Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: z ()
Date: May 24, 2022 11:04

Rockman
'cause they can't be THAT good...or can they?

Yeah man they are ...

Only the Stones can be that good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 11:36 by z.

Date: May 24, 2022 12:14

TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

As a guitarist of many years, I do not find the Ron Wood era particularly interesting. I do not find it hard at all to copy Ron Wood and I don't really enjoy his lead guitar tones. Perhaps if I didn't play guitar, I would be more enamored by his playing. drinking smiley

All I can add is that after working for 25+ years as a professional guitar teacher, me and my colleagues never ever got a single question about Ron Wood's playing. Quite a lot of questions about Mick Taylor's or Keith Richard's playing though. But then also never questions about the late Allan Holdsworth either. ( I couldn't even answer them). Just a statistical message.

So it could very well be that both Allan Holdsworth and Ron Wood, just like Jimi Hendriks, were innovators and changed guitar playing forever.

You never getting questions about Hendrix is extremely hard to believe.

I do get. Just naming him here because just like Allan Holdsworth, he was an innovator.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 24, 2022 13:10

I've just seen that El Mocambo has entered the Billboard 200 this week at No. 61. And for good measure, good ol' Hot Rocks has re-entered - again - at No. 186.

Many will point out, and quite validly too, that none of this is significant in terms of present day musical realities. Do the charts matter any more? Who cares anyway? How many sales does it take to reach the Top 200? and so on.

Well, yes, the numbers ARE small in terms of sales and streams. And few people care about the charts now. However, I submit that it does matter as it shows there is still a market, albeit small, out there for Stones-related material. Old and no-so-old. They do still have a place on the racks of the few record stores still operating. And just maybe the interest of enough music consumers will be sufficiently piqued to incentivise the band to release new material (gasp!)...

We can but hope, however small that hope might be!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 24, 2022 14:13

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

As a guitarist of many years, I do not find the Ron Wood era particularly interesting. I do not find it hard at all to copy Ron Wood and I don't really enjoy his lead guitar tones. Perhaps if I didn't play guitar, I would be more enamored by his playing. drinking smiley

All I can add is that after working for 25+ years as a professional guitar teacher, me and my colleagues never ever got a single question about Ron Wood's playing. Quite a lot of questions about Mick Taylor's or Keith Richard's playing though. But then also never questions about the late Allan Holdsworth either. ( I couldn't even answer them). Just a statistical message.

So it could very well be that both Allan Holdsworth and Ron Wood, just like Jimi Hendriks, were innovators and changed guitar playing forever.

You never getting questions about Hendrix is extremely hard to believe.

I do get. Just naming him here because just like Allan Holdsworth, he was an innovator.

I don’t even think the brash Ron “I can play like Keith but he can’t play like me” Wood would compare himself to Hendrix lol

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2022 14:34

z
Rockman

Yeah man they are ...

Haha, I don' t think rock and roll can be played any better than that. And this probably is not even the best Stones live release... Go figure...

- Doxa

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 24, 2022 16:15

From Billboard:

NEW ENTRIES
"The Rolling Stones’ live archival album, Live at the El Mocambo, debuts at No. 61 on Billboard 200 and No. 5 on Top Album Sales with nearly 12,000 units (a negligible sum from streams) nearly all from physical sales. The release chronicles two secret concerts the Stones staged at the El Mocambo club in Toronto in March of 1977. It includes the band’s full set from the March 5 show and three bonus tracks from the March 4 concert."

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 24, 2022 17:02

Weirdly, another track that sparkles for me is HTW - by then, it had become, for me anyway, kind of a lazy, meandering, unfocused party opener - good, but often lifeless. Here, it's tight but also somehow loose, intense, fat-free and an electrifying reminder as the night begins - "Yes, we are still the Rolling Stones."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 17:03 by hbwriter.

Date: May 24, 2022 17:09

I swear I'm losing it over this record...Charlie's driving of Hand of Fate - the steam engine of this crazy train - my eyes literally well with tears... I always thought I knew how much I loved this band... now I'm not so sure.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2022 17:15

hbwriter
Weirdly, another track that sparkles for me is HTW - by then, it had become, for me anyway, kind of a lazy, meandering, unfocused party opener - good, but often lifeless. Here, it's tight but also somehow loose, intense, fat-free and an electrifying reminder as the night begins - "Yes, we are still the Rolling Stones."

Great description, sums it perfectly for me. You should be a writer.

Date: May 24, 2022 17:38

One other gush of emotion/realization for the morning - I keep trying to figure out why this record, beyond just the impressive performances, is affecting me as it is.

