Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 83
Re: The Rolling Stones Live at the El Mocambo
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 20, 2022 23:02

Taylor1
Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Leeds crushes this and I'll take L&G with worse sonics because the performance is incredible and they were at their absolute peak.

Exile band = greatest R&R band of all time.

some people think the band reached its live apex after Taylor left, probably around the time of the Hampton ppv.
This is not their best live release.Some of it is as great as they’ve been live.But nothing topsMidnight Rambler,You Can’t Always Get What You Want,Street FightingMan,from Brussels, Love in Vain from L&G, Sympathy from Get Yer Ya Ya’sOut, songs from LA Friday, Happy and others from Atlantic City 1989.And there other live performances during their incomparable career

I said 'this is their best OFFICIAL live release'.

To me, nothing beats the Brussels Affair bootleg, with the Wembley version of Happy, GS and SFM instead of the Brussels version. But this is also partially nostalgia, as I have listened to this boot since I was 10, and basically learned how to play guitar over it.

All the rest is just taste. I love the pure and raw energy of 1972 Stones, and Taylor is a fabulous lead player, but as a band they indeed got better with age, culminating into their best ever performance at Hampton 1981.

I find Charlie Watts to be at his peak on the 1975 tour, and the Mocambo recording is an excellent showcase of that. Wyman got better and better, going from decent in the early 1970's to this terrific melodic bass player in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

And for as much as I love Taylor's leads, as a musician and guitar player I simply find the interplay of Wood and Richards way more interesting, and much harder to do right. There's a dozen Mick Taylor's out their being able to play amazing solo's, but nobody can play these intricate Wood and Richards rhythm lines where two parts become much more than just that. What Wood and Richards where able to pull off in 1978 and 1981 on a good night hasn't been bettered ever since.

Mathijs
I like the way Wood and Richards played in 1975-1977 much better than the so called two guitar one sound of1978-1981.You are a extremely knowledgeable about guitar playing, but I think the weaving sound was not as good a listening experience. And the band wasn’t as good

He's a big BS er. He judges Stones concerts by bootlegs. I don't think this guy ever saw The Stones. And don't take his word word on guitars either. A lot of his "facts" aren't true. He just loves to here himself talk.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 20, 2022 23:32

Cooltoplady

He's a big BS er. He judges Stones concerts by bootlegs. I don't think this guy ever saw The Stones. And don't take his word word on guitars either. A lot of his "facts" aren't true. He just loves to here himself talk.

I didn't follow the conversation and don't know who you are talking about but I always have to say this: Judging by recordings, especially by bootlegs,is actually the only way to objectively judge performances. I have been to dozens of concerts and think your personal experience - how you are at that day, how much you slept, where your seat is, if you have annoying neighbors beside you - plays such a big role in how you perceive a concert that it will always affect your opinion of a performance. Also at loud volumes and bad acoustics details might go unnoticed. Therefore I think comparing recordings is as objective as it gets.

Date: May 20, 2022 23:32

Cooltoplady
Taylor1
Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Leeds crushes this and I'll take L&G with worse sonics because the performance is incredible and they were at their absolute peak.

some people think the band reached its live apex after Taylor left, probably around the time of the Hampton ppv.
This is not their best live release.Some of it is as great as they’ve been live.But nothing topsMidnight Rambler,You Can’t Always Get What You Want,Street FightingMan,from Brussels, Love in Vain from L&G, Sympathy from Get Yer Ya Ya’sOut, songs from LA Friday, Happy and others from Atlantic City 1989.And there other live performances during their incomparable career

To me, nothing beats the Brussels Affair bootleg, with the Wembley version of Happy, GS and SFM instead of the Brussels version. But this is also partially nostalgia, as I have listened to this boot since I was 10, and basically learned how to play guitar over it.

All the rest is just taste. I love the pure and raw energy of 1972 Stones, and Taylor is a fabulous lead player, but as a band they indeed got better with age, culminating into their best ever performance at Hampton 1981.

I find Charlie Watts to be at his peak on the 1975 tour, and the Mocambo recording is an excellent showcase of that. Wyman got better and better, going from decent in the early 1970's to this terrific melodic bass player in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

And for as much as I love Taylor's leads, as a musician and guitar player I simply find the interplay of Wood and Richards way more interesting, and much harder to do right. There's a dozen Mick Taylor's out their being able to play amazing solo's, but nobody can play these intricate Wood and Richards rhythm lines where two parts become much more than just that. What Wood and Richards where able to pull off in 1978 and 1981 on a good night hasn't been bettered ever since.

Mathijs
I like the way Wood and Richards played in 1975-1977 much better than the so called two guitar one sound of1978-1981.You are a extremely knowledgeable about guitar playing, but I think the weaving sound was not as good a listening experience. And the band wasn’t as good

He has seen the Stones. And he can play. I know that, as I stand besides him on stage smiling smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 21, 2022 10:52

DandelionPowderman
Cooltoplady
Taylor1
Mathijs
Taylor1
dcba
TravelinMan

By what standards?!?!

