

Side 3... listen to that now and then knowing that EL MOCAMBO is out... still incredible.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: December 15, 2022 07:55

If You Can't Rock me on LYL,'brilliantly awfu'l?? Happy? Hot Stuff? Sympathy??

I don't think that's a fair assessment. The only track I dislikeis JJF as I find the sloppy vocals ('Jumpin' Jair Flair') unlistenable.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: December 15, 2022 14:39

Just wanted to say that I love "Tumbling Dice" on LYL. Organs and Keiths backing vocals are awesome plus Ollies percussion and Charlies laid back drumming are very sweet too. But Micks singing is better on El Mocambos TD.

Date: December 15, 2022 14:43

schwonek
Just wanted to say that I love "Tumbling Dice" on LYL. Organs and Keiths backing vocals are awesome plus Ollies percussion and Charlies laid back drumming are very sweet too. But Micks singing is better on El Mocambos TD.

The TD lyrics on El Mocambo are hilarious grinning smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 15, 2022 14:55

schwonek

I agree 100%, TD from LYL is one of my favourite versions ever. Note it's Keith's tempo (105 bpm?). The same as BA98 5th night but in the Vegas era I prefer a somewhat faster tempo. In 1976 with Billy and Ollie it just grooves magically despite the slow battle ship approach...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 15, 2022 15:45

I love LYL, apart from the jarring side 3. Which, in itself is quite fabulous, it just does not belong on LYL. I had not listened to Side 3 for decades.

THE NEWish El Mocambo Set is stupendous BECAUSE it all belongs. I listen to all of it, all the time.

Rod

Date: December 15, 2022 15:55

I just noticed that Crackin' Up is 1:36 minutes shorter than the LYL-version on El Mocambo.

El Mocambo:

Love You Live:

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 15, 2022 16:36

DandelionPowderman
I just noticed that Crackin' Up is 1:36 minutes shorter than the LYL-version on El Mocambo.

El Mocambo:

Love You Live:

Errr.... Band Intro.

I can try and check for playback speed within the song body. But I do not think there will be more than a second or two difference.

Date: December 15, 2022 16:54

ironbelly
DandelionPowderman

El Mocambo:

Love You Live:

Errr.... Band Intro.

I can try and check for playback speed within the song body. But I do not think there will be more than a second or two difference.

It must be sped-up, then (LYL is 5:40 and EM is 4:14). I wonder why they do that confused smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 15, 2022 17:11

DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman

El Mocambo:

Love You Live:

Errr.... Band Intro.

It must be sped-up, then (LYL is 5:40 and EM is 4:14). I wonder why they do that confused smiley
No, they did not. No crucial speed up whatsoever!

Look at the wave forms.
4.14 +- a second or two is the song itself. The rest is band introduction.
Those pictures are from the tracks from the recent El Mocambo CD 2022 and from Japanese SHM-CD prepared as a flat transfer from original master tape.

CBS CD has two extra cue points for that song. I.e., digitally, it is split into three parts.
Part 1, duration 0:32 - Intro to the song with Jagger talking about 'bottom pitcher'
Part 2, duration 3:59 - the song itself
Part 3, duration 1:43 - band intros.

Virgin 1998, Polydor/UM 2009 and flat transfer 2011 versions put Parts 2 and 3 together and glued the 'pitcher' part to the end of 'Mannish Boy'. Thus, total timing ~ 5:41.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-15 17:24 by ironbelly.

Date: December 15, 2022 17:15

Ah! I didn't listen through the LYL-version. All good, then smiling smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 15, 2022 17:49

Isn't it Bottom Pincher? Not Pitcher.

Date: December 15, 2022 17:51

VoodooLounge13
Isn't it Bottom Pincher? Not Pitcher.

Indeed. The bum pincher, eh, bottom pincher from last night... smiling smiley

Date: December 15, 2022 18:03

I love that bit! LOL Mick can be hysterical when he wants to be!!! I, too, echo all the fine sentiment about El Mo. It is - by far - the best damn live album they've ever released, IMO. Far surpassing Ya-Ya's (which I didn't think was worthy of its status anyway, but then I love Flashpoint, soooo grinning smiley) and Brussells.

I've never been a fan of most of their live albums released before they started the whole From The Vault series. Flashpoint and Stripped were the two I listened to the most. I loved the concept of No Security, but it's kind of like a live rarities album vs. an actual concert. I think it would have gone over better if they'd put those songs within the context of a concert setlist, even if they made it, as opposed to taking a full show. So, you have the opener, closer, encores, and in between is the bulk of NS. Otherwise, I like the versions, but it's just stilted to me. The only other live album I listened to with any regularity was Shine A Light.

