Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 20, 2022 20:03

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
MKjan
WorriedAboutYou
I always preferred Ron's playing and the looser rock n' roll sound he bought to the Stones over Talyor. I find Taylor's playing too distracting, long-winded and even a bit dated now.

You make a legit point imo.
Long winded ? Nope just brilliant. And this nonsense about his playing being long winded .He hardly ever plays a solo that is evenlong or not concise. His guitar playing was perfect for the band.Woods solos are no less long winded.Youmay not like his playing but his solos are not long winded

No Rolling Stones guitarist ever came closer to BB King's playing than Mick Taylor. That's the end of the Taylor-Wood discussion to me.

Some say it's blasphemy -But I never liked BB King. It's pop ballroom blues to me, and he's really just a one-note wonder.

Mathijs

hmmm...if I'm paraphrasing you here, it sounds like you're saying 'the thrill is gone'.

Date: June 20, 2022 20:12

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
MKjan
WorriedAboutYou
I always preferred Ron's playing and the looser rock n' roll sound he bought to the Stones over Talyor. I find Taylor's playing too distracting, long-winded and even a bit dated now.

Long winded ? Nope just brilliant. And this nonsense about his playing being long winded .He hardly ever plays a solo that is evenlong or not concise. His guitar playing was perfect for the band.Woods solos are no less long winded.Youmay not like his playing but his solos are not long winded

No Rolling Stones guitarist ever came closer to BB King's playing than Mick Taylor. That's the end of the Taylor-Wood discussion to me.

Some say it's blasphemy -But I never liked BB King. It's pop ballroom blues to me, and he's really just a one-note wonder.

Mathijs

Better tell that to our Dutch guitarist Jan Akkerman, or Keith Richards, or Mick Jagger. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-20 20:22 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: June 20, 2022 20:30

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1
MKjan
WorriedAboutYou

Mathijs

Better tell that to our Dutch guitarist Jan Akkerman, or Keith Richards. thumbs up

I don't get, why it's not possible for some not just to let be. Everybody has its own preferences, taste, or what ever and there's no need to make others feel or think the same way. Unless you are a priest, a polititian or a dictator...
And by the way: For me El Mocambo is the greatest release since a long time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-20 20:31 by micha063.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 20, 2022 20:56

micha063

Agree! Since Blue & Lonesome!

Date: June 20, 2022 21:09

micha063

I don't get, why it's not possible for some not just to let be. Everybody has its own preferences, taste, or what ever and there's no need to make others feel or think the same way. Unless you are a priest, a polititian or a dictator...

I agree: it is becoming way too off-topic....

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: June 20, 2022 23:35

Coming back to topic. I just can't get enough of Luxury and Hand of Fate. Awesome versions. I had never heard a Luxury live version.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 20, 2022 23:49

I've had the El Mocambo CD's now for about a week and love every track on it, the more I play it.

Can't really understand some of the moans and groans about these great musical performances.

It's great! smileys with beer

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 20, 2022 23:56

As of late I've been listening to the slow blues songs: WLB and LRR, as well as Melody, on repeat.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2022 00:17

What about the crazy banshee
like screams in It's Only Rock n Roll ..... I like em ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 21, 2022 00:30

Rockman
You are wrong. Yoko was not there winking smiley

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: June 21, 2022 00:37

LeonidP
micha063

Agree! Since Blue & Lonesome!

That's right!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-21 00:38 by micha063.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 21, 2022 01:04

I'm really digging the screwed up endings! Or how some of the songs sound like they leave the atmosphere, like Luxury, and find their way back.

At 4:34 talk about LOVE YOU LIVE and the Mocambo shows (the first minute and a half has It's A Lie, the live studio bottom, way too loud for too long for some reason). Charlie is so out of it!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2022 01:13

Rockman

DADDY!

Date: June 21, 2022 01:48

I like how he changed up the lyrics to Melody.

When it goes from " My car, she took my trailer home, she took my Sunday boots" to "She took my tailored clothes, and she took my Sunday hat". It's elegant, yet somehow trashy at the same time. Quintessential Mick.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-21 02:05 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 21, 2022 02:35

Melody is a lame song, written mostly by Billy Preston .I don’t hear this live version improving on that.

