Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 15, 2022 02:33

Melody is just phenomenal!

Date: June 15, 2022 02:43

Vocals are so crisp and clean, music is goose bump worthy. I just can't believe they sat on this for over 40 years. We all knew there was something special there, I would have loved to listened to this on my younger self stereo system.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: June 15, 2022 05:33

Definitely a crown jewel of their releases and fitting for their sixtieth anniversary. Captures the rich history the band has with Toronto.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 15, 2022 06:07

Taylor1
NashvilleBlues
WorriedAboutYou
stargroover
Best Stones live album ever.
And it's in my top 5 Stones albums ever

Agreed on both counts.

This is the most rock and roll album I've ever heard. It's like the Stones' calling card. Everything you heard about the band is true and represented on this swarthy, alpha, swaggering release.

Well said, WAY. It's the epitome of rock n roll. Definitely in their top 2 live releases with Ya-Ya's.
Brussels is as good as both of those if not better.Ditto Atlantic City 1989 and Tokyo 1990

Yes. Brussels is up there. I love Atlantic City 1989, but it’s just outside that top 3 for me.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 15, 2022 13:35

The Sicilian
Vocals are so crisp and clean, music is goose bump worthy. I just can't believe they sat on this for over 40 years. We all knew there was something special there, I would have loved to listened to this on my younger self stereo system.
Big time and agree 1000%. Real head scratcher as to why the Stones would not allow this show to see the light of day for over 45 years . Vocals and playing are top notch here and I can't find a wart or anything to moan about . A must have for any collection .

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 15, 2022 15:12

It would be great if they got to do another club show and dusted off some rarities and released it.But it would take one hell of a show to better El Mocambo.

Forget Brussels Affair ,for me El Mocambo is the definitive Stones Live album.

It would be great if we got the other night released as well.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 15, 2022 16:08

stargroover
It would be great if they got to do another club show and dusted off some rarities and released it.But it would take one hell of a show to better El Mocambo.

I'm a bit hesitant about this. One would probably expect too much and it will most likely turn out as a disappointment because by all accounts, the first show was the (much?) weaker of the two.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 15, 2022 17:55

retired_dog
stargroover

I'm a bit hesitant about this. One would probably expect too much and it will most likely turn out as a disappointment because by all accounts, the first show was the (much?) weaker of the two.
Let it marinate a couple of years. When you heard Brussels the first time it had a newness it no longer has. El Mocambo is great but it lacks the ferocious power of Brussels. There is nothing on El Mocambo that surpasses Brussels tracks like Midnight Rambler , Gimme Shelter You Can't Always Get What You Want and Street Fighting Man. And the best Get Off My cloud, Happy and Jumping Jack Flash Satisfaction can be found on albums like Atlantic City 1989 , Tokyo , 1990 and LA 1975. There are some weak tracks on El Mocambo. Let's Spend The Night Together was done better in 1981 live. And if there were a 1972 live show with the sound quality of El Mocambo it would not be surpassed

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 15, 2022 18:01

Taylor1
retired_dog
stargroover

Let it marinate a couple of years. When you heard Brussels the first time it had a newness it no longer has. El Mocambo is great but it lacks the ferocious power of Brussels. There is nothing on El Mocambo that surpasses Brussels tracks like Midnight Rambler , Gimme Shelter You Can't Always Get What You Want and Street Fighting Man. And the best Get Off My cloud, Happy and Jumping Jack Flash Satisfaction can be found on albums like Atlantic City 1989 , Tokyo , 1990 and LA 1975. There are some weak tracks on El Mocambo. Let's Spend The Night Together was done better in 1981 live. And if there were a 1972 live show with the sound quality of El Mocambo it would not be surpassed

Did we ever get all of the Newcastle 73 show?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 15, 2022 18:48

JumpingKentFlash
Did we ever get all of the Newcastle 73 show?

of course not

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 15, 2022 19:00

Taylor1
retired_dog
stargroover

It's not a question of surpassing something like Brussels or GYYYO (or Atlantic City if you want it), the question is whether ElMo is in the same league or does it, for whatever reason, fall short in comparison. IMO it doesn't, it's right up there, not better, but definitely not any worse.