I virtually never listen to LYL, Still Life, or Got Live.

Post From The Vault, I would say I go back to the Bridges releases the most, after El Mo. Perhaps it's because that was the first tour I saw, and those performances remind of that special night. The band was just so much on fire, and the setlist soooo damn varied!!!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 16, 2022 03:20

DandelionPowderman
Ah! I didn't listen through the LYL-version. All good, then smiling smiley

Puuuuh - and I just thought you discovered a hidden extended dance mix of Crackin' Up on an album that I admittedly don't listen to all too much anymore these days...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2022 06:14

bakersfield
If You Can't Rock me on LYL,'brilliantly awfu'l?? Happy? Hot Stuff? Sympathy??

I don't think that's a fair assessment. The only track I dislikeis JJF as I find the sloppy vocals ('Jumpin' Jair Flair') unlistenable.

I didn't say unlistenable, just brilliantly awful. Big difference. It's their second worst live release ever to my ears. If you can't figure that out critically as a fan then I'm not sure what your point is in regard to "a fair assessment" because it is a fair assessment. It's not even good.

But I love it.

Ronnie has some great licks in SFTD but overall it's a shitshow.

Hot Stuff is hurried. Happy is agitated. Brown Sugar is pretty bad, too many drugs bad, especially the edit. Tumbling Dice is a molasses disaster. Fingerprint File... one of the better tracks, actually. YCAGWYW has its moments, with Mick getting the crowd going and Ronnie going off all Ronnie slopfest. If You Can't Rock Me is too sloppy - and then to include a hurried Get Off Of My Cloud to tag it. Jumpin' Jack is the sound of an airport having every plane crash.

It's audible where their interests were with Honky Tonk, Star Star, Fingerprint, You Gotta Move and IORR.

You ever consider that the band that started work on the beginning of their last seminal "moment" of album making later that year that would produce SOME GIRLS-UNDERCOVER is the same band that toured in 1976-76 and thought that what made up LOVE YOU LIVE was their best performances from the tours overall (sans Toronto in March of 1977) and just two/three years prior were on fire touring GOATS HEAD SOUP with Mick Taylor?

Listen to BRUSSELS and then LOVE YOU LIVE and tell me you don't hear the difference. Fire vs drugged out cruise control.

A sea change happened after those 1975-76 tours and the overdubbing work on the live album. As if the live album was a giant WTF are you DOING? for Mick and Keith. They put more effort into the artwork than the music.

The critics were right - the Stones were bloated.

Get past the chart success and the difference in sound and production between 1974 and 1978 - listen to the change in attack, in attitude, in life.

Then go listen to LIVE IN TEXAS from the 1978 tour and compare that to LOVE YOU LIVE.

Amazing difference. They were brilliantly awful in 1975-76, brilliant in 1978.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2022 07:21

I get that people are nostalgic about LYL but I've never felt it was a top shelf live release, and that side 3 was the best thing about it.

And now that El Mocambo's released...it's not an album that is 'go to'.

It's fine but with everything else out there this one's a low priority.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 16, 2022 16:56

Wembley 1973 would be a fantastic release if given the El Mocambo treatment

Date: December 16, 2022 17:02

treaclefingers
I get that people are nostalgic about LYL but I've never felt it was a top shelf live release, and that side 3 was the best thing about it.

This basically sums up my feelings about it. Still awaiting the arrival of my colored vinyl!!! This will literally be one of the 3 most prized items in my collection, after the Gered Mankovitz's books and the Stu book.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 16, 2022 17:07

treaclefingers

Exactly - with the exceptions of HTW and IORR

Date: December 27, 2022 19:30

At Long Last!!! My coloured vinyl copy of this magnificent show has arrived!!! Woo-Hoo!! This is amongst my most prized Stones items!!!! I absolutely love this show, and this coloured vinyl!!!!

Date: December 27, 2022 20:14

VoodooLounge13
At Long Last!!! My coloured vinyl copy of this magnificent show has arrived!!! Woo-Hoo!! This is amongst my most prized Stones items!!!! I absolutely love this show, and this coloured vinyl!!!!

I picked up the black vinyl yesterday on Amazon.ca

As far as I'm concerned still pricey at $91 Canadian but at least free shipping.

I'm going to wait for awhile for coloured vinyl...it'll either come down in price or sell out and soar.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: December 27, 2022 20:30

VoodooLounge13
I've never been a fan of most of their live albums released before they started the whole From The Vault series. Flashpoint and Stripped were the two I listened to the most. I loved the concept of No Security, but it's kind of like a live rarities album vs. an actual concert. I think it would have gone over better if they'd put those songs within the context of a concert setlist, even if they made it, as opposed to taking a full show. So, you have the opener, closer, encores, and in between is the bulk of NS. Otherwise, I like the versions, but it's just stilted to me. The only other live album I listened to with any regularity was Shine A Light.