I think part of it is, we are hearing them shed one version of themselves as they prepare for a new stripped-down phase - the "untouchable yet out of touch" arena band is at a crossroads - and they are dealing with it. From this point on, the new phase truly starts- the Black and Blue auditions/experiments are done, the new form is taking shape and the Taylor-era is now firmly in the rear-view mirror.

I think I will listen to everything post-Macambo with fresh ears now - Mocambo is a "missing link" piece for me that really helps make sense of everything that followed. It's past, present and future -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 18:20 by hbwriter.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 17:54

hbwriter
One other gush of emotion/realization for the morning - I keep trying to figure out why this record, beyond just the impressive performances, is affecting me as it is.

I think part of it is, we are hearing them shed one version of themselves as they prepare for a new stripped-down phase - the "untouchable yet out of touch" arena band is at a crossroads - and they are dealing with it. From this point on, the new phase truly starts- the Black and Blue auditions/experiments are done, the new form is taking shape and the Taylor-era is now firmly in the rear-view mirror.

I think I will listen to everything post-Macambo with fresh ears now - Mocambo is a "missing link" piece for me that really helps make sense of everything that followed.

That's an interesting take, hb.

Date: May 24, 2022 18:26

two boxes of tissues later lol - my brain just won't shut down on this #Verklempt

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 24, 2022 18:39

VoodooLounge13
hbwriter

I think I will listen to everything post-Macambo with fresh ears now - Mocambo is a "missing link" piece for me that really helps make sense of everything that followed.

The "missing link piece" thought is indeed interesting. For me it was like having "Love You Live" which felt a bit like a letdown, a bit too slick and uninspired after GYYYO apart from the Mocambo side and a (very) small handful of other tracks and next I remember, I was in a small record shop in London when suddenly the just-released 12" of Miss You was blasted over the speakers... "Uuuuh, it's the Stones!" Not exactly a fan of Disco Music, but this one I instantly liked. It sounded fresh, totally unexpected - Disco, yes, but with an undeniably bluesy flavour - "something has happened with my band!", a feeling that came to full fruition when the Some Girls album came out a bit later that now sounds like a natural progression from the energetic, stripped-down, back to the roots approach of El Mocambo.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 24, 2022 18:49

z
Rockman

Yeah man they are ...

On a rare occasion I do have my doubts, I must say. Especially during St. Louis, there seemed to be a guitar playing when neither Ronnie or Keef was. That got me thinking, and I just hope that is not the case.

Date: May 24, 2022 19:22

retired_dog
VoodooLounge13
hbwriter

The "missing link piece" thought is indeed interesting. For me it was like having "Love You Live" which felt a bit like a letdown, a bit too slick and uninspired after GYYYO apart from the Mocambo side and a (very) small handful of other tracks and next I remember, I was in a small record shop in London when suddenly the just-released 12" of Miss You was blasted over the speakers... "Uuuuh, it's the Stones!" Not exactly a fan of Disco Music, but this one I instantly liked. It sounded fresh, totally unexpected - Disco, yes, but with an undeniably bluesy flavour - "something has happened with my band!", a feeling that came to full fruition when the Some Girls album came out a bit later that now sounds like a natural progression from the energetic, stripped-down, back to the roots approach of El Mocambo.

nice!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 24, 2022 21:22

Indeed, there is something about the playing on this show that reminds me of the 78 tour. And there has always been something about they playing on that tour that reminds of GYYO. It's like they were returning to form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-24 21:53 by ryanpow.

Date: May 24, 2022 23:07

Was Keith singing in that show? There's some vocal sections where there's more than Mick and Billy.
It's been a long time since I was truly exhilirated by a Stones release. I been listening to Mocambo non stop, and I know this is the greatest rockn roll band ever.
I wish that the the twins had given Bill Wyman so much more recognition. His playing is so inspired. You can tell when he is kind of entertaining himself in parts of 'Hot Stuff' e.g. What is innate in his playing throughout, is that he knuckles down immediately whenever there is a solo. When he knows Ron or Keith are taking off, he locks down the basement.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 25, 2022 00:16

ryanpow
Indeed, there is something about the playing on this show that reminds me of the 78 tour. And there has always been something about they playing on that tour that reminds of GYYO. It's like they were returning to form.
They were as good if notbetter in 1972 1973 and 1975 than1969 or 1977.There was no form they needed to return to

Date: May 25, 2022 01:08

Taylor1
ryanpow
They were as good if notbetter in 1972 1973 and 1975 than1969 or 1977.There was no form they needed to return to

uhhh.... oh yeah? ....Joking aside, when I say return to form, I mean its a kind of stripped down, getting back to their roots vibe I get. Without putting a judgment on it one way or the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-25 01:09 by ryanpow.

Date: May 25, 2022 01:18

I thought the same thing in St. Louis.

