Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 10, 2022 00:51

Cristiano Radtke
Rob Bowman recalls seeing The Rolling Stones at Toronto's El Mocambo 45 years ago

[www.cbc.ca]

Good catch Cristiano! Pretty much verbatim what he described at the live stream last month - I guess when you experience something that big to you, the story becomes ingrained, as it did with my meeting with the boys all those years ago. I’ll be looking for him at Hyde Park!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 10, 2022 03:19

treaclefingers
georgelicks
mailexile67
What has been high position in UK and US Charts, and what about worldwide sales up to now?!

UK chart: #24, 1 week on the Top 200
US chart: #61, 1 week on the Top 200

Sales: 15k in the US, 3.5k in the UK, 8k in Japan, worldwide around 50-70k.

Not too bad for a product that is quite expensive relative to the competition.

Sadly just like I said before, it was released about 20-30 years late, in 2022 only the most loyal die hard Stones fans could care about a live show from 45 years ago, general audience could care less about it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2022 04:37

georgelicks
treaclefingers
georgelicks
mailexile67
What has been high position in UK and US Charts, and what about worldwide sales up to now?!

UK chart: #24, 1 week on the Top 200
US chart: #61, 1 week on the Top 200

Sales: 15k in the US, 3.5k in the UK, 8k in Japan, worldwide around 50-70k.

Not too bad for a product that is quite expensive relative to the competition.

Sadly just like I said before, it was released about 20-30 years late, in 2022 only the most loyal die hard Stones fans could care about a live show from 45 years ago, general audience could care less about it.
d

Quite right...but even the selling the CD over $40 is a bit ridiculous. It's like they acknowledge they're not going to sell to the masses, "it's only for the die-hard's so we may as well make it a 'boutique' product".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2022 09:01

Lets Spend The Night Tagether ......

Lurv the pounding they give it .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: June 10, 2022 10:28

Yesterday I got my Neon light of the El Mocambo logo in pink lights... it looks pretty cool...

Neon El Mocambo

sjouke

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:00

Lookin ' GOOD ..........

Lurv the CD cover esp with pink inlay ......
How much can more they do with that tongue ... ya can see it from a mile away

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 10, 2022 18:25

Cristiano Radtke
Rob Bowman recalls seeing The Rolling Stones at Toronto's El Mocambo 45 years ago

[www.cbc.ca]

I wanna know what he had for lunch

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 13, 2022 16:57

Still completely hooked on this, playing it 10 times a day, what an absolutely killer release!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 13, 2022 17:14

Best Stones live album ever.
And it's in my top 5 Stones albums ever

Date: June 13, 2022 17:32

stargroover

Yeah, I'd like to know what went into the initial decision of not releasing this instead of LYL. (I know I'll get a little hate for that, but whatever).

Someone probably thought something like, "you know, we should include a few songs from El Mocambo, it really is quite good. Let's make a whole 'side' out of it on the new live album".

Maybe the whole club vibe was antithetical to the BIG stadium albums they were releasing in the 70s, so a whole club album wasn't even an option they thought of? And then after it was in the rear view mirror so no one thought about it seriously any more.

"Well, we gave them a whole side, what do they want a whole album of this?".

But the fans knew better.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 13, 2022 17:59

treaclefingers
stargroover

Yeah, I'd like to know what went into the initial decision of not releasing this instead of LYL. (I know I'll get a little hate for that, but whatever).

Someone probably thought something like, "you know, we should include a few songs from El Mocambo, it really is quite good. Let's make a whole 'side' out of it on the new live album".

Maybe the whole club vibe was antithetical to the BIG stadium albums they were releasing in the 70s, so a whole club album wasn't even an option they thought of? And then after it was in the rear view mirror so no one thought about it seriously any more.

Agreed, it is a bit of a head scratcher, though of course there's a "market" for both...considering how many people are excited or at least anticipating a possible release of "Paris '76" some day.

It seems there could have been room for LYL and El Mocambo but maybe once it was in the rear view as you said, and they started getting into new sessions that would become 'Some Girls', they maybe didn't want to revisit.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 13, 2022 18:07

treaclefingers
stargroover

Well, as far as I can recall, El Mocambo happened specifically to "record some live tracks for the next live album". Maybe they got the idea to include some rarities ("for the old folks and diehards!") after the Knebworth gig (Route 66, Around And Around, Little Red Rooster, Let's Spend The Night Together were already played there) and (rightfully) decided that the Knebworth performances were not quite up to par (and marred by technical problems, too), leading to the decision to set up special shows to properly record the stuff they had in mind.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 13, 2022 18:07

treaclefingers
stargroover

My possible explanation is that LYL was recorded and ready all, and maybe they felt that it was bit dull, so they wanted to spice it up a bit a year later by adding a few songs from El Mo. In the mid 70s live albums were only just beginning to emerge as big moneymaking product and probably they wanted their album to reflect their massive popularity by having a loud and huge crowd on it, so there probably was never a question of having the complete El Mo recording instead of LYL.

