Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2022 03:10

A lotta good stuff here...I think Luxury is the cut that compares most favourably with it's album counterpart.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2022 03:38

Would be cool for the upcoming shows if they dedicated a segment for a mini-set of "El Mocambo" rarities...Hand of Fate, Hot Stuff, Luxury...maybe switch it up every other night with Crazy Mama, and a couple of the cover tunes including Crackin' Up and Around And Around. Dance Little Sister and Rip This Joint would be fantastic, but doubt they could do them justice these days. Most bands have a brand new album to promote and play some new tunes from, but this would be the next best thing for the Stones. I can hear Mick now: "And now some tunes from our recently released live club show from 1977....EL MOCAMBO"!!! It would definitely help sales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-31 04:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 31, 2022 04:51

Hairball
Would be cool for the upcoming shows if they dedicated a segment for a mini-set of "El Mocambo" rarities...Hand of Fate, Hot Stuff, Luxury...maybe switch it up every other night with Crazy Mama, and a couple of the cover tunes including Crackin' Up and Around And Around. Dance Little Sister and Rip This Joint would be fantastic, but doubt they could do them justice these days. Most bands have a brand new album to promote and play some new tunes from, but this would be the next best thing for the Stones. I can hear Mick now: "And now some tunes from our recently released live club show from 1977....EL MOCAMBO"!!! It would definitely help sales.

That would be great!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 31, 2022 12:42

Hairball
Doubt Mick would do it.Hand of Fate should be a regular song t their shows together with Too Tight, She Was Hotand Salt of the Earth,rather than songs like Miss Youwhich need a rest

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 31, 2022 12:52

Hand of Fate, with all those words?
I don't think they will, but if they do, I'm sure it's gonna be great!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 31, 2022 13:17

I haven't got a huge collection of CD's and DVD's but I've ordered the El Mocambo CD's and can't wait for the postie putting it through my letterbox.

Got some decent Sony headphones these days and just gotta hear these 2 CD's.smileys with beer

Date: May 31, 2022 13:24

Taylor1
Doubt Mick would do it.Hand of Fate should be a regular song t their shows together with Too Tight, She Was Hotand Salt of the Earth,rather than songs like Miss Youwhich need a rest

Well, Hand Of Fate is very easy to fvck up, because of some of the changes in there (listen to the 2002/2003-versions).

Too Tight deserves to remain in obscurity, imo.

I wouldn't mind songs like Too Tough, Hang Fire or If You Can't Rock Me, though.

If they'll have a go at She Was Hot again, I hope Mick will try to sing the melody (he didn't in 2006).

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 31, 2022 14:01

I finally listened to this release and I was blown away in ecstasy . I mean wow ! I did not agree with some that said Jagger's voice was bad as I found it pretty normal and in good shape . The playing between Keith and Ronnie was good and Billy Preston was rather pedestrian (I am a fan of his B3 work ) All in all a great release and I did love the bonus track of Worried About You and wished that Mick sang more falsetto in the tune as in the Tattoo You record and subsequent live performances such as Radio City Music Hall in March 2006 . Worried Life Blues was also good as the Stones are great playing the Blues . Very good sound quality and very good mix . Thank You Mick and Keith for green lighting this release !hot smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 31, 2022 14:15

What a truely fantastic release this is.
Together with Brussels, GYYYO and LA Friday, it shows the band in it's peak. But imagine this El Mocambo show without Bill Wyman....it would be a much poorer affair. He was realy in his prime in the late 70s and early 80s.

Date: May 31, 2022 14:17

And since the playing is so excellent, I won't complain about the added echo or anything, I'm just amazed.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 31, 2022 19:01

Tumbling Dice sounds really great on here as well. I don't look forward to it in the setlists anymore, as it sounds far too boring these days I feel. Same with Miss You and IORR. But there is just such a fire on this album. Let's Spend the Night Together, Around and Around, IORR.

The whole damn album really does ROCK!!!

Date: May 31, 2022 20:46

Erik_Snow
What a truely fantastic release this is.
Together with Brussels, GYYYO and LA Friday, it shows the band in it's peak. But imagine this El Mocambo show without Bill Wyman....it would be a much poorer affair. He was realy in his prime in the late 70s and early 80s.
Those are all peaks but the best shows from 1972 and Atlantic City 1989 and Tokyo 1990 are just as great.And try removing Bill's bass from El Mocambo and you can see he was essential to their best performances

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-31 20:48 by Taylor1.

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: May 31, 2022 20:56

Amazing release - wish the Black and Blue cuts wwould have made the 1978 setlists

Date: May 31, 2022 21:30

Taylor1
Those are all peaks but the best shows from 1972 [....]

I didn't include Ladies & Gentlemen, great as it is, because of the muddy soundquality. And, because there were far better shows in July 1972, than in June. Besides, the quality of the official L&G is not even as good as some of the bootlegs we allready had.

Date: May 31, 2022 21:35

Elmo Lewis
hbwriter
Does Jagger say "tout le long de la ligne" (all down the line in french) during the second verse?

