Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 23, 2022 03:58

Route 66 just leaves me speechless - to hear them swing like that - I love what Ronnie brings to a tune they first nailed with Brian - I was at a dinner once with Bobby Troop, who wrote the song "Route 66." He'd never heard this version by the Stones - I had the bootleg 1976 show in my car and so I played it for Bobby - at the end he just smiled and said - "WOW - that's one of the best things I have ever heard."

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:02

Hand of Fate, Fool to Cry, and Crazy Mama are significantly better here than on the studio album.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:06

Palace Revolution 2000
Excellent, most excellent release. They were on fire. Guitars, esp Keith are very good.
It showed me once again that Bill Wyman was the one loss they could never recoup. His playing on '@#$%&' alone is worth the price.
Keith does some great lead guitar on 'Worried Life Blues".
"Hot Stuff", "Luxury", 'Night" are very good.
If I was going to nitpick, I'd have to say that often Billy Preston's piano sounds awful. The actual sound, not the performance.
Would this have been a better live release instead of 'Love you Live'?

Billy's piano is a bit loud/high in the mix at times, which is kind of annoying.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:13

mnewman505
Hand of Fate, Fool to Cry, and Crazy Mama are significantly better here than on the studio album.
Crazy Mama is not

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:22

Wyman's playing on the last chorus of Star Star is beyond inspired- he takes the entire band performance to a new level- it's thrilling - and Hand of Fate is like a roller coaster with no safety bar - exhilerating

I've never been a huge fan of the '76 live stuff- it's ok- but like '75 on a lot more cocaine - I like Knebworth - but I am obsessed with El Macambo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-23 04:35 by hbwriter.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 05:15

wiredallnight
JordyLicks96
Ok, call me a crazy mama (no pun intended spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) but is the version of Crazy Mama a mix of the March 4th show and March 5th show? I'm listening to them side by side and I'm hearing a lot of similarities and differences:

Differences: March 4th he sings "If you don't believe I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna bust your knees with a bullet" while March 5th he sings "If you don't believe I'm gonna do it, wait for the speed of the bullet."

Similar: March 4th & 5th he says, "You gonna pay high prices for your sacrifices, yes you will child."

Am I crazy? lol

Where do you have a recording of Crazy Mama from March 4?

It's the one that's circulated on bootlegs for years now as an incomplete version. You can find it here starting at [8:40]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: May 23, 2022 08:36

This release is pure magic. This is everything and more.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 23, 2022 10:19

Now we need :

Philie'72 on 2cds
London'71 on 2cds
Sydney'73 on 1cd (the 1st night is a scorcher, up there with Brussels).

Please!

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: May 23, 2022 10:45

JordyLicks96
wiredallnight

[...]

It's the one that's circulated on bootlegs for years now as an incomplete version. You can find it here starting at [8:40]

[www.youtube.com]

OK but I think this is also from March 5, not 4 (see also Zentgraf). The vocals are the same. If there are differences (the bootleg version is a bit hard to understand due to the quality of the recording) they may have done some overdubs on the official release.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2022 11:09

How good is Star Star and
Fool ta Cry ... so close yet so far .... PLAY LOUD

ROCKMAN

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 23, 2022 11:17

Worried about you - best live-version although Mick struggles with melody-lines

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 23, 2022 12:04

deardoctor
Worried about you - best live-version although Mick struggles with melody-lines
Actually I find the lower pitched variations of the melody quite charming. I would actually prefer if the whole original song would be that way.

Date: May 23, 2022 12:49

TravelinMan

As a guitarist of many years, I do not find the Ron Wood era particularly interesting. I do not find it hard at all to copy Ron Wood and I don't really enjoy his lead guitar tones. Perhaps if I didn't play guitar, I would be more enamored by his playing. drinking smiley

All I can add is that after working for 25+ years as a professional guitar teacher, me and my colleagues never ever got a single question about Ron Wood's playing. Quite a lot of questions about Mick Taylor's or Keith Richard's playing though. But then also never questions about the late Allan Holdsworth either. ( I couldn't even answer them). Just a statistical message.

So it could very well be that both Allan Holdsworth and Ron Wood, just like Jimi Hendriks, were innovators and changed guitar playing forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-23 13:07 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 23, 2022 14:59

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

As a guitarist of many years, I do not find the Ron Wood era particularly interesting. I do not find it hard at all to copy Ron Wood and I don't really enjoy his lead guitar tones. Perhaps if I didn't play guitar, I would be more enamored by his playing. drinking smiley

All I can add is that after working for 25+ years as a professional guitar teacher, me and my colleagues never ever got a single question about Ron Wood's playing. Quite a lot of questions about Mick Taylor's or Keith Richard's playing though. But then also never questions about the late Allan Holdsworth either. ( I couldn't even answer them). Just a statistical message.