Date: June 13, 2022 18:12

SomeGuy
treaclefingers
stargroover

My possible explanation is that LYL was recorded and ready all, and maybe they felt that it was bit dull, so they wanted to spice it up a bit a year later by adding a few songs from El Mo. In the mid 70s live albums were only just beginning to emerge as big moneymaking product and probably they wanted their album to reflect their massive popularity by having a loud and huge crowd on it, so there probably was never a question of having the complete El Mo recording instead of LYL.

Yeah I think that's right, and then 5 years later you get Still Life, which is a continuation of capturing that 'huge crowd' vibe.

And who knows, maybe for the time that was the right decision? It's too bad that it took so long to ultimately get Elmo, but at least we're finally here.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 13, 2022 18:25

Still waiting for mine in the post after ordering it about two weeks ago, and it's coming from Germany costing about £17 so will have to email them.

Didn't really look around much, but now found out I could order it from my local record store, Banquet Records in Kingston for even less, and pick it up within a couple of days.

I'm really itching to get this double CD as soon as possible now.
Will order it from Banquet Records and a friend of mine can have the one coming from Germany.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: June 13, 2022 18:38

My unboxing in spanish

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 13, 2022 19:39

Nice unboxing.I am convinced the coloured vinyl sounds better than the black vinyl.
Let’s hope those with the power realise the satisfaction us diehards got with El Mocambo.And maybe we get the “Double door” in amazing quality if someone was recording it.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 13, 2022 21:02

Looks like The Stones shop in Carnaby Street here in London Town is the cheapest price at 15 quid if you buy direct from the store, or another couple of quid to send within the UK.

Not bad at all.

Might take a trip and get a few CD's for me, and a couple of friends. smileys with beer

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: June 13, 2022 21:28

Does any have or can scan in hi-res the inner sleeves of the cd by any chance? Thanks in advance!

Date: June 13, 2022 21:35

just sensational packaging on that coloured vinyl.

Thanks Roger.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: June 13, 2022 21:52

Paul Kersey
Does any have or can scan in hi-res the inner sleeves of the cd by any chance? Thanks in advance!

You've got mail.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: June 13, 2022 21:55

BlueTurns2Grey
Paul Kersey

You've got mail.

Thanks mate! smileys with beer

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: June 13, 2022 22:14

Paul Kersey
BlueTurns2Grey
Paul Kersey

You've got mail.

Thanks mate! smileys with beer

You're welcome.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 14, 2022 10:21

retired_dog
treaclefingers
stargroover

Well, as far as I can recall, El Mocambo happened specifically to "record some live tracks for the next live album". Maybe they got the idea to include some rarities ("for the old folks and diehards!") after the Knebworth gig (Route 66, Around And Around, Little Red Rooster, Let's Spend The Night Together were already played there) and (rightfully) decided that the Knebworth performances were not quite up to par (and marred by technical problems, too), leading to the decision to set up special shows to properly record the stuff they had in mind.

Yeah, the idea was to record some blues classics in a club gig to include in the live album.

Contrary to most people here, I always thought Love You Live was their best live album, by far. It was my first Stones record, the one that got me hooked.
For the first nine years of my life I walked the face of this planet knowing something was missing, until LYL came out and happened to land on my turntable... Took me ten seconds of Honky Tonk Women to know I have found just what I was looking for.
Can never forget that feeling. It's still there.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 14, 2022 13:32

z
retired_dog
treaclefingers
stargroover

Yeah, the idea was to record some blues classics in a club gig to include in the live album.

Contrary to most people here, I always thought Love You Live was their best live album, by far. It was my first Stones record, the one that got me hooked.
For the first nine years of my life I walked the face of this planet knowing something was missing, until LYL came out and happened to land on my turntable... Took me ten seconds of Honky Tonk Women to know I have found just what I was looking for.
Can never forget that feeling. It's still there.
I agree , hearing Keith hitting those open G chords to start Honky Tonk and the roar of approval from the crowd and the announcer in French announcing the Stones and Ollie and Charlie's drum and it always gets me pumped .

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 14, 2022 18:33

amazon us has 27% off deal on 2CD version
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 14, 2022 21:43

I bought the 4LP version last week.

I amm still blown away by the superior quality of this record.

Great sound quality.
Great performace

Best Live Record by the Stones ever...?

Probably.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 14, 2022 22:14

stargroover

Agreed on both counts.

This is the most rock and roll album I've ever heard. It's like the Stones' calling card. Everything you heard about the band is true and represented on this swarthy, alpha, swaggering release.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 14, 2022 22:20

WorriedAboutYou
stargroover

Agreed on both counts.

This is the most rock and roll album I've ever heard. It's like the Stones' calling card. Everything you heard about the band is true and represented on this swarthy, alpha, swaggering release.

Well said, WAY. It's the epitome of rock n roll. Definitely in their top 2 live releases with Ya-Ya's.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 15, 2022 02:27

NashvilleBlues
WorriedAboutYou
stargroover

Agreed on both counts.

Well said, WAY. It's the epitome of rock n roll. Definitely in their top 2 live releases with Ya-Ya's.
Brussels is as good as both of those if not better.Ditto Atlantic City 1989 and Tokyo 1990

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home