But while were at it, I think the official Brussels falls short compared to the original Europe 1973 tour compilation(s) by KBFH because they have better versions of at least Gimme Shelter (Wembley), Heartbreaker (Wembley) and Angie. There's rarely a single show where each and every track is "unsurpassable"!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 15, 2022 19:07

Taylor1
retired_dog
stargroover

And why do you say this? When they were playing two shows a day, there were accounts of lackluster performances. Stevie Wonder is great, but when many say he upstaged The Stones on the '72 tour (my uncle, for one), I'm wondering if they were as untouchable as you think. Did you attend a show on the '72 tour?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-15 19:08 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: June 15, 2022 19:47

NashvilleBlues
Taylor1
retired_dog
stargroover

And why do you say this? When they were playing two shows a day, there were accounts of lackluster performances. Stevie Wonder is great, but when many say he upstaged The Stones on the '72 tour (my uncle, for one), I'm wondering if they were as untouchable as you think. Did you attend a show on the '72 tour?
I was too young.But I have heard bootlegs andL&G and the musicianship is great .The sound quality sucks.Mick , Keith Bill,Charlie all of have said the band was at a peak in1972-1973.Doesn’t mean they weren’t great later.And everyone has their opinion ,but I think almost no one would say Stevie Wonder out shined them on that tour.As Bill Wyman said, “no one could touch us in 1972-1973 live”.And yeah there might have been some shows in those years that weren’t all great, just like the El Mocambo show that wasn’t.And nothing tops Street Fighting Man live 1972-1973

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-15 21:24 by Taylor1.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 15, 2022 19:47

For me I am slightly biased to El Mocambo as “Love you live “was my very first Stones album,and for me it continues that initial experience.It’s rugged,punky,dangerous and just blows me away each time I put it on the turntable.I think it’s the most played vinyl in my collection.
Interesting to hear Retired dog that the first night was”weaker”.Makes me wonder who decided upon that,hopefully not the powers that decided to delay it’s release for so long.
I hear what your saying there Taylor 1.I love Mick Taylor on there,pure genius.It might just be that Brussels is the best live album with Mick T,and El Mocambo with Ronnie.
And of course an album recorded now in a club,sadly would emphasise the decline in Keef and Ronnie’s playing power.

Date: June 15, 2022 21:01

Ronnie is great on LA Friday. He is also as is the rest of the band on Atlantic City and Tokyo Dome.And yes on El Mocambo. But this century he and Keith haven’t been great IMO. Keith was never better than in 1989-1990 IMO.And yes the band is great on El Mocambo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-15 21:28 by Taylor1.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 16, 2022 02:28

El Mocambo concert rocks hard but that 1997 one is pretty good too

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: June 16, 2022 18:34

The El Mocambo version of LSTNT is the absolute worst version of the song I've ever heard.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: June 16, 2022 20:36

I love the version of LSTNT on El Mocambo...

Date: June 16, 2022 20:44

The Sicilian
The El Mocambo version of LSTNT is the absolute worst version of the song I've ever heard.

Enjoy the Honk version smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 17, 2022 07:57

rollmops

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

EL MOCAMBO and "pretty good" in Chicago 1997 does not equate.

Huge difference.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 17, 2022 11:15

GasLightStreet
rollmops

EL MOCAMBO and "pretty good" in Chicago 1997 does not equate.

Huge difference.

Bottom line: We loooove those small venues. They bring up the best in the band.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 17, 2022 12:34

The Sicilian

Knebworth was pretty bad as well. They didn't get it right until 1981.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 17, 2022 17:40

My wife's getting annoyed with me.

I keep walkin' round the house going, "I said DADDY...you're fool!"

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 17, 2022 17:48

Spodlumt
I love the version of LSTNT on El Mocambo...

I hate this song. This and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby are my least favourite “mainstream” Stones songs. Of course, both are wonderful compared to most of the Satanic record! But, they’re dire.

Rod

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: June 17, 2022 17:57

stargroover

Nonsense!
72 and 73 the group is at its peak then from 75 it is freewheeling, without Mick Taylor ....
The only interest of El Mocambo is that it is recorded in a small club.

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: June 17, 2022 17:57

Nonsense!
72 and 73 the group is at its peak then from 75 it is freewheeling, without Mick Taylor ....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 17, 2022 18:03

Mathijs
The Sicilian

Knebworth was pretty bad as well. They didn't get it right until 1981.

Mathijs

If you're not a fan of the arrangement, fair enough (though I disagree), but I don't think it's fair to equate it with Knebworth. That version is a train wreck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-17 18:08 by ryanpow.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: June 17, 2022 20:11

steenhorst
Nonsense!

I don't understand why people feel personaly attaced, when somebody has a different opinion about what ever and start to blame them or call their point of view nonsence.
It's some kind of absolutism, that is frightened by other points of view.
There is no reason to get frightened or angry about it.
Well, that's just my point of view.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 17, 2022 20:51

I always preferred Ron's playing and the looser rock n' roll sound he bought to the Stones over Talyor. I find Taylor's playing too distracting, long-winded and even a bit dated now.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 17, 2022 22:57

WorriedAboutYou
I always preferred Ron's playing and the looser rock n' roll sound he bought to the Stones over Talyor. I find Taylor's playing too distracting, long-winded and even a bit dated now.

You make a legit point imo.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home