Mathijs

He has seen the Stones. And he can play. I know that, as I stand besides him on stage smiling smiley

Mathijs is great! Even more so because I always find myself agreeing on basically evertyhing he says! smileys with beer

Stones take El Mocambo into UK Charts
Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 20, 2022 20:02

Delighted to see that the El Mocambo release has entered today's UK Album Chart at No.24. It shows the appetite that exists out there for fresh material from The Stones.

Yes I know this is not NEW material, but given the amount of comparatively rarely played live numbers on it - Hand of Fate, Dance Little Sister, Luxury, Rooster, Melody, Rip This Joint, Around and Around - and the rather pleasing absence of certain warhorses, it will attract buyers looking for something different and fresh.

All in all a very pleasing development, though I'm not getting TOO carried away. I will be very surprised if it is still there next week.

Re: Stones take El Mocambo into Charts
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 20, 2022 20:25

In Germany it's #5 of the Top-100 Album-Charts - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

In Japan it's #7 of the Japanese Billboard 'Hot Albums' - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-21 01:00 by Irix.

Re: Stones take El Mocambo into UK Charts
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 20, 2022 20:27

From Music Week:

"Toronto’s bijou El Mocambo club has been the venue for many live albums over the years, with Elvis Costello, April Wine, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Sheriff all releasing albums entitled simply Live At The El Mocambo. Forty-five years after the fact, The Rolling Stones join that club and secure their 52nd chart album with their 23-song, 106-minute but previously unreleased 1977 set debuting at No.24 (2,583 sales)."

01 31,187 Florence + the Machine - Dance Fever [12,161 CDs, 6,520 vinyl, 6,664 cassettes, 1,796 downloads, 4,046 streaming]
02 28,206 Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers [1,643 downloads, 26,563 streaming]
03 8,171 Ed Sheeran - =
04 6,095 Little Mix - Between Us
05 5,692 The Black Keys - Dropout Boogie
06 5,650 Bear's Den - Blue Hours
07 4,443 Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR
08 4,211 Fleetwood Mac - 50 Years: Don't Stop
09 4,181 The Weeknd - The Highlights
10 4,041 Eminem - Curtain Call: The Hits

13 3,825 Jack Harlow - Come Home The Kids Miss You
17 3,225 Arcade Fire - WE
19 2,981 The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention
24 2,583 The Rolling Stones - Live At The El Mocambo [2,413 sales, 170 streaming]
28 2,502 Knucks - ALPHA PLACE
38 2,232 N-Dubz - Greatest Hits

Live At The El Mocambo moved 2,053 copies during the first 3 days (including pre-orders) and only 530 copies the rest of the week.

And 170 streaming points equals around 250,000 streams combined for the whole album, Lamars's album had over 30 million streams only in the UK.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 20:45

Sorry but number 24 in the first week doesn't sound good to me. In Germany number 5 isn't good either. Copacabana and Atlantic City both wenn number 2 in Germany. We shouldn't confuse our enthusiasm with anything succesfull from a economic point of view. For casual fans a newer show with the big hits is more attractive than this release with unknown songs.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 20, 2022 21:06

Date: May 20, 2022 21:08

hockenheim95
Sorry but number 24 in the first week doesn't sound good to me. In Germany number 5 isn't good either. Copacabana and Atlantic City both wenn number 2 in Germany. We shouldn't confuse our enthusiasm with anything succesfull from a economic point of view. For casual fans a newer show with the big hits is more attractive than this release with unknown songs.

I take your point of course. However getting a chart entry, even at a relatively low placing, it is much better than what usually happens to Stones vaults-type releases - sinking without a trace, and never bothering the charts at all. My joy and delight is totally tempered by reality in this case. I'm just glad to see the band in there somewhere, anywhere, even if only for a week...

Date: May 20, 2022 21:14

hockenheim95

Their latest vault release, Copacabana, charted at #195 in the UK selling under 800 copies, so #24 and 2,500 sales is a lot better.

Sadly there is not a wide audience out there wanting shows and old stuff from 50 years ago, time has passed for that kind of stuff because the target public is too old to care and mostly are already dead.

Date: May 20, 2022 21:15

El Mocambo was #1 in the general Sales-Charts on [www.jpc.de] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-20 21:30 by Irix.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 20, 2022 21:22

hockenheim95

No, it isn't. They don't buy those releases either. At least there's a market (albeit a small one) for releasing old concerts.

Date: May 20, 2022 21:25

georgelicks

Sadly there is not a wide audience out there wanting shows and old stuff from 50 years ago, time has passed for that kind of stuff because the target public is too old to care and mostly are already dead.