So it could very well be that both Allan Holdsworth and Ron Wood, just like Jimi Hendriks, were innovators and changed guitar playing forever.
It's not about the playing of a single musician. Neither one of the Rolling Stones is a musician that puts up a lot of questions. What puts up a lot of questions and is not easy reproducible is the chemistry between them, how the play together.

Date: May 23, 2022 15:03

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

Not statistical, but anecdotal. Interesting just the same smiling smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 23, 2022 15:24

Keith's and Ron's guitar weaving is great throughout ...

Side note: Sounds to me Ron's guitar is a little out of tune on Fool to Cry.. ( G-string? ) ...

Still wonderful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-23 15:24 by schillid.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 15:59

Taylor1
mnewman505
Crazy Mama is not

Funny how everything is subjective and personal taste. To me, this is the highlight of El Mo!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 23, 2022 16:34

TravelinMan

TheflyingDutchman
All I can add is that after working for 25+ years as a professional guitar teacher, me and my colleagues never ever got a single question about Ron Wood's playing. .

Taylored Tailored to fit a mood of a song ...
Brian's Brains behind the 2nd guitar, slide, "sitar" , etc.

Ron Wood's guitar playing is like his painting ...
Inspired copying, Competent technique.
Nice tones and some subtle qualities.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 17:37

schillid
Keith's and Ron's guitar weaving is great throughout ...

Side note: Sounds to me Ron's guitar is a little out of tune on Fool to Cry.. ( G-string? ) ...

Still wonderful

That wouldn’t be out of tune, it’d be out of place

Rod

Date: May 23, 2022 17:58

schillid
TravelinMan

TheflyingDutchman
All I can add is that after working for 25+ years as a professional guitar teacher, me and my colleagues never ever got a single question about Ron Wood's playing. .

Taylored Tailored to fit a mood of a song ...
Brian's Brains behind the 2nd guitar, slide, "sitar" , etc.

Ron Wood's guitar playing is like his painting ...
Inspired copying, Competent technique.
Nice tones and some subtle qualities.

You're absolutely right. My bad. Never disagree with customers.thumbs up

Date: May 23, 2022 21:20

hbwriter
Wyman's playing on the last chorus of Star Star is beyond inspired- he takes the entire band performance to a new level- it's thrilling - and Hand of Fate is like a roller coaster with no safety bar - exhilerating

I've never been a huge fan of the '76 live stuff- it's ok- but like '75 on a lot more cocaine - I like Knebworth - but I am obsessed with El Macambo

Absolutely. It was the first thing that made me sit up straight, on my first time listen.

Date: May 23, 2022 21:20

My favorite moment of the album? Jagger's laugh in 'Fool to Cry".

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 23, 2022 21:47

Rockman
How good is Star Star and
Fool ta Cry ... so close yet so far .... PLAY LOUD

Never really loved Star Star before but on this, what an absolute trip to the stars it is. That ending is as sublime as music gets. It's truly exhilarating and inspired. It completely transformed the song.

Imagine being at this actual concert.

This album alone justifies the Stone's "best rock n' roll band in the world" status.

Is there anything else in the vaults that could rival this?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 23, 2022 22:15

hbwriter

Amen.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 23, 2022 23:25

wiredallnight
JordyLicks96
wiredallnight

[...]

[www.youtube.com]

OK but I think this is also from March 5, not 4 (see also Zentgraf). The vocals are the same. If there are differences (the bootleg version is a bit hard to understand due to the quality of the recording) they may have done some overdubs on the official release.

It's driving me crazy!! There are similarities and differences. I haven't heard anything about overdubs. There's a few lines sung differently which makes me think they're from 2 different nights.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 23, 2022 23:37

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

You never getting questions about Hendrix is extremely hard to believe.

Date: May 24, 2022 00:26

Any Q's about Blondie under the stage ?????????...hhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 24, 2022 04:07

Rockman
Any Q's about Blondie under the stage ?????????...hhhaaaaa

If not Blondie, it must have been someone else under the stage...'cause they can't be THAT good...or can they?

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 24, 2022 09:57

JordyLicks96
wiredallnight
JordyLicks96
wiredallnight

[...]

[www.youtube.com]

It's driving me crazy!! There are similarities and differences. I haven't heard anything about overdubs. There's a few lines sung differently which makes me think they're from 2 different nights.

Yes, apparently it's the same take as the bootleg, but a few of Jagger's lines were replaced.

Date: May 24, 2022 10:58

'cause they can't be THAT good...or can they?

Yeah man they are ...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home