Saw ya on TV this morning discussing Marilyn.

I keep segue-ing into 'Too Tough" from that.

Date: May 31, 2022 21:36

Taylor1
[...] Atlantic City 1989 and Tokyo 1990 are just as great.And try removing Bill's bass from El Mocambo and you can see he was essential to their best performances

That's your opinion, I don't care for the sound or the fully "perfected" performances of 1989/1990 anymore, even though it was great seeing them live back then. But the slickness of the late 80s doesn't rock my boat. Just like pink jackets or mullet hair styles is not something that I find attractive. There's no "danger" in that music, to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-31 21:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 31, 2022 21:38

VoodooLounge13
Tumbling Dice sounds really great on here as well. I don't look forward to it in the setlists anymore, as it sounds far too boring these days I feel. Same with Miss You and IORR. But there is just such a fire on this album. Let's Spend the Night Together, Around and Around, IORR.

The whole damn album really does ROCK!!!

Yes, when Jagger really gets going in the outro, "I sure like to party down.." it makes the tune.
"Around & Around" is fire.

Date: May 31, 2022 22:50

Erik_Snow
Taylor1
[...] Atlantic City 1989 and Tokyo 1990 are just as great.And try removing Bill's bass from El Mocambo and you can see he was essential to their best performances

That's your opinion, I don't care for the sound or the fully "perfected" performances of 1989/1990 anymore, even though it was great seeing them live back then. But the slickness of the late 80s doesn't rock my boat. Just like pink jackets or mullet hair styles is not something that I find attractive. There's no "danger" in that music, to me.
Keith was as good as he ever was on guitar on those 1989 -1990 tours. It wasn't slick at all. But to each his own

Date: May 31, 2022 22:59

Yes, Keith was really great in 1989-1990. So was Bill. But Rolling Stones is more than what each members alone does.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 31, 2022 23:53

Erik_Snow
Yes, Keith was really great in 1989-1990. So was Bill. But Rolling Stones is more than what each members alone does.
smileys with beer

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 5, 2022 01:22

I was always curious what El Mocambo would sound like should it ever be released but my god it’s shit hot. They’re on fire and I love the song selection, so refreshing. I think it’s possibly my fave live album now though only time will tell if it stays that way and Ya-Yas doesn’t sneak back in there.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: June 5, 2022 01:49

I love route 66, and really enjoy LSTNT.
I try to visualize Mick on such a small stage, not much room to prance around, I assume his finger was wagging alot during ADTL and Star Star.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2022 02:24

Yeah Lets Spend copped a bit of slangin here
But its a full on drivin' soul rocker ...

Try goin' out in ya car with Jumpin' Jack blasting ... hold that wheel ...tight

ROCKMAN

Date: June 5, 2022 11:18

My only complaint with this release, is that I don't see much reason for listening to my bootlegs and downloads of any 1976 show any longer !

With a couple of exceptions, classics like Tumbling Dice, there's so many numbers on this release that the "definite" version, even when including the studio recordings.

Let's Spend The Night Together and Hot Stuff for instance, are absolutely stunning

But; the long rumoured "From The Vaults - Paris 1976" release..... I really doubt they would put out Paris 1976 after THIS. I don't mind Paris.....but El Mocambo 1977 takes everything to a different dimension.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-05 11:32 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 5, 2022 13:48

What has been high position in UK and US Charts, and what about worldwide sales up to now?!

Date: June 5, 2022 22:31

Only thing I'm listening to more than ELMO right now is OOT.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 5, 2022 22:51

mailexile67
What has been high position in UK and US Charts, and what about worldwide sales up to now?!

UK chart: #24, 1 week on the Top 200
US chart: #61, 1 week on the Top 200

Sales: 15k in the US, 3.5k in the UK, 8k in Japan, worldwide around 50-70k.

Date: June 5, 2022 22:52

georgelicks
mailexile67

UK chart: #24, 1 week on the Top 200
US chart: #61, 1 week on the Top 200

Sales: 15k in the US, 3.5k in the UK, 8k in Japan, worldwide around 50-70k.

Not too bad for a product that is quite expensive relative to the competition.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 9, 2022 23:48

Rob Bowman recalls seeing The Rolling Stones at Toronto's El Mocambo 45 years ago

[www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 10, 2022 00:07

Erik_Snow
My only complaint with this release, is that I don't see much reason for listening to my bootlegs and downloads of any 1976 show any longer !

With a couple of exceptions, classics like Tumbling Dice, there's so many numbers on this release that the "definite" version, even when including the studio recordings.

Let's Spend The Night Together and Hot Stuff for instance, are absolutely stunning

But; the long rumoured "From The Vaults - Paris 1976" release..... I really doubt they would put out Paris 1976 after THIS. I don't mind Paris.....but El Mocambo 1977 takes everything to a different dimension.

Yup. Agreed. Would still welcome Paris but this release is a stunner.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home