Date: June 21, 2022 03:22

Taylor1
Melody is a lame song

On Opposite Day...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 21, 2022 04:13

ryanpow
Taylor1
Melody is a lame song

On Opposite Day...
On any day.The music was written by Preston , as Bill Wyman has said.His piano and vocals dominate the live version.At least on the studio version Keith plays some nice licks. El Mocambo has some songs which are as good as anything they have done live,like Hot Stuff , Hand of Fate, Tumbling Dice.It also has lame stuff likeMelodyand Worried Life Blues. It also has a weak version of Let’s Spend the Night Together

Date: June 21, 2022 05:10

Taylor1
ryanpow
Taylor1
Melody is a lame song

On Opposite Day...
On any day.The music was written by Preston , as Bill Wyman has said.His piano and vocals dominate the live version.At least on the studio version Keith plays some nice licks. El Mocambo has some songs which are as good as anything they have done live,like Hot Stuff , Hand of Fate, Tumbling Dice.It also has lame stuff likeMelodyand Worried Life Blues. It also has a weak version of Let’s Spend the Night Together

OK man, I'll bite... You're not making any point. I'm sharing stuff that turns me on. I'm not trying to make an argument that it's better or worse than this or that. The point is that I like it. You don't have to like it yourself, but you can't disagree with the fact that I do. I'm done with this conversation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-21 05:12 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2022 06:44

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 21, 2022 07:38

Mathijs
The Sicilian
The El Mocambo version of LSTNT is the absolute worst version of the song I've ever heard.

Knebworth was pretty bad as well. They didn't get it right until 1981.

Mathijs

I agree, 1981 was a definitely a turning point for the song.

Date: June 21, 2022 07:39

Spodlumt
I love the version of LSTNT on El Mocambo...

It's as bad as burnt bacon.

Date: June 21, 2022 07:43

Taylor1
Melody is a lame song, written mostly by Billy Preston .I don’t hear this live version improving on that.

See page 74 first comment.

Date: June 21, 2022 08:08

Rockman

Indeed. Is that someone in the audience??

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 21, 2022 10:17

I´m still excited about this release. My favorits are Hand of Fate and for sure the glorious Luxury. I loved this song for ages and this version has even more of those "calypso-vibes" thanks to Billy and the keyboard. I really dig that one. smiling smiley

Date: June 21, 2022 12:32

The Luxury intro is very weird, but it's a good version as soon as they find the groove.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 21, 2022 12:34

Taylor1
ryanpow
Taylor1
Melody is a lame song

On Opposite Day...

Melody is based on "Do You Love Me" by Billy Preston. Melody on Mocambo is just a band having fun with an unrehearsed jam while half of the band is gone pissing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mathijs

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 21, 2022 13:04

muenke
I´m still excited about this release. My favorits are Hand of Fate and for sure the glorious Luxury. I loved this song for ages and this version has even more of those "calypso-vibes" thanks to Billy and the keyboard. I really dig that one. smiling smiley

Me as well. I think this is not only one of their best archival releases in years but it's also their best live album with Ronnie.

Date: June 21, 2022 16:56

DandelionPowderman
The Luxury intro is very weird, but it's a good version as soon as they find the groove.

I thought so too the first time I heard it.

The 1975 Buffalo version of "Luxury" on Heartbreakers In Buffalo 1975 - VGP-028 was one of their best.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 21, 2022 22:07

The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman

The 1975 Buffalo version of "Luxury" on Heartbreakers In Buffalo 1975 - VGP-028 was one of their best.

Yes, Buffalo is nice, I like the phased (?) guitar from Keith on this one. But the intro riff on EM is extended and this kicks ass, at least for me.cool smiley

Date: June 21, 2022 22:37

muenke
The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman

Yes, Buffalo is nice, I like the phased (?) guitar from Keith on this one. But the intro riff on EM is extended and this kicks ass, at least for me.cool smiley

The open8ng riff isn't played at all smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home