Isn't GLIYWI even worthy of a mention? This is by far my favourite official live album (yes, I know that 2 songs are over-dubbed studio tracks). The energy is unbelievable! Compare 'Under My Thumb' to the slow and uninspired '69 versions. Up until '67, they had a youthful energy that was never equalled again.

That said, I've always liked side 3 of LYL far more than the rest of the album (the only track I'm not keen on is 'Little Red Rooster' - it's a bit messy with the 'weaving' twin lead guitars).

Date: December 27, 2022 20:58

Congratulations
VoodooLounge13

Isn't GLIYWI even worthy of a mention? This is by far my favourite official live album (yes, I know that 2 songs are over-dubbed studio tracks). The energy is unbelievable! Compare 'Under My Thumb' to the slow and uninspired '69 versions. Up until '67, they had a youthful energy that was never equalled again.

That said, I've always liked side 3 of LYL far more than the rest of the album (the only track I'm not keen on is 'Little Red Rooster' - it's a bit messy with the 'weaving' twin lead guitars).

I mentioned GLIYWI. It was one of the 3 I listed as ones that I virtually never listen to! LOL The ones that I didn't list fall somewhere above those 3 that I did, but trail Flashpoint, Stripped, and El Mo considerably. Of the officially titled Vault releases, I'd say, I probably listen to San Jose the most, only because I absolutely loved the NS tour. But of all the latter day live releases, hands down, Bremen and Buenos Aries are the two I indulge the most. B2B was my first tour after all, so for me, it's the closest thing to reliving that memorable evening when everything in my music world changed forever and ever!!!!

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: December 27, 2022 22:50

Oops, apologies! Doesn't change my feelings of the Brian-era band live though.

Date: December 27, 2022 22:53

Congratulations
Oops, apologies! Doesn't change my feelings of the Brian-era band live though.

I presume you've heard or have Charlie is My Darling then, the Deluxe package? That is amazing, and as far as box sets are concerned, probably the best one ever released.

Date: December 27, 2022 23:07

I have to agree, treaclefingers!!! Charlie Is My Darling, for me, IS the 60's era Stones sound!!! It's just such a fantastic recording!! Between that and El Mo, I just don't understand how some of these fantastic recordings remained unreleased for so long!!!!

If I had to with a best live album for each decade, for me, the list would like this:

Charlie Is My Darling
El Mocambo
Flashpoint
Bremen
Shine A Light
Sweet Summer Sun

I'm not where to put RNR Circus or Live at the Checkerboard, but both of those also deserve mentioning as two that I listen to a lot and rank among my favorites as well. Checkerboard is a classic live album for me. Probably one of my Top 10 all-time favorite live albums.

Date: January 2, 2023 05:50

micktayloryears
I'd been waiting for this album for decades... I downloaded it onto my itunes and was so happy to finally be able to hear Luxury and other stuff from the mid-seventies...

but, as usual, Ron Flub-Solo Wood killed my ears... during Hot Stuff he fumbles through, literally, the first two notes, and it's downhill from there... for me it's a very flawed recording, and I think the best way to listen to Ron Wood Seventies Live stuff is from bootlegs, because the recordings sound as raw as he did... hearing this era live with remastered sound is like watching an old movie on an HD set... you notice the flaws... with bootlegs the flaws sound intentional though, and is how I prefer it...

I also hated what they did to Luxury; yes, it was a reggae style song on IORR but it was also a rock-groove number... only The Stones could turn something with a reggae flavor into their own thing; but the El Macambo version let the cat out of the bag too much...

so, no, not for me... I think I hate (this is the reason for the edit, i wrote HAD originally) El Macambo more than Love U Live, which is pretty insane because LYL is to me the worst live album by any band ever...

Ron Wood sounds SO MUCH BETTER on Paris-tour bootlegs...

I guess you're aware that pretty soon you'll be standing back against the wall, but thank god we have freedom of speech here...

Date: January 2, 2023 11:07

I find Ronnie's playing on Hot Stuff excellent. Fantastic version, too.

Saying that he is «funbling through» the track isn't correct. I suspect you rather mean that you don't like his style.

Date: January 2, 2023 11:29

DandelionPowderman
I find Ronnie's playing on Hot Stuff excellent. Fantastic version, too.

Saying that he is «funbling through» the track isn't correct. I suspect you rather mean that you don't like his style.

Still scratching my head trying to find out what's not to like with this version - if one likes this song at all, that is. If that's not the case, sure Ronnie can't help - but then probably nobody can.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283Next
Current Page: 82 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home