There were times "where did that note come from"

VoodooLounge13
z
Rockman

Yeah man they are ...

On a rare occasion I do have my doubts, I must say. Especially during St. Louis, there seemed to be a guitar playing when neither Ronnie or Keef was. That got me thinking, and I just hope that is not the case.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: May 25, 2022 01:25

Wow, that's "puff of smoke on the grassy knoll", stuff. Can you lead us to any specific time points where these mystery notes can be heard, but not seen? I was there and didn't have any similar thoughts, but I was oblivious to anything but life affirming joy, so absolutely not doubting you guys, just looking for clarification.

georgemcdonnell314

VoodooLounge13
z
Rockman

Yeah man they are ...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2022 01:40

shawnriffhard1
Wow, that's "puff of smoke on the grassy knoll", stuff. Can you lead us to any specific time points where these mystery notes can be heard, but not seen? I was there and didn't have any similar thoughts, but I was oblivious to anything but life affirming joy, so absolutely not doubting you guys, just looking for clarification.

georgemcdonnell314

VoodooLounge13
z
Rockman

Yeah man they are ...

Could have been Chuck who has been known to cover and/or enhance Keith's riffs occasionally with his synth/keyboards. I recall seeing Little T&A in the past, and the opening "guitar" riff was 99% Chuck.
It sucked the purity out of the tune as it sounded artificial and soulless, and it was all very deceiving...almost as bad as lip synching really, but instead of vocals it was Chuck mimicking Keith's guitar parts.
I'd rather see and hear a dilapidated sloppy riff played solely by Keith vs. a faux sounding riff enhanced by the smoke and mirrors of Chuck, but unfortunately this artificiality is what it has become more often than not.

Date: May 25, 2022 01:58

ryanpow
Taylor1
ryanpow

uhhh.... oh yeah? ....Joking aside, when I say return to form, I mean its a kind of stripped down, getting back to their roots vibe I get. Without putting a judgment on it one way or the other.
Fine,that assumes stripped down means no Bobby Keys or Jim Price as was the case in 1969 means they were back to their roots.1975 was the same band as 1977 one show.How were they stripped down in1977 and not1975.Same exact band.And to go back to their roots they would need Brian to replace Wood.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 25, 2022 01:59

Hairball
shawnriffhard1

georgemcdonnell314

VoodooLounge13
z
Rockman

Yeah man they are ...

Could have been Chuck who has been known to cover and/or enhance Keith's riffs occasionally with his synth/keyboards. I recall seeing Little T&A in the past, and the opening "guitar" riff was 99% Chuck.
It sucked the purity out of the tune as it sounded artificial and soulless, and it was all very deceiving...almost as bad as lip synching really, but instead of vocals it was Chuck mimicking Keith's guitar parts.
I'd rather see and hear a dilapidated sloppy riff played solely by Keith vs. a faux sounding riff enhanced by the smoke and mirrors of Chuck, but unfortunately this artificiality is what it has become more often than not.

Yes, I completely agree. Please give me sloppy, messy, ramshackle, BUT REAL, Keith riff any day to a rinky-dinky synth-y Chuck-y keyboard fill. Ugh! The Stones were always somewhat ragged. That is what made them great. An artificially propped-up mocked-up version of the band is something I certainly can do without.

Date: May 25, 2022 02:14

Taylor1
ryanpow
Taylor1
ryanpow

Fine,that assumes stripped down means no Bobby Keys or Jim Price as was the case in 1969 means they were back to their roots.1975 was the same band as 1977 one show.How were they stripped down in1977 and not1975.Same exact band.And to go back to their roots they would need Brian to replace Wood.

Troll Toll.

Date: May 25, 2022 02:42

I think "stripped down" refers to the environment, mood and vibe-- coming off of two years of shows that started with the trumpets heralding Fanfare for Common Man- the excess- the battleship size stages- the ATTITUDE was stripped down- and it shows in the brilliance of the performances

Date: May 25, 2022 02:47

hbwriter
I think "stripped down" refers to the environment, mood and vibe-- coming off of two years of shows that started with the trumpets heralding Fanfare for Common Man- the excess- the battleship size stages- the ATTITUDE was stripped down- and it shows in the brilliance of the performances
1975 was great and so were the performances.The Stones were never better than in 1972 and1973 as Bill Wyman says

Date: May 25, 2022 02:54

hbwriter

Yes, this. There's also something in the playing, like on Route 66 for example. It reminds me of how they played Chuck Berry type stuff in 69 and 78. To my ears.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 25, 2022 04:03

This is an absolute treasure of a release, no doubt. Enjoy!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: May 25, 2022 04:22

The Stones were peaking all over this release. They have had other peaks, but if El Mo isn’t the epitome of rock n roll, I don’t know what is.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home