But Abkco's 18-disc Vinyl-Box with the Singles 1963-66 reached some days ago #7 in the general Sales-Charts on [www.jpc.de] .

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 20, 2022 21:28

georgelicks
hockenheim95

Their latest vault release, Copacabana, charted at #195 in the UK selling under 800 copies, so #24 and 2,500 sales is a lot better.

But the UK has is own "Video Charts" where Copacabana went #1. Do these 800 "copies" only include streams? Or do sales Count for both Charts?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2022 21:36

Not sure if this something to celebrate, or something to shrug at....in other words is it a "Hooray" or is it a "Whoop-de-do"...
By next week it won't matter as this will have completely disappeared off any charts, but that doesn't take away from the joy it provides the diehards who embrace it.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 20, 2022 21:52

georgelicks

Live At The El Mocambo moved 2,053 copies during the first 3 days (including pre-orders) and only 530 copies the rest of the week.
This does not surprise me at all. They did not make promo effort. For example in my woods, in Portugal. Basing on local retailer FNAC:
- it was not advertised at all
- there was no pre-sale offer on FNAC site
- there were only a few CD copies available online on May 13. All were gone within a couple of hours
- there is not a single copy available on the shelves in stores. All FNAC shops (at least in Porto) have only 1 copy of CD album for in-store display (Artigo de exposição). But those are not on the display but in storage rooms.
- there were not a single LP copy on FNAC site and only 1 copy is in 1 shop in Potro but again - Artigo de exposição.
Not to mention stupid price of 25.99€ for 2CD.

So guess ~2500 copies sold in the UK is a huge number.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 20, 2022 22:06

It’s an old show. Limited warhorses and limited promotion. I haven’t seen any new interviews to talk about it. To me it’s charting better than expected

Date: May 20, 2022 23:19

hockenheim95
georgelicks
hockenheim95

But the UK has is own "Video Charts" where Copacabana went #1. Do these 800 "copies" only include streams? Or do sales Count for both Charts?

It was included on the vídeo charts, the same sales for both charts, that shows how much do you need for a #1 DVD nowadays, the US video chart is gone since mid 2020.

Date: May 20, 2022 23:22

Irix
georgelicks

But Abkco's 18-disc Vinyl-Box with the Singles 1963-66 reached some days ago #7 in the general Sales-Charts on [www.jpc.de] .

How much is that? I won't be surprised if 500 copies sold or less is enough to reach #1 on that site, let alone in a single day.

Date: May 20, 2022 23:40

georgelicks

How much is that?

I have no clue, but jpc.de sells musically all genres from the oldest to the latest artist - so #7 for 56-59 years old stuff is not bad / somehow remarkable ....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 21, 2022 00:01

Group hug!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 21, 2022 01:11

No 4 in The Netherlands (musta been at least seventeen people bothered to buy it winking smiley
Now, my copy still hasn't arrived (my first order was canceled over some unexplained amazon problem). I have a feeling that the album will be really good.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 21, 2022 07:37

Going off topic a little, but how many streams equates to ‘one’ sale? It is my understanding that streaming is now counted alongside physical and download sales.

I think #24 is pretty respectable for this kind of release.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 21, 2022 09:06

georgelicks
hockenheim95

Lol. I guess if we're reading and posting here then by definition we are not dead and we DO care!

Date: May 21, 2022 11:40

Hairball
Not sure if this something to celebrate, or something to shrug at....in other words is it a "Hooray" or is it a "Whoop-de-do"...
By next week it won't matter as this will have completely disappeared off any charts, but that doesn't take away from the joy it provides the diehards who embrace it.

To call us diehards is, perhaps, slightly dismissive of those of us who have remained fans for more years than we care to remember. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your meaning and being an overly sensitive old age pensioner!!! If that is the case, then I apologise.

Your wider point about how this chart placing might be interpreted - hooray versus whoop-de-do - is is a good one. Certainly it will mean absolutely nothing to 99.99999% of the human race, while it will bring a pathetically childish delight to people such as myself, who remember 1964 more readily than 2022. In truth I was astounded to see it in the UK Album Chart at all. I certainly did not expect to, or even think of looking for it. I saw it by complete accident. Of course it will not be anywhere on the distant horizon next week, but for a release that was scantily publicised and barely marketed, it is a small achievement, and brings a frisson of excitement to the autumn of my life...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 21, 2022 12:55

In New York , I can download the entire El Mocambo off YouTube or internet postings for free.Does that cut into sales?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 21, 2022 13:22

Taylor1
In New York , I can download the entire El Mocambo off YouTube or internet postings for free.Does that cut into sales?
No since I think barely one downloads these tracks from YouTube. Most people will stream it, on Spotify of YouTube and that will get them money.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 21, 2022 13:44

Charts? They still have these? Who cares?

Rod

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 21, 2022 14:14

#1 in my heart

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 83

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home